BMW conversion, who does them, how do you like them?

Newbies, introduce yourself here. Are you thinking about getting one and have questions? Ask your basic questions here. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of The Greasy Wrench" section.
Forum rules
Here's the place for those who are newb or thinking about buying a Ural or Dnepr to introduce themselves ask those typical "newbie" questions. Try using the "Search" link at the top of the page to see if your question may have been asked before. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of the Greasy Wrench" section.
Orgoth225
Comrade
Comrade

BMW conversion, who does them, how do you like them?

Post by Orgoth225 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:37 pm

Well its decided, even on how well I like the flattie in my chang, for long travel I think a BMW transplant might be useful. Anyone here with a transplant? I know that the final drive will take the extra hp but how do long term owners like their reliability'/parts availability?

rivers
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2018

Re: BMW conversion, who does them, how do you like them?

Post by rivers » Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:42 pm

There's a member here "Bural"(?) That's done BMW transplants into Urals and I think Dneprs.
Joe
014 GU
"I'm lost but I'm making good time."

4Paws
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin
Location: Greensboro NC or milepost 199 on the BRP (Fancy Gap VA)

Post by 4Paws » Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:30 am

Might want to check out other rigs first before building your very own Frankenbike, putting a 25 yo engine into a chang with the intention of doing long distance travel and expecting good results sounds like a recipe for true adventure travel.
There is a fairly extensive thread listing on Advrider in the sidecars section. Many attractively priced rigs and some folks who still thing motorcycles make good investments.
Dan
2012 Retro,Honda CB1100, CB500X,Can-Am Spyder (wife's, honest!)
Best thing I've learned from my dog: "never pass up the opportunity to go for a joyride"

fencermatt
Party Member
Party Member

Post by fencermatt » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:51 pm

Orgoth225 wrote:Well its decided, even on how well I like the flattie in my chang, for long travel I think a BMW transplant might be useful. Anyone here with a transplant? I know that the final drive will take the extra hp but how do long term owners like their reliability'/parts availability?
Hi Orgoth,

I'm on my second conversion and I think they're fantastic. I was very happy with my Ural/R80--Bural did that conversion--and I am very happy with my Dnepr/R80 which I did myself. Asking about conversions on this board will get you a million answers, mostly from people who've never seen/touched/ridden one, much less have the knowledge necessary to give you solid advice. I could tell you a bunch about converting an MT-16, a wee bit about converting a Ural, and absolutely nothing about converting a CJ, so don't listen to any technical advice I give. I'd highly suggest you find some folk that have done BMW/Chang conversions and hear what they have to say. Have you tried the Chang Jiang Unlimited Yahoo group? That's a pretty active CJ board, I'd imagine you'll find some people there who're familiar with converting CJs.
Matt Pearsall

1989 Neval MT-16/BMW R80rt (Egor)
2003 Kawasaki KLR 650

immulmen
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by immulmen » Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:30 am

Converting a CJ is almost the same as converting a Ural or Dnepr that does not have an electric start. The non electric Ural trany is a direct fit on a Chang engine.
CJ750 M1M
1997 Ural converted to 2WD With Chang OHV engine.

secondshooter
Comrade
Comrade

Post by secondshooter » Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:00 am

Just a throw away thought ? everybody uses the Russian/Chinese gearbox to get the correct output shaft direction for the original final drive. my question to the well informed members here , can the final drive from another shaft drive bike (Honda Yamaha Suzuki) be modified to fit if they spin in the right direction? you would lose reverse but may gain better brakes and stronger components?

JohnS
Comrade
Comrade

Post by JohnS » Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:22 pm

I have an R60/5 in my 2000 tourist, it works fine and has about the same performance as the 650 Ural. I would go up a bit in displacement if I were to do it again. My conversion was done by Bural. I would definitely recommend it, at least for the older bikes. The engine rotation issue is a function of which side the pinion gear is on, Urals are on the inside and BMW's on the outside. Undoubtedly there are other conversions that could be done, but you'd be on your own as far as the engineering goes while with the Ural/Dnepr/BMW, it has been done many times and all the issues have all been worked out.

Lmo

Post by Lmo » Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:33 pm

I have an R60/5 in my 2000 tourist, it works fine and has about the same performance as the 650 Ural. I would go up a bit in displacement if I were to do it again.
You don't have to "do it again". Just bolt on some 750-900 pistons and jugs and carbs. Not quite that easy, but not a complete make over by any means. Just sayin' :wink:
Lew Morris
Dnepr w/ '06 Ural Drive Train
C5 Power Arc
125/42 jets
Drilled slides/
.030" shims

1973 BMW R75/5 (original owner)
1947 HD FL (long gone, forever regretful)