Fly the car at 45 mph in a rIght or left hand curve and other tricks

Newbies, introduce yourself here. Are you thinking about getting one and have questions? Ask your basic questions here. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of The Greasy Wrench" section.
Forum rules
Here's the place for those who are newb or thinking about buying a Ural or Dnepr to introduce themselves ask those typical "newbie" questions. Try using the "Search" link at the top of the page to see if your question may have been asked before. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of the Greasy Wrench" section.
DeltaGolfFoxtrot
Party Member
Party Member

Fly the car at 45 mph in a rIght or left hand curve and other tricks

Post by DeltaGolfFoxtrot » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:50 am

This topic was mentioned on another post which I cannot seem to locate... so here is a new thread about it.

The topic was if it was possible for tomcatfixer to fly the hsck at 45 in a right hand curve. Chad says he does it and can fly the car at will. I agree that Chad is a masterflyer, better than me but I have been tagged by Chad as being batsh!t crazy therefore I have skills beyond my level of competence.

It is possible to steer through both right and left hand curves at 45mph while flying the car. I can do it and so can you. To do so get the car flying either before you enter the curve or at the very beginning...or hell, be like Chad and just fly it for the entire route. Maintain 45mph and use liberal body english to steer through the curve.

With the car flying in the air:

For a right hand curve pull on the right handlebar which will steer the bike to the right and lean right/upward toward the hack, maybe even shifting your butt up the seat as you lean. The car will want to raise higher into the air as you pull harder on the right bar so you jave to counter with your body weight by leaning right.

For a left hand curve pull slightly on the left bar which will cause the car to lower and cause the bike to steer left. To keep the car flying lean to the left toward the pavement.

For both curve directions a little english goes a long way so keep that in mind.

So have at it. While learning this be sure to do so on a road where you can see the road through the curve and ONLY attempt this when there are no cars in sight because you will end up in the other lane on the first attempt.

Another flying trick I like to do is fly to a stop, turn off the bike as you rest it on the engine guard, then dismount the bike while leaving the hack up in the air. Leave it that way while you do some UDF talking then remount, start the engine, lean to the right a little to get it off the engine guard and simultaneously let out the clutch. That is my favorite UDF trick thus far.

It is possible to start off from a full stop while flying the car and upshift to whatever gear and speed to want to fly.

Note: in all cases the front wheel can get wobbly. Just go with it, it'll be alright.
Also note: you use a larger muscle group and therefore greater dexterity when you pull the handlebar to steer rather than pushing the handlebar to steer. Never push the bar with one hand and pull with the other. I pull to steer on both the right AND left bars at the same time, I just pull less of the left side when I want to go right. This tend to minimize the front wheel wobble.

I've been working on car flying in reverse but that one is a bit difficult to master.
Last edited by DeltaGolfFoxtrot on Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Don in Coastal Alabama
You only get to ride this ball of mud once so might as well enjoy it to the max.

DeltaGolfFoxtrot
Party Member
Party Member

Re: Fly the car at 45 mph in a rIght or left hand curve and other tricks

Post by DeltaGolfFoxtrot » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:04 am

Two other thoughts. The curve discussion above was for bikes with the hack on the right side. For left side hacks the opposite of the above will work for you guys.

Secondly, for right hack rigs, practice and master the right hand curves first because if you screw up you'll (at best) just end up crossing over into the other lane, hopefully without a car headed at you.

If you screw up flying the car in a left hand curve you'll drift over onto the shoulder/ditch/curb/guardrail/power pole/whatever is on the right side of the road. I recommend you only fly a left curve when there is nothing to hit on the right side of the road. I don't always follow my own advice so ypu possibly won't either... you have been warned.

Have fun.
Don in Coastal Alabama
You only get to ride this ball of mud once so might as well enjoy it to the max.

DeltaGolfFoxtrot
Party Member
Party Member

Post by DeltaGolfFoxtrot » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:21 am

The biggest problem I have with flying the car is scraping the left pontoon muffler. The tighter the right turn the higher the hack will have to go and more counterbalance you'll need to provide. At some point your left pontoon will start to bottom out and scrape.

No worries for me b/c I hate those mufflers and if I scrape off the left one then so be it.

My plan is to swap on some sportster mufflers.
Don in Coastal Alabama

Ironhorse Sa
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by Ironhorse Sa » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:18 am

Show us a video of this...
2013 Retro - the dude-
2013 Tourist - the red baron-
2012 Tourist - TINTIN -
2011 Gear Up - Obelix-
http://www.uralsidecartours.co.za
Facebook; uralsidecartours
Remember,- he who dies with the most toys, - still dies!
My Ural does not leak oil, - it sweats horsepower!
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car-window.
Johannesburg
South Africa

Dr Z
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Re: Fly the car at 45 mph in a rIght or left hand curve e show me stateand other tricks

Post by Dr Z » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:31 am

Interesting analysis. I was born in Missouri. The "show me" state. Perhaps one day while u r demonstrating the 45 mph right hand curve. Someone could video tape. I'd be interested to c how tight the curve was. I misjudged a "tight" right hand curve on a paved road through the woods. I certainly wasn't attempting to fly the car but up she came. My instinct was to practically jump into the sidecar. Which I did. And steer to the right. Happened too fast to determine if I was pushing or pulling the handlebars. The sensation I had was going straight (and missing the curve going off the narrow road to the left as was cautioned by DFG.) I'm just having trouble visualizing this. But by muscleing the handlebars sufficiently I imagine it might be possible. While also controlling the center of gravity of the rig with rider

I think the operative word is how tight the curve is. The road I was on had a 50km/hr limit which roughly translates to 30 mph. So I was actually speeding above the recommended limit and going 45 mph

One day a guy on here said he could haul a Ural in back of pickup truck. I ended up gettin a pic of a Ural in back of a pickup. Not convinced he rode it into the truck. But there she sat

Plz don't crash
Dr Z
Former owner of LARA a 2010 Black Patrol
Designer of the soon to be world famous Ural Triple Shifter

stagewex
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019

Post by stagewex » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:44 am

"A Man's gotta know his limitations".
Dirty Harry
Stagewex

Current Herd all running amok:
2008 Vespa 150S (Elec & Kick Start)
2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
2006 Honda "Big Ruckus" PS250
2006 Yamaha TW200 (Elec & Kick Start)
1995 BMW K75 (Elec Start)
1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only)
1986 Yamaha BW200ES (Elec & Kick Start)

DeltaGolfFoxtrot
Party Member
Party Member

Post by DeltaGolfFoxtrot » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:58 am

Ironhorse Sa wrote:Show us a video of this...
I am in Japan for 2 weeks on a work trip so can't do that so easily right now. However the video that Chad did on day one, hour one of ownership shows me doing a sweeping left hand turn followed by a very tight right hand curve on the other side of the parking lot, both while flying the car. Granted this wasn't at 45 mph but it does show these turns demonstrated at 10 -15 mph. With practice they could be done at any speed; probably not smart at 45 mph or higher bit definately possible.

I have done a 60 mph accelerating, car flying, right hand curve onto an interstate on ramp (diamond arrangement) with an unwanted wobbly front wheel. That wasn't much fun but I did it. I have also witnessed Chad do the same thing.

Here is the video mentioned above...
Don in Coastal Alabama

Dr Z
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by Dr Z » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:28 am

Ahhhhhhh I was under the impression u had already done it at 45.
Dr Z

DeltaGolfFoxtrot
Party Member
Party Member

Post by DeltaGolfFoxtrot » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:10 am

I have. I said I can do it in the first post. In my last post i said i've done it at 60 getting onto the interstate.

I've given a detailed description telling how I do it.

I've provided Chad's video of me doing it at a slower speed. In the big 900 mile fly and ride thread I provided status updates with screen shot evidence as to my position and weather screen shots which showed i rode the 923 miles in 22 hours or so, all night long without stopping.

I have not made any claim which has not been substantiated for your Missouri "show me" issues. If you don't believe me that's your problem not mine. If you look closely at the video you can see me shifting my weight to make the right hand turn when I get near to the camera after the sweeping left hand turn. This was my first time every riding any sidecar rig...and I was doing flying turns. Since then i've been increasing my skills. You are invited to extrapolate to project my learning curve.

I have nothing to prove to you or anyone. I wrote this thread with the intent to help anyone who wants to do/improve/try somethimg different with their flying skills yet I get the "show me" bullsh!t from you b/c you don't think it is possible or not safe or dumb idea or whatever negitive remark you come up with as a response. You've been on my a$$ since I joined this forum and enough is enough with your negativity saying I can't or shouldn't do this or that or by insinuating as in your post above that this is just theory because you think I haven't done it and there is no proof. You're a former marine, no? I'm surprised at your pussified coments and lack of can do spirit. If you want proof then go work on you own riding skills and see for yourself that it is possible rather than calling into question the various info I post about on this thread and the like. Others may appreciate this info if you dont.

Edited to tone down my response...b/c I really am a nice guy.
Don in Coastal Alabama

Buckhorn

Post by Buckhorn » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:00 am

Let's be nice now
2013 Ural Gear Up Gobi camo
Raceway 2 into 1 right side high exhaust, with Two Brothers muffler
Dimple drain plugs
Shorty left side directionals
2010 Harley Fat Boy
:)

Tomcatfixer
Commissar
Commissar

Post by Tomcatfixer » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:52 am

Just discovered this highly entertaining thread. Let me see if I can sweet-talk my wife into filming some of my chair-flying antics.
- Chad

Gordonsville, Virginia, USA

Current rides:
2015 Ural cT "Mobile Chernobyl", 2001 Ural Patrol "The Patrol", 1999 Ural Tourist "The RPOC", 1994 Honda VFR750F

Previous rides:
2007 Honda VTR1000 FireStorm (Super Hawk in U.S.)
2001 Buell Blast! - - - - - - - 2005 Yamaha FJR1300
1993 Honda CBR600F2 - -1984 Yamaha FJ1100
Two different 1986 Yamaha FZX700S Fazers

Dr Z
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by Dr Z » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:05 am

Hey chad. I've seen some. All R interesting. My specific interest is if it is possible to navigate a rather tight right hand curve (30 mph dot indicated safe speed) at 45 mph. I somehow can't quite envision it because it would require tremendous dexterity to counterbalance the centripetal force while riding on outside edge of tires. I am familiar with leaning into a right hand turn on a traditional mc. Just boggles my mind. But is totally dependent upon the radius of the turn. Obviously. The curve that almost killed me was one where a cage would almost have drifted. Granted I was going too fast. I don't dispute a wide sweeping turn to right would be possible. Don't crash on my behalf. Lol
Dr Z

Tomcatfixer
Commissar
Commissar

Post by Tomcatfixer » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:28 pm

45mph on a 30mph right-hander? Hmm. I dunno. Sounds challenging. The amount of weight in the sidecar will significantly affect whether or not this is possible. Looks like I need to go find a 30mph curve upon which I can "do science".
- Chad

Gordonsville, Virginia, USA

Current rides:
2015 Ural cT "Mobile Chernobyl", 2001 Ural Patrol "The Patrol", 1999 Ural Tourist "The RPOC", 1994 Honda VFR750F

Previous rides:
2007 Honda VTR1000 FireStorm (Super Hawk in U.S.)
2001 Buell Blast! - - - - - - - 2005 Yamaha FJR1300
1993 Honda CBR600F2 - -1984 Yamaha FJ1100
Two different 1986 Yamaha FZX700S Fazers

Snakeoil
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by Snakeoil » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:47 pm

With the car in the air, the rig becomes a motorcycle and the rules for countersteering apply. The rub is that big friggin' bob weight hanging off the right side that either wants to return to Earth or flip you over on your head depending on what you do with the bars.

When I first learned to fly the car, on the way back home, I put the car in the air (in 1st gear) and rode it down our half mile long road and around a left hand bend. It was easy. When I was practicing, I was taking it around right and left curves all in 1st gear. I've never considered trying to fly it at speed intentionally because to me, it's like pulling a wheelie on a public road. It distracts you from what you should be doing, riding defensively, (Not lecturing here) and increases the risk of something going wrong in a hostile environment. I have flown the car in right handers when I have taken a right a little hotter than I should have. After knowing what flying the car feels like and how to do it, having the car lift in a right hander when I did not intend it to lift is not as underwear filling as it was before learning how to fly. It actually feels quite normal. I have no ballast in my chair and no spare tire. My rig is as light as I can get it (for a tractor).
Regards,
Rob
Proud member of the Peanut Gallery
2000 Ural Tourist
40 Pilots, 122 Mains
Before you say something stupid, always ask yourself, "What would Harpo say?".

DeltaGolfFoxtrot
Party Member
Party Member

Post by DeltaGolfFoxtrot » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:30 pm

Dr Z wrote:...My specific interest is if it is possible to navigate a rather tight right hand curve (30 mph dot indicated safe speed) at 45 mph. ... But is totally dependent upon the radius of the turn. Obviously.
Now more criteia has been given. 1st it was 45mph, flying car, and a right hand curve. Now it is a 30 mph DOT speed limit, tight radius(still not defined), do it at 45 mph with a flying car and video it lest you call BS. You sir are a troll. :!:

I will NOT post some video of me doing this for your amusement because you have no skin in the game since you have not said you would also be improving your skills in mastering these made up requirements which are bogus since 1) they keep changing and 2) the curve radius and superelevation must be stated in the criteria.
Dr Z wrote:The curve that almost killed me was one where a cage would almost have drifted. Granted I was going too fast.
The purpose of this thread is to help flyers who WANT to improve their flying skills. The purpose is NOT to debate or reverse engineer how or why you crashed.
Dr Z wrote:I don't dispute a wide sweeping turn to right would be possible.
:bs:
Yes you do and have disputed it with your insinuation stated on your previous post and the negativity contained in and implied with your "show me" and other validity challenging remarks. Don't change your story now. You are a troll. :!:
Don in Coastal Alabama