Hi All

Newbies, introduce yourself here. Are you thinking about getting one and have questions? Ask your basic questions here. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of The Greasy Wrench" section.
Forum rules
Here's the place for those who are newb or thinking about buying a Ural or Dnepr to introduce themselves ask those typical "newbie" questions. Try using the "Search" link at the top of the page to see if your question may have been asked before. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of the Greasy Wrench" section.
ringel05

Hi All

Post by ringel05 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:51 pm

New to the forum, just recently became interested in Urals and doing some research before I take the plunge and buy one which I plan to do hopefully within the next year. I live in New Mexico and being 63 years old now don't envision myself climbing mountain sides on the bike hence I'm considering getting a 2017 or 2018 cT that I can add to since the vast majority of my riding will be hard surface and gravel/hard dirt roads and I really don't think I have a need for two wheel drive. That said I basically want to fit it out kinda like a cross between a Patrol and a Gear Up adding the additional items myself over a period of a year and wondering if that's really that cost effective or not. I like the cT because it's supposedly easier to handle on hard surface and lower to the ground (like me).

Eric N
Comrade General
Comrade General

Re: Hi All

Post by Eric N » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:39 am

Hi ringel05, Welcome!

I'm in Denver and several members are in New Mexico.

If you haven't driven a sidecar rig before, I would strongly encourage you to consider a used bike. Some people really love sidecar's, other's not so much. They don't handle like a normal motorcycle, and that can be a good and not so good thing.

If you're not wanting 2WD, I'd suggest looking at some of the comments on torque's thread asking about trading his older Ural for a newer cT.
http://www.sovietsteeds.com/forums/view ... 12&t=50010

Me, I've found the 2WD is handy on washboard roads, not for traction but just to keep the bike going straight. I'd also feel much more comfortable riding to Chaco Canyon or similar with the 2WD, even though the road is normally ok for a 1WD bike.
2018 Gear Up
2013 Retro Solo
2001 Patrol - Sold

ringel05

Post by ringel05 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:49 am

Eric N wrote:Hi ringel05, Welcome!

I'm in Denver and several members are in New Mexico.

If you haven't driven a sidecar rig before, I would strongly encourage you to consider a used bike. Some people really love sidecar's, other's not so much. They don't handle like a normal motorcycle, and that can be a good and not so good thing.

If you're not wanting 2WD, I'd suggest looking at some of the comments on torque's thread asking about trading his older Ural for a newer cT.
http://www.sovietsteeds.com/forums/view ... 12&t=50010

Me, I've found the 2WD is handy on washboard roads, not for traction but just to keep the bike going straight. I'd also feel much more comfortable riding to Chaco Canyon or similar with the 2WD, even though the road is normally ok for a 1WD bike.
Thanks for the welcome. I've driven sidecars a few times, WWII reenacting back east and have no problem with em as I know what to expect. Matter of fact it was reenacting that started me looking at sidecar bikes, first the Chinese version then ultimately the Ural. Now I don't intend on trying to make it into a WWII R71 copy so that's not an issue though it might be kinda cool to do that later. I have (and still do) consider used bikes, maybe a used Patrol, I like those and the Gear Ups. Yeah I've considered a 2 wheel version "just in case" and your info on handling on washboard roads just might be the kicker.

chaos2
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by chaos2 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:31 am

if you buy used finding a nice bike is probably more important than 1 or 2 wd. Either way has it's charms.
past afflictions include limey motocars and bikes, R60/2 & a R65ls, and a Citroen.
Now a 2012 rusty GU and a 87 K75s with 200k miles both bought new
dual K&N cones on homemade intake, 40/137.5
Raceway needles
Modtop exhaust
$29 VW Hydraulic steering dampener

VWK75S
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2018

Post by VWK75S » Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:51 am

Welcome ringel05.
Based on the type of riding you plan on doing I'd stick with 1wd CT or Retro.
The rest is just paint and do-dads.
:cheers: John
The Ural's made Maine a much bigger state.

2009 GearUp 140,000kms
2007 Retro 20,000kms
1991 VWK75S 110,000miles

hotflash44

Post by hotflash44 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:47 am

ringel05 ,first off welcome to the forum,as to advice you will have plenty im sure, mine so far is to agree with chaos2 if going used you have the added burden of trying to get a good Ural at the proper price. i wouldn't restrict your hunt to just 1WD take what you can fine as long as its in good condition, if you go the new route then no worry. i have a 2016 GU i bought new about 11 months ago and i never have used the 2WD. its kind of like a Jeep if you need it its there, kind of cool when experiencing the UDF also. anyway have fun looking and good luck. :cheers: P.S. might toss this in as your looking at used, seems the conciseness in the forum as i understand is 2007 and newer is nice, as that's the Ural improvement period,better stuff in critical areas.
2016 gear up asphalt grey, name Seryy Medved ,Air America CIA circa 1967/8 Vung Tau Viet Nam USS Tutuila ARG-4 (AND JUST A TOUCH OF AGENT ORANGE!)

gobium
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by gobium » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:30 am

Go with cT as your first ural

harryball

Post by harryball » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:27 am

Any of them will do, the cT is nice but does still have the same front end as the Patrol/Gear up. Nothing wrong with that, but try to find a Retro / M70 with standard forks and give it a try. If you stay on the pavement the most, they are the better highway bikes. You may find you like it much better.
---
2017 - cT - "Georgia" My wife's rig.
2017 - M70/Retro, Sigmund. My rig.
Robert
http://HabitatForBats.org - Give a bat a home!

Albuquralque
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by Albuquralque » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:21 am

Welcom to the insanity! cT would be a great bike to get. I will caution you on one thing though. If you plan at all riding in the sand, then you will want to seriously consider a 2wd.

Where in NM?
"Put a little gravel in your travel"

Darrell - Albuquralque
2014 Patrol - Babe the Blue Ox
EFI Map OR 1.02
Throttle Body Vacuum Ports
K&N Air Filter
Raceway 2-into-1 Header (Right Side)
Previous Urals Owned: 2004 Wolf, 2006 Tourist, 2006 Patrol (TOW), 2006 Patrol (TOM)

David Z

Post by David Z » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:36 am

When I did what you're doing a year and a half ago. I decided to spend the little extra for the 2WD. While I never really have the need for it, except when I want to do a blast through the mud. In my opinion, it always better to have and not need, than need and not have.
Also, it's always nice to ride when those with other bikes are scared to.
2016 Patrol "Russian Collusion "

rivers

Post by rivers » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:40 am

For your intended use, the CT sounds like a good choice. Farkle it as needs develop.
Joe
014 GU
"I'm lost but I'm making good time."

siberman1

Post by siberman1 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:21 pm

While the cT sounds nice, it appears that 2WD are more popular, or at least more plentiful. Going for a used Ural there will be more 2WD rigs from which to choose. The 18" wheels of cT are fine. There may be more "deals" on 19" tires and selections. It is something to think about.

YMMV
Sent from my laptop using OEM fingers, ordinary Mouse, and LCD-screen
2014 полынь зеленый гU
Сибирь Экспресс #2

Zero payments

siberman1

Post by siberman1 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:45 pm

Here is a thread for a 2014 Patrol for sale.

http://www.sovietsteeds.com/forums/view ... =4&t=50187
"'I'm asking $8,700.00.

For full disclosure on the bike, go to viewtopic.php?f=10&t=40679
Hopefully I've sorted through any problems this bike will ever have and it will give some lucky rider years of fun."

-----
Now wasn't that convenient??

YMMV
Sent from my laptop using OEM fingers, ordinary Mouse, and LCD-screen
2014 полынь зеленый гU
Сибирь Экспресс #2

Zero payments

ringel05

Post by ringel05 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:29 pm

After tossing it back and forth in my mind I've decided to start saving my pennies and get the M70. Yeah the 2 wheel drive might come in handy on occasion but the vast majority of my riding will be hard surface and according to everything I've read the M70 has the better road handling characteristics besides, I love the retro look.

rivers

Post by rivers » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:01 pm

Ringel, I agree I like the looks of the m70 over the CT but from reading your posts I think you're a bit overly concerned about "handling characteristics". I too have heard the m70's and CT's handle better but...that does NOT mean the others handle bad or hard to pilot. There IS a learning curve that one model over the other won't short cut, nor will war games reenactment experience. With your familiarity you may have an edge up on a never ridden rider but not enough to think you safely know what you're doing out on the street and in traffic. Nobody shortcuts the initial learning curve...takes saddle time. Point being they all handle good for a sidecar outfit with one model better than the other is very subject. Since you're buying new your best insurance for handling and maint happiness is buy the one you like from a proven reputable dealer that knows how to set them up right fresh out of the crate. Point being buy what you like and can afford from a good dealer. It's all good. :)
Joe
014 GU
"I'm lost but I'm making good time."