GPS advice?

Newbies, introduce yourself here. Are you thinking about getting one and have questions? Ask your basic questions here. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of The Greasy Wrench" section.
Forum rules
Here's the place for those who are newb or thinking about buying a Ural or Dnepr to introduce themselves ask those typical "newbie" questions. Try using the "Search" link at the top of the page to see if your question may have been asked before. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of the Greasy Wrench" section.
torque
Comrade General
Comrade General

GPS advice?

Post by torque » Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:26 pm

Sometime this coming year I'd like to find a GPS unit suitable for use on my "T", but since I have absolutely NO experience with these devices I thought I'd ask for some suggestions here. Want to keep it as low-priced as possible. My son bought one for his truck for only around $100 (a Garmin) that seems to work very well, but I'm not sure if it would hold up to the vibration on a Ural. Are there shock mounts for these things on motorcycles?

So -- any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
2017 Triumph T100 w Velorex 563 hack
2013 Ural "T" (custom) (sold)
08 Linhai Aeolus 300 (sold)
09 Yamaha Majesty (traded)
in the mountains of southern West Virginia

"There are many paths from birth to the grave. They all work."

rivers
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Re: GPS advice?

Post by rivers » Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:29 pm

Most any of the brand name units built for cars hold up pretty well for MC use till they fall off and hit the ground, but vibration doesn't bother them much. Garmin makes pretty good units but some are pure junk. I had a Nuvi 100 or 200? Pure crap. I really like the GPSMAP 60csx and the 276C but both are discontinued models and no longer supported by Garmin. I'm pretty much done with GPS units. I've been working with maps and charts for 40+years so carry and use paper maps-n-compass anyway and just carry a small GPS in my pocket for a quick reference. With a handlebar mount found my self looking up from scrolling through the pages and didn't recognize the scenery. Don't know if I was distracted for a 100 yards or 1,000 yards. Adult version of texting?...not a smart move on a bike. So now it stays in my pocket and if needed I pull over. I'm too old to be this stupid. All decent units are going to be expensive and all pretty much have a similar learning curve. For economy I would try to find a used 60csx with "all" the software and maps needed. Should be able to get into it for $100. I've still got an old 60csx(old reliable) that I keep as backup Plan B. If you're considering a new unit I'd recommend the Delorme PN-60. Good solid unit and with a cheap upgraded SD memory card(32mb?) will hold every map you'll ever need in NA. Fit's in your pocket nicely too. With the unit on the normal battery will last days w/o changing. Couple things to note "all GPS" mapping software needs windoze for an OS so if you have a Mac expect extra grief. One plus of the Delorme is that if you have a Mac and can't use the map software but have the big memory card installed and a high speed internet line in your house you can call their techs and buy their maps and your GPS is plugged in they'll send and load any maps you want via a dsl etc line. All in all I've found a GPS for land use a bigger PITA than they're worth but to each his own. I'd suggest start used and cheap and if you really find you use it a lot then up grade to one with the features you want. If you want stored POI's so you can just punch in "Find Starbucks" you'll need a higher end($$) unit. I like most Garmin units and the Delorme PN-60. I've used a Tom-Tom and it was ok. I've had a cheap Magellan and that POS couldn't find earth unless you dropped it. For more than you'll ever want to know regarding GPS opinions, make a big pot of coffee then go to the advrider web site, open the "Layin Down Tracks" forum, get comfy and read till you fall asleep.
Good luck.
Joe
014 GU
"I'm lost but I'm making good time."

barnone
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by barnone » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:59 pm

Android cell phone app called GPS Essentials and handle bar mount works for me.

Darkblood
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov
Location: Smithfield, Maine, now further into (Americas Siberia)

Post by Darkblood » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:54 pm

I have a garmin nuvi40lm and a Ram mount that I used to use. I now use my Samsung phone with a Ram Aqua box mount. Neither has been an issue (the phone occasionally loses signal)
2010 Gear Up. named феникс (phoenix)

Tin Man
Commissar
Commissar

Post by Tin Man » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:56 pm

With all the stuff that is GPS enabled you can let your checkbook be your guide. I suggest something that is Ram compatible. Can't do much better than a Ram mount. :foilhead:
Mike
2007 GearUp (Arctic #1)
130/45 jets, KTM rock solid mirrors, Delaware Dave's outstanding trunk lock, Mr. Cob's most excellent skid plate, Cycra Probend smashproof hand guards, Duro strong like bull 307's, RotoPax damn near bulletproof fuel cans, MKIII all but water proof air box and Dimples super duper magnetic drain plugs all around...oh yeah, and a manual fuel petcock.

.........if you see something that needs doing, just do it........

tx2sturgis
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by tx2sturgis » Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:28 am

Do you mainly want turn by turn directions when on-road or do you want off-road navigation also? Do you want a waterproof, fuelproof, rugged unit made for bikes that has Bluetooth integration for a helmet speaker or just a no frills cheapie that will last a year or two? Do you want lifetime map updates and traffic or not?

I can give recommendations but prefer to ask what your looking for and what the approx budget will be.

Generally speaking, motorcycle GPS units cost more than car units....
Rural Ural in Tulia Texas!

Current Ural: 2013 Ural Solo sT

Previous Ural: 2013 Ural Patrol

SmellyGoatBoy
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

GPS advice?

Post by SmellyGoatBoy » Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:36 am

Garmin Montana, basic package. Buy the topo map pack for your area. Ram mount, and a lockable Tour Tech mount. Expensive but the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2012 Gobi Gear Up
38/125 jets
2 shims on OE needles
MKIII airbox upgrade
Raceway Perch Rings
2013 Branch pipes

torque
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by torque » Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:51 am

tx2sturgis wrote:Do you mainly want turn by turn directions when on-road or do you want off-road navigation also? Do you want a waterproof, fuelproof, rugged unit made for bikes that has Bluetooth integration for a helmet speaker or just a no frills cheapie that will last a year or two? Do you want lifetime map updates and traffic or not?

I can give recommendations but prefer to ask what your looking for and what the approx budget will be.

Generally speaking, motorcycle GPS units cost more than car units....
Since I'm navigating some unfamiliar roads down here in southern Wv (our new home), mostly turn-by-turn. Not much off-road for now, but some of these mountain roads down here in wv would have been considered "off-road" up in Ohio where we came from. Not so much concerned about the water-proof, fuel-proof issues. Unit would double for use in the car on longer trips. Want to keep toward the lower end of the price spectrum for now. I figure if we can get 2-3 years' usage from it we may be ready for an upgrade by then if we use it a lot.

on2wheels52
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by on2wheels52 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:16 am

Mine come through the pawnshop :D
I've messed with a few, prefer the Garmins.
Jim
'10 Patrol, gone
DL650/Ural tub CB500X WR250R plus a few old crocks

stagewex

Post by stagewex » Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:41 pm

Waze and my iPhone have made my Garmin completely obsolete. And it's free. Perhaps for off-road purposes only.
And where there is no cell service and/or satellite theres always a "Map".
Stagewex

2019 Honda CRF450L (Elec Start)
2008 Vespa 150S (Elec & Kick Start)
2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only)

silvergoose
Comrade
Comrade

Post by silvergoose » Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:53 pm

Garmin Zumo series is IMO are very tough and waterproof. Garmin still supports this unit even though it is no longer in the current product line up.

I have more than 100,000 miles of motorcycle travel on my units and to date no infield failures. On unit was sent back to Garmin and was replaced by a refurbished model for around $100.00.

GPS units designed for cars do not hold up to the vibration, water (direct or splash) and above that the screen covering does not like gloved fingers.

Good Luck

Tin Man
Commissar
Commissar

Post by Tin Man » Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:45 pm

Here's my Garmin 60 Cx in it's Ram mount along with it's aux power cord. Been all over Hell and Creation and lived to tell the tale. Weatherproof and ruggedized. Useful on foot, bicycle, boat or automobile. Uses AA batteries and has survived all of the rough-assed roads that I have thrown its way. If I need to leave the rig unattended, it snaps off the Ram mount in seconds to be safely stored in the trunk or my pocket. As you can see, I do keep a "screen protector" on it....otherwise it is bone stock. And for me, I always choose a GPS with a back-tracking feature..... :foilhead:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike
2007 GearUp (Arctic #1)
130/45 jets, KTM rock solid mirrors, Delaware Dave's outstanding trunk lock, Mr. Cob's most excellent skid plate, Cycra Probend smashproof hand guards, Duro strong like bull 307's, RotoPax damn near bulletproof fuel cans, MKIII all but water proof air box and Dimples super duper magnetic drain plugs all around...oh yeah, and a manual fuel petcock.

.........if you see something that needs doing, just do it........

4Paws
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin
Location: Greensboro NC or milepost 199 on the BRP (Fancy Gap VA)

GPS advice?

Post by 4Paws » Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:44 pm

Using a Garmin with ram mount and love it. I always take the back way anywhere and use the gps primarily as a scrolling map to see what's coming up and if the next road is a long one. Generally study the route prior to leaving the house and have a general idea where destination is so rarely follow gps directions. When I walk away from the bike I put the gps in the trunk or my pocket. Tried using a smart phone but cell service sucks in the boonies.
Using a $100 Garmin.
Dan
2012 Retro,Honda CB1100, CB500X,Can-Am Spyder (wife's, honest!)
Best thing I've learned from my dog: "never pass up the opportunity to go for a joyride"

torque
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by torque » Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:52 pm

4Paws wrote:Using a Garmin with ram mount and love it. I always take the back way anywhere and use the gps primarily as a scrolling map to see what's coming up and if the next road is a long one. Generally study the route prior to leaving the house and have a general idea where destination is so rarely follow gps directions. When I walk away from the bike I put the gps in the trunk or my pocket. Tried using a smart phone but cell service sucks in the boonies.
Using a $100 Garmin.
Perfect! That's exactly what I was thinking.

barnone
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by barnone » Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:48 pm

4Paws wrote:Tried using a smart phone but cell service sucks in the boonies.
My smart phone uses multiple satellites not cell coverage for navigation.