Ural T vs everything else (well, for me, at least)

Newbies, introduce yourself here. Are you thinking about getting one and have questions? Ask your basic questions here. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of The Greasy Wrench" section.
Forum rules
Here's the place for those who are newb or thinking about buying a Ural or Dnepr to introduce themselves ask those typical "newbie" questions. Try using the "Search" link at the top of the page to see if your question may have been asked before. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of the Greasy Wrench" section.
planeflyer21
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Re: Ural T vs everything else (well, for me, at least)

Post by planeflyer21 » Mon May 26, 2014 10:33 pm

I understand the mirror imaging of it. But if it isn't mandatory, why not get a 2-wheel drive hack with the car on the right?
Jon

2Tim2:15

BMW 1983 R80ST Project

Ironhorse Sa
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by Ironhorse Sa » Tue May 27, 2014 1:59 am

tx2sturgis wrote:
planeflyer21 wrote:For all you Commonwealthers, is it government mandated that your sidecars be mounted on the left side?
Any country where the standard practice is to drive on the left, (Japan, England, Australia, others) with the steering wheel on the right side of normal cars, then the sidecar (of a new rig) will be on the left. This keeps the driver of the rig to the right side of the vehicle.

Urals dont have a drive hub on the left side of the rear wheel, so there is no practical way to provide a driveshaft to the left sidecar wheel.
Correct!
Believe me, we have had the rig looked over by engineers to figure out a way to make it 2WD, no luck. Guess I have to move to the US :D
2013 Retro - the dude-
2013 Tourist - the red baron-
2012 Tourist - TINTIN -
2011 Gear Up - Obelix-
http://www.uralsidecartours.co.za
Facebook; uralsidecartours
Remember,- he who dies with the most toys, - still dies!
My Ural does not leak oil, - it sweats horsepower!
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car-window.
Johannesburg
South Africa

Kilometers2
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by Kilometers2 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:52 am

TNeto wrote: I'm not so convinced on the spotlight, and what about the spare wheel? Isn't that for the sidecar only? I'd expect most punctures to occur in the drive wheel. I also don't expect to use a shovel much.

- T.
I had a 2007 Gear Up that I took off road a lot along forest roads etc... tightened down the spot light so that it acted as a second headlight, and although not DOT approved as a headlight in the U.S., I left it on all the time I was on the highway. Never had an issue and the extra light at night was wonderful.

Miles
2014 Patrol
2007 Gear Up - sold
Miles aka Kilometers

Uralless for 3 years and regretting it the last 2 years I have owned a Doberman. Thinking of coming back rather than hacking the Harley...there is just something about Urals, this forum, and the 2WD I used infrequently while camping.....

Formerly owned 2007 GU, 2014 Patrol, and 2016 GU

Swain snow
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Swain snow » Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:30 pm

A slight difference here is that a side car can be on either side legally since it is considered bolt on xtra like panniers.DEFINITION:
Side-car
A car, box or other receptacle attached to the side of a motorcycle and supported by a wheel.

Straight from Govt Regs
JSSM
1990 R80 GS/Chinese (Ural lookalike) sidecar

kontaz
Comrade
Comrade

Post by kontaz » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:55 pm

tx2sturgis wrote:
planeflyer21 wrote:For all you Commonwealthers, is it government mandated that your sidecars be mounted on the left side?
Any country where the standard practice is to drive on the left, (Japan, England, Australia, others) with the steering wheel on the right side of normal cars, then the sidecar (of a new rig) will be on the left. This keeps the driver of the rig to the right side of the vehicle.

Urals dont have a drive hub on the left side of the rear wheel, so there is no practical way to provide a driveshaft to the left sidecar wheel.
Here in Japan, they sell them with the sidecar mounted on the right. I'm not sure why since they sell left-mounted rigs in the commonwealth countries as you pointed out. I'm gonna investigate and find out what the reasoning is. Will report back.
2007 Ural Retro
Tokyo