K&N filters

This is the place for dealers and other commercial entities to peddle their Ural/Dnepr related wares. One caveat only, all listings must include a price or the MSRP.
Forum rules
This is the place for dealers and other commercial entities to advertise and sell their Ural or Dnepr related wares. All listings must include a price or the MSRP.
chaos2
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Re: K&N filters

Post by chaos2 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:22 pm

dogboy443 wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:37 pm
My 06 Tourist has the 100lb air box. Anyone swapped out to the K&N air pods and how do they run?
5 or 6 years ago I made a manifold out of PVC for dual K&N pods. Only problem was early on I got caught in frog drowning downpour and the wet K&N's choked the engine. Since cured with covers. Very happy with them once I got the jetting right.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Past afflictions include limey cars and motorbikes, an R60/2, R65ls, & a Citroen.
Now a couple of bicycles, a worn out '87 K75s,
and a rusty 2012 GU bought new
Dual K&N cones on homemade PVC intake, 40/137.5
Raceway needles, Modtop pipes, E starter delete
$29 VW Hydraulic steering dampener

phughes
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by phughes » Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:57 pm

I had two K&N pods on a 1986 ZX1000R that I drag raced. The previous owner had raced it as well, and he was the one who installed the K&N filters. The bike was also used by me as a street bike.

One pod covered two carbs. After removing the carbs for some work, I found that where the runners branched off from the plenum, it looked as if they had been sand blasted. They had really eroded. The bike had around 18,000 miles on it at the time.

I believe the K&N filters let through too many small particles. I have stopped using them.

bterpstra
Comrade
Comrade

Post by bterpstra » Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:08 pm

phughes wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:57 pm
I had two K&N pods on a 1986 ZX1000R that I drag raced. The previous owner had raced it as well, and he was the one who installed the K&N filters. The bike was also used by me as a street bike.

One pod covered two carbs. After removing the carbs for some work, I found that where the runners branched off from the plenum, it looked as if they had been sand blasted. They had really eroded. The bike had around 18,000 miles on it at the time.

I believe the K&N filters let through too many small particles. I have stopped using them.
There was a website that is now defunct that tested the k&n. It definitely flowed better, but it did that by filtering less.

Maybe it’s ok in nice clean air, but I’d never use it in dusty colorado.
If it's not broken, try harder.

2019 Gear Up
Evergreen, CO
Also:
2007 Yamaha WR250
2015 Beta 350RR
2013 KTM 450XCW

It’s a disease.

windmill
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Post by windmill » Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:14 pm

bterpstra wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:08 pm
phughes wrote:

There was a website that is now defunct that tested the k&n. It definitely flowed better, but it did that by filtering less.

Controlled test results,
https://www.nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2007 Patrol 100k km and counting,
2018/20 M70

RC20

Post by RC20 » Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:20 pm

The bottom line is you don't get something for nothing.

Also if you disturb the air balance you have to tune (new stuff with FI can auto tune though there may be limits).

I have had massive experience with filtering as I was responsible for the HVAC in something like 400,000 sq ft of building over the years as well as ruining vehicles in Volcanic Ash (many in Western Washington will know that experience)

And its all about particle capture. The only way to get more air that is filtered right is to have more filter surface. Less and it lets more stuff through.

Oil coating does not solve that. What does (for engines) is the old oil bath filters. Our local DC-6 (radial engine) freight hauler had the old oil filters stored in their hangar (the maint guy just could not let them go). When we had our volcanic blows (two hit Anchorage pretty good) he got those out and they flew the DC-6 through it just fine. That is the same blast that almost crashed a 747-400 that went through a cloud of it (they track it now but not back then).

For drag racing, you don't care about the engine, its going to blow up or be beat out. You are just as well off running no filters. its only 15 seoncs at most. Big boats do not run filters as they wear the engines out before they pull enough dirt in to wear out (once you run a cup of dirt thoug and engine its gone regardless of hours run)

So for volcanoes, I shut my fans down, got spare filters, once we had the roof cleared back on oine and the filters took out the ash.

AK has larger ash than St. Helens. Ergo, the cars had a bad time in those ashed areas.

Up here a bit of pre filter and your regular filter took it out though you had to change it a lot sooner. I ran my own pickup through the worst of it and it was fine when I sold it at 110,000 miles. I had to run thousands of miles through ash on the roads with it.
Fear No Gravel
Formerly Owned: ( various rides on others)
Honda 90
2 x CB750K (one a true Japan Model flown to Hawaii by a P3 Orion Sub Patrol Aircraft!)
1 x CB700 SC ala Shaft Drive Nighthawk S (RC20 is the actual in house production Model)
1 x R80GS (ok to start with, learned to love it for what it was)
1 x CB450K

Current:
1 x 2019 cT Terracotta

What I Did (I quit June 2 , 2019)
Mechanic/Technician/Engineer: Electro Mechanical Systems

bterpstra
Comrade
Comrade

Post by bterpstra » Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:40 pm

windmill wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:14 pm
bterpstra wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:08 pm
phughes wrote:

Controlled test results,
https://www.nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html
Well there it is! Thanks. I don’t get the whole k&n thing and this article pretty much lays out why in all of its glorious nerdy detail.

Thanks for finding it. The original link I had is dead.
If it's not broken, try harder.

2019 Gear Up
Evergreen, CO
Also:
2007 Yamaha WR250
2015 Beta 350RR
2013 KTM 450XCW

It’s a disease.