New to both Ural/Dnepr AND MCs

Newbies, introduce yourself here. Are you thinking about getting one and have questions? Ask your basic questions here. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of The Greasy Wrench" section.
Forum rules
Here's the place for those who are newb or thinking about buying a Ural or Dnepr to introduce themselves ask those typical "newbie" questions. Try using the "Search" link at the top of the page to see if your question may have been asked before. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of the Greasy Wrench" section.
smoothmachines
Comrade
Comrade

Re: New to both Ural/Dnepr AND MCs

Post by smoothmachines » Thu May 01, 2014 3:25 pm

Thanks! so i could use any manuals related to the MT9 for the motor?
Your page Scott, seems the most infomative for starting and setting a machine as a newbie...
The sidecar is sure a Dnepr, you move the backrest for access to the trunk, that is not as good a solution as on the Ural but if i understood right the Dnepr MT9 motor is a superior engine to the Ural?

Scott
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by Scott » Thu May 01, 2014 7:09 pm

Yep.
I had to make up the website for myself because I have a tendency to forget stuff and I have to break it down to the simplest level because I'm not real smart, either!

And yes, the Dnepr 650cc is supposed to be superior in design to the Ural 650cc, but not necessarily superior in implementation of the design!
A lot of the guys in the U.K. and Australia swear that the K-650/MT-9 bikes were the best Soviet bikes made.

Also on your bike, it looks like you have a first generation Dnepr-matic gearbox.
See: http://www.sovietsteeds.com/galleries/d ... =12&pos=39
Scott Pell
gspell68@gmail.com
http://sites.google.com/site/foilheadz/
1951 KMZ K-750 (The Bull, БУЛ)
1962 KMZ K-750 (The Beast, БИСТ)
1959 IMZ M-72M Solo Rust Buc-Kit Bike

Cheap - Reliable - Fast
Pick any 2 and the other one won't apply!

smoothmachines
Comrade
Comrade

Post by smoothmachines » Fri May 02, 2014 1:05 am

I will have to make a choice... I´ve got an extra gearbox with reverse that is said to be very pratical too.
But, i´ve read the frame was extendet at some point to be able to fit the gearbox so if my frame is early i may not be able to.
On the other end i will only ride dirt roads through the woods and it is not supposed to enter real cities.
I will be glad if it works at all.
Weather seems to clear up and if we have fair weather tomorrow i may just drive all the way to the Dnepr and give it (of course it will start) a first start.
But, i had to spend 10 hours non stop yesterday to exchange a front wheel bearing on that silly Ciroën Berligo of mine, kind of already mechanized my weekend wrenching quota away.
That is one of the reasons i´ve decided to go sidecar instead of 2cv or other vintage car, the rust is a factor to keep in mind here around, i had to heat up everything red to take apart, french iron quelle horreur!
Very good and generous idea to use the site as a down to business memo pad and share it, thank you!

dneprlover
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by dneprlover » Fri May 02, 2014 3:48 am

Scott wrote:Yep.
I had to make up the website for myself because I have a tendency to forget stuff and I have to break it down to the simplest level because I'm not real smart, either!

And yes, the Dnepr 650cc is supposed to be superior in design to the Ural 650cc, but not necessarily superior in implementation of the design!
A lot of the guys in the U.K. and Australia swear that the K-650/MT-9 bikes were the best Soviet bikes made.

Also on your bike, it looks like you have a first generation Dnepr-matic gearbox.
The MT9 motor is indeed acknowledged as the smoothest, most tractable and best made of the Dnepr series,
Last edited by dneprlover on Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Neval BMW/MT11 800cc hybrid, Neval 2wd MT10-36, Neval standard MT10-36, Neval MT16, another MT11, BMW/MB650 hybrid , K750m , MB750 and a standard MT10-36 outfit + 2 large sheds full of spares for them.

smoothmachines
Comrade
Comrade

Post by smoothmachines » Fri May 02, 2014 9:01 am

I´ve tried to find ignition "timing* and points setting information but i cannot find anything specific for the MT9 motor, could anybody give me a hint?

JohnBG
General Secretary
General Secretary

Post by JohnBG » Fri May 02, 2014 9:22 am

smoothmachines wrote:I´ve tried to find ignition "timing* and points setting information but i cannot find anything specific for the MT9 motor, could anybody give me a hint?
Sorry I don't have Dnepr so I might not be much help.

You might have better success asking specific questions in the Order of the Greasy Wrench/General Hammerin' & Wrenchin' section. :wink:
John Grocke aka "JohnBG"
Site Administrator - sovietsteeds.com

Current Rides:
'06 Ural Raven - "Vorona"
'09 Kawasaki KLR650 - "Madea"

History:
'98.5 Ural Tourist - "Valentina" - Gone but not forgotten.
2002 Harley Road King FLHPI
1997 Harley Electra Glide FLHTPI
Honda Nighthawk 650 from the mid-80's
1980 Suzuki RM125T
1970 Honda CL100

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle.” ― Hunter S. Thompson

Scott
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by Scott » Fri May 02, 2014 9:30 am

dneprlover wrote:
Scott wrote:Yep.

The MT9 motor is indeed acknowledged as the smoothest, most tractable and best made of the Dnepr series, unfortunately, they are all old now.
Gearbox is the early standard box without reverse, does not have any foot clutch capability and has a hand change lever on the right hand side. Was fitted to both Dnepr and Ural models and is about 3/8" shorter that the reverse boxes. Dnepr frames are different lengths to accommodate different gearboxes, this does not apply to Urals and you will have driveshaft/doughnut problems if you fit a 'Dneprmatic' gearbox . It can be done but is a PITA.

Do not mix up the makes, you have read about Dnepr frames, but you have a Ural one. The makes vary in many different ways so only use information relevant to the part of the bike you are working on. Using Ural engine information to work on a Dnepr one, can sometimes result in major damage.
Ooops.
You're right. I was looking at the gearbox from the top side shot and saw the cast-in air filter housing and assumed it was a complete Dnepr drive train swap with the Dnepr box attached to the Dnepr engine.
Scott Pell
gspell68@gmail.com
http://sites.google.com/site/foilheadz/
1951 KMZ K-750 (The Bull, БУЛ)
1962 KMZ K-750 (The Beast, БИСТ)
1959 IMZ M-72M Solo Rust Buc-Kit Bike

Cheap - Reliable - Fast
Pick any 2 and the other one won't apply!

dneprlover
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by dneprlover » Fri May 02, 2014 5:13 pm

set the points gap
Last edited by dneprlover on Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Neval BMW/MT11 800cc hybrid, Neval 2wd MT10-36, Neval standard MT10-36, Neval MT16, another MT11, BMW/MB650 hybrid , K750m , MB750 and a standard MT10-36 outfit + 2 large sheds full of spares for them.

smoothmachines
Comrade
Comrade

Post by smoothmachines » Sat May 03, 2014 2:25 am

Thanks all, member JPanyon linked to a repair manual right away, MT9 or MT10 scecific, very nice, it is even OCRed so it is searchable by word!
http://dc.communityprinters.com/Dnepr/O ... Manual.pdf

dneprlover, i did not understand the 20 thou thing so i looked it up and it turns to be in thousandth of an inch, 20 thou corresponding 0,5mm.
Funny i´ve never heard of that as a workshop mechanic but i almost never deal with exotic machinery within that scope of measurement, in other words an uppgrade to my millimeter everyday too! Thank you for that!

smoothmachines
Comrade
Comrade

Post by smoothmachines » Sat May 03, 2014 7:40 am

So it is fair weather and i´m on my way, armed with everything i need to tune/start Frankenbike!

smoothmachines
Comrade
Comrade

Post by smoothmachines » Sun May 04, 2014 9:04 am

Frankenbike is alive!
This must be the creepiest thing i ever drove.
Upp the hill the track leans very much to the left side of the bike.
So the bike went to the left and i could not for my life turn back to the right.
I noticed the raspberry bushes do have tiny thorns as had shorts on. That is
what you need the reverse for.. I really must read the driving
manual before driving anywhere!

dneprlover
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by dneprlover » Mon May 05, 2014 6:49 pm

smoothmachines wrote:Frankenbike is alive!
This must be the creepiest thing i ever drove.
Upp the hill the track leans very much to the left side of the bike.
So the bike went to the left and i could not for my life turn back to the right.
I noticed the raspberry bushes do have tiny thorns as had shorts on. That is
what you need the reverse for.. I really must read the driving
manual before driving anywhere!

Steer by using the throttle as well as the handlebars.
Last edited by dneprlover on Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

smoothmachines
Comrade
Comrade

Post by smoothmachines » Sat May 31, 2014 11:18 am

I drove the bike with a passenger last weekend, a totally different experience.
My 11 years old daughter was laughing and yelling in the sidecar as we drove, screaming "Faster!!", very good.
My wife loved it too but she does not like speed so the Frankenbike driven by me is perfect for her.
Then i detached the bike from the sidecar, easier to wrench and push around, that was great fun too, very easy to drive, like a very big moped.
I forgot to take a pic of the Dnepr gearbox...