Newbie in AZ thinking about buying

Newbies, introduce yourself here. Are you thinking about getting one and have questions? Ask your basic questions here. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of The Greasy Wrench" section.
Forum rules
Here's the place for those who are newb or thinking about buying a Ural or Dnepr to introduce themselves ask those typical "newbie" questions. Try using the "Search" link at the top of the page to see if your question may have been asked before. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of the Greasy Wrench" section.
rivers
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2018

Re: Newbie in AZ thinking about buying

Post by rivers » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:56 pm

Beastmaster, I have a couple concerns. Big one is what's your intended use? Since you're in the SE where rock crawling, serious off roading is a big thing. Are you one of those folks? If so I think you'll be disappointed if you're intention is to play with your 4x4 buddies. These are great utility rigs that do dirt crap off pavement roads pretty well but they are not Jeeps especially if you have to climb a steep grade. They just don't have the gearing or the HP(40?) for serious dirt work. They don't even have the poop for steep pavement grades. You can compensate some by getting a good run at it but on a rocky old mining road that opens up more possible grief scenarios (damage). For normal dirt roads a Ural is great fun capable but anything pretty steep and you'll have to flog it and pay the price (maintenance/repairs). Just something to consider if you're one of the off road types. note: though loosely interchanged "off pavement" is not" off road". For a brand new hack pilot and a new M-70 OTD prolly crowding 20 grand, I would start with a used Ural and see if it meets your intended use needs before carrying a big note on something you "hope" will work well for you. If it turns out it's love at first bite you can always upgrade to a new one. Sorry for the negative reply. Just trying to put things in perspective regarding the big buy-in cost for new.
Good luck with your decision.
Joe
014 GU
"I'm lost but I'm making good time."

Beastmaster

Post by Beastmaster » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:49 pm

Thanks for the input Rivers and that's some great info but I'm already set for the rock crawling and serious off-roading. I have a very built and lifted 4-door Jeep that satisfies any hard core craving I should have. I figure 95% of my riding will be on paved roads and what off-road trips I take will likely just be dirt roads. I think that 1WD would satisfy most of my needs but might get something with 2WD to have just in case. Its kind of like my Jeep when deciding to install a winch or locking differentials: "Its better to have it and not need it than to need in and not have it".

I've been checking out my local Craigslist but right now, nothing with 100 miles.
>>>The smartest man knows what he doesn't know.<<<
2018 M70 (Natasha) in Beautiful Southern Arizona (Tucson)

rivers

Post by rivers » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:00 pm

I agree for your intended use a 1WD will be just fine. Finding a good mech condition used one for sale within a 100 miles is going to take some luck and time. Most of us don't even have a dealer within 100 miles. My first one was via a 1500 mile fly-n-ride to Reno. If you can expand your horizon I would check out Tony's 013 in the black market section of the forum. Good year, good price. It's near Seattle.
Joe
014 GU
"I'm lost but I'm making good time."

TheWildOne
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by TheWildOne » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:10 pm

My buddies and I used to take the same ride - along the D-M fence on Golf Links Rd. Never
saw any golfing going on, but sure got an education on WW II military aircraft. ALL kinds
of planes - rows and rows of Mustangs and such.
And I have the same memories of B-36s. They sometimes took off (about 2 miles away) and
flew right over our elementary school.
One time, I was out on the playground and saw one about 1,000-1,500 feet up. Those six
piston engines and the four J47 jet engines made a sound unlike any other airplane. I was
so awe-struck I laid down on my back in the middle of the recess field and just took it in -
the sight, the vibration, the sound.
Unforgettable. :!: :shock:

flexydude
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by flexydude » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:47 am

Beastmaster wrote:
flexydude wrote:what dealer are you buying from? I have only seen a couple urals here in tucson, one guy works at the pima air museum i bought mine from mark in prescott.
Not sure where to buy but all the dealers in the state are in the Phoenix area. The closest in in Mesa but if I can get a better deal from another, I'm willing to listen.

I'm friends with John and he just retired from the Air Museum in fact he's the reason I'm considering buying one. Just spent Saturday with him at the Cops and Rodders car show.
i met john last year in passing, haven't done any rides together. I would stay away from the phoenix dealers, i had a bad experience there. I would call mark tetreau in prescott at scooter and auto source. Tell him jim sent you
2013 gear up
2014 zero ds
2016 klr 650

2013 suzuki gw 250
2007 drz 400
2014 yamaha xt 250

Beastmaster

Post by Beastmaster » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:12 am

Thanks, that's good info Jim :thumbsup:

flexydude
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by flexydude » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:08 pm

mark will take care of any warranty issues without question. have you ridden one yet? you can try mine out. I live in vail.
2013 gear up
2014 zero ds
2016 klr 650

2013 suzuki gw 250
2007 drz 400
2014 yamaha xt 250

stagewex

Post by stagewex » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:09 pm

I was at Pima and DM this past Summer. Didn't see a JU88 at Pima or that matter, many WWII planes. But between it and The Boneyard there certainly was a lot to see. Must have been a cool place to grow-up around.
Stagewex

2007 Ural Patrol, 2006 Yamaha TW200, 1995 BMW K75, 1991 Honda XR250L, 1969 BMW r60/2 US model

hotflash44

Post by hotflash44 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:16 pm

stagewex.oh yeah you missed the time warp when the JU-88 was there was about 1955, along side of the B-29 Enola Gay the plane that dropped the big one on Japan, probably all went to east coast air museum. i think the JU-88 which looked new, beautiful plexiglass all over the nose as i remember. Believe it was a plane that a eastern European defector flew to a base in the Mediterranean sea Cyprus/Malta . 8) :cheers:
2016 gear up asphalt grey, name Seryy Medved ,Air America CIA circa 1967/8 Vung Tau Viet Nam USS Tutuila ARG-4 (AND JUST A TOUCH OF AGENT ORANGE!)

stagewex

Post by stagewex » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:10 pm

Cool. Between Pima and AMARG & the Boneyard I spent over 5 hours browsing just the tip of the iceberg. As most was outside I did and saw as much as I could in the 110 degree Sun. My daughter is going to ASU up in Tempe so I plan to go back again and also maybe that Titan Missle Silo not far away.

I saw the Enola Gay a few years ago in its present and I assume permanent home at the National Air & Space Museums Udvar-Hazy Center.
Pretty incredible to see and comprehend how that planes payload changed the world forever.
Stagewex

2007 Ural Patrol, 2006 Yamaha TW200, 1995 BMW K75, 1991 Honda XR250L, 1969 BMW r60/2 US model

hotflash44

Post by hotflash44 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:08 pm

stagewex ,seems like im a old store house of Tucson memories, in 1964 i lived across the street from one of the Titan 2 missile silos. i lived for a while on a cattle ranch and i could see a slight dome and a chain link fence and a radio antenna, some times there was a blue air force pickup parked near by, very unassuming. Tucson had 18 such silos surrounding the city. In Tucson as a kid i remember at 1pm on Saturday the air raid sirens going off. used to think if the Russians would attack Saturday at 1pm would be perfect as we didn't pay any attention. something like a neighbors car alarm. :cheers: p.s. wasent this post about someone thinking about buying some kind of motorcycle?
2016 gear up asphalt grey, name Seryy Medved ,Air America CIA circa 1967/8 Vung Tau Viet Nam USS Tutuila ARG-4 (AND JUST A TOUCH OF AGENT ORANGE!)

sixtysix
Comrade
Comrade

Post by sixtysix » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:36 pm

There's a nice looking CT, on Phoenix Craigslist right now.
Mesa AZ
2015 Ural CT
2014 Royal Enfield Continental GT

Beastmaster

Post by Beastmaster » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:08 pm

flexydude wrote:mark will take care of any warranty issues without question. have you ridden one yet? you can try mine out. I live in vail.
Thanks for the offer, I'll let you know.

Beastmaster

Post by Beastmaster » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:09 pm

sixtysix wrote:There's a nice looking CT, on Phoenix Craigslist right now.
I think I saw that and there's a really good one in Payson too.

Beastmaster

Post by Beastmaster » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:00 pm

I posted this on Facebook and thought I'd share it here too.

Took a road trip to Prescott the other day so I stopped in at Scooter & Auto Source. Mark was quite the salesman, he even enlisted my wife and grandson.
SS1.jpg
The Grandson had a great time
SS2.jpg

They both loved the test ride despite the look on my wife's face.
She knew I'd be taking pics and she played up for the camera.
SS3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.