How Safe?

Newbies, introduce yourself here. Are you thinking about getting one and have questions? Ask your basic questions here. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of The Greasy Wrench" section.
Forum rules
Here's the place for those who are newb or thinking about buying a Ural or Dnepr to introduce themselves ask those typical "newbie" questions. Try using the "Search" link at the top of the page to see if your question may have been asked before. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of the Greasy Wrench" section.
tonered
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Re: How Safe?

Post by tonered » Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:12 pm

My first bike had bar-mounted mirrors. It was one of the biggest issues. I wanted a faired bike because the mirrors, mounted further away, had much better coverage for commuting. I didn't think that I would ever have a bike that I could ride daily with confidence if it had bar-mounted mirrors, until this helmet came along:

http://www.reevu.com/

With in the first week it was saving me money as a cop tried to sneak up on my other bike. It also saved my a$$ when I stopped at a crosswalk and the car coming up behind me wasn't. I was able to bolt to the clear left lane just in time.

This helmet makes riding the Ural on fast roads a breeze. One thing though, they have a full face and a flip up version. Both have the rear optic inlet oriented for a sportbike / sporttouring posture, a bit of forward lean. So while riding the Ural, I have to dip my head just a bit to get a clear view to the rear. I've asked them several times to come up with a beaked DS version. Maybe someday. . .

The other thing is that this helmet allows me to set the bike mirrors very wide, so I have a 360deg view, a car coming up behind and passing is always visible either be in the mirrors or in my vision. Zero blind spot.

Have a good one.
tony b
Lynnwood, WA
2013 GearUp (Taildragger)
2001 Duc ST4 (Thumper)

retmotor
Comrade
Comrade

Post by retmotor » Mon May 04, 2015 2:04 am

Old thread i know, but Doc is basically screwed going north to Utah. He has to get on I-15. Doc, you'll find most truck traffic does around 65MPH on that stretch of the interstate. My buddy rides his 650 at 65 to Utah and he has a Samurai that he drives 60. I've test run the car at 65 a few times and I'm running with the trucks usually.

You can take The Boulevard out to I-15, cross under the freeway and that turns into an access road that parallels 15 and will take you to 93. You get to miss the grade to Apex that way, so it is highly recommended. Get on 15 to the Bunkerville exit, SR170, and take that into Mesquite. Watch out for Bundy's cattle there. Seriously. I see them on the road there.

I'm 90% sure you can take that side road on the east side of 15 to Beaver and then take old 91 into St George via Santa Clara -- a much better ride than dealing with the nutty drivers in the gorge, imho. If you're still watching this thread I'll confirm that Mesquite to Beaver leg next time we're out that way.
Looking for a Retro/M70 (I think).

Norms 427
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by Norms 427 » Mon May 04, 2015 10:56 am

I just returned from a X-country trip in a cage ... Spokane, WA, to Savannah, GA, and return. To my surprise there are now large sections of interstate in Idaho, Utah, Wyoming, South Dakota, and I believe Nebraska where the limits are now 80 mph. Some of those states allow truckers to also go 80 mph.

I would not hesitate to ride my Ural 55 to 60 on those highways because the traffic is usually light on those sections and the highways have limited access, etc. But I think I'd go to a bicycle shop and get a couple of those battery powered flashers and put them on the back of me or my rig.

What concerns me more is going through Chicago as I did last year on 2 wheels. Geez, now that's scary.
SOLD my 2011 Ural Patrol Orange w 22,000 km. RR to Alaska: http://www.sovietsteeds.com/forums/view ... lit=alaska \\ '09 kawasaki KLR 650 Red \\ '85 Yamaha VMAX Maroon bought new \\ '05 Harley Heritage Softail Turquoise wife's ride \\ '14 HD Road King

I wasn't ready to say good-bye: http://www.shaunlunt.typepad.com

Image Avg MPG since Aug, 2011 after my return from Alaska, GPS corrected, stock carb jetting (122/40) + 2 shims.

Doc
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by Doc » Tue May 05, 2015 2:57 am

Well when I rode to Flagstaff I did stay on the interstate the whole way. Definitely need the hazard light flasher unit installed, but it was really not an issue riding between 55-65 mph. Going to Utah doesn't leave you much choice but to take the I-15. Maybe when I come home in August I will take a ride to Zion National Park and see how it goes.
HMCS(DSW/SCW) USN Retired
2015 Ural Gear-Up
2003 Indian Chief
Iron Indian Riders Association
"IF YOU CAN'T DODGE IT, RAM IT"
http://s145.photobucket.com/home/satdiver00/index
Las Vegas, NV :cheers:

BigJames
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by BigJames » Tue May 05, 2015 9:06 pm

then there is me who regularly ride my Retro with flat land gearing on the slab at legal speeds all the time without problem! I also have around 200K miles on several sidecars, so I am not right any way! They are better off the slab, but a properly set up rig (that is key!) can be ridden anywhere.
BigJames
19 Ural Gear Up
11 Ural Retro (108K and counting)
95/79 Bural Sportsman (Myrtle)
88 HD FLHS Watsonian Cambridge (232K and counting)
51 HD Servicar

sagerat
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Post by sagerat » Wed May 06, 2015 12:59 pm

Doc wrote:Well when I rode to Flagstaff I did stay on the interstate the whole way. Definitely need the hazard light flasher unit installed, but it was really not an issue riding between 55-65 mph. Going to Utah doesn't leave you much choice but to take the I-15.
At least that section of I-15 is one of the prettier sections of the supeslab as you go through Virgin River Canyon.
2004 Ural Tourist (2004-2018, 48,000 klicks)

2012 Ural Gobi (Forward to the horizon)

2009 BMW R1200GS Adventure (KIA, sniff)

2017 Kawasaki KLR650 (Semi-orphaned by Urals)

Z-Man
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by Z-Man » Wed May 27, 2015 1:57 pm

You're less likely to be involved in an accident on the highway with all the traffic going in one direction than you are on a road with two way traffic. The majority of accidents involving another vehicle are either front end collisions or the other vehicle making a left turn in front of you, which aren't going to happen on a highway. Yes, people do stupid things on the highway, but if you're observant you can read them and avoid them. The speed differential can be disconcerting but it's not a major contributing factor.
'10 Ural Gear-Up (другая женщина the "Other Woman")
K&N Air Filter, Gossie Needles, 127.5/42 Jets, past 20K km and running strong. Someone stole my cats.
What broke and needed fixing: speedometer gear, hack stub shaft.
"Ride today, because you don't know what tomorrow brings"