Hi All

Newbies, introduce yourself here. Are you thinking about getting one and have questions? Ask your basic questions here. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of The Greasy Wrench" section.
Forum rules
Here's the place for those who are newb or thinking about buying a Ural or Dnepr to introduce themselves ask those typical "newbie" questions. Try using the "Search" link at the top of the page to see if your question may have been asked before. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of the Greasy Wrench" section.
ringel05

Re: Hi All

Post by ringel05 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:38 pm

rivers wrote:Ringel, I agree I like the looks of the m70 over the CT but from reading your posts I think you're a bit overly concerned about "handling characteristics". I too have heard the m70's and CT's handle better but...that does NOT mean the others handle bad or hard to pilot. There IS a learning curve that one model over the other won't short cut, nor will war games reenactment experience. With your familiarity you may have an edge up on a never ridden rider but not enough to think you safely know what you're doing out on the street and in traffic. Nobody shortcuts the initial learning curve...takes saddle time. Point being they all handle good for a sidecar outfit with one model better than the other is very subject. Since you're buying new your best insurance for handling and maint happiness is buy the one you like from a proven reputable dealer that knows how to set them up right fresh out of the crate. Point being buy what you like and can afford from a good dealer. It's all good. :)
:thumbsup:

ringel05

Post by ringel05 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:51 pm

Mostly I just like the retro look and that's what had me looking for R71 copies in the first place. Also I know there's going to be a learning curve, there is with anything new so to me that's a given. I would like it in Ordnance Tan but since it's not available Sahara Tan (more a DAK color) will work also.

El queso
Comrade
Comrade

Post by El queso » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:38 pm

I just picked up a 2013 Patrol T last weekend, and for me at least all the talk of sketchy handling seems a bit overblown. I put a 90 pound sack of concrete in the tub and then headed out around town. Yes the bike moves around a bit and shakes a on occasion but it also seems quite stable and very natural after 15-20 minutes. I think the best quote I've heard is something like, "don't think of it as riding a motorcycle, think of it as driving a tractor."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2013 Patrol + a bunch of other bikes

Wildhorse Cafe
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2018
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2018

Post by Wildhorse Cafe » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:49 pm

Unless you are planing to do mud and snow, 2wd is superfluous. I've had mine for three years and have never needed to use it. But I wanted it really badly. My tourist is a much more practical machine and works off road almost as well as my patrol. :foilhead: Bike handling is a matter of easy on the throttle up or down.
2011 Patrol Higgs Bison Super Collider formally known as the Orange and Silver Pumpkin Coach
2006 Shinny Black, Tourist, Tatyanna

When you set out on your journey to Ithaca
pray the road is long , full of adventure, full of knowledge
not expecting that Ithaca will offer you riches
Ithaca has given you the beautiful voyage

C.P. Cavafy

Bacon Andy
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by Bacon Andy » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:30 pm

Yep,research and buy what you want. I've bombed mine around Lake Michigan. Stopped in Wisconsin to 2 track. At 60-65 mph on hwy it's not scary. Other people are scary. I want to add a retro to my stable too.
80ish Kawa 650 LTD gone
76 Guzzi 850T-3 needs to go, parts bike
2004 Night Train, fast
2013 GU, loaded.
WTH? I've never had an original idea!

ringel05

Post by ringel05 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:01 pm

Thanks everyone for all your input, as expected lots of different opinions but all were helpful. Any one of the Ural models would work but ultimately it comes down to personal preference. Part of me wishes the M70 had two wheel drive but that's secondary to what I was looking for as the M70 fits the greatest number of preferences in what I was looking for. Now comes the getting the finances together, sell the cats, sell the truck, sell the wife........ :P

ringel05

Post by ringel05 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:07 pm

While we have what appears to be a top rated service center here in Albuquerque the closet dealer is Hymark Motorsports in Pueblo West, CO. Maybe I should find some investors and start up my own Ural dealership in Albuquerque.......... 8)