California Emissions Sticker

Newbies, introduce yourself here. Are you thinking about getting one and have questions? Ask your basic questions here. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of The Greasy Wrench" section.
Forum rules
Here's the place for those who are newb or thinking about buying a Ural or Dnepr to introduce themselves ask those typical "newbie" questions. Try using the "Search" link at the top of the page to see if your question may have been asked before. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of the Greasy Wrench" section.
Lmo
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2018

Re: California Emissions Sticker

Post by Lmo » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:03 pm

the DMV did’t even want to look at it, as they already had the VIN number in their DMV Records.
That's what I would have thought as well. Try another DMV office, you would think the response would be the same, but in my experience, the one office doesn't seem to know what any other office is doing.
Lew Morris
Dnepr w/ '06 Ural Drive Train
C5 Power Arc
125/42 jets
Drilled slides/
.030" shims

1973 BMW R75/5 (original owner)
1947 HD FL (long gone, forever regretful)

El queso
Comrade
Comrade

Post by El queso » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:41 pm

Kaliram wrote:
sysmgr2 wrote:Just my 2-cents, but if the bike was originally sold in CA, you should just proceed to getting it registered. I've never had an issue where DMV wanted to see a sticker on a CA bike, no matter where I purchased it. it should already be in the database.
I concur..... I live in CA and bought an out-of-State bike that had originally been registered in CA, and the DMV did’t even want to look at it, as they already had the VIN number in their DMV Records.
Before the purchase I spoke with the DMV and they basically said "no issue - don't worry about it" but when a went to the Auto Club to register it, they said it needed the CARB sticker. AAA was a little confused on the whole process, so it may not be as much of an issue as I originally thought.
2013 Patrol + a bunch of other bikes

isldtime

Post by isldtime » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:38 am

I only used AAA for renewals when I lived in Ca. because they followed the book to the letter. DMV was easier to deal with but the lines are longer.
2002 Tourist
2013 Husky TR650 Strada

Lmo

Post by Lmo » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:42 pm

My wife has worked for the Automobile Club of Southern California for 36 years. They just do paperwork, and they are "over worked" with DMV work because people think it's quicker/easier. Take it to a DMV office, preferably one located in a rural part your area. If it has been registered here, I can't imagine it NOT being in the computer unless it's been ten years or more.
Lew Morris
Dnepr w/ '06 Ural Drive Train
C5 Power Arc
125/42 jets
Drilled slides/
.030" shims

1973 BMW R75/5 (original owner)
1947 HD FL (long gone, forever regretful)