Klunking out at intersections and stops....

Newbies, introduce yourself here. Are you thinking about getting one and have questions? Ask your basic questions here. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of The Greasy Wrench" section.
Forum rules
Here's the place for those who are newb or thinking about buying a Ural or Dnepr to introduce themselves ask those typical "newbie" questions. Try using the "Search" link at the top of the page to see if your question may have been asked before. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of the Greasy Wrench" section.
BeardedLadyManda
Party Member
Party Member

Klunking out at intersections and stops....

Post by BeardedLadyManda » Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:02 pm

Hey guys,

I am having a problem and thought one of two things: 1. I'm an idiot and don't know my bike very well yet; or 2. Some adjusting may be due.

At stops (after the engine is warm and the enricheners are closed {pushed in}) the bike revs down to the point of klunking out! Not only embarassing and damaging to the ego but frustrating. I have to keep the throttle turned just slightly. I had been out on a 45 minute ride when it happened at an intersection....?

Any thoughts?

:bow:
"No need for the red hot pokers, hell is in other people". --Jean Paul Sarte

2011 Ural T (named King Kong 2)

co_g30
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Re: Klunking out at intersections and stops....

Post by co_g30 » Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:15 pm

BeardedLadyManda wrote:Hey guys,

I am having a problem and thought one of two things: 1. I'm an idiot and don't know my bike very well yet; or 2. Some adjusting may be due.

At stops (after the engine is warm and the enricheners are closed {pushed in}) the bike revs down to the point of klunking out! Not only embarassing and damaging to the ego but frustrating. I have to keep the throttle turned just slightly. I had been out on a 45 minute ride when it happened at an intersection....?

Any thoughts?

:bow:
If I recall correctly, back in the day when I had a carbureted URAL....I had the same happen to me, the theory is that with warmer weather, there is less oxygen in the air, and the mixture for the carbs is now a bit too rich. (too much fuel)....causing the engine rpm's to drop to the point the engine quits (this is why your rolling on a bit of throttle while stopped kept things going as you were adding air into the mixture). I fixed it by turning the idle fuel mixture screw under the carbs a 1/4 turn CCW with the engine warmed up.

I say the engine warmed up because if 1/4 CCW is not being recalled correctly by me, then you'll immediately see the RPMs drop and the bike die. In that case try CW 1/4 instead. You do this equally on both carburetors of course and if possible balance them with the method of your choice.

HTH

dom
CO_G30
2014 Ural Patrol "Scarlett"
1999 Ural Patrol "Fiona" with '84 R80 engine.
1987 BMW R80 "Brigitta"
2006 Yamaha TW200 "Yagi"
http://redlegsrides.blogspot.com
https://www.facebook.com/redlegsrides

nbsdave
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by nbsdave » Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:44 am

I may be the least likely guy to give carb advice as I'm dealing with an issue myself.
But, you should not need to use the enricheners this time of year.
I think looking at the idle mixture screws as co said would be a good place to start and maybe your idle is too low.
Not to worry, someone who actually knows what they're talking about will be along soon with good advice.
keep your word, no excuses
Ural-it's not just another motorcycle!
2011 Ural T, now only a memory

Albuquralque
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by Albuquralque » Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:26 am

I think step one would be to adjust your idle when the engine is good and warm. Adjust it so the bike idles at 900 - 1000 rpm.

Oh, and make sure you balance your carbs at idle when making the adjustment as well!
Last edited by Albuquralque on Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Put a little gravel in your travel"

Previous Urals Owned: 2004 Wolf, 2006 Tourist, 2006 Patrol (TOW), 2006 Patrol (TOM), 2014 Patrol

rivers
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Post by rivers » Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:52 pm

Coluralado wrote:I think step one would be to adjust your idle when the engine is good and warm. Adjust it so the bike idles at 900 - 1000 rpm.
x2
You want your idle speed set up for warm normal most in use running condition, not just for during a temporary start/warm up scenario.
Joe
014 GU
"I'm lost but I'm making good time."

Scott
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by Scott » Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:43 pm

I'd be willing to bet you're only running on one cylinder.
Maybe fuel starvation?
Scott Pell
gspell68@gmail.com
http://sites.google.com/site/foilheadz/
1951 KMZ K-750 (The Bull, БУЛ)
1962 KMZ K-750 (The Beast, БИСТ)
1959 IMZ M-72M Solo Rust Buc-Kit Bike

Cheap - Reliable - Fast
Pick any 2 and the other one won't apply!

Reync
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by Reync » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:02 am

Check the timing as well. I had a similar issue which I compensated for by increasing the idle with the idle adjustment screw in order to get home. I watched Coluralado's timing video (for a ducati ignition, not sure it's relevant to you) and then adjusted my timing. The idle rpms came back up and I backed the idle screws back out to their original position. Runs like a top now!
2012 Yamal

BeardedLadyManda
Party Member
Party Member

Post by BeardedLadyManda » Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:42 am

Thanks for all the suggestions guys!
"No need for the red hot pokers, hell is in other people". --Jean Paul Sarte

2011 Ural T (named King Kong 2)

tonered
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by tonered » Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:06 pm

For me, I've found that my seasonal carb adjustment usually requires adding a shim under the needle for summer weather and removing that shim for winter weather. For both of the carb'ed bikes that I've had, that alone was all that was necessary for what felt like a great running motor otherwise.

Beyond that, for all my bikes, a carb / throttle body sync at operating temps fixed many issues that felt like bad air / fuel mixtures, esp near idle RPMs.

Have a good one.
tony b
Lynnwood, WA
2013 GearUp (Taildragger)
2001 Duc ST4 (Thumper)

Robert

Post by Robert » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:24 pm

I had the same problem with my bike when first delivered. My simple fix was to screw in the idle screws on both carbies. From memory it took 1 turn. Now I have no issues.
2013 Tourist (with chair on LHS) Reverse gear lever, Givi driver's screen, Storm handguards, 1" H/bar risers

BinDerSmokDat

Post by BinDerSmokDat » Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:46 am

+1 for increasing the idle a tad.
Solved identical issue for me.