Ural and wheelchair

Newbies, introduce yourself here. Are you thinking about getting one and have questions? Ask your basic questions here. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of The Greasy Wrench" section.
Forum rules
Here's the place for those who are newb or thinking about buying a Ural or Dnepr to introduce themselves ask those typical "newbie" questions. Try using the "Search" link at the top of the page to see if your question may have been asked before. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of the Greasy Wrench" section.
Mr Wazzock
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019

Re: Ural and wheelchair

Post by Mr Wazzock » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:06 pm

:thumbsup:
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta
(aka Oranzhevaya Opasnost, "The Orange Peril")

BigJames

Post by BigJames » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:01 pm

VikingOnWheels wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:45 pm
BigJames wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:49 am
poke around on youtube a bit, there is Frenchman who also uses a wheel chair.
I think I've seen the channel you're speaking of (I might actually have seen all the Ural-based videos on YouTube at this point).

I did a quick video showing off my modifications, if you're still interested:
The walkaround - My Ural modifications, accessories, & features
Is that's you! Already seen, subscribed, liked and waiting on the next one... :foilhead:
BigJames
15 Ural M70 (КРИСТИНA) Going...
11 Ural Retro (100K and counting)
95/79 Bural Sportsman (Myrtle)
88 HD FLHS Watsonian Cambridge (232K and counting)
51 HD Servicar

hotflash44

Post by hotflash44 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:27 pm

VikingOnWheels wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:45 pm
BigJames wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:49 am
poke around on youtube a bit, there is Frenchman who also uses a wheel chair.
I think I've seen the channel you're speaking of (I might actually have seen all the Ural-based videos on YouTube at this point).

I did a quick video showing off my modifications, if you're still interested:
The walkaround - My Ural modifications, accessories, & features
keep up the Videos if possible, folks with disabilities need to know that they can enjoy the Ural world, if they so desire. :bow: :bow: :bow: :cheers: PS,i have like everyone been rooting you on sense you first proposed setting up a Ural to suit your particular disability. glad you have achieved so much. :cheers:
2016 gear up asphalt grey, name Seryy Medved ,Air America CIA circa 1967/8 Vung Tau Viet Nam USS Tutuila ARG-4 (AND JUST A TOUCH OF AGENT ORANGE!)

VikingOnWheels
Comrade
Comrade

Post by VikingOnWheels » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:07 am

BigJames wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:01 pm
Is that's you! Already seen, subscribed, liked and waiting on the next one... :foilhead:
:cheers:

hotflash44 wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:27 pm
keep up the Videos if possible, folks with disabilities need to know that they can enjoy the Ural world, if they so desire. :bow: :bow: :bow: :cheers: PS,i have like everyone been rooting you on sense you first proposed setting up a Ural to suit your particular disability. glad you have achieved so much. :cheers:
Thank you :) I'm already working on a fair few ideas, but I'm open to suggestions also!
2017 Ural Gear-Up

hotflash44

Post by hotflash44 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:51 am

VikingOnWheels wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:07 am
BigJames wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:01 pm
:cheers:

hotflash44 wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:27 pm
Thank you :) I'm already working on a fair few ideas, but I'm open to suggestions also!
giving suggestions is something that addresses specific disability of course, might remind our members exactly what your needs are and what you did to make riding a Ural possible. almost all needed custom parts depend on the need and severity of the lack of usage. there are endless ways to engineer controls to off set a specific disability im sure as you have done. just remember there are millions of disabled people all over the world that could benefit from these inventions. :cheers:
2016 gear up asphalt grey, name Seryy Medved ,Air America CIA circa 1967/8 Vung Tau Viet Nam USS Tutuila ARG-4 (AND JUST A TOUCH OF AGENT ORANGE!)

Peter Pan
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by Peter Pan » Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:40 pm

Hey, hey Chico Vikingo,
Your example made school. Here is a video from our newest forum member in the Spanish Ural forum.
Antonio doesn't quit neither. 30 years wheel chair and now 1 year happy three wheeler

Including if you do not understand Spanish. Eyes and technical solutions speek for themselves.

"Backwards, not even for to catch impuls!"*

*(Used to say my parents in law and live day by day. May they rest in peace.)

Sven
Sophie Travelair = Patrol 2013 =>43.388km+nacked :shock: :pot:
8 weeks 12.000km Oregon-Alaska-Oregon
With a DIY foam air filter the rig runs well even in tropical rain = :moto:
Final drives: 1. at 5000km, 2. at 34.000km(+friction plates) 3. at 42.386km
transmission: 1. 40.000km. 2. installed
Engine: 1.43.388km :gahhh:

The Avatar are 2 rice grains stating life's essence:
"The most important you cannot see!"
=> Attitude makes the difference!

hotflash44

Post by hotflash44 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:41 pm

thanks for thinking of VikingOnWheels and posting this remarkable video, its a inspiration im sure to anyone with disabilities. wonder if there is a way for someone with only one arm or hand to steer a motorcycle, like a stroke victim. Ah! food for thought! :cheers:

VikingOnWheels
Comrade
Comrade

Post by VikingOnWheels » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:44 am

Peter Pan wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:40 pm
Hey, hey Chico Vikingo,
Your example made school. Here is a video from our newest forum member in the Spanish Ural forum.
Antonio doesn't quit neither. 30 years wheel chair and now 1 year happy three wheeler

Including if you do not understand Spanish. Eyes and technical solutions speek for themselves.

"Backwards, not even for to catch impuls!"*

*(Used to say my parents in law and live day by day. May they rest in peace.)

Sven
Thank you for that - That's a great way to solve not only the technical driving solutions, but also the stowing of the wheelchair! A great option for those running with foldable chairs, to be sure!

Although the rig has been parked for the winter, I'm still pining over some of the issues that presented themselves over the previous summer, and I'm still no closer to finding solutions I'm afraid. It's gotten to a point where I at one point considered putting the whole rig up for sale in frustration, but I'm over that now.

For the most part, the rig has been really well behaved, and the main bulk of the problems stem from my own modifications (however necessary they may be). This post might be long, but I thought the more information the better.

Issue the first: The back brakes
This one has been plaguing me ever since day one, and I thought I'd document it here in hopes that one of you guys might have input or ideas.
The original back brake assembly and master cylinder has been removed, and replaced by a (hitherto unidentified) setup by Behringer (purchased through cyclebrakes.com).

The thumb brake feeds into a T-connection, which is connected to the back- and sidecar brake.

- Detailed photo of the splitter: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Hydraul ... 4c4djxXjaO
- The brake lines: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/500mm-6 ... 4c4djxXjaO
- Banjos (I had to go for this option because of EU requirements with regards to crimped vs threaded brake lines): https://www.aliexpress.com/item/500mm-6 ... 4c4djxXjaO
- Light switch bolt for brake light: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Univers ... 4c4djxXjaO

The entire setup has been bled by two different motorcycle shops, as well as my father. We have also tried pushing brake fluid from both sides simultaneously. There is about 70 % braking power for 10’ish minutes after bleeding, but then it just seeps out. There are no visible leaks, so we’re chalking that up to either weak brake lines (they might expand under pressure), or that there is a vacuum in the system right after bleeding, which affords the braking power a short while after bleeding. The other running theory is that the master cylinder is simply too small to apply enough pressure in order to effect the brakes.

The gentleman from which I purchased the brakes provided this suggestion:

“Ive gone over your setup with berringer usa and this is what we have come up with……  the pads MUST be changed out to a HH rated friction compound to get the most out of the system you have.  The MC you have is the one that Berringer france recommended based on the fact that it will be operating 2 calipers.  The problem we have is that a human thumb doesn’t have the strength or leverage that our hands or feet do which means that it might not be able to push both calipers’ pistons in the way a hand brake MC would.  Based on the fact that you don’t have use of your feet like most other riders do, a thumb brake is the only option      it should provide some braking force at the least although it wont provide as much as a foot operated MC  I don’t know what to tell you beyond that although I am happy to hear any additional input from yourself or others”

Seeing as there is no movement at the calliper when applying the brake, I fail to see how the pads could have anything to do with the issue at hand.

I’m ready to look at one of those “Left hand back brake”-kits which place a whole new lever above the clutch, and to rebuild the entire system with new brake lines, but I’m still at a loss if this doesn’t solve anything.

Issue the second: Throttle body/cylinder balancing
& idle adjustment

The bike started running low at idle, and would sometimes choke at intersections early on in the summer. Finally fancying that I’d found a problem I could fix myself, I set out adjusting the screws I knew would adjust idle-speeds. Later on in the summer, I discovered there were TWO screws (one per cylinder), and so I’m now in need of balancing.

I’ve read through the appropriate 30 page post (https://sovietsteeds.com/forums/viewtop ... 23&t=47343), and was ready to order everything I needed to fix this issue, but shipping of the components to make the cable in question came to a minimum of $108, so that’s been put on hold until I can find a cheaper option.

Issue the third: Throttle wire
When I turn right, the bike revs up, when I turn left, the revs let off. This is most likely the throttle cable having snagged on something, but any amount of tugging hasn’t fixed the issue. I’ll lift the tank and have a look closer to springtime.

Issue the fourth: High oil consumption
This one might be related to the second issue. I initially chalked it down to the engine being new, and needing to settle in, but by the end of my week-long ride last summer, the oil consumption still hadn’t lowered to reasonable levels.

So that’s the long and short of it. These four issues have been plaguing me all through the winter, and since two shops and three experts have tried and failed at the first two issues, I’m left stranded and at a loss for what to do/try next. I’m hoping you guys might have much appreciated and valued input, although I recognise the first (and frankly most haunting) issue is not directly Ural-related.
2017 Ural Gear-Up

hotflash44

Post by hotflash44 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:38 am

well soviet steed brain trust i bet can solve some of your issues and i hope the experts here get on board. i know the OBD adapter cable is available and shouldent cost to much to get it shipped. i use OBDwiz with a cable made up by one of our forum members it work great. anyway don't give up this is to important a project. (winners don't quit and quitters don't win) :bow: :cheers:

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:09 am

Just my thoughts - $108 for a diagnostic Cable! Madness! :o

I'd look at making my own even if it means changing the bikes connector to something I can actually get.

I agree can't operate rear brakes with just a thumb, to be honest I was sceptical when I first heard of this idea. Sounds like it needs a servo assisted system to work. Left hand lever much better idea. You might also not bother with a sidecar brake at all, which will greatly simplify things.
Mike H

rivers

Post by rivers » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:46 am

hotflash44 wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:41 pm
thanks for thinking of VikingOnWheels and posting this remarkable video, its a inspiration im sure to anyone with disabilities. wonder if there is a way for someone with only one arm or hand to steer a motorcycle, like a stroke victim. Ah! food for thought! :cheers:
We had a member here "Leftka" that only has one arm. When he bought a new Ural I think from Holopaw Gene? It was set up with the hand controls all on one bar end. He has since sold the Ural and last I saw was piloting a new Indian/Hannigan combo.
Joe
014 GU
"I'm lost but I'm making good time."

VikingOnWheels
Comrade
Comrade

Post by VikingOnWheels » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:16 pm

Mr Wazzock wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:09 am
Just my thoughts - $108 for a diagnostic Cable! Madness! :o

I'd look at making my own even if it means changing the bikes connector to something I can actually get.

I agree can't operate rear brakes with just a thumb, to be honest I was sceptical when I first heard of this idea. Sounds like it needs a servo assisted system to work. Left hand lever much better idea. You might also not bother with a sidecar brake at all, which will greatly simplify things.
$108 is just the price of shipping - I'm sure all the components would fit in any old envelope, so that price is out of the question way too high :?

Changing the bike's connector doesn't sound like I'd have an easy time of it, but I suppose that would let me work with what ever parts I can source locally, and just having to buy the OBD reader.

I've considered dropping the sidecar wheel-brake altogether, but ideally speaking I would like to have some braking power there too, so that I don't end up pulling left while braking into oncoming traffic :P That said, I obviously haven't been able to experiment with how much of an effect braking with only the back wheel would have.
2017 Ural Gear-Up

Peter Pan
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by Peter Pan » Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:03 pm

Hello Chico Vikingo,
with those videos and rides you did, many "complete" guys do not a tenth of what you have done with your rig. I cannot believe you give up on it after such a lot of work and efford.
Bleeding long brake lines is a troublesome story always as air stays trapped in the high spots... When you bleed you compress the air and when the bike rests the air "cushion" pushes the liquid back to the tank...Not even a brand new main piston will get that fixed...air has to come out . Some people use vacuum tools for this rest of air. On the german forum they recomend to take off the main cylinder and have the whole line upwards hanging over night with the lever activated by a rubber band.
No idea how actually, as I still have mechanical foot brakes on my bikes.

Oil consumption of these bikes is not comparable to modern Japeneese bikes...Hot day, much mountain twisties, stop and go in down town and she smokes the oil. Just normal until the engine is run in/broken in properly. My Sophie needed 21.000km until the engine was truely free and running well. On the days i pushed her through roads comparable to the Troll-pass I had oil consume up to 1liter per day(200km).
Once the engine became adult, she still takes her pint of oil on harsh and hot days here in tropical mountain range, but way less on fair ground and cool weather.

You have done so much, now just twiggle with the rest of squirts and have a great summer again.
On, on buddy.
Sven
Sophie Travelair = Patrol 2013 =>43.388km+nacked :shock: :pot:
8 weeks 12.000km Oregon-Alaska-Oregon
With a DIY foam air filter the rig runs well even in tropical rain = :moto:
Final drives: 1. at 5000km, 2. at 34.000km(+friction plates) 3. at 42.386km
transmission: 1. 40.000km. 2. installed
Engine: 1.43.388km :gahhh:

The Avatar are 2 rice grains stating life's essence:
"The most important you cannot see!"
=> Attitude makes the difference!

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:03 pm

VikingOnWheels wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:16 pm
$108 is just the price of shipping -
Well even more mad! :o
Changing the bike's connector doesn't sound like I'd have an easy time of it, but I suppose that would let me work with what ever parts I can source locally, and just having to buy the OBD reader.
The one on mine is the Molex 6-pin, there's a topic about it - then they went and changed it for something even more obscure. But as far as I know it's still the same basic 4 wires, so any 4 - 6 pin connector would do the job.
I've considered dropping the sidecar wheel-brake altogether, but ideally speaking I would like to have some braking power there too, so that I don't end up pulling left while braking into oncoming traffic :P That said, I obviously haven't been able to experiment with how much of an effect braking with only the back wheel would have.
I may be able to help you there - my sidecar brake has never worked all the time I've had, beause it's backed right off. Dealer doesn't like them so always has them backed off. He was telling me, first Ural he got with the sidecar brake, took it out to try it, nerly crapped himself braking on a roundabout because it switched from turning around the island to travelling straight at kerb. So he thought right that's coming off. As for me, I was taught how to use the (bike only) rear brake to assist tight turns, so again sidecar brake wouldn't help there. I have taken mine off (at least all the hydraulics) because I fitted a trailer towbar, and it won't fit with the master cylinder in situ. But I never used the brake anyway so no loss. :D

Emergency stopping with no sidecar brake. Yes instructor had me doing this on his BMW F800 rig. First time, ended up turned sideways 45 degrees. As he said it would. Second time (he's banging on the sidecar without warning, as the signal, like doing a driving test) only maybe 20 degrees. I'm learning what's going to happen. Couple more times, on my own by this time, on the Ural, I've learned to keep it straight, by steering. really not difficult and becomes muscle memory. Image

PS: yes more grippy brakes pads are helpful too, I am now using EBC semi-sintered pads. Main reason for getting them was because of the trailer.
Mike H

VikingOnWheels
Comrade
Comrade

Post by VikingOnWheels » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:12 pm

Peter Pan wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:03 pm
Hello Chico Vikingo,
with those videos and rides you did, many "complete" guys do not a tenth of what you have done with your rig. I cannot believe you give up on it after such a lot of work and efford.
Bleeding long brake lines is a troublesome story always as air stays trapped in the high spots... When you bleed you compress the air and when the bike rests the air "cushion" pushes the liquid back to the tank...Not even a brand new main piston will get that fixed...air has to come out . Some people use vacuum tools for this rest of air. On the german forum they recomend to take off the main cylinder and have the whole line upwards hanging over night with the lever activated by a rubber band.
No idea how actually, as I still have mechanical foot brakes on my bikes.

Oil consumption of these bikes is not comparable to modern Japeneese bikes...Hot day, much mountain twisties, stop and go in down town and she smokes the oil. Just normal until the engine is run in/broken in properly. My Sophie needed 21.000km until the engine was truely free and running well. On the days i pushed her through roads comparable to the Troll-pass I had oil consume up to 1liter per day(200km).
Once the engine became adult, she still takes her pint of oil on harsh and hot days here in tropical mountain range, but way less on fair ground and cool weather.

You have done so much, now just twiggle with the rest of squirts and have a great summer again.
On, on buddy.
Sven
I won't be giving in just yet, it's just a spot of frustration as I feel like I've tried everything and am left with fending for myself once the local shops have given up. I'll be looking into bleeding the lines the way you've described here, as I do have access to a vacuum tool. I'm just hoping the T-connection won't be (or hasn't been) an issue with regards to air pockets. It (along with getting my hands on the OBD-tool and cable) is the last remaining issue, and then I can start the season without any issues.

The oil consumption I can live with, as all it takes is knowledge, and a pint or two as backup :)
2017 Ural Gear-Up