Choosing routes for Urals

Newbies, introduce yourself here. Are you thinking about getting one and have questions? Ask your basic questions here. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of The Greasy Wrench" section.
Forum rules
Here's the place for those who are newb or thinking about buying a Ural or Dnepr to introduce themselves ask those typical "newbie" questions. Try using the "Search" link at the top of the page to see if your question may have been asked before. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of the Greasy Wrench" section.
louisg
Comrade
Comrade

Choosing routes for Urals

Post by louisg » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:14 am

How do you all choose routes for your rigs? I have a 2011 so it's top recommended speed is 60. I have no intention of taking it on the interstate; I like the old rural highway top speed of 55 experience so I can see the scenery. :mrgreen:

However, some places I may have to "portage" on roads that are 60 mph. Also I may end up on a path where I may have to be on the interstate (in the slow lane).

Was wondering what approaches people take to choosing a route in order to stay within speed margins, and if you find yourself having to go on a higher speed route (let's say 60mph) how concerned do you get about overheating and what steps you might take to address that problem.

Thanks!
2011 Ural Gear Up - "Donna"
Snoqualmie Valley area, WA

Mods: Hella H4 ECE Headlamp, DZG H4 LED bulb

@5K km:
Engine and Gear Box: Lucas Oil Hot Rod & Classic 20W-50
Oil Filter: Hiflo Filtro HF895

Desantnik-VDV
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Re: Choosing routes for Urals

Post by Desantnik-VDV » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:45 am

If you have to, then the slow lane might be good. Or getting behind the 18 wheeler truck going slower and keeping your distance could be doable. 3rd or 4th lane, i.e. two closest lanes from the shoulder...
Alex
2007 GearUp - BMD (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMD-3)
40 idle/130 main
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The rest is just history... 4 previous Urals, BMW airheads, bigger Hondas, bigger sidecars...

Tin Man
Commissar
Commissar

Post by Tin Man » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:48 am

Got told when I got into these machines that they ain't highway bikes........not if ya want them to last any amount of time. So, I plan my trips to stay off the highways as much as is possible. Sometimes I have to, but only for a couple-a-few exits, and then I'm back to surface streets. And if I have a stiff headwind, I do not get on the highway......
Mike
2007 GearUp (Arctic #1)
130/45 jets, KTM rock solid mirrors, Delaware Dave's outstanding trunk lock, Mr. Cob's most excellent skid plate, Cycra Probend smashproof hand guards, Duro strong like bull 307's, RotoPax damn near bulletproof fuel cans, MKIII all but water proof air box and Dimples super duper magnetic drain plugs all around...oh yeah, and a manual fuel petcock.

.........if you see something that needs doing, just do it........

wooden nickel
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Post by wooden nickel » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:31 am

I usually go to Google Maps and select Avoid Highways on the Options list. It usually gives me more than one choice and I go from there.
If I have to go freeway, I stay in the right lane and travel about 60 to 63 MPH. You can usually find a semi traveling about that speed and can shadow them.
I may not be good, but I'm slow.
Nick
2014 M70 Retros, the sports car of Urals.

Tomcatfixer
Commissar
Commissar

Post by Tomcatfixer » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:55 am

Your 2011 should be able to handle sustained travel at 60mph with ease. My 2001 Patrol, with a 100cc smaller engine than yours, can achieve 67mph for short bursts, but is happiest at 55mph. I would focus my trip planning on selecting a route with minimal elevation changes, if possible. Urals are not-a so good at hill climbing (or hill descending, if you have all drum brakes, like my 2001).
- Chad

Gordonsville, Virginia, USA

Current rides:
2015 Ural cT "Mobile Chernobyl", 2001 Ural Patrol "Little Red Bear", 1999 Ural Tourist "The RPOC", Mid-Nineties Ural Tourist "The Heap", 1994 Honda VFR750F, 2007 BMW K1200GT

Previous rides:
2007 Honda VTR1000 FireStorm (Super Hawk in U.S.)
2001 Buell Blast! - - - - - - - 2005 Yamaha FJR1300
1993 Honda CBR600F2 - -1984 Yamaha FJ1100
Two different 1986 Yamaha FZX700S Fazers

VWK75S

Post by VWK75S » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:12 am

I draw a line between point A and point B and try to stay close to it. Makes for interesting finds and doubles the riding time. :D
John
The Ural's made Maine a much bigger state.

2009 GearUp 155,000kms
2007 Retro 25,000kms
1991 VWK75S 110,000miles

SidecarDan
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by SidecarDan » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:04 am

I've never had a problem doing 50ish in a 60 zone, I travel at a comfortable pace for me and traffic always finds a way around as needed. The Ural is big enough for them to see so they aren't surprised by the moving roadblock.
Dan
2012 Forest Fog Gear-Up
128/42 jets
7/64ths drilled slides
2013 branch pipes
Yamaha petcock

Lokiboy

Post by Lokiboy » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:17 am

My 2011 will do 65mph. I just don’t want to.

Adding to Wooden Nickel’s response, if I know Google “avoid highways” still had me on four-six lane roads this is what I do.

I look for small towns and insert one or multiple “add stop”. By doing so, I’m able to pretty much stay on two lane roads to the same destination.

Have fun and enjoy the ride
2011 Gear Up - "Erika"
Yorktown, VA

Mains: 127, Idle: 40, Needle: 1 shim
MKIII air filter
110,000 km and counting

S 854
Commissar
Commissar

Post by S 854 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:06 am

"Choose a direction" rather than "Choose a route"...

Back in July 2008 we picked up our brand spankin' new Arctic from Ural NW (then located in Bellingham, WA) and began our voyage to our home in a (then) quiet suburb of Denver, CO.

Wanting to visit friends and family on the two week drive home we had certain cities and towns we needed to put on our agenda...

We purposely DIDN'T tell people when we'd be in their town, but rather called a day before to give a rough idea when to expect us (or when to send out the dogs if for some reason we didn't show...)

This lack of planning worked out wonderfully... during the two week, 3,483 kilometer drive we ended up on the super-slab for a total of 20 miles and even that could have been avoided if we added a 90 mile detour to our trip...

I guess the point is, if ya need or want to get somewhere on a definite time schedule, take your car... if ya want to get somewhere and take away some incredible memories, there's no better vehicle than your Ural...
'07 Arctic: The Russian Raucous Ship

Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out...

robp
Comrade
Comrade

Post by robp » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:19 am

I use the Google 'My Maps' function to plot backroad routes using waypoint markers on preferred roads to a final destination. Basically, you put markers on a map and then connect-the-dots along the roads. If you open your map with your phone, Google won't give realtime nav directions, but will display your location on the map in relation to your plotted route. At some point I would like to get a GPS and learn how to export the Google map files to Garmin or whatever. I've experimented with the Garmin desktop mapping app but I don't like the interface and features very much.

If I have a complicated route with lots of turns, I have put a strip of painter's tape on my gas tank and noted the turns with a Sharpie so I don't have to stop and pull out my phone or a map. A low-tech approach until I buy a proper GPS.

windmill

Post by windmill » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:40 am

Don't over think it.

Take whatever road and route you want, nobody is going to run you over, and there will always be slower vehicles on the road with you.
Sustaining 60-65 on a 2011 isn't a reason for concern under normal conditions. If facing long steep grades or strong headwinds downshift and slow down. The whole don't do freeways thing is way overblown.

I'm in the Kent/Covington area and ride on I-5, I-90, 405, 520, 16, and 2 on a regular basis without the slightest issue.
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2007 Patrol 100k km and counting,
2018/20 M70

bratmanxj

Post by bratmanxj » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:07 pm

I'll gladly jump on the freeway around Chicago and run the right lane at 55-60mph. So far it hasn't been an issue and surprisingly people are very nice to the unique bright red sidecar oddity in their way.

Now, I won't jump into the thick of rush-hour traffic even on my two-wheeler that can easily keep up. People in the morning just are not paying attention to put myself at risk in anyway. Its even sketchy to drive in a car!
1999 Yamaha Royal Star Venture
2007 Ural Tourist - The Big Red Brick
Chinese Knock off Honda Trail 70 rescued from the in-laws shed
1984 Suzuki LT125 Quadrunner - Sold off to a Friend
Boats, Jets Skis and Golf Carts...other fun stuff!

atlasheating
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by atlasheating » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:21 pm

I took a trip on my 2004 Troyka a few years ago. We had to do some freeway (405 for about 30 miles) in order to get where we wanted to go. We left on Sunday morning when I knew the traffic would be light. 55 and 60 MPH were easy to do. We got to the second ferry in Annacortes that afternoon, and I was shocked at how bad my gas mileage was. I was also happy with how well we did on that stretch of freeway. I try to avoid freeways, but I know I can ride it if I need to. The 2014 Fuel Injection has a bit better freeway speed and does not seem to be working so hard.

Msblu79
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by Msblu79 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:21 pm

windmill wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:40 am
Don't over think it.

Take whatever road and route you want, nobody is going to run you over, and there will always be slower vehicles on the road with you.
Sustaining 60-65 on a 2011 isn't a reason for concern under normal conditions. If facing long steep grades or strong headwinds downshift and slow down. The whole don't do freeways thing is way overblown.

I'm in the Kent/Covington area and ride on I-5, I-90, 405, 520, 16, and 2 on a regular basis without the slightest issue.
I agree, not an issue, just run at your own pace and all will be fine. I believe Gobium drove across country on the interstates and had no problems.
2010 Black Patrol 95,000km's

Lofty

Post by Lofty » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:34 pm

louisg wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:14 am
How do you all choose routes for your rigs?

I have a 2011 so it's top recommended speed is 60. I have no intention of taking it on the interstate; I like the old rural highway top speed of 55 experience so I can see the scenery.
I knew in advance of buying my 2018 GU that it would be ridden most frequently on two lane B roads, with the occasional jaunt on a four lane A road posted at 55 mph. That's the Ural's wheelhouse, in my estimation, and in that role my rig has performed flawlessly. That's why I bought it. That's how my routes were "chosen".

If I want to travel any measurable distance, e.g. to a long weekend Ural rally, I'll haul the outfit with a trailer for the sake of comfort and safety. When long days on the Interstate were a recurring part of my riding calendar, I owned several sport touring bikes in turn. They were and are much better suited for that purpose. This isn't to say a Ural isn't capable of highway work -- it is -- but we also mustn't forget Mechanical Sympathy when discussing the Russian engine's fitness for sustained highway operation.

On a mildly humorous note, an early lesson in my Ural ownership was that the same twisting roads that I glided through on any [single track] motorcycle was now one hell of a workout when trying to tiller a sidecar through the same snug curves. So, I do still occasionally choose routes for the sidecar that I'd ignore when piloting the Suzuki.
Inventory:
2018 Ural Gear Up
2015 Suzuki DR650
1991 Bianchi Osprey
1952 Columbia RX-5 ('87, NOS)