New Ural accessories product line! Ural extendable gear rack / bumper combo

This is the place for dealers and other commercial entities to peddle their Ural/Dnepr related wares. One caveat only, all listings must include a price or the MSRP.
Forum rules
This is the place for dealers and other commercial entities to advertise and sell their Ural or Dnepr related wares. All listings must include a price or the MSRP.
Lofty
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2018

Re: New Ural accessories product line! Ural extendable gear rack / bumper combo

Post by Lofty » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:29 pm

HemisphereOffroad wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:55 pm
Hi Lofty,

It is shown in its most retracted position, yes. The issue with making it slide deeper is that we do not want to go beyond the vertical flange that lives across the tub, near the rubber isolators, just to keep it all tucked in tight against the tub. So we are limited, and had to strike a balance between retract depth and extension depth. This is the best balance possible with the limitations we set on ourselves for the design.

As for impact....well, it's not guaranteed to survive a sever impact, like betting hit from behind. Its purpose is primarily for offroad use as a luggage rack that doubles as a bumper against mild impacts such as your buddy not paying attention and bumping you on the trail. It is not DOT approved or tested by DOT (are any of them? I think not) for highway use.

However, it does create a "crumple zone" between the front of the impact object and the back of the tub, which one could argue is better than nothing, or better than having a plain tube bumper close to the sheet metal with only the mount flanges taking the impact.

Would our warranty cover an accident? Um..no. But if something came unwelded or loose or broke during normal use, such as putting gear on it while bouncing around a fire road, yes, we would cover that.

Hope this answers your questions?
Thanks so much for your comprehensive reply. I appreciate the information.
Inventory:
2018 Ural Gear Up
2015 Suzuki DR650

GHGoodwin

Post by GHGoodwin » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:42 pm

HemisphereOffroad wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:44 pm
Hi Hal,

Hmmmm.... could you maybe scrawl something on a napkin and post or email a photo so I can show it to our engineer?
GHGoodwin wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:18 pm
HemisphereOffroad wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:18 pm
Hi Hal, thanks for your suggestion! Do you mean package one of our extendable bumper racks with a new luggage rack for the trunk lid? If so, what features would you like to see?
GHGoodwin wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:09 pm
How about mating a pair of those together with a top mount on trunk lid? Expandable luggage rack.

I assume that the mounting tubes are the female components and the slide out fender rack is the male. A trunk top luggage rack base could be made with the female tubes and, either by replacement or slide-outs, by the male tubes. I hope I'm making sense to your designer. I have a very old tube frame Kelty backpack that has this type of add-ons. The add-on extensions are inserted into the main frame's tubes and held in place by clevis pins. You can arrange them to suit your load. One of the extensions is a canoe thwart yoke so your head isn't inside the canoe as you carry it. A true boon in the wilderness when the carry trail is....well....at best irregular.
Will do. I'll send it a couple of weeks.
Hal

2011/12 Tourist - "The Russian"
It's a long list.
2014 Patrol - "Blackbird"

GHGoodwin

Post by GHGoodwin » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:43 pm

GHGoodwin wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:18 pm
HemisphereOffroad wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:18 pm
Hi Hal, thanks for your suggestion! Do you mean package one of our extendable bumper racks with a new luggage rack for the trunk lid? If so, what features would you like to see?
GHGoodwin wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:09 pm
How about mating a pair of those together with a top mount on trunk lid? Expandable luggage rack.
I assume that the mounting tubes are the female components and the slide out fender rack is the male. A trunk top luggage rack base could be made with the female tubes and expanded, either by replacement or slide-outs, by the male tubes. I hope I'm making sense to your designer. I have a very old tube frame Kelty backpack that has this type of add-ons. The add-on extensions are inserted into the main frame's tubes and held in place by clevis pins. You can arrange them to suit your load. One of the extensions is a canoe thwart yoke so your head isn't inside the canoe as you carry it. A true boon in the wilderness when the carry trail is....well....at best irregular.
Hal

2011/12 Tourist - "The Russian"
It's a long list.
2014 Patrol - "Blackbird"

gobium
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by gobium » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:17 pm

2011 rear rack , Ohio to Maine and back.
Rear rack is great but cannot fully load it or you can not open the trunk due to spare tire or rack
FB_IMG_1536757012249.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HemisphereOffroad
Comrade
Comrade

Post by HemisphereOffroad » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:20 pm

Thanks! Was that a factory option rack or an aftermarket? Do you have pics of just the rack?
gobium wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:17 pm
2011 rear rack , Ohio to Maine and back.
Rear rack is great but cannot fully load it or you can not open the trunk due to spare tire or rackFB_IMG_1536757012249.jpg

RC20
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by RC20 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:57 pm

I like it. I can think of a lot of need for small add on for that sort of thing.

When I was camping with the R80GS I had two side saddles, a duffel over the top of those.

Right at 100 lbs of gear for solo.
100k estimated cycle driving:

Formerly Owned: ( various rides on others)
Honda 90
2 x CB750K (one a true Japan Model flown to Hawaii by a P3 Orion Sub Patrol Aircraft!)
1 x CB700 SC (RC20 is the actual in house production Model)
1 x R80GS (ok to start with, learned to love it for what it was)
1 x CB450K

Mechanic/Technician/Engineer: Switchgear/ Generators/Fire Pumps/Computer Controlled Building Systems

HemisphereOffroad
Comrade
Comrade

Post by HemisphereOffroad » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:24 am

Thanks for the feedback, RC!
RC20 wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:57 pm
I like it. I can think of a lot of need for small add on for that sort of thing.

When I was camping with the R80GS I had two side saddles, a duffel over the top of those.

Right at 100 lbs of gear for solo.

Mikey

Post by Mikey » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:09 am

HemisphereOffroad wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:23 pm
Hi Mikey,

What sort of accessories are you looking for? We will add your suggestions to our growing product development list.
Mikey wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:39 am
Put up more accessories please!
Personally I'd love to see something to secure a Walker or wheelchair (folded) to the rig. I have a low load tow hitch and bike holder on there now but it wiggles around a lot.
Posted via tablet or phone so please ignore any odd words (autocorrect).
2017 Gear-up Forest fog

HemisphereOffroad
Comrade
Comrade

Post by HemisphereOffroad » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:27 pm

OK got it, thanks! Added to our list.

Donbmw

Post by Donbmw » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:13 pm

Mikey wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:09 am
HemisphereOffroad wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:23 pm
bby
Hi Mikey,

What sort of accessories are you looking for? We will add your suggestions to our growing product development list.
Mikey wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:39 am
Put up more accessories please!
Personally I'd love to see something to secure a Walker or wheelchair (folded) to the rig. I have a low load tow hitch and bike holder on there now but it wiggles around a lot.
Have you installed a anti rattle bolt or clamp, this will stop the wiggles.
2015 Patrol, 1980 R65, 1982 R65 bought new, 1975 R 90/6, 1959TR3 Triumph

Don

Mikey

Post by Mikey » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:01 pm

Do you have any plans for a more sturdy luggage rack with or without the tire? I tried carrying some items in the back rack but it broke one of the three mount points.
Posted via tablet or phone so please ignore any odd words (autocorrect).
2017 Gear-up Forest fog

HemisphereOffroad
Comrade
Comrade

Post by HemisphereOffroad » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:18 pm

Hi Mikey,

Yes, this is actually one of the products on our design list. We would be interested in hearing about failure points on the existing products, such as where / how did yours break? do you happen to have photos?

And we'd like to know what features customers want to see. With tire? Without? What sort of stuff would be carried? Do you use bungee cords? Load straps? Etc etc.

The more information we can get, the better the product will be!

Mikey wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:01 pm
Do you have any plans for a more sturdy luggage rack with or without the tire? I tried carrying some items in the back rack but it broke one of the three mount points.

Squire230
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by Squire230 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:27 pm

How about a pic with the whole tub profile, so we can see what it looks like altogether on the bike.
Al

URAL Gear-Up 2010 w/
K37 tires
Fog lights
Raceway Left High 2-1 exhaust
Smitty Built baskets for fuel & boxes