new ural questions

Newbies, introduce yourself here. Are you thinking about getting one and have questions? Ask your basic questions here. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of The Greasy Wrench" section.
Forum rules
Here's the place for those who are newb or thinking about buying a Ural or Dnepr to introduce themselves ask those typical "newbie" questions. Try using the "Search" link at the top of the page to see if your question may have been asked before. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of the Greasy Wrench" section.
peeper

new ural questions

Post by peeper » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:23 am

Ok. So I have been interested in urals for a number of years now.im currently stationed in lemoore, CA. and have been off and on here and adventure rider looking for info and general knowledge. I currently have a 2013 bonnie but am not an experienced rider by any stretch of the imagination. I plan on trading or selling my bonnie for a ural. My questions so far:
--what are common problems that I should be aware of, like common things that fail?

--what parts should I have with me on trips?

--I know there’s a lot of discussion on this already, but in a little afraid of carbs as of yet as I’ve heard a lot of horror stories about them failing when needed, so I’m looking more towards FI.

--as far as location my nearest dealer is Triquest. Anyone have any info about them? I have heard a few good things.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Albuquralque
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Re: new ural questions

Post by Albuquralque » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:54 am

You won't find a better dealer / service center for Urals than Ski at Triquest. If you buy from him the bike will be set up correctly and he can take care of any problem that might arise.

The moment I list "common" things that fail, those won't be the parts that fail.

I've owned a 2014 EFI model since early 2014. Things that have had to be fixed on mine, but Ural has done some upgrades on the 2016 for these:
Fuel Low Level Light
Final Drive Input Shaft Seal Leaking
Clutch Arm Bending

Clutch splines went out at 27,000kms and I replaced the donut at the same time.

Other than that it has been a real reliable daily driver for me.......both on and off road.
"Put a little gravel in your travel"

Previous Urals Owned: 2004 Wolf, 2006 Tourist, 2006 Patrol (TOW), 2006 Patrol (TOM), 2014 Patrol

INSUBORDINATOR
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by INSUBORDINATOR » Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:02 am

Although I'm an old experienced rider, I have never enjoyed traveling very much anyway, but wouldn't even consider it without a roof, windows & climate control. IMO any URAL is about the worst choice of all the Motorcycles available to travel on. I would hang a URAL SIDECAR on a Goldwing or some other strong Tourer with a PROVEN RELIABILITY record. Others here will support that statement - or disagree.
That being said I reanimated a broken 2002 tourist. I love it, & it has cost me dearly - as a pensioner. I use it for attitude adjustment & wind therapy, to run errands. It is beyond compare as a fun LOCAL ride. I do have a truck to carry large, & car to travel in.
ON CARBS: IF they, fuel tank, & delivery system are in good condition, they will deliver thousands of miles, & are owner friendly. Whereas Fuel Injection requires repair & adjustment by a dealer with expensive electronic equipment. Nationwide there are many more dealers for other makes than Ural - but ALL of them may need to order parts from out of town. I have heard of some Ural parts being on back order from Russia.
I deal with old Ural dealers, & sometimes have had to call 3 to get what I need, & also have frequently used good salvaged parts.
Do your homework before you decide.
Best Wishes, C. >>>>>>HERE'S MINE.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Current Motorcycles: Improved 2002 Ural Tourist.

"Be who you are & say what you feel. Those that matter won't mind, those that mind - don't matter."

rivers
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019

Post by rivers » Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:45 am

Keep reading the "order of the greasy wrench" section. Most of the common and not so common failures are discussed there. Don't be afraid of carbs. Pretty simple little mixers. There ain't a dozen moving parts in the whole thing. Do a little homework to understand how they work and you'll be fine. Once you get them set up correctly for your particular bike they'll be fine till you make some other changes. On the side of the road you can jury rig a carb. It may run like crap and get horrible gas mileage but you'll be moving towards home. If your EFI or computer goes TU on the side of the road you'll be calling a tow truck. In any case a Ural is not a Honda or even a Hinkley Triumph. You will be spending some hands on servicing time with it. Nothing to be afraid of but the commitment does exist. Personally I suggest starting with good condition used Ural(about 06 or later). New ones are getting crazy expensive and some folks just don't like piloting a sidecar outfit. Be tough to be tied to a 15-$20,000 note just to find out this whole sidecar or maint thing ain't for you. :( Maybe start out adding a tub to your Bonnie?
If you must go new, Triquest is one of the good guys. They actually know and care about Urals, not just sell them.
Joe
014 GU
"I'm lost but I'm making good time."

Albuquralque
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by Albuquralque » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:08 pm

INSUBORDINATOR wrote:Whereas Fuel Injection requires repair & adjustment by a dealer with expensive electronic equipment.
Whereas fuel injection isn't for everyone, the only necessity at a dealer is to have the EFI map programmed (updated) in the ECU's. If you have a good running EFI map, then all adjustments after that can be done in the comfort of your garage.
INSUBORDINATOR wrote:I deal with old (established) Ural dealers....
That is a necessity!
INSUBORDINATOR wrote:Do your homework before you decide.
Agreed!
"Put a little gravel in your travel"

Previous Urals Owned: 2004 Wolf, 2006 Tourist, 2006 Patrol (TOW), 2006 Patrol (TOM), 2014 Patrol

Subsnowden
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by Subsnowden » Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:33 pm

Hey "shipmate" (lol). It's a great thing that you have a good Ural dealer near you. Carbs aren't that difficult and sadly working on them is becoming a lost art. A nice carbed or EFI rig will do you fine. Just go for it a dive in head first. They require PMS just like anything else but they are so fun and simple to work on
Jon
Nomad
2015 Ural Gear Up

rougaroo

Post by rougaroo » Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:56 pm

+1 on carbs. I'm all for progress, but you can do all your own maintenance on the carbs and it isn't really hard once you get into it.

What might break is a factor of what year your bike is. Different years are prone to different problems. Very generally speaking, if you get a post-2007 bike you will have fewer problems than earlier years, and post-2003 better than earlier than that.

What to carry? I carry a spare donut, spare compliance fittings, some gas line, a spare clutch cable, all the tools, and a credit card.

You have great riding country all around you. Just get one and sort it out. Ski will guide you right.

Rougaroo
2003 Tourist - lotsa upgrades
2004 Troyka - work in progress

jae
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by jae » Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:09 pm

Common failures? Read around and you're likely to find engine (connecting rod for me), transmission (I've seen at least a couple of other '14's have had issues fairly recently here), final drive, swing arm cracking (only a handful, but any frame failure is one too many), wheels having issues, clutches eating splines, and so on.

If you like working on bikes, they're dead simple, as you'd expect an 70-80 year old design to be. A good dealer will go a long way toward making you a happy owner, and from experience, I'd be hesitant to buy another one new. I'd definitely be looking for one at least 2-3 years old with 12k or more kilometers on it. Most big issues should be sorted by that point.

Honestly, I would not have bought my rig if it was going to be my only bike. I'd say I keep my Triumph and Yamaha as "reserve", but truth is I've been able to ride mine a total of two days since making the purchase mid-January. Don't read this as me saying "don't do it", because when it ran, the Ural was a ton of fun, but I am saying if you like riding regularly, I wouldn't rely on it as your only bike.
'14 Patrol purchased 1/9/16, sold 1/16/18 OR 1.02 map, 497km on first engine. New engine, throttle bodies, throttle cable, rear brake pads/rotor, final drive and 2wd shaft u-joints as of 8/20/16. Mods

'92 Honda Z50 (125cc now), '04 Yamaha PW50 for the boy, '06 Suzi GSX-R 600, '07 Hyosung GV650 project, '05 Hyosung GT650 project

eastbloc

Post by eastbloc » Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:20 pm

If you expect you'll have to depend on a dealer, I wouldn't buy a Ural at all unless you live near one of the great dealers mentioned in this thread. Best not to depend on one at all.

I've been riding and wrenching on Urals for 16 years and I've yet to go to a dealer though I've ordered plenty of parts from Holopaw and others. Most of the failures I've experienced have been minor and I've never been unable to find a way to ride home though it may have been at diminished speeds :lol:

I would worry, given you're by your own admission not an experienced rider, that you're having a bout of romanticism that's causing you to consider trading your reliable modern 2 wheeled steed for a Ural. I would suggest finding an older Ural that's fully depreciated that you can afford while keeping your other ride to see if it is really for you. That way you can experience it without fear, loathing, and regret :lol:
'14 Gear Up
'02 Patrol
'00 Bavarian Classic

Msblu79

Post by Msblu79 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:22 pm

Look for a rig built from 2008 to 2013 with a lot of miles, the more the better! This is one vehicle where high mileage works in your favor, You know then that the issues are sorted out and the rig should be reliable as a well sorted Ural can be. Front Brembo brake with rear drums & carbs are perfectly fine and work well for long periods with only basic maintenance. Keep an eye on the ads and you will find a good one for sure, there are many that run just fine and can be had for reasonable money. :)
2010 Black Patrol 92,000km's
Modtop airbox, 2013 branch pipes, Perch rings, Yamaha petcock, Drilled slides, Gossie needles, 145 mains, 45 pilots, insulated manifolds, Modtop pushrods, Dual FMF exhaust, PA Multi-spark system w/ VOES, Spin on filter conversion, 33mpg, Royal Purple fluids.

peeper

Post by peeper » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:20 pm

Thank you for all the input so far. I know a ural is not a gas and go, but that’s not what I want. I want something that’s self-sufficient, that I can fix if need be. I’m lightly mechanical, I work and troubleshot jet electronics (don’t read wires, its parts I replace) I want something that can co the places I want. I like trips and like what I’ve seen a few urals do that some bikes can’t. I am also captivated by the old design. Like I said I’m still learning and finding out about this bike. I would like to get ahold of ski at Triquest when I get back as well as try and meet any ural owners in my area.

markhas
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by markhas » Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:01 pm

I never had a problem with my 2006 Tourist. It's run perfectly from the first day I got it.
markhas
AMA member
ABATE Wisconsin
06' Tourist 41167/over 75,000Km, 91" 750 Honda Nighthawk sold to my buddy Ernie, we keep in touch.

sagerat

Post by sagerat » Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:35 pm

2004 Tourist with about 44,000 kms; I say about as first speedo died at 27,000 kms and didn't replace it right away.

Go used, provided used has about 8,000-12,000 clicks on it as any major problems would hace revealed themselves by now and probably been fixed. As to what to carry: I go with spare clutch and throttle cables, jerry can, and a good towing package from my BMWOA membership. (In 12 years, it's been used three times and twice were because of a failing Hall sensor and once due to splines on final drive dying.)

2006 and later have an improved airbox in terms of ease of maintenance. If you go to IMZ website they list the major leaps forward such as Herzog gears in tranny, which was either 2008 or 2010, I forget.

With regular maintenance, a Ural wears like an anvil. Electrical gremlins are often related to loose groundwires or failed relays. If I, Mister Ten Thumbs, can keep a Ural rolling you should have no problem.

Urals can be daily drivers as long as you keep the design parameters in mind, i.e., these hacks are happiest at 50-60 mph.
2004 Ural Tourist (2004-2018, 48,000 klicks)

2012 Ural Gobi (Forward to the horizon)

2009 BMW R1200GS Adventure (KIA, sniff)

2017 Kawasaki KLR650 (Semi-orphaned by Urals)

Tomcatfixer
Commissar
Commissar

Post by Tomcatfixer » Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:56 pm

I’m lightly mechanical, I work and troubleshot jet electronics (don’t read wires, its parts I replace) I want something that can co the places I want.
I'm the NAS Oceana Ural-ridin' AT. Looks like you'll be my west coast counterpart.
Rating_Badge_AT.jpg
I was out at Lemoore two weeks ago to retire a friend. Looked like a lot of good ridin' out there.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
- Chad

Gordonsville, Virginia, USA

Current rides:
2015 Ural cT "Mobile Chernobyl", 2001 Ural Patrol "The Patrol", 1999 Ural Tourist "The RPOC", 1994 Honda VFR750F

Previous rides:
2007 Honda VTR1000 FireStorm (Super Hawk in U.S.)
2001 Buell Blast! - - - - - - - 2005 Yamaha FJR1300
1993 Honda CBR600F2 - -1984 Yamaha FJ1100
Two different 1986 Yamaha FZX700S Fazers

peeper

Post by peeper » Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:26 am

@tomcatfixer lmao! yep! AT all the way. yep I'll be cruising around lemoore to start then out on trips if I can.

Plenty of side roads out here to keep a ural happy, and I'll have to go for a better air box to fight the dust in mid to late summer. I have been looking into carbs and how they work. I've never messed with them myself, but I figure if I want to get an olde car someday (FJ40, Defender, or some such) I should learn sooner then later.