Looking at importing a bike

Newbies, introduce yourself here. Are you thinking about getting one and have questions? Ask your basic questions here. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of The Greasy Wrench" section.
Forum rules
Here's the place for those who are newb or thinking about buying a Ural or Dnepr to introduce themselves ask those typical "newbie" questions. Try using the "Search" link at the top of the page to see if your question may have been asked before. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of the Greasy Wrench" section.
Doc
Comrade General
Comrade General

Re: Looking at importing a bike

Post by Doc » Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:15 am

save yourself all the headaches involved with this deal.

Do yourself a favor and buy a brand new 2014-15 Ural and ride it like you stole it.
:cheers:
HMCS(DSW/SCW) USN Retired
2015 Ural Gear-Up
2003 Indian Chief
Iron Indian Riders Association
"IF YOU CAN'T DODGE IT, RAM IT"
http://s145.photobucket.com/home/satdiver00/index
Las Vegas, NV :cheers:

kalkkuna

Post by kalkkuna » Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:34 am

Lee Pape wrote:If it happens to be the 750 flathead it will only have 25 horsepower at best. figure on no more then 40 mph out of it.
Flatheads are FUN, but not for 1st bike. 40mph is safe but usually try reach higher until 50mph. But they can go faster :)

Here is HiSpeed final for one of my SV...
poxvaan.jpg
...and when removed cylinder a bit harder trouble arrived.
kovapala.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BigJames
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by BigJames » Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:14 pm

First, the bikes may be old enough that only folks living in states that require titles on ancient stuff (pre 1964 I can't even get a title in Georgia, period and pre-1984 they would rather not even mess with it.) are not a problem getting registered just takes a little creativity and a bill of sale in English. Saying that, I've actually heard of these guys and they do good work. But I would still run away. If I lived in Eastern Europe, buy in a heart beat! Any M72 variant is not going to be a good daily rider in the US even if it were brand new packed in cosmolene and built with BMW R71 parts. Matter of fact an R71 would make a lousy daily driver nowadays, our daily usage in this country far exceeds what the original designer envisioned, unless you drive less then 45 all the time and never for more than an hour or so at top speed at a time. If you want a daily driver Ural, pay more than $3700 and get a post 2007. Older ones ok too, for what they are, but may be at their current age and design limitations not the best choice as a daily driver. 'bout as diplomatic as I can put that.
BigJames
19 Ural Gear Up
11 Ural Retro (108K and counting)
95/79 Bural Sportsman (Myrtle)
88 HD FLHS Watsonian Cambridge (232K and counting)
51 HD Servicar

littlea53

Post by littlea53 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:12 am

Thanks for the replies everyone. I just learned that there is a Ural dealer not too far from me, and I've decided against the import.

Now with that in mind, can anybody explain the difference between the Patrol and the Patrol T?

Lee Pape
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by Lee Pape » Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:07 am

The Patrol "T" will not have any extras on it. It will be the bike and sidecar only. No windshields, spare tire, spare tire rack, gas cans, sidecar cover. All of these things can be added later if you want them. I bet it is a little cheaper to buy a Patrol then to buy a patrol "T" and then make it into a Patrol.

This has been my grip when they did away with the Tourist and just went to the "T". Sure is gets people in at a cheaper price point so they can sell more bikes. But then as the new owners start to add to their bike the company and dealers make more money off the sale of each item.
We may not have it all together,
But, together we have it all.

2007 Tourist "The un-named-one"
Riding and working on Urals since 2000.

Scott
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by Scott » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:53 pm

Scott Pell
gspell68@gmail.com
http://sites.google.com/site/foilheadz/
1951 KMZ K-750 (The Bull, БУЛ)
1962 KMZ K-750 (The Beast, БИСТ)
1959 IMZ M-72M Solo Rust Buc-Kit Bike

Cheap - Reliable - Fast
Pick any 2 and the other one won't apply!