Non-Ethanol Blended Gas

Newbies, introduce yourself here. Are you thinking about getting one and have questions? Ask your basic questions here. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of The Greasy Wrench" section.
Forum rules
Here's the place for those who are newb or thinking about buying a Ural or Dnepr to introduce themselves ask those typical "newbie" questions. Try using the "Search" link at the top of the page to see if your question may have been asked before. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of the Greasy Wrench" section.
santareg
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019

Non-Ethanol Blended Gas

Post by santareg » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:49 am

Has anyone used clear or non-ethanol blended gas. Any advantage? They pump it (91 octane) at a couple stations in La Pine, OR. A bit more expensive so wondered if there was in pro or cons to using it in my 2014 F.I. Gear Up.
:old: Santa :old:
Ron Gerhart aka Santa
Сани Санта-два
2014 Ural Gear Up -- Santa's Sleigh #2
1977 BMW R100S / Sputnik -- Santa's Sleigh #1 -- Sold
2005 Kawasaki 1600 Vulcan / Motorvation Formula II -- KawaHack -- Sold
A.S.A. Herzo Base 64-68 SP5

hillbillybob
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Re: Non-Ethanol Blended Gas

Post by hillbillybob » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:56 am

Ethanol free, is the only grade of fuel I will put in any of my bikes....and then only from a dedicated hose/pump. Most of my stuff is older, and ethanol doesn't play well with some of the fuel system components, it will separate if allowed it sit for extended periods, and attracts moisture.

In Arizona, you can run the blended fuels without consequences, but up here, where bikes go unused half of the year, I pay the extra $.40 or $.50 a gallon for the good stuff.
Current Rides:
2006 Ural Troyka "Boris"
2000 BMW R1200C "Schultz"
1999 BMW R1200C "Dooley"
2011 Chinese 150cc Scooter "Johnny" (15,221 breakdown free miles)

Tin Man
Commissar
Commissar

Post by Tin Man » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:17 am

Alcohol free gas is available in my area, about 35 miles from the house in a direction I almost never travel. :roll:
Yes, it makes a difference in MPG.
Mike
2007 GearUp (Arctic #1)
130/45 jets, KTM rock solid mirrors, Delaware Dave's outstanding trunk lock, Mr. Cob's most excellent skid plate, Cycra Probend smashproof hand guards, Duro strong like bull 307's, RotoPax damn near bulletproof fuel cans, MKIII all but water proof air box and Dimples super duper magnetic drain plugs all around...oh yeah, and a manual fuel petcock.

.........if you see something that needs doing, just do it........

harryball
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by harryball » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:00 am

I try to run eth-free and I do see about 2mpg better mileage and less heat. Around home (2 miles from a large lake) it is easy to get. When we travel I look for it but don't fret since we are going to run the fuel right out anyway. I run the highest octane available if eth-free is unavailable.

On our carbed rigs there was a noticable drop in power with eth fuel. On the EFI I don't notice the difference, only more heat and lower mpg.

Do the EFIs need premium fuel is a debate I will leave for others. Just remember, it's not about compression, it's about HEAT. If anyone has the urge to argue about it, don't. It's my money, I'll do what I want, shutup and ride.
---
2017 - cT - "Georgia" My wife's rig.
2017 - M70/Retro, Sigmund. My wife's other rig.
Robert
http://HabitatForBats.org - Give a bat a home!

Lofty

Post by Lofty » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:35 am

santareg wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:49 am
Has anyone used clear or non-ethanol blended gas. Any advantage?
A bit more expensive so wondered if there was in pro or cons to using it in my 2014 F.I. Gear Up.
I feed my 2018 Gear Up either 93 E10, or 90 E0, depending on what's convenient at the time. The latter provides a 1 to 3 mpg advantage, depending on my average riding speeds after filling the tank. It's also 1 octane less than the factory-specified 91 octane, so I tend to alternate between the E10 and the E0.

I do use a IR temperature gun to monitor head temperatures after each ride, esp. during the summer. The right head is usually 3 to 5 degrees hotter, which I attribute to the effect of the sidecar on airflow. Since the variance is arguably modest, and consistent, I don't worry about it, or attempt to walk it back to the type of fuel in the tank at the time.

The E0 is ~50 cents per gallon more costly than the ethanol-laced nonsense. This is more than "a bit more expensive", particularly when I have to drive to the adjacent county to purchase real gas. I do maintain a store of 40 gallons of the stuff (in genuine 20l NATO cans) in the shed; this allows me to draw from it as needed whilst preventing constant trips in the truck to replenish my inventory. My OPE (snow blower, riding mower, etc.) is fed from the same stores.

In a pinch, I have two of the funnels linked here. They really work! Fuel flows through the hi-tech filter mesh; water, its ancillaries and detritus do not.
http://www.mrfunnel.com/Mr._Funnel/Home.html
Inventory:
2018 Ural Gear Up
2015 Suzuki DR650
1991 Bianchi Osprey
1952 Columbia RX-5 ('87, NOS)

windmill
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by windmill » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:50 pm

I wouldn't bother with an EFI rig. For carbed rigs that don't get used often it may be a good idea. E fuel in the float bowl evaporating is the main issue.
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2007 Patrol 100k km and counting,
2018 M70

windmill
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by windmill » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:01 pm

harryball wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:00 am

Do the EFIs need premium fuel is a debate I will leave for others. Just remember, it's not about compression, it's about HEAT. If anyone has the urge to argue about it, don't. It's my money, I'll do what I want, shutup and ride.
If I put regular in either of my rigs, they sometimes run on, or have other minor issues. Those who get away with using it may not realize fuel is blended differently depending on location and time of year.

There isn't an easy, one size fits all answer to what is best.
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2007 Patrol 100k km and counting,
2018 M70

rivers

Post by rivers » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:26 pm

Real gas (E0) works just fine in our carbed or EFI rigs. For me it's avail in town about 8 miles away. That's pretty much all I use in in everything, bikes, truck, car. If out of the area and need fuel I'll run common E10 cause hopefully it gets used up quickly or I'll treat it with Stabil if on the way home and I'll end up storing it in the tank awhile. E0 stores longer than E10. Other than the shelf life/storage factor and possible related grief the only advantage of E0 is slightly better mpg's(5-10%). Point being...yeah your 014 EFI will run great on E0. Is it worth it to you? I dunno?
Joe
014 GU
"I'm lost but I'm making good time."

RC20

Post by RC20 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:45 pm

The Ural is the first rig I could tell the difference with between Ethanol and non. AK uses it in the winter for emissions purposes.

As soon as I hit Washington State and all the stations I (err visited) had 10%, the MPG dropped to 33 mpg from an average of 37.

I think I had half a tank left when I took the ferry from Bellingham WA to Haines and fueled up there on low test (I don't use high in remote areas). I got 38 mph on the first run.

Performance wise I don't see any difference thought that is pretty hard to tell with varied terrain.

The only aspect I feel changes is it idles better and a bit smoother in town on the high test maybe.

That was my MO for my other cycles, high test in town where the fuel was not stale and a lot less likely to have water in it from sitting and low octane on the road.

The Pumps I used in Oregon were not marked as Ethanol and the fuel mileage was 36-37.

Best run was in Canada on non major pass or climbing rolling hill stuff and got 40 mpg. Low test.

I think someone has asked Ilya and his response was it had to do with emissions and not performance in low vs high test.
Formerly Owned: ( various rides on others)
Honda 90
2 x CB750K (one a true Japan Model flown to Hawaii by a P3 Orion Sub Patrol Aircraft!)
1 x CB700 SC (RC20 is the actual in house production Model)
1 x R80GS (ok to start with, learned to love it for what it was)
1 x CB450K
1 x 2019 cT Terracotta

Mechanic/Technician/Engineer: Electro Mechanical Systems

darkhorse
Party Member
Party Member

Post by darkhorse » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:39 am

I am not sure where to get non-ethanol gas in my area with the exception of a few Marina's. I always thought the big issue with ethanol is that it is prone to absorbing water from the air which is particularly problematic if gas sits too long in a tank (whether in your own fuel tank or the tanks at the gas station). Is that accurate or are there other inherent problems with ethanol?
2001 Ural Deco Classic
PowerArc Ignition

When you come to a fork in the road, take it.

Lofty

Post by Lofty » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:27 am

darkhorse wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:39 am
I always thought the big issue with ethanol is that it is prone to absorbing water from the air which is particularly problematic if gas sits too long in a tank (whether in your own fuel tank or the tanks at the gas station). Is that accurate or are there other inherent problems with ethanol?
That's accurate. Ethanol is hygroscopic, meaning it attracts water and absorbs moisture. The problems occur when the water doesn't remain in suspension in gasoline, and settles at the bottom of the fuel can or tank (water being heavier than gas.) This event is called phase separation, and it leads to a host of problems.

https://petroclear.com/resources/dont-be-phased.php

Being corrosive, ethanol can also cause havoc with rubber gas hose that isn't specifically manufactured to be compatible with such fuels.
Inventory:
2018 Ural Gear Up
2015 Suzuki DR650
1991 Bianchi Osprey
1952 Columbia RX-5 ('87, NOS)

chaos2
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by chaos2 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:56 am

FWIW, corn gas is really the only option around here and my rig's been happy with it for 7 years and 55,000 Km. When it starts running funky usually draining the float bowels clears it up.
past afflictions include limey motocars and bikes, R60/2, R65ls, and a Citroen.
Now an 87 K75s, DB Haanjo gravel bike, and a rusty 2012 GU bought new
dual K&N cones on homemade intake, 40/137.5
Raceway needles, Modtop exhaust
$29 VW Hydraulic steering dampener

santareg

Post by santareg » Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:12 am

Thanks to all for the information! I will be using "Clear Gas" while in Central Oregon, when we return to Arizona in the fall it will be back to ethanol since I have not found a station in the Phoenix area (west valley) that has the good stuff on tap. Bummer!
:old: Santa :old:
Ron Gerhart aka Santa
Сани Санта-два
2014 Ural Gear Up -- Santa's Sleigh #2
1977 BMW R100S / Sputnik -- Santa's Sleigh #1 -- Sold
2005 Kawasaki 1600 Vulcan / Motorvation Formula II -- KawaHack -- Sold
A.S.A. Herzo Base 64-68 SP5

Marine Corps Codu

Post by Marine Corps Codu » Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:51 am

Here is a fantastic app to find pure non ethanol has. https://www.pure-gas.org/maps
Keith Birkhofer
Marine By Choice
2018 Gear Up
Former Bikes:
1947 Cushman Motor Scooter
1958 Cushman Motor Scooter
1964 Yamaguchi
1965 Honda 250
1968 KZ100
1960 Honda 55 (2 of them)
2002 Honda Gold Wing
2006 Ural Patrol
2005 BMW GS1200
2018 Ural Gear Up

hillbillybob
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by hillbillybob » Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:16 am

Marine Corps Codu wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:51 am
Here is a fantastic app to find pure non ethanol has. https://www.pure-gas.org/maps
+1.....And, if you happen to find an unlisted station in your travels (as I have)...You can add it to their site.
Current Rides:
2006 Ural Troyka "Boris"
2000 BMW R1200C "Schultz"
1999 BMW R1200C "Dooley"
2011 Chinese 150cc Scooter "Johnny" (15,221 breakdown free miles)