Newbie pulling hard to the right.

Newbies, introduce yourself here. Are you thinking about getting one and have questions? Ask your basic questions here. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of The Greasy Wrench" section.
Forum rules
Here's the place for those who are newb or thinking about buying a Ural or Dnepr to introduce themselves ask those typical "newbie" questions. Try using the "Search" link at the top of the page to see if your question may have been asked before. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of the Greasy Wrench" section.
Jbjflyer

Newbie pulling hard to the right.

Post by Jbjflyer » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:00 am

I had a few shots of Vodka and pull the trigger. Sold the street gilde and purchase a 2018 Sahara last week (6-14). One week later I’m on the road traveling from Tampa to South Carolina. My question to you Experience Soviet Steeds, how hard should the rig pull to the right? At 60 mph I need both hands on the bars and my shoulders look like I’ve been working out for weeks. I’ve tried lane movement, hung out on the left but what ever I do the bike pulls heavy right. Yes, we are loaded up on weight but feels like it’s pulling much to hard. Is this normal for the Ural or do I have a alinement problem?

Loving my choice to change to Vodka but my shoulders are burning.

Ride Safe.

Mr Wazzock
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2018

Re: Newbie pulling hard to the right.

Post by Mr Wazzock » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:15 am

Shouldn't be doing it. In a straight line on flat pavement (no camber) should track straight at a constant speed even to the degree can take your hands off. I presume you know or have figured it will pull right accelerating and left decelerating? This is normal due to the mass of the sidecar. Guessing but either toe in is wrong or maybe sidecar brake is dragging.
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta

Jbjflyer

Post by Jbjflyer » Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:19 am

Thanks for the reply Mike. Yep, pulls to the right when accelerating. ...pulls almost straight durning de acceleration. Will check the sidecar brake.

Have great weekend.

Lokiboy

Post by Lokiboy » Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:48 am

In your description did it handle ok at lower speeds? The higher speed may have just made it more pronounced.

Anyway, your side car needs to be toe-in a bit (pulls to the right sidecar needs to aim more toward the bike. Pulls to the left, side car need to aim slightly away from the bike). There are all sorts of ways to do it, most involves Rube Goldberg complexity with metal strips, fluorescent lights, measuring tape, chicken bones and a terret card reader etc.. Here’s an easy way.

- loosen the two nuts on the FD guard
- free up either the top or bottom rear sidecar support
- mark with a sharpie where the sidecar’s adjustment is on the rig’s dog leg (so you have a reference point). Do a mark like a cross so you have an in and out, and an up and down reference point
- nudge the sidecar out approx. 1/4 inch or so with your shoulder
- tighten everything back down, ride, (flat road/parking lot)
- go back and nudge/pull a bit more as needed
- Should take about 30min to nail it down.

Once you've found the sweet spot take a Dremel tool and make a mark on the adjustment arm for a permanent reference.

Oh, cardboard under the hack’s wheel makes it slide a lot easier.

Note:
- The two nuts at the FD guard pinch the sidecar sleeve. Once lose, the side car’s sleeve can slide in and out, but also up and down.

- If it’s stuck, you may need to use a pry bar to break it free.

- Recommend putting a jack stand under the side car to keep the sided car steady in the horizontal axis as you move it in or out along the sleeve.
2011 Gear Up - "Erika"
Yorktown, VA

Mains: 127, Idle: 40, Needle: 1 shim
MKIII air filter
70,000 km and counting

Happytrails
Party Member
Party Member

Post by Happytrails » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:36 am

Lokiboy wrote:...and terret card reader etc...
Had no idea Urals were this complicated... :)

JR - Happytrails

2018 Ural GearUp (soon)
1991 Honda Goldwing SE
Previous rides
Lots of UJMs and some fun sport bikes

Eric N
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by Eric N » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:19 pm

To kinda add to things that have already been said:

Straight is going to be dialed in for a specific speed. The sidecar has a degree of wind resistance that causes pull. I have a mix of high and low speed driving, so mine will go straight, hands off, on a level road, at 50mph. If I go faster there is a slight pull right, slower is a slight pull left. Pick your most common speed, it won't go perfectly straight at all speeds, so dial into the most common.

While the common adjustment is to the rear sidecar frame member, my front on my 2018 was out a couple inches (yes the alignment was that far off) and I ended up pulling that in more than moving the rear out. I used a ratcheting cam strap to help pull it in once I loosened everything up.

A scissor jack between the bike frame and sidecar frame makes moving the rear out easier.

Lean in will also make the bike turn right. I set mine to as close to zero lean in or out when I'm on the seat. Ural suggests lean out, which compensates for road crown, but is spooky on the one way roads I drive to work on.
2018 Gear Up
2013 Retro Solo
2001 Patrol - Sold

Lmo

Post by Lmo » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:14 pm

To build on Eric's explanation, understand how your tires affect pull (in either direction) is easier to understand if you've ever rolled a hoop as a kid. You'll remember that as the hoop roll onto one edge or the other the hoop turns in that direction.

Now think of the hoop as your tire(s)... if the bike leans in, the bike will turn to the right, if the bike leans out, the bike will turn to the left.

Now take into consideration the sidecar wheel ... ideally it should be vertical (perpendicular to the ground) so that the side wall (edge) does not cause the side car to try and turn in either direction. Now consider the combination of bike lean and sidecar wheel angle ... add throw in toe-in / toe-out (which will cause the side car to pull right/left) and you get a pretty good picture of how all these various angles affect your going down the road in a straight line.

And all of the above, as Eric notes, is applicable for only one given speed.
Hoop.jpg
here's the video clip so you can see how the hoops direction is affected by angle.

0:00 - 0:08 seconds (the rest is kind of googy)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lew Morris
Dnepr w/ '06 Ural Drive Train
C5 Power Arc
125/42 jets
Drilled slides/
.030" shims

1973 BMW R75/5 (original owner)
1947 HD FL (long gone, forever regretful)