Cylinder Head Temp Gauges

Newbies, introduce yourself here. Are you thinking about getting one and have questions? Ask your basic questions here. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of The Greasy Wrench" section.
Forum rules
Here's the place for those who are newb or thinking about buying a Ural or Dnepr to introduce themselves ask those typical "newbie" questions. Try using the "Search" link at the top of the page to see if your question may have been asked before. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of the Greasy Wrench" section.
Ghengiz
Comrade
Comrade

Cylinder Head Temp Gauges

Post by Ghengiz » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:00 am

I was wondering if anyone has mounted an aircraft type cylinder head temp gauge on their rig like this one: https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/ ... 95EALw_wcB

Cheers
2019 Gear Up
2012 Kawasaki Concours C14 (still own)
1995 Honda ST1100A
1979 Honda CB750K

WEGUNTER
Commissar
Commissar

Re: Cylinder Head Temp Gauges

Post by WEGUNTER » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:56 am

answer is yes. I know navy TM runs with them and he likes them. I have a themometer dipstick which I look at occaisionally. Don't see them as necessary. Just another device to make you paranoid. Sort of like a deep sump....................makes you feel good but does not do anything for the bike

Lokiboy
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Post by Lokiboy » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:50 am

WEGUNTER wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:56 am
answer is yes. I know navy TM runs with them and he likes them. I have a themometer dipstick which I look at occaisionally. Don't see them as necessary. Just another device to make you paranoid. Sort of like a deep sump....................makes you feel good but does not do anything for the bike
Well said
2011 Gear Up - "Erika"
Yorktown, VA

Mains: 127, Idle: 40, Needle: 1 shim
MKIII air filter
100,000 km and counting

windmill

Post by windmill » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:24 pm

Put one on my M70, doesn't like wet weather. Fogs up, and doesn't read correctly.
IMG_3183.JPG
I also did the dipstick, and IR thermometer thing in the past.

After all my years of riding Urals, all they have done for me Is lighten my wallet. IMO, temperature gauges, deep sumps, oil coolers, ect simply aren't needed. A waste of time and money that doesn't replace common sense.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2007 Patrol 100k km and counting,
2018/20 M70

INSUBORDINATOR
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by INSUBORDINATOR » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:46 pm

There was one of these installed on a 1960's BMW R69S/2 that I had briefly There was a rocker toggle switch for right & left cylinder head.
This winter I'm going to install the clever, diabolically simple - Barbeque Pit Heat Gauges on both cylinders.
Current Motorcycles: Improved 2002 Ural Tourist.

"Be who you are & say what you feel. Those that matter won't mind, those that mind - don't matter."

Wildhorse Cafe

Post by Wildhorse Cafe » Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:00 pm

Mine works well. If you decide to get one, do not change the length of the sensor wires, it will effect the calibration.
2011 Patrol, The Higgs Bison Super Collider, formally known as, the Orange and Silver Pumpkin Coach.

2013 Black Retro, Chernaya Krasota, formally known as, my name is nobody.

When you set out on your journey to Ithaca
pray the road is long , full of adventure, full of knowledge
not expecting that Ithaca will offer you riches
Ithaca has given you the beautiful voyage

C.P. Cavafy

scottmastrocinque
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by scottmastrocinque » Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:48 pm

I have. However, as in all things, there are wildly different levels of quality. I purchased mine from an American aircraft instrument maker who built it to order. I've seen the cheap asian import ones and they are junk in my opinion.

This American built one wasn't cheap, but not overly expensive. Excellent aircraft quality. A professional precision instrument. Watertight. Works perfect. Matches my laser thermometer readings exactly.

Personally, I love it, especially when super slabbing. I like to monitor what is going on.

www.westach.com
2DC8.jpg
Screen Shot 2019-11-16 at 1.38.20 PM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2017 Ural Gear Up Sahara
2012 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX
2009 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
2008 Moto Guzzi 1200 Sport
2008 Piaggio MP3 400ie
2007 Piaggio X9 500 Evoluzione
1997 Moto Guzzi V10 Centauro

"There comes a time in your life when you have to let go of all the pointless drama and the people who create it and surround yourself with people who make you laugh so hard that you forget the bad and focus solely on the good. After all, life is too short to be anything but happy."

Kaliram
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by Kaliram » Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:40 pm

These Trail Tech gauges work well: I have one on the left
Spark Plug, and another that has the sensor stuffed in the headlight bucket which accurately reads outside air temperature.

Trail Tech also has a Tach/Hour meter that utilizes one of the spark plug leads.

They come in both black and silver, surface and panel mount.

Trail Tech: https://www.trailtech.net/tto-1

All three gauges mount very nicely on the bar that is my windshield’s mount.

Trail Tech also has a voltmeter.
Current ride: 2019 Ural Gear Up, O.D. Green (“Jyoti”)
Blasts in the past: 2016 Ural Gear Up ("Shanti ")
2012 Ural Gear Up ("Tootles")
2009 KLX250, 2009 KLR650, 2004 BMW R1150GSA, 1966 Honda 305 SuperHawk

“Your life comes with a lifetime guarantee.”

sKiZo
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by sKiZo » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:15 pm

High end charbroil bbq gauges here ... nothing too good for my baby, eh ... ;-}

The OEM mounting studs just screw down between the cylinder fins with a bit of grinding to cut the diameter a bit.

On the bike when I bought it, but I'm told they've been on it for several years now with nary a problem.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Evil Kneivel? He got nuttin' on me!
2011 Ural T
Handicap mods include Raceway foot box, tank shifter w/reverse, and DIY rear brake pedal mods.

lendrinkard

Post by lendrinkard » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:34 pm

I have a Trail Tech gauge also. If the temp gets over 400 or so, I back off the throttle.
2012 Gear up - 130/40 jet, 3 shims, no mid-pipe, drilled slider, 2013 Branch pipes, all LED lights
2013 NOS Ural T - 130/42 jet, 2 shims, LED running lights, oil cooler

Tomcatfixer
Commissar
Commissar

Post by Tomcatfixer » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:35 pm

I have a Westach CHT gauge on each of my three Urals. The one on my cT helped me diagnose a dead cylinder on the interstate before I had the bike off of the road (spoiler alert: it was the cold cylinder).

Just this week, I used it to temporarily balance the carburetors on my Patrol while my manometer is sans fluid. The left cylinder has been running abnormally hot. I would ride a ways, stop and adjust the carb cables, ride some more, check temps, pull over and make more adjustments, et cetera. Now, the temps are quite close to one another and when my replacement manometer arrives, I'll perform a true balance.

CHT gauges, while not critical, can definitely be helpful tools to identify engine conditions before they become problems.
- Chad

Gordonsville, Virginia, USA

Current rides:
2015 Ural cT "Mobile Chernobyl", 2001 Ural Patrol "Little Red Bear", 1999 Ural Tourist "The RPOC", Mid-Nineties Ural Tourist "The Heap", 1994 Honda VFR750F

Previous rides:
2007 Honda VTR1000 FireStorm (Super Hawk in U.S.)
2001 Buell Blast! - - - - - - - 2005 Yamaha FJR1300
1993 Honda CBR600F2 - -1984 Yamaha FJ1100
Two different 1986 Yamaha FZX700S Fazers

INSUBORDINATOR
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by INSUBORDINATOR » Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:47 pm

sKiZo wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:15 pm
High end charbroil bbq gauges here ... nothing too good for my baby, eh ... ;-}

The OEM mounting studs just screw down between the cylinder fins with a bit of grinding to cut the diameter a bit.

On the bike when I bought it, but I'm told they've been on it for several years now with nary a problem.
+1 on the BBQ gauges. Mine were only a couple of bucks from CHINA & have black faces like my speedo (FANCY)

* Ordinarily my anxiety mounts - in direct proportion to number of gauges - but in this case - even if not completely accurate,
they WILL let me know if one side is running to HOT.
Current Motorcycles: Improved 2002 Ural Tourist.

"Be who you are & say what you feel. Those that matter won't mind, those that mind - don't matter."

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:39 pm

windmill wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:24 pm
Put one on my M70, doesn't like wet weather. Fogs up, and doesn't read correctly.

After all my years of riding Urals, all they have done for me Is lighten my wallet. IMO, temperature gauges, deep sumps, oil coolers, ect simply aren't needed. A waste of time and money that doesn't replace common sense.
___________ Image

And just to add, my tachometer is my ears. :P
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta
(aka Oranzhevaya Opasnost, "The Orange Peril")

sKiZo
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by sKiZo » Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:27 pm

Best oil cooler IMHO is a slip on finned can oil filter cover. Deep fins are a big plus there.

Which I was happy to find included in with a front cover conversion kit recently purchased here on the board. :boogie:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Evil Kneivel? He got nuttin' on me!
2011 Ural T
Handicap mods include Raceway foot box, tank shifter w/reverse, and DIY rear brake pedal mods.

windmill

Post by windmill » Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:28 pm

Mr Wazzock wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:39 pm
windmill wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:24 pm

___________ Image

And just to add, my tachometer is my ears. :P
It's educational to have a tach, from the one on my 2019 I learned I was habitually under revving it. I find it a good reminder, but don't use it as a shift indicator. I could get by without it now that I'm educated.

A Ural in good mechanical condition simply isn't going to overheat, therefore monitoring temperature isn't necessary.
What is of concern is thermal breakdown of the oil from extended riding at high speed, or heavy load because of the low volume of oil that passes through the heads. The owners manual addresses this issue by giving the solution.

Air cooled - Heat is detrimental to air cooled engines. When planning for a ride,
consider a few factors before choosing your route.
 What is the ambient temperate?
 Will I have a passenger or additional payload?
 What is the best route for the speed I will be able to maintain?
External Temperature – Keep in mind how maintaining high rates of speed or carrying
additional cargo can affect the temperature of the motor, planning ahead while riding in
warmer temperatures or with added payload will lessen the likelihood that you will
encounter an unexpected change of plans.
High Speed – Urals are geared and tuned for off road use while providing the capability
of long distance travel. The ability to do both restricts maximum speed. Maintaining max
speeds all day can be taxing on the drivetrain, plan ahead to arrive on time to your
destination.
 Rider, no passenger or payload: 65-70 mph.
 Rider and passenger, no payload: 60-65 mph.
 Rider, Passenger and payload up to max GVW 50-60 mph.
Ural recommends a maximum speed of 70 mph. - The recommended max speed is not
intended to be maintained for long periods of time. Reduce maintained max speed
accordingly as temperatures rise throughout the day and/or if you will be traveling long
distances with additional payload.
 Reduce max speed for heavy payloads and as ambient temperatures rise.
 Allow the motor to cool at fill-ups, take a break before resuming on a long trip.
 Give your Ural 20 minutes to cool for every 2 hours.
Long Distance - Ural motorcycles are very capable of long distances if routine
maintenance, rate of speed and the load are adjusted accordingly based on the
conditions.
 If traveling in warm temperatures, reduce speed and/or make periodic
cooldown stops.
 Make it a habit on longer trips to check oil at fill-ups and cooldown/rest stops.
High temperatures and sustained speed can lead to higher level of oil
consumption.

The 2019+ with the new oil pump and larger pushrod tubes help reduce it some, but doesn't solve it (the higher volume sump isn't for cooling, its for thermal stability). No matter what year, temperature gauges, oil coolers, and deep sumps won't make any difference, and worst case be a placebo that could lead one to disregard the instructions in the owners manual.

But what the heck, some owners know better then than the folks who build them.
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2007 Patrol 100k km and counting,
2018/20 M70