How's the lighting?

Newbies, introduce yourself here. Are you thinking about getting one and have questions? Ask your basic questions here. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of The Greasy Wrench" section.
Forum rules
Here's the place for those who are newb or thinking about buying a Ural or Dnepr to introduce themselves ask those typical "newbie" questions. Try using the "Search" link at the top of the page to see if your question may have been asked before. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of the Greasy Wrench" section.
IdahoRenegade
Comrade
Comrade

How's the lighting?

Post by IdahoRenegade » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:23 am

I live out in the country in "whitetail central". See groups of deer every day. And I frequently ride at night. Most bikes have inadequate lighting-how is the Ural? Given the number of lights on some, it may be fine. If not, are there any common, affordable upgrades that you have done? Thanks.
2007 Gear Up
2012 Triumph Rocket III
2013 Triumph Tiger 800XC

Lmo
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Re: How's the lighting?

Post by Lmo » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:22 am

7" H4 Halogen headlight is a good upgrade/LED headlight replacement are available. Lots of LED auxiliary driving lights available. Plenty of poop from the Denso alternator, so that isn't an issue.

Here's one; usually around $35 + bulb ($8)
On a person note, I've been running Bosch, Hella, Marchall H4 lights in my bikes since the 70s. Lots of light with long reach.

See > http://www.myhellalights.com/index.php/ ... -headlamp/
Lew Morris
Dnepr w/ '06 Ural Drive Train
C5 Power Arc
125/42 jets
Drilled slides/
.030" shims

1973 BMW R75/5 (original owner)
1947 HD FL (long gone, forever regretful)

siberman1

Post by siberman1 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:34 am

PM Sent
Sent from my laptop using OEM fingers, ordinary Mouse, and LCD-screen
2014 полынь зеленый гU
Сибирь Экспресс #2

Zero payments

INSUBORDINATOR
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by INSUBORDINATOR » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:51 am

I have under $65. in my LED entire lighting upgrade - which is very bright. But you can choose many lighting options with Urals as the later ones have the DENSO CAR ALTERNATOR.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Current Motorcycles: Improved 2002 Ural Tourist.

"Be who you are & say what you feel. Those that matter won't mind, those that mind - don't matter."

rivers

Post by rivers » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:01 pm

How's the lighting?
Generally pretty pi$$ poor. Lotsa aftermarket head lamp and aux lights options though.
Joe
014 GU
"I'm lost but I'm making good time."

Emoore
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by Emoore » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:59 pm

Lmo wrote:7" H4 Halogen headlight is a good upgrade/LED headlight replacement are available. Lots of LED auxiliary driving lights available. Plenty of poop from the Denso alternator, so that isn't an issue.

On a person note, I've been running Bosch, Hella, Marchall H4 lights in my bikes since the 70s. Lots of light with long reach.

Thats funny, I just ordered this light for mine to upgrade it three days ago. It should be here Wednesday. :cheers:
Ernest
2012 Ural T Olive (Roulette)
2011 Patrol (OTTO)
Yamaha FZ07 ( My need for speed )

Wake Forest, NC

John Wayne - Life's Hard. It's Even Harder When You're Stupid.

sixbennetts
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by sixbennetts » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:15 am

$15 on ebay and a can of old spray paint. Bright enough to miss the deer.
PicsArt_1440729269879.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I have a funny wife. Hilarious, really.
I love her, she loves me.

"I'm slow and like to go old."
Plattsburgh NY

Ironhorse Sa
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by Ironhorse Sa » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:20 am

Lighting is 100% - if you only drive during daytime! :)
2013 Retro - the dude-
2013 Tourist - the red baron-
2012 Tourist - TINTIN -
2011 Gear Up - Obelix-
http://www.uralsidecartours.co.za
Facebook; uralsidecartours
Remember,- he who dies with the most toys, - still dies!
My Ural does not leak oil, - it sweats horsepower!
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car-window.
Johannesburg
South Africa

chaos2
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by chaos2 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:22 am

halogen conversion for the headlight, two 6" Hella halogen driving lights and 2 little fog lights, marker light and tail lights changed to led. It's adequate now. I'd consider led driving lights but when I did this couldn't find any I liked that were in my price range
Past afflictions include limey motocars and bikes, R60/2, R65ls, & a Citroen.
Now a DB Haanjo and Canyon CF SL Endurace, '87 K75s,
and a rusty 2012 GU bought new
dual K&N cones on homemade intake, 40/137.5
Raceway needles, Modtop exhaust, E starter delete
$29 VW Hydraulic steering dampener

psyopper
Comrade
Comrade

Post by psyopper » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:38 am

That image is of a Hella E-Code, but your link is for a DOT Vision Plus, a far inferior housing and lens grind. The E-Code is an excellent lens, but considered "off road use only" because it hasn't been DOT certified. The E-Code is the lens used across Europe (hence the E). Nice sharp clear cutoff, nice ditch side sweep up for sign lighting. All glass construction means you can run 100+ watt bulbs. I usually get mine fro Rallylights.com, they also seel the high power bulbs and very well made relay kits so you don;t burn out your stock wiring.

http://www.rallylights.com/hella-7-roun ... 79562.html

Brad

Lmo wrote:7" H4 Halogen headlight is a good upgrade/LED headlight replacement are available. Lots of LED auxiliary driving lights available. Plenty of poop from the Denso alternator, so that isn't an issue.

No Ural yet!
1994 Ducati 900SS

Kilometers2
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by Kilometers2 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:55 am

On my old Gear Up and on this one, I tighten the spot light mounts so the light doesn't move, and use it as an extra light at night or conditions when I want to make sure I am seen. Have IMWA LED lights on the sidecar but at night the spot light rules! It is pointed center lane and I have never had issues with drivers or police for using it.
Miles aka Kilometers

Uralless for 3 years and regretting it the last 2 years I have owned a Doberman. Thinking of coming back rather than hacking the Harley...there is just something about Urals, this forum, and the 2WD I used infrequently while camping.....

Formerly owned 2007 GU, 2014 Patrol, and 2016 GU

Lmo

Post by Lmo » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:09 pm

An aside; I went to work for the Vetter Fairing Company in Rantoul, Illinois, in 1976; you all may remember the Vetter Windjammer. We started importing 7" diameter Bosch, Marschall, and CIBIE H4 halogen lamps to put in the fairings. It was such an incredible improvement in night vision for motorcyclists. It wasn't too long before cars and trucks around Rantoul were using them too, but, due to the expense, only on one side. If you did see a car with two it was more than likely one of the VFCo folks. If you've never been to Rantoul it is one of the flattest places on earth. There's even a little community, about six miles from the plant, that you can see the church steeple. Flatville. ( for real ) The old roads through corn country run straight as an arrow, for miles, and those H4s were perfect for lighting up the deer.
Flatville.jpg
Lew Morris
Dnepr w/ '06 Ural Drive Train
C5 Power Arc
125/42 jets
Drilled slides/
.030" shims

1973 BMW R75/5 (original owner)
1947 HD FL (long gone, forever regretful)