Possible Ural cT Buyer

Newbies, introduce yourself here. Are you thinking about getting one and have questions? Ask your basic questions here. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of The Greasy Wrench" section.
Forum rules
Here's the place for those who are newb or thinking about buying a Ural or Dnepr to introduce themselves ask those typical "newbie" questions. Try using the "Search" link at the top of the page to see if your question may have been asked before. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of the Greasy Wrench" section.
RC20
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Possible Ural cT Buyer

Post by RC20 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:26 pm

Being a mechanic type, my first question has been, are the fasteners on the Ural's metric standard?

How does a post 2015 Ural compare gear box wise to my rides of the past (Honda, CB750 of 70s era, Honda Nighthawk S of the 80s and the R80-GS?)

As for me and my thoughts.

Back 10 years ago I blew a disk in my back and the cycle riding came to a close. I was a sports touring type and took my camping gear - so the side car lends itself to that better than the cycles did. Multi day trips and upwards of 80 lbs.

Fast forward, I am looking to retire in a couple of years and never lost the missing of the cycling.

Side car seems a good choice, always was interested in the Ural, they seem to be updated significantly. I can deal with routine maint but pulling an engine and a trany would be out of my back tolerance.

I had a chance to run a side car 25 years back, not a problem. Not a two wheel cycle but the dynamics were easy to adjust to (for me, I have run a lot of machinery and while not an instant pro, running it, adjusting to the differences was never an issue).

Plan is to pick one up probably in Bellingham unless a used one came up in the Seattle/Western w@$#ing area.

I have some places I want to see down there down into Oregon. Then up to Prince Report, on the Ferry up to Skagway and on to Anchorage AK. My cycle trips tended to long distance and multi day, made the Anchorage to Skagway trip and back twice.
100k estimated cycle driving:

Formerly Owned: ( various rides on others)
Honda 90
2 x CB750K (one a true Japan Model flown to Hawaii by a P3 Orion Sub Patrol Aircraft!)
1 x CB700 SC (RC20 is the actual in house production Model)
1 x R80GS (ok to start with, learned to love it for what it was)
1 x CB450K

Mechanic/Technician/Engineer: Switchgear/ Generators/Fire Pumps/Computer Controlled Building Systems

rivers
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2018

Re: Possible Ural cT Buyer

Post by rivers » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:55 pm

99.9% metric. There are a few SAE fasteners but not many. You might add a couple SAE allen wrenches to your tool kit. Comparing a Honda or any Jap gearbox to a Ural box is a day/night difference. More similar to old Harley gearboxes where if shifted correctly you get a nice solid clunk. None of the Jap snick, snick, snick gear changes. Get used to the heel-toe shifter and shifting won't be an issue with the later Ural boxes.
Joe
014 GU
"I'm lost but I'm making good time."

RC20
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by RC20 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:09 pm

Thank you. I have the wrench world covered, 40 years of buying for myself and work and I will have far too many when I retire.

The Pacific NW seems the ideal place to do a break in run on a new one.

Honda 90
2 x CB750K (one a true Japan Model flown to Hawaii by a P3 Orion Sub Patrol Aircraft!)
1 x CB450K

Mechanic/Technician/Engineer: Switchgear/ Generators/Fire Pumps/Computer Controlled Building Systems

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:46 pm

RC20 wrote: How does a post 2015 Ural compare gear box wise to my rides of the past (Honda, CB750 of 70s era, Honda Nighthawk S of the 80s and the R80-GS?)

It does a passing resemblence to what was on my 1976 Moto Guzzi 850, or come to that the 1979 Spada, as they're the same, and which were usually described by the biking press as "Agricultural".

No actually to be fair, it's better than that. :)

rivers wrote:99.9% metric. There are a few SAE fasteners but not many. You might add a couple SAE allen wrenches to your tool kit.
Mainly, off the top of my head, the rear brake caliper (Spyder brake) fasteners are non-metric. The big Allen bolts need a 3/8" key I think it is. 10mm won't fit (despite looking like it will).

HTH

:D
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta

Waffl6
Party Member
Party Member

Post by Waffl6 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:13 pm

Lots of things get posted here in the Black Market. Keep an eye on it if you have a little while to wait. I post anything I find interesting...that being said, everyone here recommends using SearchTempest.com to look at all of Craigslist at once. I personally scan the entire country daily.

It doesn't catch everything though, at least not immediately. It will however let you broaden your options and see what's out there. Unfortunately though it doesn't do a very good job of removing expired posts, so I rarely ever go back through pages and only look at new listings.

There is a VERY nice 2010 Gear up being sold by a user here. $6500, literally everything that could ever go wrong has been fixed. I highly recommend you go check it out if you're willing to go to the Bay area, or ship it. https://www.sovietsteeds.com/forums/vie ... =4&t=51275
Probably the youngest guy in the room.

Current bikes: 1987 Rebel 250, 1990 Ninja 500, 2009 Honda Shadow 750

Past bikes: 1994 Katana 600

Fairfax Virginia

RC20
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by RC20 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:03 pm

While all my other cycles were used, in this case, while money is an object its not the driving one.

This is about a year to 1.5 years off depending on how things go. Its not going to be a fat retirement, but between some major cost reductions in outgoing and actually wind up more monthly income than working, its quite doable to buy a new machine. Used ok, but it would need good credentials so will see how its looking as the time comes up on it.

My mom lives in Bellingham so its an ideal place to stage out of. With a good dealer network and running all over Washington State and Oregon (probably about 6 weeks) it would get a full fledged test and access to a good dealer if anything seriously went wrong with it.

I have worked electro mechanic for 35 years, so along with the tools, I have the meters and electrical is no mystery to me. I had a kit build up when I was cycling that had wire, terminations, cutters, crimp tool so I could splice and patch (not much help out in the wilds of AK)

The Pacific N.W. has great non freeway roads as over the years I have been pretty well all over the area. Not as much in Oregon but its pretty much the same.

After that it might come back to Alaska or I have a couple of places in the N.W. I can store it under cover. Hate to see things sit though. I did store my cycles up here and never had issues (other than the O rings drying out on the carb transfer tubes and leaking for a while!)

I could even bring it up and then take it back. I always wanted to do the trip up through Central Washington into Canada again. Prince Rupert is a great ride as well. Skagway to Anchorage via a couple possible routes is a grand trips.

Honda 90
1 x CB450K

RC20
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by RC20 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:18 pm

Another question - tube type on the Urals now or tubeless?

Some hand artistic and fighting a tire would be no fun. Tubeless I have used the plug kits for years on vehicle. They say not to leave them in (grin). I rand one 30k and it wore out.

Honda 90
1 x CB450K

RC20
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by RC20 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:20 pm

And does anyone make a lock setup and Kevlar or some such for a Toneau cover?

Dang, now I want to retire now and get going, sigh.

Honda 90
1 x CB450K

siberman1

Post by siberman1 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:34 pm

RC20 wrote:Another question - tube type on the Urals now or tubeless?

Some hand artistic and fighting a tire would be no fun. Tubeless I have used the plug kits for years on vehicle. They say not to leave them in (grin). I rand one 30k and it wore out.
Tubeless?? Are you kidding? No offense meant... :lol:

All tube tires for Ural. It took over 40 years from when fuel injection came out to get EFI on Urals. Tubeless may be another 40 years... :)
RC20 wrote:And does anyone make a lock setup and Kevlar or some such for a Toneau cover?

Kevlar? What is that? Does it grow somewhere? Not in Irbit. Not in Russia Siber!

Locks? No, doan need it. Ural uses confusion and mystery for security.
Leave the bike in Reverse and no one will be able to figure out how to start it..and it's too damn heavy and awkward to haul away easily! :lol:

YMMV
Sent from my laptop using OEM fingers, ordinary Mouse, and LCD-screen
2014 полынь зеленый гU
Сибирь Экспресс #2

Zero payments

windmill

Post by windmill » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:48 pm

siberman1 wrote: Locks? No, doan need it. Ural uses confusion and mystery for security.
Leave the bike in Reverse and no one will be able to figure out how to start it..and it's too damn heavy and awkward to haul away easily! :lol:
I remember reading somewhere that sidecar thefts are a fraction of 1% of motorcycle thefts per % registered.
Too hard to steal, no demand, too easy to spot and identify.
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2007 Patrol 100k km and counting,
2018 M70

rivers

Post by rivers » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:27 am

RC20 wrote:And does anyone make a lock setup and Kevlar or some such for a Toneau cover?

Don't know if it's still offered cause it wasn't a big seller but Raceways Ural in OR used to sell a custom fiberglass hardtop cover for the tub. Kinda like the flat fglass covers made for pickup beds. Might give Robbie at Raceways a call.
Joe
014 GU
"I'm lost but I'm making good time."

wooden nickel

Post by wooden nickel » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:51 pm

I would think any good sheet metal place could fab one.
I may not be good, but I'm slow.
Nick
2014 M70 Retros, the sports car of Urals.

RC20
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by RC20 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:08 pm

Ahh, not worried about theft of the machine so much as theft of contents in the side car. Not that machine theft is not off the radar entirely, but I can come up with ways to disable things that no one would ever find. My pickup truck has a window interlock that you have to push the open window button to get it to run.

I had it in for emissions checks one time, saw 5 mechanic go out and ???? ooopps, they had not even got off first base though they were not expecting what I had done (the Inertia switch was a natural disabler already in place) . A relay and a latching circuit and walla.

I do like the leave it in reverse. Fits in with the first two years of WWII as well!

When I was cycle camping I carried about 80 lbs of gear. Tent, sleeping bag, rain gear, rubber boots, tools it all added up. The car is the perfect place to stash that, more value stuff in the trunk of course.

Idea on the Toneou is to stop casual rip off, none of it would anyone really want. Wilds of Alaska not an issue but the places in WA I plan on going possibly.

Honda 90
1 x CB450K

windmill

Post by windmill » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:35 pm

RC20 wrote:
Idea on the Toneou is to stop casual rip off, none of it would anyone really want. Wilds of Alaska not an issue but the places in WA I plan on going possibly.
In over a decade of daily riding in the Seattle metropolitan area, I've never seen any evidence of someone tampering with the cover, or had anything stolen.
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2007 Patrol 100k km and counting,
2018 M70

RC20
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by RC20 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:35 pm

Good to know. Hawaii where I spent a bit of time they had it down to a science to break-ing into a car, cleaning it out and gone in seconds.

CA I carried a logging chain (latter a plastic covered one). Thieves went around in Vans with cutters, again seconds. Chain would not stop them but slow them down.

I cam across a comment on optional gearing. What is the standard gearing? Low or high?

Mine is going to be all road, so a road gear is preferred. I plan on back roads but I know at times a freeway is forced or just a better choice for a while.

Having done an R80GS I am familiar with the power. The Ural looks to have less hp but the same Torque. I never knew what the R80GS could do until I loaded it down. Then I found out the flat torque just kept going along with speed. Fun times. It was my wifes before we got married, she gave up riding so I ran it for a lot of years.

Honda 90
1 x CB450K