Dnepr MT-11 owner just signed up.

Newbies, introduce yourself here. Are you thinking about getting one and have questions? Ask your basic questions here. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of The Greasy Wrench" section.
Forum rules
Here's the place for those who are newb or thinking about buying a Ural or Dnepr to introduce themselves ask those typical "newbie" questions. Try using the "Search" link at the top of the page to see if your question may have been asked before. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of the Greasy Wrench" section.
Scott E
Comrade
Comrade

Dnepr MT-11 owner just signed up.

Post by Scott E » Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:50 pm

Just signed up and now a new member of this forum. In November 2019 I purchased a Dnepr MT-11 that sat in a barn from 1992. The State of Alabama USA was auctioning off the entire contents of an estate which included the Dnepr. I had worked on 22 of them found abandoned in Kuwait after the end of Desert Storm and taken to the Army Depot where I worked to be repaired and used for training Troops at 29 Palms Training area in California along with lots of other captured Russian equipment. I knew exactly what it was, where to get parts, and was the only bidder for it. No one except for me wanted anything to do with it because the engine was stuck from sitting 27 years in a barn. The person that imported it got hurt on it and spent time in hospital after only 2 days of (attempting) to ride it. It only had 194Km on it when I purchased it at auction. To start I mixed 50/50 Acetone and Automatic Transmission fluid and filled the cylinders with that and let it sit overnight. The next day the engine turned over with only a little effort on the kick start lever. That magic mix did it's thing. I cleaned out all the extra fluid and ran a compression check. Left cylinder was 75 psi and right was zero. I was kind of shocked at that zero reading. I pulled the right valve cover and found one of the 4 nuts that should be holding the head down on the cylinder laying in the cover and it's washer too. The other 3 had only been started on the threads and never tightened down. I knew then I was going to need to take everything apart and reassemble it just like the 22 we found abandoned in Kuwait. Other things found during disassembly was all 4 valves leaking, all ring gaps perfectly lined up at the top of both pistons, spring cut swirl grooves cut in the tops of both cylinders, and a cut too short valve push rod. The cylinders looked good with only a little staining from the stuck piston rings in the left cylinder. Whoever put this engine together did not care, at all. I also found swarf in the engine block and around the oil pump screen. I waited until after Christmas to order parts and got them 2 months later. I only ordered parts to get the bike running and driving before ordering stuff like rubber parts to replace all the dry rotted rubber parts, spare cables and that sort of thing. I put it all back back together and not just the engine. I went through the transmission and the final drive too. The transmission needed machining burs removed from the sifter plate as well as anything else that had been across a lathe or mill, again no care given at all by anyone working on it at KMZ. The final drive was a mess internally. The double bearing on the pinion gear shaft had end play of about .010 of and inch where the bore in the case had been machined too deep and should not have any end play. I made a .015 copper shim to fix that. The shims on the pinion gear were no where near correct so I had to paint the ring gear teeth, assemble it, spin it, dissemble it, and check the paint marks on the pinion gear with the third time doing that being the charm with perfect marking of paint on it's teeth. I spent an entire day on just getting the final drive shimming perfect. Was it worth it? Yes! It's been a very reliable machine and I have a little over 7,000Km on it now. It's the most fun bike I've ever owned. I'm sure if there had been any (and I mean any) quality control KMZ would still be producing Motorcycles today just like Ural.

RC20
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Re: Dnepr MT-11 owner just signed up.

Post by RC20 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:15 am

Welcome to the group. Others will advise on your era machine, I am just getting going with a 2019.
Fear No Gravel
Formerly Owned: ( various rides on others)
Honda 90
2 x CB750K (one a true Japan Model flown to Hawaii by a P3 Orion Sub Patrol Aircraft!)
1 x CB700 SC ala Shaft Drive Nighthawk S (RC20 is the actual in house production Model)
1 x R80GS (ok to start with, learned to love it for what it was)
1 x CB450K

Current:
1 x 2019 cT Terracotta

What I Did (I quit June 2 , 2019)
Mechanic/Technician/Engineer: Electro Mechanical Systems

Geno89074

Post by Geno89074 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:42 am

Congratulations and Semper Fi...I went through FO and FAC training at 29 stumps!!

Thank you for your service and Enjoy your nice rig!!!
2014 Ural Patrol
Green Valley
Henderson, Nevada

Scott E
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Scott E » Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:55 am

I was a Gas Turbine Systems Tech in the Navy for 6 years, then spent the next 24 years in the Army working in the M1 Abrams Tank rebuild program at the Anniston Army Depot. I also got involved in rebuilding captured Russian military equipment for use at 29 Palms. We did Russian Tanks, Bmp's, Trucks, and Motorcycles. I've been working on and riding Motorcycles from the age of 12 so when they asked if I would be interested working on Russian Military Motorcycles I jumped at the chance to do that.

stagewex

Post by stagewex » Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:40 pm

Welcome and Thanks for your service, appreciated.
Stagewex

2019 Honda CRF450L (Elec Start)
2008 Vespa 150S (Elec & Kick Start)
2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only)

SafetyBob
Party Member
Party Member

Post by SafetyBob » Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:21 pm

Welcome and thank you for your service...
Fellow Dnepr owner...
SB#3
Dnepr Mt-11
Dnepr MT-11 Solo
Dnepr Mt-9
Dnepr K-750
Dnepr Mt-11 Gumbo
Ural Patrol