Difficulty shifting into neutral/reverse

Newbies, introduce yourself here. Are you thinking about getting one and have questions? Ask your basic questions here. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of The Greasy Wrench" section.
Forum rules
Here's the place for those who are newb or thinking about buying a Ural or Dnepr to introduce themselves ask those typical "newbie" questions. Try using the "Search" link at the top of the page to see if your question may have been asked before. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of the Greasy Wrench" section.
Ghengiz
Comrade
Comrade

Difficulty shifting into neutral/reverse

Post by Ghengiz » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:43 pm

I took my new Ural Gear Up, which I haven't taken delivery of yet, for a test ride around the dealership and it was impossible to shift it into reverse. The dealer tried rocking it back and forth but to no avail. I also noticed that the neutral light did not come on (even though the bike seemed to be in neutral as far as not engaging any gears when the clutch was let out). The dealer guy said that this should not be a big problem and that their mechanic will sort it out "by adjusting the shift lever" before I pick it up. So is it a simple adjustment or breaking in question, or some misalignment/tolerance issue that is more significant.

I am considering whether or not to ask the dealer to switch this rig for one that does not have this problem...

Thoughts?
2019 Gear Up
2012 Kawasaki Concours C14 (still own)
1995 Honda ST1100A
1979 Honda CB750K

chaos2
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Re: Difficulty shifting into neutral/reverse

Post by chaos2 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:58 pm

Probably simple, there is a adjustment stop nut for reverse, and the neutral light adjustment is pretty simple. Just hope the mechanic is better acquainted with Urals than the dealer guy. Not really confidence inspiring, eh?
Past afflictions include limey motocars and bikes, R60/2, R65ls, & a Citroen.
Now a DB Haanjo and Canyon CF SL Endurace, '87 K75s,
and a rusty 2012 GU bought new
dual K&N cones on homemade intake, 40/137.5
Raceway needles, Modtop exhaust, E starter delete
$29 VW Hydraulic steering dampener

Lofty
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Post by Lofty » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:58 pm

Finding Neutral became progressively easier as I put miles on my then-new Gear Up. With 10K on the clock now, it goes into Neutral as easy as I'd want it to.

Shifting into Reverse requires a method, as least on my rig: move the gear lever into Neutral, and then squeeze and release the clutch lever two times in quick succession. Then, hold the clutch lever in whilst pressing firmly on the rear of the Reverse lever to engage the reverse gear. Works every time.
Inventory:
2018 Ural Gear Up
2015 Suzuki DR650
1991 Bianchi Osprey
1952 Columbia RX-5 ('87, NOS)

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:03 pm

Not inspiring at all!

EDIT: What Lofty said.

Normally, the forward gears shift lever must absolutely be in neutral else the reverse lever will be prevented from engaging. This is deliberate, as a safety interlock.

Having said that, the reverse lever can be used to help get the foot shift into neutral. From first gear, simultaneously push back the reverse lever and pull up the shift lever with your toe. The reverse lever should noticeably move back when the pin on the forward gears selector plate lines up with the slot in the reverse selector plate. To engage reverse fully, it is further necessary that the gears be rotating, else reverse won't go in if the dogs aren't lined up, so it may require briefly letting the clutch lever out (assuming it's in neutral!) then pull it in and try again, but don't delay too long else the gears will stop turning again.

The neutral light is turned off by both the shift lever AND the reverse lever. Both have to be in their respective neutral positions for it to be lit. I'm hoping the difficulty is just a breaking in issue and due to stiffness.
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta
(aka Oranzhevaya Opasnost, "The Orange Peril")

ReCycled
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by ReCycled » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:05 pm

Neutral light is simple adjustment.

But my first thought is that you weren't really in neutral. It is possible to find a "false neutral" between other gears, in which case no light and no reverse.
David B.
'07 Ural Twourist

S 854
Commissar
Commissar

Post by S 854 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:35 am

Getting to reverse from neutral isn’t quite easy on my 12+ year old rig... lots of noisy gear grinding going on...

Best way I found is to shift directly from 1st gear... put yer toe under the “forward gears” shifter and lift gently whilst applying pressure on the reverse lever... both will move at the same time and you’ll find yer self in reverse...

This all assumes everything else is correct...

+1 on the false neutral... another easy adjustment would be the clutch... maybe it’s not fully releasing...

Either way... my bet is it’s a simple solution
'07 Arctic: The Russian Raucous Ship

Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out...

INSUBORDINATOR
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by INSUBORDINATOR » Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:29 pm

I've had problems with my pants leg going over the Reverse Lever, & also reaching the darn thing without getting a kink in my back - all personal problems I know.
It's Why I bought This THING (see Pic) When I get ambitious - I hope to complete & operate Reverse & Parking Brake - with it.
I have a plan - just not the required level of ambition - YET
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Current Motorcycles: Improved 2002 Ural Tourist.

"Be who you are & say what you feel. Those that matter won't mind, those that mind - don't matter."

sKiZo
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by sKiZo » Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:50 pm

Good move. I can't remember the last time I had to search for neutral since installing the Raceway tank mount reverse lever on my rig. Lever is down for normal use, up for reverse, and a simple up/down for neutral. Can't say I miss the stock lever one bit.

PS - I hear changing oil or fine tuning the clutch can work wonders when neutral doesn't want to play right. Seems to me I'm running Belray140 hypoid in the trannie here, and it's snick snick snick thru the gears ...

... well ... more like snick ............snick..............snick........... if ya know what I mean. No slip shifting or banging thru the gears like on my old crotch rockets ... not on these beasts! <G>
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Evil Kneivel? He got nuttin' on me!
2011 Ural T
Handicap mods include Raceway foot box, tank shifter w/reverse, and DIY rear brake pedal mods.

Mckaylodge

Post by Mckaylodge » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:25 am

I have 450 miles on a 2018 Retro and neutral is very hard to hit. I just assumed its a Ural quirk. To get into neutral (whether I just want neutral or for fully engaging reverse) I have to start engaging the stock tank reverse lever while simultaneously toe lifting the shift from first to neutral. When I do get fully into neutral the neutral light flickers. The light switch contact on the lower right hand side of the tranny is adjustable. Just follow the cautions reported elsewhere about making tiny adjustments only.
2018 Ural Retro M70 - My first "modern" bike!
Also riding:
1928 Indian 101 Scout
1939 Indian Chief "Police"
1941 Indian Scout (stroked)
1946 Indian Chief (stroked)
1947 Indian Chief
1948 EL Panhead
bobsindians.blogspot.com
New Russia Township
Outside of Oberlin, Ohio

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:28 pm

I couldn't get neutral by the shift lever only for a few thou km. Then suddenly, I could. Just needed breaking in more.
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta
(aka Oranzhevaya Opasnost, "The Orange Peril")

sKiZo
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by sKiZo » Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:44 pm

... must have been built on a понедельник ... <G>
2011 Ural T
Handicap mods include Raceway foot box, tank shifter w/reverse, and DIY rear brake pedal mods.

Peter Pan

Post by Peter Pan » Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:25 pm

Just one observation:
A) Move to neutral while still rolling. In stand still the gears can stay opposed and will not permit to match into reverse at all.
B) I prefer to use to shift into reverse with the heal. = good control and enough force to overcome the sticky point. If needed push a bit the rig with the left foot to find gear match.
C) Perhaps neutral switch might be screwed in too deep and blocks further movement of the selector disk.
Sophie Travelair = Patrol 2013
8 weeks 12.000km Oregon-Alaska-Oregon
With a DIY foam air filter the rig runs well even in tropical rain = :moto:
Final drives: 1. at 5000km, 2. at 34.000km(+friction plates) 3. at 42.386km
transmission: 1. 40.000km. 2. installed
Engine: 1. 43.388km crank replacement: Back on the road since 23.Okt.2019 :party:

The Avatar are 2 rice grains stating life's essence:
"The most important you cannot see!"
=> Attitude makes the difference!

co_g30
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by co_g30 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:24 pm

S 854 wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:35 am
Getting to reverse from neutral isn’t quite easy on my 12+ year old rig... lots of noisy gear grinding going on...

Best way I found is to shift directly from 1st gear... put yer toe under the “forward gears” shifter and lift gently whilst applying pressure on the reverse lever... both will move at the same time and you’ll find yer self in reverse...

This all assumes everything else is correct...

+1 on the false neutral... another easy adjustment would be the clutch... maybe it’s not fully releasing...

Either way... my bet is it’s a simple solution
Yep, S 854's method (Hi Craig!), is basically what I do. Except instead of using the toe of my boot to push up on the shift lever....I use the heel of my boot to press gently down a slight distance while using right heel to push the lever into reverse....
CO_G30
2014 Ural Patrol "Scarlett"
1999 Ural Patrol "Fiona" with '84 R80 engine.
1987 BMW R80 "Brigitta"
2006 Yamaha TW200 "Yagi"
http://redlegsrides.blogspot.com
https://www.facebook.com/redlegsrides

sKiZo
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by sKiZo » Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:12 am

Seeing some of the stuff that goes into shifting a stock rig, I'm glad I never have. I installed the Raceway combo tank shifter before I ever rode it. I just tickle the clutch a bit while moving the lever and it snaps right into whatever gear I select.

PS - I hear tell there's an extra neutral or two lurking between gears. Any truth to that? Can't say I've experienced that myself.
2011 Ural T

Lofty

Post by Lofty » Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:23 pm

sKiZo wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:12 am
I hear tell there's an extra neutral or two lurking between gears. Any truth to that? Can't say I've experienced that myself.
I can confirm that there is a surplus-to-requirements Neutral lurking between 2nd and 3rd gears. Only when I bodge a shift between those two gears, usually via my heel slipping off the lever before the full range of motion is complete, will said Neutral usually make an appearance.

The rubber pads on the shift lever of my '18 GU do show more wear that I had anticipated would occur on a vehicle that was purchased new and isn't even two years old. I'll have to flip them soon enough in order to fully restore the grip that they are intended to provide.
Inventory:
2018 Ural Gear Up
2015 Suzuki DR650
1991 Bianchi Osprey
1952 Columbia RX-5 ('87, NOS)