Hello from a new IMZ M61 owner.

Newbies, introduce yourself here. Are you thinking about getting one and have questions? Ask your basic questions here. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of The Greasy Wrench" section.
Forum rules
Here's the place for those who are newb or thinking about buying a Ural or Dnepr to introduce themselves ask those typical "newbie" questions. Try using the "Search" link at the top of the page to see if your question may have been asked before. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of the Greasy Wrench" section.
Macabry
Party Member
Party Member

Re: Hello from a new IMZ M61 owner.

Post by Macabry » Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:54 pm

Some light fettling done today .... I've been getting tired of the starting procedure I've had to use with no ability to choke/enrich the carbs as I haven't got any tubes between the carbs and air filter. I have been preloading the intake with a syringe but it's messy and it's time for a change.... as shes an IMZ engine with Dnepr box normal intake rubbers dont exist ... so I ordered some corrogated tubing from a pond pump and cut it down to size ..... and here is the result:
20200117_193712.jpg
20200117_193727.jpg
Not pretty and not permanent but one step closer to riding the beast and getting her road tested.

Does it work .... yep, fired her up cold with a couple of kicks and she needs less throttle feathering until she warms up .... so it's a win.

Also had a look at an ongoing annoyance. The seat bushings on the forward and spring pivot points felt truly wrecked.... the new steering bearings now highlight how wobbly and nerve wracking the old seat is.... its actually dangerous its so unstable. So I took it apart and again IMZ has introduced new levels of worn out bits to me :o
20200117_193639.jpg
20200117_193653.jpg
I also did some seat height experiments which was cool .... but now I'm gonna try and come up with a repair on those bushings that makes it feel smooth and stable .... I'll probably bore out the spring top pivot hole and refinish the seat front pivot then consider some bearings and add some grease nipples. This is the nice thing about this bike being a long term project that doesn't have a deadline .... I can choose the upgrade and experiment with impunity 8)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"There are only three sports: mountain climbing, bull fighting, and motor racing. All the rest are merely games"

History:
Honda C70, Honda C90, Mobylette (various), Suzuki GP125, Suzuki DR100, Suzuki DR400, Suzuki GN400, Dnepr K750 rig, BSA M20 (1940),

Current:
IMZ M61 - exact year unknown (Reg'd as 1961)
Suzuki DR400 (Basket case)

Mr Wazzock
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Post by Mr Wazzock » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:33 pm

:lurker:
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta
(aka Oranzhevaya Opasnost, "The Orange Peril")

GregAus
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by GregAus » Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:32 am

Macabry
Party Member
Party Member

Post by Macabry » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:44 am

Thanks GregAus,
I had known I could get repro or NOS parts but Sidecarpro seem to do some nice simple upgrades (nylon bushings and stainless parts) ... I'm definitely interested 8)

Thanks for the link :clap:
20200118_123838.jpg
20200118_123856.jpg
20200118_123911.jpg
My wife even commented about how excited I got about the stainless spring set ..... soooo sad :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"There are only three sports: mountain climbing, bull fighting, and motor racing. All the rest are merely games"

History:
Honda C70, Honda C90, Mobylette (various), Suzuki GP125, Suzuki DR100, Suzuki DR400, Suzuki GN400, Dnepr K750 rig, BSA M20 (1940),

Current:

Macabry
Party Member
Party Member

Post by Macabry » Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:12 pm

In light of the available online parts I did a bit more cleaning/inspection of the seat springs and pivots today.
20200119_164429.jpg
1. The spring and its captive ends are fine and useable , though considering a nicer looking stainless replacement is available I'll have to think about whether I keep it. The adjustable top pivot needs replacing anyway.

2. The seat base frame (pictured) is actually pretty worn with substantial wear and ovaling of the pivot holes. Also, a lot of material has been worn off around the front pivot from years of lateral/diagonal movement. I can reuse it but I'll customise it and weld some metal in (probably weld in some washers to add material around the worst bits .... I do want to keep as much original bits even if they're modded.

3. Interesting to see the original colour below the paint .... its like a duller version of the main colour you see in the pics (which is actually a later overcoat). I have seen this everywhere on the bike including the triple tree stem and under all other paint..... so I say with some assurance that this is her original colour.

Boring day workwise, but took my son out for a spin on my other bike in the nice (but chilly) sun .... couple of hours on country lanes and some hot chocolates in a little cafe and we were both grinning like fools :D

Next up:
- Hidious looking petcock restoration !!! (Might just fit a jap one if its totally screwed).
- an electrical gremlin hunt including headlight wiring, tailight wiring and fitting the solid state regulator instead of the pp302.
- Order and fit the seat bushings etc.
- Adjust the brakes.
- I might add an electronic ignition unit .
- Once the above has been done I'm pretty much ready to get her rolling and try a run.
- Once a running trial has been conducted (even if its sh1te) I'll finally be able to start cutting, modding, grinding, fabricating and welding.... fingers crossed !!!

History:

Current:

Macabry
Party Member
Party Member

Post by Macabry » Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:08 pm

Today I removed the petcock from the tank, boy is it aweful, worn and filthy ... Seized up too :x
20200120_174807.jpg
20200120_174829.jpg
Once I got it stripped, replaced the washers, replaced the seal, it seems to open and close well and it holds against me blowing hard into it .... so we'll see what its like with fuel :!:
20200120_174749.jpg
The first part of the day I just tooled about with the carbs and running the engine .... I have worked out that she starts way way easier from stone cold with full choke and a much richer idle mixture (like 1 kick) .... however, I am unsure about its longterm and highspeed running (It cokes up the plugs really badly when it's idling all the time so I HOPE it balances out on proper running)

Also did some fun stuff looking at the option of a seat template that I might use if I don't go with the standard one. The template actually works well, it makes the whole bike sleeker looking and it is still pretty original looking.

I'll put up some pics tomorrow maybe !

History:

Current:

Macabry
Party Member
Party Member

Post by Macabry » Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:07 pm

Right, instead of doing any custom work and getting distracted, today I tried finishing getting the bike for its road test .... actually it went fairly well, it is 90% genuine useful stuff like tuning, and setting up the brakes etc. With about 10% boring and ultimately pointless stuff like bolting the fenders back on, the rear lights and other stuff thats going to be stripped off again as soon as I've test ridden it..... worth it all in the long run, but tedious !!!

I've had her 3 months now, and I'm finally ready to try her out on the road. I've reattached the tank and it's plumbed in well with a petcock that isn't leaking...yet :wink:

The tyres are pumped up, the front and back brakes are set (maybe a little too much front brake ...but we'll see).

The rest of the bike is torqued up and should be ready for a ride tomorrow .... weather permitting !!! I would have gone today, but I ran out of daylight :|

The mixture is now dialled in so well for starting ! She fires so easily with a light kick.... it's a pleasure, it also stopped a mean backfire I was getting on harsh acceleration. As for power, I won't know until tomorrow but she seems to want to pull really well when I touch her into 1st :D and on reving there is an instant strong torque effect from that big old flywheel ..... it feels great, kinda like my old Torino used to do :twisted:

My guesses about the ride tomorrow are (providing she doesn't catch fire, kill me or get me arrested) :lol: :

1. The front end is still gonna feel wobbly as there is still too much movement in that hub.
2. Brakes are probably both a bit crap, but I hope they'll stop me
3. I'm hoping that she runs as smoothly as she has been .... the is a possibility that riding might uncover new Gremlins :shock:

Wish me luck !!!

Oh, I probably should try and get a video done, but I absolutely hate taking pictures and vids (and I'm crap at it)..... so I probably won't...sorry

History:

Current:

Macabry
Party Member
Party Member

Post by Macabry » Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:27 pm

Almost forgot .... I'm also interested in the performance with different valve clearances !

She was at 0.0mm intake and 0.0mm exhaust when I bought her and got her running first. Since then I've set her to .05mm intake and .05mm exhaust which seemed ok, but now I've set her to .04mm intake and .06mm exhaust and she seems happier.

Who knows .... ??? .... sometimes I think it's like a placebo effect !
Last edited by Macabry on Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

History:

Current:

Claus

Post by Claus » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:21 am

Macabry wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:27 pm

Since then I've set her to 0.5mm intake and 0.5mm exhaust which seemed ok, but now I've set her to 0.4mm intake and 0.6mm exhaust and she seems happier.

:shock: 0,5mm? :shock:
I know about 0,10 to 0,15 inlet and 0,15 to 0,20 exhaust, the russian book says 0,05mm (wich I find too narrow)
owned bikes: 93 Ural rig domestic model, 95 Suzuki DR 650 RSE, BMW R100GS, Suzuki GSX1100G rig, BMW R100R rig with Ural sidecar, Ural rig with BMW drivetrain under construction,

Macabry
Party Member
Party Member

Post by Macabry » Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:54 am

:lol: Corrected..... :P

History:

Current:

Macabry
Party Member
Party Member

Post by Macabry » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:03 pm

Set up for test run, ran her for 5 minutes to warm her up then got myself all ready and rolled her out of the garage. Slipped her into first then off we went ..... I had planned on a 10 minute route that stays close to home AND has no significant down or uphill sections and I was able to take her up to about 50mph (my lack of cofidence in the brakes limited this as she really wanted to give me more). I ended up staying out a bit longer, as it was so much fun but here is the verdict:

1. Less wobble than expected, stable at speed and easy enough to swing around in a turn... heavy but low slung.
2. Really really nice torque from standing, pulls really well and has nice legs as you run up the gears, no backfiring, to stuttering, smooth acceleration to max in 1st and 2nd gears
3. Shorter shifting in first than I'd recalled but not a problem
4. Nice stable and quiet shifting up and down
5. Less engine braking than expected
6. Useable front brake, not too bad
7. Dangerous rear brake, she stops on it but its almost impossible to depress it without some freaky ankle/foot twisting...not nice !!!
8. The clutch was a surprise, quiet and smooth too, better than I'd dreamed of
9.Really comfortable to ride, surprisingly ergonomic, she is my kind of bike, loud and unstressed but capable of really pulling away with a flick of the wrist ....

In short .... I loved it !!!! 8)

What a hoot.... turned heads, grinned the whole way !!!

:clap:

History:

Current:

propwash
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by propwash » Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:13 pm

Great - congrats!
The nannies, noobs and marketers have ruined this place.

Macabry
Party Member
Party Member

Post by Macabry » Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:44 pm

Thanks !!! It's been nice documenting it so far....I'm totally hyped .... I'd forgotten just how much fun these beasts are, even in her current rough state she is so much more ridable and powerful than my old BSA was.

I've rectified/arranged the rear brake lever differently to use the rear footpeg as the front one and allow me to get my big useless feet onto the pedal comfortably ..... I think I'll have another ride tomorrow if the weather isn't too bad.

History:

Current:

Claus

Post by Claus » Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:48 pm

Well, congrats to your great success!
these rigs are fun!
Macabry wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:03 pm

7. Dangerous rear brake, she stops on it but its almost impossible to depress it without some freaky ankle/foot twisting...not nice !!!
As usual. You could manage that with an orthopedic correction of your ankle :lol: or with an angle grinder and a mig welder to modify the lever. Most of my Customers have corrected that with the second variant and so did I on my former MW650. On many Dneprs it can be corrected by adjusting the lever as well. This foot brake lever is real :bs:
Take your time with shifting gears. After a while you´ll feel what she wants.

:cheers:
owned bikes: 93 Ural rig domestic model, 95 Suzuki DR 650 RSE, BMW R100GS, Suzuki GSX1100G rig, BMW R100R rig with Ural sidecar, Ural rig with BMW drivetrain under construction,

Macabry
Party Member
Party Member

Post by Macabry » Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:08 pm

Thanks Claus, and thanks to all of you for your advice and help so far .... now the restoration begins !!!

Temporarily I've flipped the rear footpeg 180 degrees so that will be the front peg and allow me to toe the brake pedal properly !!!
I'm actually thinking of a total repositioning of the pegs for the rebuild ... it's better than ankle surgery as you say 8)

Yep, slow shifts are key.... I'm impressed by the nice wave of torque on shifting then accelerating , better than my old K750 .... which I remember being a bit dead in the high end.....this ohv is a sweet lump :D

History:

Current: