Vintage Dnepr in Seattle

Newbies, introduce yourself here. Are you thinking about getting one and have questions? Ask your basic questions here. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of The Greasy Wrench" section.
Forum rules
Here's the place for those who are newb or thinking about buying a Ural or Dnepr to introduce themselves ask those typical "newbie" questions. Try using the "Search" link at the top of the page to see if your question may have been asked before. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of the Greasy Wrench" section.
afcope

Vintage Dnepr in Seattle

Post by afcope » Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:38 am

Hey there everybody,

I am relatively new to the Seattle areas and getting restarted on my 1967 Dnepr K750 project
2013-01-20_12-13-24_691.jpg
Small problem...you all may not know this, but these old Soviet bikes can sometimes run into mechanical trouble. I need engine work done, so I am looking for a good machine shop.

Has anyone had any machine work done on old, airhead side-valve motors? A lot of folks don't like to work on them because they don't know anything about them so if anybody can make a recommendation I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Scott
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Re: Vintage Dnepr in Seattle

Post by Scott » Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:12 am

Do it yourself.
Don't be scared!

What's wrong with it???
Scott Pell
gspell68@gmail.com
http://sites.google.com/site/foilheadz/
1951 KMZ K-750 (The Bull, БУЛ)
1962 KMZ K-750 (The Beast, БИСТ)
1959 IMZ M-72M Solo Rust Buc-Kit Bike

Cheap - Reliable - Fast
Pick any 2 and the other one won't apply!

afcope

Post by afcope » Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:01 pm

I need the cylinders machined to bore-match to my new pistons. I don't think I can do that myself!

rivers
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Post by rivers » Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:07 pm

Boring mc jugs is a pretty std job for any decent bike shop. Shouldn't be hard to find one in the Seattle area. Also there is Valentine Motors, a repair shop the specializes in BMW airhead repairs but not limited to. There's also UralNW, the Ural dealer up in Ferndale that has a good rep. Your area of WA also has a pretty good sized old Brit bike following. Sure one of them could point you to a good shop just to bore the jugs.
Joe
014 GU
"I'm lost but I'm making good time."

afcope

Post by afcope » Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:29 pm

Thanks Rivers. You're not the first to recommend Valentine Motors so that seems like a place I need to look into. Also, great point on UralNW. I'll reach out to them now. Thanks!

RC20

Post by RC20 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:55 pm

You might price new jugs vs the bore out (I see you got the oversized pistons)

I had a compressor that I wanted that done (and sleeved) and it was cheaper to buy new jugs by a lot.

Ural HG is at Redmond though i don't know they would deal with a bore out job.

As noted, a bore out is standard for a machine shop, not always auto but a good one is a piece of cake. Cost is another matter of course.
Fear No Gravel
Formerly Owned: ( various rides on others)
Honda 90
2 x CB750K (one a true Japan Model flown to Hawaii by a P3 Orion Sub Patrol Aircraft!)
1 x CB700 SC ala Shaft Drive Nighthawk S (RC20 is the actual in house production Model)
1 x R80GS (ok to start with, learned to love it for what it was)
1 x CB450K

Current:
1 x 2019 cT Terracotta

What I Did (I quit June 2 , 2019)
Mechanic/Technician/Engineer: Electro Mechanical Systems

afcope

Post by afcope » Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:33 pm

Thanks RC20. I did look at new cylinders, but they're seriously pricey and based on the quality of other parts I've purchased...may need reman work anyway! These cylinders were already magnafluxed, and the valve seats were cut...I'm in too deep! I think there's an old econ term for that...sunk-cost fallacy. Anyway, I'm committed - at least until I get a quote from a machine shop.

I got a recommendation for autosport in Seattle. Apparently they do a lot of old brit bikes and BMW airheads. Anybody have experience with them?