New to Ural and Sidecars

Newbies, introduce yourself here. Are you thinking about getting one and have questions? Ask your basic questions here. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of The Greasy Wrench" section.
Forum rules
Here's the place for those who are newb or thinking about buying a Ural or Dnepr to introduce themselves ask those typical "newbie" questions. Try using the "Search" link at the top of the page to see if your question may have been asked before. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of the Greasy Wrench" section.
Pterodactyl
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Re: New to Ural and Sidecars

Post by Pterodactyl » Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:15 am

Finally got it home. It is a very different experience to ride. Requires a great deal of focus as a new to sidecars rider, but it is a great deal of fun.

Kevin
The Outpost, Silver City, MT
2018 Ural Gear Up, 2017 R1200GSA
After taking several readings I’m surprised to find my mind is fairly sound..... Willie Nelson, Me and Paul

S 854
Commissar
Commissar

Post by S 854 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:20 am

Nice!!!

Maybe I can get over to see it in person this weekend...
'07 Arctic: The Russian Raucous Ship

Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out...

Pterodactyl

Post by Pterodactyl » Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:45 am

S 854 wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:20 am
Nice!!!

Maybe I can get over to see it in person this weekend...
That will be great. Rode it up to Great Divide and Marysville twice yesterday. Seems like a great road for learning; little traffic with several turns and elevation changes.
Kevin
After taking several readings I’m surprised to find my mind is fairly sound..... Willie Nelson, Me and Paul

hotflash44
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by hotflash44 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:28 am

beautiful Ural, glad your enjoying it.was thinking yesterday as i was riding how different it is from a so called regular bike. why i would like this thing i pondered. slow, clunky, harder to steer, seems all the gear ratios are fighting each other, 55 mph my preferd top speed,people behind me looking to pass as if im holding up traffic. thinking okay here comes a tight right hand turn slow down down shift if able to of course in the wrong gear, then try to speed up as fast as you can as not to pizz off the guy behind you. then it dawned on me that is exactly what i like about the Ural,im i deranged or what? :wink: :roll: :cheers:
2016 gear up asphalt grey, name Seryy Medved ,Air America CIA circa 1967/8 Vung Tau Viet Nam USS Tutuila ARG-4 (AND JUST A TOUCH OF AGENT ORANGE!)

treeman1942
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by treeman1942 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:32 am

Yes! :boogie:
2019 Ural Gear Up, OD Green
1977 BMW R100/7 (original owner)
2014 Burgman 400/A
2008 Piaggio MP3250
Whizzer Motorbike

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
Will Rogers

Pterodactyl

Post by Pterodactyl » Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:01 pm

So I guess the seat removal and installation process is some sort of cruel initiation ritual. Pretty soon I will receive in the mail the actual mounting hardware, that allows removing it with one hand... right.....? :roll: I am surprised that Ural has not fixed this with all the other upgrades they have done, or at least that there isn't an aftermarket solution. I have some ideas on how to make it better, if not good.
Kevin

Bendog02760

Post by Bendog02760 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:16 pm

Looking good, take it slow and enjoy!!! :cheers:
Current Rides:
2012 GU (I bought in May 2017) All my GU rides are with my dog, Liberty
HD Road King
HD Wide Glide
Owned about 15 other HD over years
Boston Mass.

hotflash44
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by hotflash44 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:01 pm

Pterodactyl wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:01 pm
So I guess the seat removal and installation process is some sort of cruel initiation ritual. Pretty soon I will receive in the mail the actual mounting hardware, that allows removing it with one hand... right.....? :roll: I am surprised that Ural has not fixed this with all the other upgrades they have done, or at least that there isn't an aftermarket solution. I have some ideas on how to make it better, if not good.
i thought the same thoughts as to why Ural doesn't fix this or that,and was soon advised not to forget how small the factory is, im happy and surprised that they have been able to upgrade what they have. i love my 2016 GU and don't have a need to go the 2019 route,but i will be watching and reading and hope that all goes well for Ural . :cheers:
2016 gear up asphalt grey, name Seryy Medved ,Air America CIA circa 1967/8 Vung Tau Viet Nam USS Tutuila ARG-4 (AND JUST A TOUCH OF AGENT ORANGE!)

Lofty

Post by Lofty » Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:04 pm

Pterodactyl wrote:
So I guess the seat removal and installation process is some sort of cruel initiation ritual. Pretty soon I will receive in the mail the actual mounting hardware, that allows removing it with one hand... right.....?

I am surprised that Ural has not fixed this with all the other upgrades they have done, or at least that there isn't an aftermarket solution.
We presume you mean the Enduro bench seat, which is standard on 2018 Gear Ups.

There is an aftermarket solution, of sorts: replace the rear bolts with stainless thumb screws. This reduces the tool requirement for seat removal to a single combination wrench for removal of the front locknut.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1
Inventory:
2018 Ural Gear Up
2015 Suzuki DR650
1991 Bianchi Osprey
1952 Columbia RX-5 ('87, NOS)

hotflash44
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by hotflash44 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:07 pm

Pterodactyl wrote:
i thought the same thoughts as to why Ural doesn't fix this or that,and was soon advised not to forget how small the factory is, im happy and surprised that they have been able to upgrade what they have. i love my 2016 GU and don't have a need to go the 2019 route,but i will be watching and reading and hope that all goes well for Ural . :cheers: PS, my sick imagination sees a small room with gray paint pealing and a rusty desk and a old sign hanging by one nail that reads research and development dept,and a guy laying on the floor in a pool of vomit with a empty vodka bottle in his hand. :sarcasm: :lol: :lol:

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:22 pm

Pterodactyl wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:15 am
Finally got it home. It is a very different experience to ride.
Isn't it just? :o My first thought was what the feck have I done...

Enduro seat, yeah, I've done mine a couple of times now, there is a knack to it. I've found I can insert a hand up between the rear fender and tire from the back while holding an Allen key and do the screws by feel, no need to jack up the suspension, but then I have slim hands and wrists. The front nut is a special kind of Chinese puzzle designed to test your patience. :D I can just about get a flat 17mm ring spanner on it and just about turn it. The tricky bit is taking it off then putting it back on with just two overstretched fingers.
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta
(aka Oranzhevaya Opasnost, "The Orange Peril")

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:24 pm

PS, fab photo. :clap:
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta
(aka Oranzhevaya Opasnost, "The Orange Peril")

Happytrails

Post by Happytrails » Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:20 pm

Mr Wazzock wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:22 pm
Pterodactyl wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:15 am
Finally got it home. It is a very different experience to ride.
Isn't it just? :o My first thought was what the feck have I done...
Me too, I thought I had made a very expensive mistake. But then it turns to "why did I wait so long to do this?" :)
-JR

2018 Ural GearUp, Urban Camo
1991 Honda Goldwing SE

"riding is good therapy"

RC20

Post by RC20 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:53 pm

Back in the early 80s I got to ride a Norton with a side car (he had lost a leg in an aircraft crash in the Navy)

Yes it was different but it was intriguing as well. I am going to take it easy and work my way into it, stay on back roads as much as possible.
I like learning new equipment, never brilliant at it but I adjust to decent pretty quickly (I operated a wide range of equ9ipment when I was younger) .

The one that threw me was the R80 GS initially (actually was my wifes but she handed it off to me when she had to quit riding) . I felt I was missing something but could not figure it out. One part was failure to use the engine, no tach, but those funny marks on the Speedo were allowed gear limits. Hmm, shifting way too soon. Ahh, now better, less tractor and more cycle - it had a lot more rpm upside than I thought. And even with 100 lbs of gear it performed as good as no gear.

The other part was the suspension, As someone said, you never ever want to bog down a bike that heavy (done it twice on a 750 and the R80, damned near gutted myself getting out.

Well it turns out you could do 65 on the worst road in the world as long as it was packed hard. I passed a lady in Canada one time on bad road, she was one of those more typical male drives that got offended. She racks it up to more speed . Hmm, my brother taught me to loose them or exit fast, you never know what the hell they are going to do.

So I ramp it up to 60ish, she ramps up but she sure is starting to do some interesting twist and vertical stuff. Up to 65, she ramps it up and its getting kind of crazy back there. I am just as smooth drag strip. I am doing 70 at the end and just fine and she fades off, but she sure was getting wild back there.

Ran another 30 minute to loose her for sure and then back to 55. Dang, I was out there to enjoy the world not go fast. But that R80 GS sure was amazing on the rough stuff and I saw how you could win the Paris/Decar race with it.
Fear No Gravel
Formerly Owned: ( various rides on others)
Honda 90
2 x CB750K (one a true Japan Model flown to Hawaii by a P3 Orion Sub Patrol Aircraft!)
1 x CB700 SC ala Shaft Drive Nighthawk S (RC20 is the actual in house production Model)
1 x R80GS (ok to start with, learned to love it for what it was)
1 x CB450K

Current:
1 x 2019 cT Terracotta

What I Did (I quit June 2 , 2019)
Mechanic/Technician/Engineer: Electro Mechanical Systems

Pterodactyl

Post by Pterodactyl » Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:23 pm

Lofty wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:04 pm
Pterodactyl wrote:
So I guess the seat removal and installation process is some sort of cruel initiation ritual. Pretty soon I will receive in the mail the actual mounting hardware, that allows removing it with one hand... right.....?

I am surprised that Ural has not fixed this with all the other upgrades they have done, or at least that there isn't an aftermarket solution.
We presume you mean the Enduro bench seat, which is standard on 2018 Gear Ups.

There is an aftermarket solution, of sorts: replace the rear bolts with stainless thumb screws. This reduces the tool requirement for seat removal to a single combination wrench for removal of the front locknut.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1
Thank you.
Kevin