Meet Vitaly and first curiosities

Newbies, introduce yourself here. Are you thinking about getting one and have questions? Ask your basic questions here. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of The Greasy Wrench" section.
Forum rules
Here's the place for those who are newb or thinking about buying a Ural or Dnepr to introduce themselves ask those typical "newbie" questions. Try using the "Search" link at the top of the page to see if your question may have been asked before. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of the Greasy Wrench" section.
edscalatie

Meet Vitaly and first curiosities

Post by edscalatie » Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:23 am

Hi everyone,
A short introduction, my name is Ed, come from the Netherlands and have been the proud owner of an Ural m66 freshly imported from Poland.
WhatsApp Image 2019-06-01 at 22.27.37.jpeg
It's my first sovjet machine but not the first time I got my fingers greasy (or whatever came out of the gearbox :roll: ).
After the obligatory small ride through the neighborhood I have started dismantling the bike for a nice service.
One of the oddities that I ran into was the oil filter.
Normally the filter slides over a pipe in the filter housing plug.
Mine is a bit different, my filter gets pushed against the top of the engine case with a spring that lies in the bottom of the plug.
Between the engine and the casing there is a little felt ring that seems to be some sort of seal between the filter and the casing.
Because the filter assembly launched into my hands when screwing of the plug i'm not sure how it goes back together.
Did I guess wrong or do I need some special parts?
Is anyone known with this type of assembly and if i can exchange this weird setup with the default plug with oil channels?
The pictures below show my oil filter plug.
Because I have a 2in1 exhaust system and was dumb enough last night to reattach the pipes I do not have an image of the inside engine case yet.
IMG_20190605_074131062_HDR.jpg
IMG_20190605_074151107_HDR.jpg
IMG_20190605_074157958_HDR.jpg
IMG_20190605_074206583_HDR.jpg
All help is always appreciated.
Thanks for reading this far, I hope to contribute to this forum as well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Current rig: Ural m66, 1972

Does it leak? Yes--> Good! ; No--> time to fill it up

Tomcatfixer
Commissar
Commissar

Re: Meet Vitaly and first curiosities

Post by Tomcatfixer » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:36 am

Welcome, Ed. That's a fine-looking rig you have there.

Please take an opportunity to include your location and bike information in your signature line. This gives those that read your posts context about you and your bike.
- Chad

Gordonsville, Virginia, USA

Current rides:
2015 Ural cT "Mobile Chernobyl", 2001 Ural Patrol "The Patrol", 1999 Ural Tourist "The RPOC", 1994 Honda VFR750F

Previous rides:
2007 Honda VTR1000 FireStorm (Super Hawk in U.S.)
2001 Buell Blast! - - - - - - - 2005 Yamaha FJR1300
1993 Honda CBR600F2 - -1984 Yamaha FJ1100
Two different 1986 Yamaha FZX700S Fazers

rivers
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019

Post by rivers » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:37 am

Welcome, and good morning. I'm not familiar with an M66 and I'm just starting on my first cup of coffee so that's my first excuse but I think(?) the pics you show is the access cover on top of the motor for the oil pump drive gear and shaft? What's under the spring? On Urals I've had(later 750's) the oil filter is in the round housing in the bottom/front of the timing chest at the front of the motor. Hopefully someone else can jump in here and help you.
Joe
014 GU
"I'm lost but I'm making good time."

propwash
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by propwash » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:24 am

See attachment
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tomcatfixer
Commissar
Commissar

Post by Tomcatfixer » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:48 pm

I think(?) the pics you show is the access cover on top of the motor for the oil pump drive gear and shaft?
Joe, after you wake up, please re-read his post. He explains everything quite well. 😉
- Chad

Gordonsville, Virginia, USA

Current rides:
2015 Ural cT "Mobile Chernobyl", 2001 Ural Patrol "The Patrol", 1999 Ural Tourist "The RPOC", 1994 Honda VFR750F

Previous rides:
2007 Honda VTR1000 FireStorm (Super Hawk in U.S.)
2001 Buell Blast! - - - - - - - 2005 Yamaha FJR1300
1993 Honda CBR600F2 - -1984 Yamaha FJ1100
Two different 1986 Yamaha FZX700S Fazers

edscalatie

Post by edscalatie » Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:59 pm

Hi guys,

Thank you very much for the replies.
I will add the info to my signature one of these days.
The exploded diagram that has been posted by propwash is exactly my setup, thank you very much.
I'm looking for the right ( any language) workshop manual but I'm first figuring out exactly what I have got here.
It's a Dnepr gearbox with a Ural (presumably m66 or m67 engine) but the wiring seems very modern.
The paperwork indicates 1972 but all the electrics seems to come from the mid 1980's when I compare the different diagrams.
Oh well, the old sovjets didn't care to much about the looks, as long as it ran.
For now I'm happy with the new info and trying to get the bike up to a roadworthy standard.
After that it will go to the dutch vehicle office for the paperwork (and sometimes a technical inspection).
Enjoy the coffee!

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:30 pm

:lurker:
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta
(aka Oranzhevaya Opasnost, "The Orange Peril")

edscalatie

Post by edscalatie » Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:50 am

Small update from the dutch department.
Went to the inspection and vehicle registration office with high hopes.
The clutch had shown some infidelities along the way (the pushrod actuator thingy was getting worn and did not push the clutch in properly).
This ended in a little disaster 3 km's (or about 1.8 miles) before the registration office.
Clutch slipped quite vigorous in first gear with my foot firmly on the rear break.
The result was that the semi weak rear drive sort of broke into pieces and oil was everywhere.
The complete house already had shown some small hairline cracks, but now it has exploded into nice chunks.
Luckily the registration office was right behind the company where I work, so a small push and some laughs later I got towed away back home.
I will spare the blasphemy in between the breakdown and the first laugh.
Result, no license plate yet and new parts on order.
Still smiling though, just reduced the priority a bit to spend some more time with the friends and family.
The green rascal will be my pride and joy!

edscalatie

Post by edscalatie » Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:52 am

To make sure to contribute to this forum as well.
My Ural has passed the regulations and is now a legal dutch citizen.
Seriously though I got the paperwork completed and drove the first 500km's.

Also I'm trying 32mm chinese carburetors (cvk32 gy6), the old Pekars were utter crap.
Only the castings were straight, everything else was bend into nice banana shapes.
The new carbs I've got setup like the Keihins attached to the later Urals before the electronic injection units

At what cylinder head temperatures do you guys run the rigs?
Mine become pretty hot after about 5 minutes and steams of water instantly after 10 minutes.
Smells a bit as well and produces some blow by.
Even though it has been happily running 80 to 95 km/h so not complaining to much.

Snakeoil
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by Snakeoil » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:01 am

Sorry to hear of your FD destruction. But it would appear from your latest post that solved that minor setback and are enjoying the rig. Better it failed where it did than in the middle of nowhere.

Can't help you with cylinder temps. But several members here run CHT systems and can probably give you a range of temps for various loads and riding conditions. I would not be concerned about any water flashing to steam. Smells of a hot engine are also not uncommon, especially if you've recently had it apart. All the grime and such that gets smeared on the hot parts while handling, cleaning, lubing etc., burn off over time and that time can often be somewhat lengthy. The paint I used on my T120R Triumph still gives off an odor when the engine is hot. And it has been on there for several years.
Regards,
Rob
Proud member of the Peanut Gallery
2000 Ural Tourist
40 Pilots, 122 Mains
Before you say something stupid, always ask yourself, "What would Harpo say?".

Lofty

Post by Lofty » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:50 am

edscalatie wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:52 am
At what cylinder head temperatures do you guys run the rigs?
Mine become pretty hot after about 5 minutes and steams of water instantly after 10 minutes.
Congratulations on getting your Ural in a roadworthy and legal condition. :thumbsup:

I'm in the habit of checking the head temperatures on my 2018 Ural, immediately after shutting off the engine, using an infrared thermometer (example: https://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-Lasergr ... B00837ZGRY)

By way of example: on a noticeably warm summer day, and with the thermometer aimed at the exhaust port on the top side of the head, the observed temperature usually hovers around 275F / 135C. This is the high end of things; I'd expect the same reading to be observably lower if riding in today's 32 F / 0C outdoor temperature.

What I'm monitoring is the consistency of the readings (a material change may indicate a problem) and the presence of balanced cooling (I prefer that the temperature of the right cylinder head varies no more than 3 to 7 degrees Fahrenheit from the left head).

I've also periodically taken temperature readings with the engine idling and warmed up to its regular running temperature. I don't recall those readings at the moment, so I'll defer to those who have cylinder head temperature gauges to provide informed commentary here.
Inventory:
2018 Ural Gear Up
2015 Suzuki DR650
1991 Bianchi Osprey
1952 Columbia RX-5 ('87, NOS)

edscalatie

Post by edscalatie » Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:30 am

Snakeoil wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:01 am
Sorry to hear of your FD destruction. But it would appear from your latest post that solved that minor setback and are enjoying the rig. Better it failed where it did than in the middle of nowhere.
The middle of nowhere in the Netherlands is pretty hard to find :P . Most of the time there is a civilized world pretty close by.

Even though you are correct, destroying a final drive is not the best way to end a tour.
I will be mounring thermocouples to the spark plugs and bolt two temperature gauges to the leg guards.
Also I'll be playing around with the carbs and hone the cylinders.
At least reducing the temperature difference between the cylinders seems like a really good tip, thanks!!
I'll keep you updated on Chinese carbs experience.
Thanks for the input as always!

INSUBORDINATOR
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by INSUBORDINATOR » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:57 am

FYI: The 650s & earliest 750 share some engine parts. My 650 had the same 2 into 1 exhaust system. Of note the first 750s also had exhaust headers that slide into the heads - if you could find a pair of double headers & later mufflers (with the cross over beneath the rear of the transmission) - you could then use the clever Russian made adapter (found on EBAY @ $60.), & screw on modern car oil filters.
*A photo of my old 650 engine: see improved German made fuel tap (screwed right in) + Improved VW Air filter & cover Using PVC Floor drain part as base. Also the Mikuni Carbs were stock in USA - highly recommended.
*Photo of adapter & screw on filter on my 2002 750. I like it much better.

Just a few options. I tried about 5 NEW Russian fuel taps - & ALL LEAKED - unsafe in a Garage with a gas water heater. Loved my 650 - but an electric starter became a necessity = newer 750.

Best Wishes, C.
Current Motorcycles: Improved 2002 Ural Tourist.

"Be who you are & say what you feel. Those that matter won't mind, those that mind - don't matter."

Claus

Post by Claus » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:44 pm

Hi Ed, good for you to have your rig on the road legally!
There will be a very pleasant eastern block rallye in Friesland from May 21 to May 24 in Marrum/Netherland. I have been there once a couple of years ago and it was worth every single km of the 800 I rode that weekend.More information will be provided on seedykstertoer.nl

About the cylinder head temperature: I know that they can reach 150° to 170°C without problems in summer or in traffic jam.The 650 models most of the times run hotter than the modern engines, especially with the two-in-one exhaust system. I would not be interested in the actuel temperature but as written above, that they are both at a similar temp.
Last edited by Claus on Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
owned bikes: 93 Ural rig domestic model, 95 Suzuki DR 650 RSE, BMW R100GS, Suzuki GSX1100G rig, BMW R100R rig with Ural sidecar, Ural rig with BMW drivetrain under construction,

GregAus
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by GregAus » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:24 pm

Bike is an M-67.