Newbie in AZ thinking about buying

Newbies, introduce yourself here. Are you thinking about getting one and have questions? Ask your basic questions here. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of The Greasy Wrench" section.
Forum rules
Here's the place for those who are newb or thinking about buying a Ural or Dnepr to introduce themselves ask those typical "newbie" questions. Try using the "Search" link at the top of the page to see if your question may have been asked before. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of the Greasy Wrench" section.
Beastmaster
Party Member
Party Member

Newbie in AZ thinking about buying

Post by Beastmaster » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:09 pm

Hi guys, thought I'd stop by and introduce myself.

Like the title says, I'm in southern Arizona and new to the forum. I haven't owned a bike for several years but thinking of getting back into it with a Ural (leaning toward and M-70). Looking forward to reading the great posts and picking everyone's brains for info I'm not able to find. :cheers:
>>>The smartest man knows what he doesn't know.<<<
2018 M70 (Natasha) in Beautiful Southern Arizona (Tucson)

hotflash44
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Re: Newbie in AZ thinking about buying

Post by hotflash44 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:37 pm

hopefully not a premature welcome, happy to hear you are considering a side car rig. Southern Arizona i consider Tucson my home town, left there in 1972. Anyway keep the forum advised as to your progress. :cheers:
2016 gear up asphalt grey, name Seryy Medved ,Air America CIA circa 1967/8 Vung Tau Viet Nam USS Tutuila ARG-4 (AND JUST A TOUCH OF AGENT ORANGE!)

tx2sturgis
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by tx2sturgis » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:21 pm

Good timing!

Right about now, Mr Cob is in Northern Arizona on his Nor-Wet tour...

You might want to follow that thread and post there if you think you could get away to go look at a couple of Urals and ask some questions....
Last edited by tx2sturgis on Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rural Ural in Tulia Texas!

Current Ural: 2013 Ural Solo sT

Previous Ural: 2013 Ural Patrol

Beastmaster
Party Member
Party Member

Post by Beastmaster » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:56 pm

Thanks for the welcome guys and yes, I'm in Tucson.

I'll be sure to check out Mr. Cob's progress,

TheWildOne
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by TheWildOne » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:52 pm

Just curious - what part of Tucson ?
( I'm from the B'way & Swan area - Rincon class of '63 - still have a nephew & niece in town )
'07 Ural Tourist
'08 "Volare" scooter/sidecar from Holopaw
+ about 15 2-wheelers from '59 to '86

hotflash44
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by hotflash44 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:05 pm

TheWildOne, i attended Rincon H.S. in 1960 then had to transfer to Catalina H.S.remember many good times as a kid growing up in Tucson. KTKT color channel 99 top 40 radio, Frank Kalil was the top disc jockey then,speedway blvd ,Johnnies drive-in on a Friday night. i was a hard working Barber then and spent all my money on cars, Corvettes, 1940 ford, triumph TR6,etc, oh! those were the days. :cheers:
2016 gear up asphalt grey, name Seryy Medved ,Air America CIA circa 1967/8 Vung Tau Viet Nam USS Tutuila ARG-4 (AND JUST A TOUCH OF AGENT ORANGE!)

TheWildOne
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by TheWildOne » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:06 pm

Ah yes - "Kay Tee Kay Tee... channel ninety-nine".
My brother-in-law, Lee Barker, was a barber on the east side around that time. And my sister's
then-boy-friend, Jake Brown, kept winning KTKT's scavenger hunt so often that they finally said
'Anybody can enter and win our contest as long as his name isn't Jake Brown".
Sorry. Memories.
Bet you still have Kahlil's theme song in the back of your mind. And Johnnies on a Friday night, ya
dang "Crusader". Wonder if you went there when Linda Ronstadt went there . . .
'07 Ural Tourist
'08 "Volare" scooter/sidecar from Holopaw
+ about 15 2-wheelers from '59 to '86

hotflash44
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by hotflash44 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:12 am

Dont remember Linda Ronstadt at Catalina, but heard she went to a new H.S. Amphitheater,(amphi for short) on the north west side. I remember Frank Kahlil's sign off something like this (remember that the bad music a man blows wails long after he has cut out,so sing sweet). wrack your memory banks im sure we could go on forever, probably should PM with further, not to bore the other guys! :cheers: p.s. one hump or two !

flexydude
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by flexydude » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:53 pm

what dealer are you buying from? I have only seen a couple urals here in tucson, one guy works at the pima air museum i bought mine from mark in prescott.
2013 gear up
2014 zero ds
2016 klr 650

2013 suzuki gw 250
2007 drz 400
2014 yamaha xt 250

hotflash44
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by hotflash44 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:33 pm

Beastmaster,while considering where to purchase a Ural, i got mine from Proshop motorsports in Henderson Nevada, good dealer they are offering discounts as i understand. really not that far from Tucson about 175 miles from Prescott Az. Could fly to Henderson airport and drive your new Ural home sounds like a real fun adventure, just sayin! :cheers:

Beastmaster
Party Member
Party Member

Post by Beastmaster » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:08 am

TheWildOne wrote:Just curious - what part of Tucson ?
( I'm from the B'way & Swan area - Rincon class of '63 - still have a nephew & niece in town )
South side, Valencia & I-10 area.

I'm a Tucson native but grew up in Payson. After I retired from the Air Force IN '02, I decided I wanted to settle down back in the "Old Pueblo".
Last edited by Beastmaster on Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Beastmaster
Party Member
Party Member

Post by Beastmaster » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:12 am

flexydude wrote:what dealer are you buying from? I have only seen a couple urals here in tucson, one guy works at the pima air museum i bought mine from mark in prescott.
Not sure where to buy but all the dealers in the state are in the Phoenix area. The closest in in Mesa but if I can get a better deal from another, I'm willing to listen.

I'm friends with John and he just retired from the Air Museum in fact he's the reason I'm considering buying one. Just spent Saturday with him at the Cops and Rodders car show.

hotflash44
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by hotflash44 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:36 am

Beastmaster, you know i remember when i was about 10 years old circa 1954/5, we lived about 3 blocks north of the main entrance to DM, and there was the Enola Gay and a German JU 88 at a small grassy display to the left of the main gate! :cheers:

Beastmaster
Party Member
Party Member

Post by Beastmaster » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:56 am

hotflash44 wrote:Beastmaster, you know i remember when i was about 10 years old circa 1954/5, we lived about 3 blocks north of the main entrance to DM, and there was the Enola Gay and a German JU 88 at a small grassy display to the left of the main gate! :cheers:
Wow, very cool :thumbsup:

In the early '70s, as you are probably aware, the base got tired of having to take care of all the planes they had on display along the base fence. They were going to scrap them but a private organization was able to acquire them (except for the Enola Gay of course) and start what is now called the Pima Air and Space Museum. I wouldn't be surprised if your JU 88 is in there now.

hotflash44
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by hotflash44 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:24 pm

Beastmaster , very interesting thanks for the info/update. I left for greener pastures in 1971 so i didn't see or hear about the move. As a 10 year old i loved the ww2 military planes,Golf links road was a dirt trail probably used by base security at the time .I would ride my bicycle up the road and look at the rows of AT-6 advanced trainers all in different color configurations. And off in the distance was a crane with a guillotine blade chopping up airplanes,(sad). Also i saw the last B-36 fly into DM i had read about it in the daily citizen and when i heard the tell tail sound and the windows vibrating i ran outside just in time to see this historic airplane against the Catalina mountains on its last flight,also if i got up early sometimes i would see a U-2 with its U-3 Cessna chaise plane fly in. Tucson was a great place to grow up. :cheers: