URAL Sidecar Shock Absorber 5-Pack Group Buy

This is the place for dealers and other commercial entities to peddle their Ural/Dnepr related wares. One caveat only, all listings must include a price or the MSRP.
Forum rules
This is the place for dealers and other commercial entities to advertise and sell their Ural or Dnepr related wares. All listings must include a price or the MSRP.
mikepa

Re: URAL Sidecar Shock Absorber 5-Pack Group Buy

Post by mikepa » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:34 pm

windmill wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:57 pm
I wouldn't dismiss them out of hand that quick. There was a noticeable difference when I upgraded my Patrol from the Russian shocks to the Sachs shocks, and that was just a small step up in quality, where as the 2WIN are a pretty big leap. Also, the folks here who tested the iKon shocks had nothing but positive things to say about them, and that included improved ride quality which anybody can appreciate.
If they were available for the M70, I would seriously consider it.
An experienced and informative response, good on ya' Sir. In the costly world of high-performance vehicles, be they 2, 3 or 4-wheelers, enormous attention is given to handling, and costly high-performance shocks are a marketing requirement. But for the other 95% of good value vehicles sold, shocks are a component that manufacturers' can shave cost on. All shocks are good enough, some are better than others.

A shock absorber's function is pretty simple: convert mechanical energy (ultimately) into heat. If they fail (seal wear and ultimate failure being the most common problem) it's usually not a catastrophic event, the vehicle can limp home. And it's a "fair wear and tear" component, it is expected to wear out and be replaced over the usable life of the vehicle. Good enough is good enough.

The factory Sachs shocks are perfectly adequate as shock absorbers. Unless you exceed the maximum permissible weight of 1,325 pounds (total load max of about 595 pounds) they do their job. If anything, they fall on the side of "robust", but as a tunable suspension component, not so much. They do have a limited range of stepped preload adjustment, but that's it.

Whether as an upgrade or replacement, I believe after-market shocks offer real advantages. Of course the pocketbook pain with our URALs is - 5 shocks are required ;<( A constraint is, they're fairly short travel, and have to absorb a lot of energy. However, having the ability to seamlessly set preload, and adjust compression damping and rebounding damping to your most general use case, makes for a better experience overall, and should you wear them out, there's usually the option of refurbishment vs. new.
Mike M. Paull
Seattle, WA

2005 BMW R1150GSA/URAL(in Holland), 2006 BMW R1200GS/ABEZ (in Japan), 2011 BMW R1200GSA/Stepler (in Seattle), 2020 URALGear-Up (in Seattle, just SOLD), 2012 BMW R1200GSA/URAL (new project), 2021 URAL +GEO LE (on order)

stagewex
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Post by stagewex » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:50 pm

They (and the Ikons) are probably wonderful. Just not on the radar or even close to the wish-I-had list for someone like me or the way I use my Patrol.
I just can't find anything wrong or bad with the primitive Russians that came with the beast. But I wasn't kidding about anyone upgrading that wants to lose their Sach's, I'd be interested.

When I had Olin's on one of the Beemers I removed it at sale time and sold separately. One of those upgrades that you yourself will get the pleasure of using while you own the bike but lost in the sauce at sale time. BMW sites there was the joke you never really own an Olin's, you just use and then pass it around.
Stagewex

2019 Honda CRF450L (Elec Start)
2008 Vespa 150S (Elec & Kick Start)
2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only)

windmill

Post by windmill » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:27 pm

The "lipstick on a pig" seemed to imply otherwise, and suggest that better shocks would be superficial and ineffective on a Ural.
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2007 Patrol 100k km and counting,
2018/20 M70

stagewex

Post by stagewex » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:57 am

I didn't mean to blow wind up your skirt in a negative way Barry.
Are they better than the Sach's, better than the Olins or Wilbers or whatever? It's going to be all subjective to the way someone uses their rig.
My experience when it became necessary (for me) to upgrade suspension has only been on performance motorcycles, tunable and with appropriate sag setting. And lately more specific to off-road or MX conditions though I don't actually ride MX anymore.
The Showa suspension on my new CRF was the reason I didn't go with the comparable KTM or Husky. Tunable and after Sag was set & dialed-in probably the best on the market (for now). I'm considering changing out the spring to a stiffer one, about the only way I can see improvement when I carry more than a tail-bag.
A Ural no matter what year is never going to be in that category no matter how you dress it up... for the way I use it.
Are the beautiful premium ones in this thread going to be smoother than the other beautiful premium ones in a side-by-side comparison? I don't know?

I'd venture to guess all of the above manufactures gotta be better than the OEM's on our 2007's and that's why I said a used Sach's would be of interest to me after, like you 14+ years of owning a Ural. They just don't make my priority list at all. The "lipstick" was on my "Pig".
My Patrols shocks are set to the highest & hardest level since I drove away from the dealers lot and do what's expected. I don't own any "smooth" highway bikes anymore.
Stagewex

Msblu79
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by Msblu79 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:28 pm

My lower back is telling me to buy them, I wish I was in a position to get them, I could really use some adjustable shocks. Alas I already bought the Hagon shocks a couple of years ago. They work fine and have helped along with a great custom seat from Rich. I would love to have more adjustment and spring choices. Unfortunately they are out of range of my wallet. :(
2010 Black Patrol 95,000km's

grinmaul
Comrade
Comrade

Post by grinmaul » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:54 pm

I bought them, will let you know in the spring how it worked out:)
Current:
2020 Ural Gear Up, 1986 Honda NS400R, 2014 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX

Past rides:
1978 CR80, 1984 CR250, 1980 RD400 ds, many 81-82 RD350 lc, 80's XL650, 1978ish KZ650, 1979 KZ1000, 1979 Goldwing
2001 DRZ400, 2014 Aprilia Dorsoduro 750, missing some i am sure.

Monk09

Post by Monk09 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:24 pm

I'm prepping for a TAT this summer in my 2014 Gear Up. Will have me (180#), son in the chair (100#) gear (80# goal).

With a group buy, are the spring rates selectable, or are the spring rates fixed?

Thanks.

Throttlemeister

Post by Throttlemeister » Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:43 pm

ImageI bought the set off Mike that he ordered for his Ural he just sold, funny as I’d sent him a private message on ADVrider about wanting to buy the take off factory shocks from his 2020 Ural. He said he was deciding to keep the factory shocks on that Ural so I offered to just buy his new red spring shocks from France.
I just got the shocks this past Tuesday in the mail and will try and get them installed this coming week hopefully with some photos and write up here or at ADVrider where I’ve spent most of my online time.
I only just recently picked up Jim On Two Wheels old 2010 Patrol back in early September now that I’ve got a couple of young ones to introduce to the World of motorbikes.

Not anything of an authority on Ural sidecars but at least one of the front shocks was weeping enough (I am significantly heavier than Jim lol) to cause me to have started looking for replacements, I attempted to get some stock replacements from across the pond with an order of other new bits from OldTimeGarage but they where out of stock. Coming from two wheelers where usually just one shock is $1000 I was happy to pay near that for 5 of them that Mike offered them for sale. Don’t think I need those flashy red springs but they’ve got to be better than the stockers and the tractor seat as I’ve had my spine relocated a time or two with some good hits!

Been doing lot of single dad childcare as my youngest daughter’s daycare has been closed since Thanksgiving that had been keeping me out of the shop, hopefully that will change in the coming weeks and I can get these pretty shocks installed. Should be relatively straight forward other than one of the lower shock bolts that the GPR high mount exhaust pipe is in the way of that Mike had made mention of.
0B12DD9C-A125-4191-B413-5647B8A17051.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-2010 Ural Super Patrol-

stagewex

Post by stagewex » Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:29 pm

Great picture. Who do you think is having more fun, the pup or the kids?
Or you? :)
Stagewex

Throttlemeister

Post by Throttlemeister » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:17 pm

stagewex wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:29 pm
Great picture. Who do you think is having more fun, the pup or the kids?
Or you? :)
Thanks Stagewex

All the kids where having a great time, most likely in chronological order;)
I’m just the biggest kid in the picture:)

The pup loves it all, she has really become quite the sidecar dog in a short amount of time.
-2010 Ural Super Patrol-

stagewex

Post by stagewex » Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:15 pm

THE BEST!!!!
Stagewex