Ural T vs everything else (well, for me, at least)

Newbies, introduce yourself here. Are you thinking about getting one and have questions? Ask your basic questions here. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of The Greasy Wrench" section.
Forum rules
Here's the place for those who are newb or thinking about buying a Ural or Dnepr to introduce themselves ask those typical "newbie" questions. Try using the "Search" link at the top of the page to see if your question may have been asked before. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of the Greasy Wrench" section.
TNeto

Post by TNeto » Sat May 24, 2014 6:16 am

Hi all

I've been longing to get a Ural and nearly pulled the trigger on a few older rigs that came up for sale in the classifieds in the past couple of years. Luckily I didn't do so, as I can now pull the trigger for a 2014 EFI model.

This, however, poses a few problems: the two dealers in my country aren't very informative (well, one is, the other is just plain bad at his job). I still have no idea what the differences are between a Ranger or a T 2WD, apart from what you can actually see in the photos.

That being said, I intend to use the rig for doing pretty much the same I do with my BMW thumper, but carrying someone else along for more fun :) I won't tour the world in one go, but weekend trips are going to be frequent, and moderate offroading pretty much a given fact.

Thus, I can appreciate the usefulness of the hack boot rack, and going off road makes the front hack bumper and engine guards sensible choices. I'm not so convinced on the spotlight, and what about the spare wheel? Isn't that for the sidecar only? I'd expect most punctures to occur in the drive wheel. I also don't expect to use a shovel much.

There is a price difference, but not so great as not to justify the whole load of stuff the Ranger brings along with it - the question is: is it really needed? What's your experience with it?

From what I can see, most guys around with Urals seem to be on Rangers, which end up being sold with relatively few miles for unreasonably high prices. I am yet to see a T on the road or in a dealer.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

- T.

Lokiboy
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Re: Ural T vs everything else (well, for me, at least)

Post by Lokiboy » Sat May 24, 2014 6:40 am

Welcome and have fun with whatever you buy. Where are you located?

Go to the Ural we page, there you can view a comparison chart detailing the similarities and differences offered.

Do a search on this site. There are a lot of threads on the pros and cons of 1 wheel vs. 2 wheel. In a nutshell it comes down to affordability, what type of riding do you anticipate and what options/colors are you drawn to.

http://www.imz-ural.com

Good luck
2011 Gear Up - "Erika"
Yorktown, VA

Mains: 127, Idle: 40, Needle: 1 shim
MKIII air filter
100,000 km and counting

TNeto

Post by TNeto » Sat May 24, 2014 8:00 am

Thanks, but I'm in Portugal, so I have to look at the European website.

The models look similar, but have different names and the more responsive dealer told me not to guide myself by the US site, as there would be differences. Sadly www.ural.cc has little information about the 2014 models, and still haven't replied to my queries.

Tiago

nbsdave
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by nbsdave » Sat May 24, 2014 8:53 am

you get a model there that we don't- a T with 2wd.
Your BMW doesn't have 2wd so unless you are changing where/how you ride, you may not need 2wd. My 1wd T has amazed me as to where it takes me (and brings me back from!).
If it's colors and other stuff you want then the Ranger would be the way to go. If black works, get the T or TWD and add only the extras you actually want/need.
keep your word, no excuses
Ural-it's not just another motorcycle!
2011 Ural T, now only a memory

TNeto

Post by TNeto » Sat May 24, 2014 9:20 am

@nbsdave:

Well, I'd be very surprised if the beemer had 2WD, considering it has only one wheel out back :) It's the smallest GS, and a vastly underrated motorcycle. I do tend to put it in very inadequate situations, though, mostly by lack of good judgment by me. 2WD would be very very nice to have for my winter getaways, which often involve copious amounts of mud, and one or two new streams across the track that weren't there during the rest of the year. Hell, with a sidecar I may even go ahead and get out with snow, which I can't do now!

I don't really care about the pretty colors (although the blue one is pretty great) - I value function over form, and the T is pretty damn good looking as it is. I imagine I'd need:

- Hand protectors
- Heated grips
- Engine guards & rig front bumper
- Sidecar Rack

... and there's a guy on ADVRider that I believe makes a bash plate for Urals. Best farkle I put on my mini-GS, bar none.

The MRSP difference between the Ranger (think US Gear-up) and the T2WD is about EUR 1,800 (~2,500 USD). For those more in the know, do you guys think that's a fair price difference for what I can already see as differences between the models (rack, spare wheel, bumpers, spotlight, engine guards, fuel canister and shovel)?

Albuquralque
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by Albuquralque » Sat May 24, 2014 10:05 am

Ifn the T is truly 2WD, I would opt for that and just buy the accessories you want to put on it. $2500 US can buy a lot of farkles.

The spare wheel is made to interchange with the pusher, which is the one that mostly goes flat. Plus if you have the spare wheel, you will always have a spare tire and tube on the bike.
"Put a little gravel in your travel"

Previous Urals Owned: 2004 Wolf, 2006 Tourist, 2006 Patrol (TOW), 2006 Patrol (TOM), 2014 Patrol

TNeto

Post by TNeto » Sat May 24, 2014 10:12 am

Coluralado wrote:Ifn the T is truly 2WD, I would opt for that and just buy the accessories you want to put on it. $2500 US can buy a lot of farkles.

The spare wheel is made to interchange with the pusher, which is the one that mostly goes flat. Plus if you have the spare wheel, you will always have a spare tire and tube on the bike.

Ha, I didn't know that - I would have thought the whole drive assembly thingy would preclude using it as a pusher. Now the question is - would it be faster to replace the tube or the pusher wheel?

Albuquralque
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by Albuquralque » Sat May 24, 2014 10:18 am

If you are talking strictly the pusher wheel/tire.....if you have a fully functional spare, it would be faster to remove the old wheel/tire and install the spare wheel/tire.

Then you could replace the bad one at your leisure.
"Put a little gravel in your travel"

Previous Urals Owned: 2004 Wolf, 2006 Tourist, 2006 Patrol (TOW), 2006 Patrol (TOM), 2014 Patrol

SmellyGoatBoy
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by SmellyGoatBoy » Sat May 24, 2014 10:31 am

Same bikes, ranger just has more accessories. My spot light is rarely used, but the added fuse box for more electric accessories is a must. If you add up the price for the extra accessories you get with the ranger, it's a good deal.
2012 Gobi Gear Up
38/125 jets
2 shims on OE needles
MKIII airbox upgrade
Raceway Perch Rings
2013 Branch pipes

TNeto

Post by TNeto » Sat May 24, 2014 10:42 am

SmellyGoatBoy wrote:Same bikes, ranger just has more accessories. My spot light is rarely used, but the added fuse box for more electric accessories is a must. If you add up the price for the extra accessories you get with the ranger, it's a good deal.
Good to know about that fuse box (doesn't show up in the 2014 Euro website descriptions). Thanks!

rivers

Post by rivers » Sat May 24, 2014 11:18 am

Other than Euro/USA safety/smog specs and available colors I think the bikes are pretty much the same for both markets they just have different names. I have no idea what a Ranger is but suspect it's what we get here as a Gear UP. Never Been to IMZ's Euro web site but the USA site has a US model comparison page. If the Euro site doesn't have the same talk to the importer.
Joe
014 GU
"I'm lost but I'm making good time."

TNeto

Post by TNeto » Sat May 24, 2014 11:38 am

rivers wrote:Other than Euro/USA safety/smog specs and available colors I think the bikes are pretty much the same for both markets they just have different names. I have no idea what a Ranger is but suspect it's what we get here as a Gear UP. Never Been to IMZ's Euro web site but the USA site has a US model comparison page. If the Euro site doesn't have the same talk to the importer.

Thanks for the reply. I thought as much - the problem is the importer basically described what I could see by the pictures alone, and still managed to describe a color scheme that is no longer available for 2014. At any rate, that was much better than the closest dealer (45 minutes away from me), where the sales guy didn't care much for me being there on the floor, and when he did he care to spend a minute of his time with me, he was blissfully unaware of the 2014 models and tried to pitch me that a Ranger he had on the floor (with a flat tire) was a great solo bike when the sidecar was detached, which was "an easy thing to do". I thanked him and walked out the door, vowing not to return again (I had gone there with money in hand to buy a bike from him when I spotted the Ural - missed 2 birds with one stone, he did).

This leaves me with one dealer (the importer), 4 hours away to deal with, which was very nice and courteous, but not overly explanative on the models, and they don't have any new ones in stock as of yet. Gahh...

- T.

rivers

Post by rivers » Sat May 24, 2014 12:51 pm

TNeto wrote:
This leaves me with one dealer (the importer), 4 hours away to deal with, which was very nice and courteous, but not overly explanative on the models, and they don't have any new ones in stock as of yet. Gahh...
- T.
Kinda similar over here. Very few of us live near a "good" dealer but the US importer on the other hand is VERY knowledgable about what they sell through their dealers. Another likely similarity is don't expect to find the full range of new Urals on the dealers sales floor. It's a big investment for the dealer so they generally only floor models they can sell quickly so yeah they all push the ones they have in stock. Don't expect a big choice to pick from on the showroom floor. Over here you pretty much gotta know what you want, pay a down payment, do the paperwork, then the dealer orders it. If it's in the east coast warehouse(3,000 miles away) it takes a week to get to the dealer plus dealer set up time.
Regarding my suggestion "talking to the importer". I don't mean the dealer bringing them into Portugal, I mean the main Euro importer which I'm guessing is in Germany? The Euro importer "should" have a very solid handle on the new models.
Joe
014 GU
"I'm lost but I'm making good time."

TNeto

Post by TNeto » Sat May 24, 2014 1:20 pm

rivers wrote: Regarding my suggestion "talking to the importer". I don't mean the dealer bringing them into Portugal, I mean the main Euro importer which I'm guessing is in Germany? The Euro importer "should" have a very solid handle on the new models.
Yes, I sent them an e-mail a couple of days ago, they're based in Austria near Linz. I'll wait a bit more and if I get no reply I may take the change to deoxidize my German.

Cheers,

- T.

BigJames
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by BigJames » Sat May 24, 2014 11:24 pm

I feel for you on the dealer thing. The one 100 miles from me has also been my BMW dealer. The owner is a friend, the shop is not. Use a dealer 600 miles away, bought the bike from one 1300 miles away! I am Pretty sure Ranger=Patrol and the rest of the names are the same. 2WD T is a Patrol T here... Something about that Patrol name and Europe I guess...bad connotation maybe?
BigJames
19 Ural Gear Up
11 Ural Retro (108K and counting)
95/79 Bural Sportsman (Myrtle)
88 HD FLHS Watsonian Cambridge (232K and counting)
51 HD Servicar