Anyone Know Anything About Chaing Jiang (Ural Knockoff)?

Newbies, introduce yourself here. Are you thinking about getting one and have questions? Ask your basic questions here. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of The Greasy Wrench" section.
Forum rules
Here's the place for those who are newb or thinking about buying a Ural or Dnepr to introduce themselves ask those typical "newbie" questions. Try using the "Search" link at the top of the page to see if your question may have been asked before. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of the Greasy Wrench" section.
Aufgeblassen
Comrade
Comrade

Anyone Know Anything About Chaing Jiang (Ural Knockoff)?

Post by Aufgeblassen » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:03 am

Someone has a 1957 (yes, it is 60 years old!) Chang Jiang CJ750 M1S that is very much like a Ural bike w/sidecar for sale. Thinking about buying it. They are asking $5500, and say it runs great.

I believe most of the models in that era were side valve, 24 HP M1M models (M1 models were 6 volt), while the one for sale is an overhead valve, 36 HP model.

All about Chang Chiangs: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chang_Jiang_(motorcycle)

Side valve models look like:

Brian Crean
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Re: Anyone Know Anything About Chaing Jiang (Ural Knockoff)?

Post by Brian Crean » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:46 am

It's all fun & games till something breaks, and you need new parts. If it were me, I'd stick to where I had a reliable part supply, and dealer network. Ain't as exotic, but it beats the hell out of walking.

MartyL
Benevolent Emperor
Benevolent Emperor

Post by MartyL » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:48 am

Make sure it has a clean title.And that rule goes with any bike, boat, truck, or car. IMHO if your looking to dive into these kind of rigs, I'd look for a used, well maintained Ural. Why? Because they are still a production motorcycle with a dealer network and lots of owners like in this forum that can help you when things need sorting out. Ural parts are plentiful. A well known dealer once said this to me and it makes perfect sense," Do you want a Studebaker or a Chevy?" Both are good cars but when it comes to getting parts and getting tech. assistance which would you rather have. I'm not knocking C.J.'s, it just how deep do you want to go with a first time sidecar.
2010 Gear Up
1976 Yamaha XS650C
2015 Yamaha FJ09 sold
2018 H-D FLHXS
Peace.... God Bless our brave soldiers defending our freedom. God Bless America!
As I get older, I see the wisdom in Hannibal Lecter......
Ladies,Do your part! Prevent MSB often! Save mankind!!!

MartyL
Benevolent Emperor
Benevolent Emperor

Post by MartyL » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:56 am

P.S. Look in the Black market section of this forum. There is a 2013 Gear Up for sale asking 10,500. U.S. That is IMHO a killer deal on a well sorted out rig.
2010 Gear Up
1976 Yamaha XS650C
2015 Yamaha FJ09 sold
2018 H-D FLHXS
Peace.... God Bless our brave soldiers defending our freedom. God Bless America!
As I get older, I see the wisdom in Hannibal Lecter......
Ladies,Do your part! Prevent MSB often! Save mankind!!!

rivers
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2018

Post by rivers » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:33 pm

I'd love to have a flathead CJ someday but I'm not really normal. I would consider it as a constant ongoing project vehicle. It's going to take a large commitment in time and labor. Mostly waiting for repair parts from China. My goal would be to rebuild one and make a backroads x-country excursion just to do it. Practically any old flathead once you get it in good condition and maintainable condition will be reasonably reliable (by period standards)and use with some constant fussing. What's your intended goal? Expect more wrenching than riding time. If you are in the USA make "SURE" it has a valid US title or you'll likely never get it titled and plated for road use. If you're looking for your first sidecar outfit I'd pass unless you're willing spend the time/labor to get it up to reasonable reliability/maintainable status . It's not going to be a buy, just change oil/tune-up and then zoom off into the horizon outfit. Think project/toy rather than daily rider. Time and money wise IMHO you're better off with a later Ural or Dnepr. Lot less parts/repair hassles.
Joe
014 GU
"I'm lost but I'm making good time."

dneprlover
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by dneprlover » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:08 pm

Aufgeblassen wrote:Someone has a 1957 (yes, it is 60 years old!) Chang Jiang CJ750 M1S that is very much like a Ural bike w/sidecar for sale.
:bs: and more :bs:

The Russians passed on the M72 Ural production line to China in 1957 but production of the SV M1 did not start until about 1963

Production of the OHV M1s began in 1985

The 6v M1 was phased out in 1986 and production of the M1m 12v SV machines started.

All Chang Jiang production ceased in 2003 and they are now illegal to run in many parts of China due to emission regulations

60 years is probably the age of the DMV employee who allowed it to be registered

First post, pushing a bulldust listing at a silly price , smells and looks like SPAM
Neval BMW/MT11 800cc hybrid, Neval 2wd MT10-36, Neval standard MT10-36, Neval MT16, another MT11, BMW/MB650 hybrid , K750m and an MB750 with locking diff.

Aufgeblassen
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Aufgeblassen » Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:52 pm

Not spam. I spoke the lady that has it. It has a FL Title, and runs great. The RV park (like the RV park we also own a lot) has a strict rule about only two vehicles per lot, and she must get rid of it, otherwise she'd keep it.

chaos2
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by chaos2 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:09 pm

Knock $2000 off for that paint job!
past afflictions include TR motocars and bikes, R60/2 & a R65, MGs, and a Citroen.
Now a 2012 FF GU and an 87 K75s
dual K&N cones on PVC intake, 40/137.5
Raceway needles
Modtop exhaust
$29 VW Hydraulic steering dampener

Aufgeblassen
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Aufgeblassen » Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:50 pm

chaos2 wrote:Knock $2000 off for that paint job!
What? You don't like it?

Claus

Post by Claus » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:50 pm

I just had to repair a OHV CJ the other month. Here in Germany parts are available easy. But the quality is very poor.
For me with some 20 years experience with Ural engines it was not the first CJ but the last one to change the crank shaft, pistons an bearings.
It runs smooth now and starts very good.But that was a long way, appr. 3 full days of labour. Everything had to be worked over and repaired before I could use it. And I bought only "quality parts" from a known dealer.
I would recommend a Ural if you want to start with those type of rigs...
owned bikes: 93 Ural hack domestic model, 01 Ural 750 hack
92 BMW R100GS, 92 Suzuki GSX1100G hack, 95 BMW R100R hack with Ural sidecar

Aufgeblassen
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Aufgeblassen » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:00 pm

Claus wrote:I just had to repair a OHV CJ the other month. Here in Germany parts are available easy. But the quality is very poor.
For me with some 20 years experience with Ural engines it was not the first CJ but the last one to change the crank shaft, pistons an bearings.
It runs smooth now and starts very good.But that was a long way, appr. 3 full days of labour. Everything had to be worked over and repaired before I could use it. And I bought only "quality parts" from a known dealer.
I would recommend a Ural if you want to start with those type of rigs...
THANKS for the info!

In the meantime, I did find plenty of parts available online (surprisingly).

What is unique though about that '57 is that is when I was born, so it is a special year! :D

Bilgekeeldave
Commissar
Commissar

Post by Bilgekeeldave » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:10 pm

Chang Jiangs are not Ural Knock offs, KMZ sold the tooling to China when they came out with a newer design.
Dave

RAMCO-Dnepr MT-16

Claus

Post by Claus » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:16 pm

Yes, there are plenty of parts you can buy. They very often only look like parts but cannot be used.
The long time German dealer told me some years ago that the 1957 is stamped into the chinese title to help the new owners to get them road legal in their countries as a vintage vehicle.
The Alternator and rectifier are like stolen Bosch lookalikes. They work quite well but are not bosch quality at all. The starter clutch is located infront of the steering gear on the cam shaft. Itś always suspect to fail and not easy to repair properly. The front fork is like weak and the brake drums are of thin fold metal sheet, tending to get oval after the first warming up.
Some of those rigs run very good and are great fun and reliable, too. Most are not and need a great efford to be kept in order. As rivers wrote above: Expect more wrenching than riding time. If you're lucky, riding time equals wrenching time.
But: If it works well, itś great fun to ride it!
owned bikes: 93 Ural hack domestic model, 01 Ural 750 hack
92 BMW R100GS, 92 Suzuki GSX1100G hack, 95 BMW R100R hack with Ural sidecar

GregAus
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by GregAus » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:28 pm

Bilgekeeldave wrote:Chang Jiangs are not Ural Knock offs, KMZ sold the tooling to China when they came out with a newer design.
It was IMZ that provided China with the M-72 design not KMZ and as dneprlover said the OHV engine was not produced until the 1980s so NOT a 1957 model.

chaos2
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by chaos2 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:01 pm

I don't think I have ever seen an old Ural, Dnepr, Chang Jiang, or pseudo BMW come up for sale on ebay or craigslist that was actually what it was advertised to be :lol:
past afflictions include TR motocars and bikes, R60/2 & a R65, MGs, and a Citroen.
Now a 2012 FF GU and an 87 K75s
dual K&N cones on PVC intake, 40/137.5
Raceway needles
Modtop exhaust
$29 VW Hydraulic steering dampener