Rich's Cycle Upholstery stuff

This is the place for dealers and other commercial entities to peddle their Ural/Dnepr related wares. One caveat only, all listings must include a price or the MSRP.
Forum rules
This is the place for dealers and other commercial entities to advertise and sell their Ural or Dnepr related wares. All listings must include a price or the MSRP.
Lmo
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2018

Re: Rich's Cycle Upholstery stuff

Post by Lmo » Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:05 pm

Well, good and bad I suppose. Having that ringer in the bank every week can be good, but getting used to it can be a beotch when it goes away; having worked construction for years it becomes a way of life but it sure can be "exciting" at the end of the month. I never made a lot of money while self employed but I always knew when I was going to be "laid off" and there's a certain confidence factor there. I guess...

Rich, have you ever made any "contoured" hack seat inserts? Something along the lines of Recaro seats? Wife has a hip thing going on and the stock lump seat causes all kind of grief after a half hour or so.

Maybe something with a bit more shape to hold her into the seat without having to use the footrest so much?

Maybe along the lines of

combinded with more lateral support, like

Lew Morris
Dnepr w/ '06 Ural Drive Train
C5 Power Arc
125/42 jets
Drilled slides/
.030" shims

1973 BMW R75/5 (original owner)
1947 HD FL (long gone, forever regretful)

Z-Man
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by Z-Man » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:38 pm

Hey Rich, back in 2010 you made a complete set of camo clothing for my 2010 Gear Up; tonnneau cover, hack windshield skirt, hack door cover, spare tire cover and even a cover for the shovel. Are you interested in making another set but in black?
'10 Ural Gear-Up (другая женщина the "Other Woman")
K&N Air Filter, Gossie Needles, 127.5/42 Jets, past 20K km and running strong. Someone stole my cats.
What broke and needed fixing: speedometer gear, hack stub shaft.
"Ride today, because you don't know what tomorrow brings"

Rich Maund

Post by Rich Maund » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:11 pm

Better to PM me if you want to talk.

I have been sculpting my sidecar seats with side bolsters for 20 years. Not as exaggerated as a Recarro as there just isn't room in the sidecar available. The seat bottom is only 17" wide. Also the sidecar seat back is much shorter than a car seat! But I do put in wedges of firm foam in them for cheek and back support. The newest factory seats are copying what I have done wince the 90's.

I can still make tonneaus for the older sidecars with the steel loop fasteners. I have a pattern for a new 2015 sidecar to work from using the twist fasteners. But having no actual sidecar like that here to test one on, I can't guaranty a perfect fit.

Tire covers and side curtains and tractor seat covers are all things I can still do here. Just PM me for info!
yeah, I might be addicted to brake fluid. But I can stop any time I want.

wildhair523

Post by wildhair523 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:16 pm

I just got my 2013 T home today and was interested in a getting a tonneau cover for the car. The guy I bought the bike from said he had gotten a lot of help from folks on this site & recommended I look in the The Gray Market here first. What's the cost for a black vinyl tonneau cover? Can I use it with the windshield up or does it have to be folded down? Totally new to Urals and sidecars period - so forgive me my ignorance.
Born OK the First Time!
"Do not go wherever the path leads. Instead, go where there is no path and leave a trail " Emerson

2000 Yamaha RSV
2013 Ural T - "Trece Suerte" - Lucky 13

Lee Pape

Post by Lee Pape » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:00 am

Lmo wrote:Well, good and bad I suppose. Having that ringer in the bank every week can be good, but getting used to it can be a beotch when it goes away; having worked construction for years it becomes a way of life but it sure can be "exciting" at the end of the month. I never made a lot of money while self employed but I always knew when I was going to be "laid off" and there's a certain confidence factor there. I guess...

Rich, have you ever made any "contoured" hack seat inserts? Something along the lines of Recaro seats? Wife has a hip thing going on and the stock lump seat causes all kind of grief after a half hour or so.

Maybe something with a bit more shape to hold her into the seat without having to use the footrest so much?
Back in 2002 Rich made my wife just a wedge shaped cushion for the sidecar. It is thicker towards the seat back. It has allowed her to get in and out easier as well and riding longer. It helps reduce the angle of the hips. Even after I bought her a Rich Maund sidecar sear she still has to have her Rich Maund seat wedge as well.
We may not have it all together,
But, together we have it all.

2007 Tourist "The un-named-one"
Riding and working on Urals since 2000.

Rich Maund

Post by Rich Maund » Thu May 04, 2017 9:42 am

Z-Man wrote:Hey Rich, back in 2010 you made a complete set of camo clothing for my 2010 Gear Up; tonnneau cover, hack windshield skirt, hack door cover, spare tire cover and even a cover for the shovel. Are you interested in making another set but in black?

I could do it next month. Pretty booked up busy here for now. This was my first chance to look at the board since the CRAP Rally. I can still build all that stuff! Black boat canvas or black marine vinyl?

Tonneaus are $300
Windshield skirts are $120
Side curtains are $120
Tire covers, open or closed center are $120.
I still have the pattern for the older shovels when Ural first started using them. $40. To custom tailor one, I'd need the shovel here to work with. But I have a small shovel collection. I may already have one here to work with. Just need a pic.

Prices include shipping in the USA.

Rich Maund

Post by Rich Maund » Thu May 04, 2017 9:46 am

wildhair523 wrote:I just got my 2013 T home today and was interested in a getting a tonneau cover for the car. The guy I bought the bike from said he had gotten a lot of help from folks on this site & recommended I look in the The Gray Market here first. What's the cost for a black vinyl tonneau cover? Can I use it with the windshield up or does it have to be folded down? Totally new to Urals and sidecars period - so forgive me my ignorance.

I can build tonneaus with leather patches with H shaped slits in them to allow the windshield rods to pass through. Also, my tonneaus can be rolled up towards the windshield and strapped into place to keep them out of the passengers knees when riding. If you remove the windshield, t he tonneau can be used as is. The w@*ed leather flaps on the patches can be pushed flat. They don't funnel water the way a grommet will. I also tailor my tonneaus to go over the grab handle vice through it. Better to keep water out that way. My tonneaus are also full double layers of marine fabric. They are much heavier than the soft light nylon ones that Ural has made for them.

flcruiser2302
Party Member
Party Member

Post by flcruiser2302 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:42 am

Hey Rich, I have a new terracotta red 2017 CT and the black pilot and side car seats get really hot in this Florida sun, would love to get them redone in something lighter, any ideas in a good color and an estimate?
John in Orlando Fl
2017 CT
2-1 exhaust with cats removed, K&N drop in filter installed along with Dobeck EJK set at stock settings.

flcruiser2302
Party Member
Party Member

Post by flcruiser2302 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:52 am

[quote="Lmo"]Well, good and bad I suppose. Having that ringer in the bank every week can be good, but getting used to it can be a beotch when it goes away; having worked construction for years it becomes a way of life but it sure can be "exciting" at the end of the month. I never made a lot of money while self employed but I always knew when I was going to be "laid off" and there's a certain confidence factor there. I guess...

Maybe along the lines of

combinded with more lateral support, like

Image[/access

Now that car seat is an idea! Just take it all put and mount one of those, I am sure a car seat can be found to fit. Back tilting would be great to have a little access to trunk, but lose security as well. Sure it could work.
John in Orlando Fl
2017 CT
2-1 exhaust with cats removed, K&N drop in filter installed along with Dobeck EJK set at stock settings.

Rich Maund

Post by Rich Maund » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:44 pm

A Ural sidecar is 15" wide at the bottom. Good luck finding anything but a small boat cushion to fit.

shawnfromvermont
Party Member
Party Member

Post by shawnfromvermont » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:45 pm

Looking for a seat headrest do you make them. I have a 2009 tourist.
SHAWN
2009 URAL T BLACK
1997 DUCATI 900SS
1978 CB750A
1999 VMAX

Rich Maund

Post by Rich Maund » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:06 pm

shawnfromvermont wrote:Looking for a seat headrest do you make them. I have a 2009 tourist.

Nope. Sorry. Not something I have ever looked at building.

shawnfromvermont
Party Member
Party Member

Post by shawnfromvermont » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:40 pm

Thanks
SHAWN
2009 URAL T BLACK
1997 DUCATI 900SS
1978 CB750A
1999 VMAX

flcruiser2302
Party Member
Party Member

Post by flcruiser2302 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:15 am

Rich Maund wrote:A Ural sidecar is 15" wide at the bottom. Good luck finding anything but a small boat cushion to fit.
So I guess making something like that, that will fit is beyond your capability? I am sure you would sell them. I may have to get an old seat frame and see what I can do.
John in Orlando Fl
2017 CT

cateyetech

Post by cateyetech » Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:05 am

flcruiser2302 wrote:
Rich Maund wrote:A Ural sidecar is 15" wide at the bottom. Good luck finding anything but a small boat cushion to fit.
So I guess making something like that, that will fit is beyond your capability? I am sure you would sell them. I may have to get an old seat frame and see what I can do.
No seat frame :lol:
it's just a piece of plywood :) so let's see your mad upholstery skills :P
2003 Gear-Up Ромашка Мзй
2000 Patrol Teh Урал
"If you have an Apple, I have an Apple and we exchange our apples, we each will have an Apple." "But if you have an idea, I have an idea and we exchange our ideas, we each will have two ideas."
fbeurne EST motorcycle forum France