Rode a side cart for the first time . . . interesting

Newbies, introduce yourself here. Are you thinking about getting one and have questions? Ask your basic questions here. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of The Greasy Wrench" section.
Forum rules
Here's the place for those who are newb or thinking about buying a Ural or Dnepr to introduce themselves ask those typical "newbie" questions. Try using the "Search" link at the top of the page to see if your question may have been asked before. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of the Greasy Wrench" section.
Mr Wazzock
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2018

Re: Rode a side cart for the first time . . . interesting

Post by Mr Wazzock » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:55 pm

Numbercruncher wrote: Everything went well but I have to say it takes a LOT of shoulder strength to muscle the sidecar through slow speed turns. I am sure I'll get more efficient with time but I am really surprised how much effort it takes.
That's because the bike you rode has telescopic forks. If you choose to buy a Ural with leading link forks that shouldn't happen. I don't get any aches at all, and never have, from my CT with LL forks. However ditto the outfit I first learned on also had teles, and yes did get some mild aches as a result. But none from the Ural.

In addition, the side car brake was disconnected for one reason or another.
Sure it even has one to start with?

Otherwise one reason may be 'cause most rigs don't have a sidecar brake, so you should learn what it's like to, and know how to, ride one of those. I'm guessing but seems reasonable.

HTH :D
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:59 pm

Fran wrote:When you get your rig I would suggest you find a empty parking lot and mark out a long straight line. Driving up and down that line will show you how much you can throttle steer. In the real world you will find with experience you mostly steer that way.
Image Yes.

This is how I was taught from the get-go, but had already read about it.
Mike H

windmill

Post by windmill » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:22 pm

Mr Wazzock wrote:
Numbercruncher wrote: Everything went well but I have to say it takes a LOT of shoulder strength to muscle the sidecar through slow speed turns. I am sure I'll get more efficient with time but I am really surprised how much effort it takes.
That's because the bike you rode has telescopic forks. If you choose to buy a Ural with leading link forks that shouldn't happen. I don't get any aches at all, and never have, from my CT with LL forks. However ditto the outfit I first learned on also had teles, and yes did get some mild aches as a result. But none from the Ural.
FWIW, its rake and sidecar wheel lead, not the type of fork that makes the difference. My M70 handles lighter than my Patrol, and similar to the cT.
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2007 Patrol 100k km and counting,
2018 M70

Numbercruncher
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Numbercruncher » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:54 pm

Thanks for all the feedback. Went to the DOL and received my official license, if only temporary, until the new one arrives.

NC

hotflash44

Post by hotflash44 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:54 pm

great, your in ,Enjoy the ride. :cheers:
2016 gear up asphalt grey, name Seryy Medved ,Air America CIA circa 1967/8 Vung Tau Viet Nam USS Tutuila ARG-4 (AND JUST A TOUCH OF AGENT ORANGE!)

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:04 pm

:boogie:

@ windmill, thanks.
Mike H

RC20
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by RC20 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:05 pm

Numbercruncher wrote:Thanks for all the feedback. Went to the DOL and received my official license, if only temporary, until the new one arrives. NC
Congratulations. Going off topic, I got my license on an R80GS (my girlfriend and eventfully my wifes machine) as I did not have my own at the time (I rode hers so much she "suggested" I get my onw!

Now if I had just put in for the MC license when they went to that up here no issue, I didn't need the course, I had 30k or so on cycles by then. 10 miles of heavy gravel road on one job to boot, ergh (yes I laid it down in that, slow, genteel, caught in a windrow of gravel no get tin out of upright.)

The kicker was the course was tiny, more suited to a 450 at most. And I being competitive (at the time of course) went at it with a vengeance. I not only was going to pass, I was going to dominate the course.

That worked fine though challenged in tiny quarters until the fake log test where you run at a light bar and then it flips one on and you go left or right to "avoid" the obstacle.

I am going up the gears as fast as I can and hit the decision point and BOTH lights come on! Talk about locking up the poor brain, so I went left (more natural for me for some reason) and made it.

Then I rolled back to the tester and what was that all about? You were going too fast. Why did you not tell me? I did, no you didn't.

Well I did it so I pass. No, you lit up the lights, do it again. Ok, but you know I passed. So what I could have got for free I got a story out of. As I was leaving I saw a 450 roll in and thought, now there is the right machine. Turned out to be a good acquaintance, he failed the test 5 times before he passed! My wife to be? She passed on the first go as well, not as aggressively as I did.
100k estimated cycle driving:

Formerly Owned: ( various rides on others)
Honda 90
2 x CB750K (one a true Japan Model flown to Hawaii by a P3 Orion Sub Patrol Aircraft!)
1 x CB700 SC (RC20 is the actual in house production Model)
1 x R80GS (ok to start with, learned to love it for what it was)
1 x CB450K

Mechanic/Technician/Engineer: Switchgear/ Generators/Fire Pumps/Computer Controlled Building Systems

Numbercruncher
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Numbercruncher » Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:41 pm

So I test rode a real, live, Ural yesterday in Portland and had an absolute blast on the thing. I have to say it turns way easier than the telescoping fork equipped contraption I rode at my training course to get my side car endorsement. I think it has to do with the fork tube mounting six inches behind the axle which provides a lot more leverage than if the Ural had a traditional telescoping fork. Now I am REALLY excited for mine to arrive.

NC

Edit: I don't know why the image has rotated as it is did not rotate on Facebook or in Photoshop but you can still see what I am referring to.

windmill

Post by windmill » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:25 pm

Numbercruncher wrote:
So I test rode a real, live, Ural yesterday in Portland and had an absolute blast on the thing. I have to say it turns way easier than the telescoping fork equipped contraption I rode at my training course to get my side car endorsement. I think it has to do with the fork tube mounting six inches behind the axle which provides a lot more leverage than if the Ural had a traditional telescoping fork. Now I am REALLY excited for mine to arrive.
A telescopic fork with offset triple trees can steer just as light as a leading link fork. it's their rake and trail that makes the difference. Historically most Urals were built with telescopic forks, and they handle just as well.
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2007 Patrol 100k km and counting,
2018 M70

RC20
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by RC20 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:48 pm

Advantage goes to the dedicated side car design.
100k estimated cycle driving:

Formerly Owned: ( various rides on others)
Honda 90
2 x CB750K (one a true Japan Model flown to Hawaii by a P3 Orion Sub Patrol Aircraft!)
1 x CB700 SC (RC20 is the actual in house production Model)
1 x R80GS (ok to start with, learned to love it for what it was)
1 x CB450K

Mechanic/Technician/Engineer: Switchgear/ Generators/Fire Pumps/Computer Controlled Building Systems

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:35 am

Numbercruncher wrote: So I test rode a real, live, Ural yesterday in Portland and had an absolute blast on the thing. I have to say it turns way easier than the telescoping fork equipped contraption I rode at my training course to get my side car endorsement. I think it has to do with the fork tube mounting six inches behind the axle which provides a lot more leverage than if the Ural had a traditional telescoping fork. Now I am REALLY excited for mine to arrive.

NC

Edit: I don't know why the image has rotated as it is did not rotate on Facebook or in Photoshop but you can still see what I am referring to.
:boogie:
Mike H

Numbercruncher
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Numbercruncher » Fri May 04, 2018 9:07 pm

Riding it home now will be a non issue. Can't wait for it to arrive.

NC
Last edited by Numbercruncher on Fri May 04, 2018 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Numbercruncher
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Numbercruncher » Fri May 04, 2018 9:09 pm

windmill wrote:Well done. :clap:

Your Ural will be a lot nicer, but it's still a sidecar and will spank you if you let your guard down. :old:

You feel more confident about possibly riding it home now?
No issues riding it home now. I cannot wait for it to arrive.

NC

CarlS
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by CarlS » Tue May 08, 2018 8:18 am

Congratulations, NC; well done.
Carl S
Old Soldier

Current rides: 2012 Triumph Tiger 800XC, 2003 Triumph Bonneville T100, 1968 Triumph Trophy TR6R

Past Rides: Too many to list; but of interest here - 2003 Triumph Bonneville T100 w/Velorex sidecar, 2013 HD Sportster w/Texas sidecar, 1974 Yamaha TX650, 1966 Triumph Trophy TR6R