Could someone tell me the difference!

Newbies, introduce yourself here. Are you thinking about getting one and have questions? Ask your basic questions here. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of The Greasy Wrench" section.
Forum rules
Here's the place for those who are newb or thinking about buying a Ural or Dnepr to introduce themselves ask those typical "newbie" questions. Try using the "Search" link at the top of the page to see if your question may have been asked before. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of the Greasy Wrench" section.
propwash
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by propwash » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:00 pm

CCCPBike is having a bit of fun with you :)

Like I said...
Personally, I would steer away from the following Dneprs:
- ones with electric start
- ones with the spin on oil filter
Look for these and BEWARE!!
Better yet, take pics and let us decide for you - ha!! :P :?

Seriously, I would steer away from those. Also take a compression tester and use it. Depending on if it was meant for export or not, you should see compressions around 100 psi or so and within 10% of one another. Carbs and ignition can be sorted out later cheaply. Make sure the title matches some number stamped somewhere. You will know your state better than me. Doubt this Dnepr has a tag on the neck of fork, but if it does, hopefully numbers match. Frame number is next best hope. It is normally stamped on the left rear top shock mount. Although I have seen Dnepr frames with no frame numbers anywhere... As Bural said, titles mean a lot.

For a good titled Dnepr, I don't think the price is bad.

uniquemetalworks
Comrade
Comrade

Post by uniquemetalworks » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:11 pm

BillyG,

The guy lives around Fort Lauderdale. Is this the same bike you have seen?
2001 Dnepr
2005 ZX6R 636
2006 GSX-R 600
2004 GSX-R 750
2003 R1

seth
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by seth » Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:10 pm

you and i are sorta in the same demographic. i began my lust with urals when i was 25, now i'm 28 and will prolly be buying a new one every few years for the rest of my life.
I had a sporty bike that i bought a few years ago and sold for financal reasons. less than a year later i was all over the speed and just wanted to ride. i needed to ride again so I gotst me the ural and never looked back.

You're young and if you've got the time and space get the rig if it's in good running order, it's a great deal. If you think you may want more, go for a newer bike.
I like urals myself and would say to find one of them.
It's gunna take some wrenching but has the promise of being very rewarding.
look around before you snatch up a rig. do you homework and know what you want. if you get what you expect you wont be disapointed.
seth

JohnBG
General Secretary
General Secretary

Post by JohnBG » Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:19 pm

uniquemetalworks wrote:Ok, i just spoke to the guy over the phone. He said that its a dnepr with original 200km. He is Russian and last time he was in Russia he got this motorcycle. He said that he would take no less then 3,500.

He said that he is selling because he never uses it, took his kid to school on it. I ask if it started and ran, he said it starts and runs ok.

Well im going to go look at it tomorrow, what should i look for? What should i pay close attention to? Title, vin numbers?

A little about me,

Im 21 and sick of the sportbike seen. I have a sportbike right now and love riding it, but everyone has one. i want to be different. Im mechanically inclined and never taken anything to someone else. Whats the point, when you can get everything you need to know from forums like this one.

Thanks for all the help again!
Check the title, vin numbers and make sure the title is clear.

Make sure it runs and if possible a compression check might be a good thing.

I wouldn't go over $3,000, but that's just me.

Only major drawback for a Dnepr is that parts are harder to come by. The Dnepr factory closed a while back and ther are few Dnepr dealers. On the other hand Ural is still in business and even for the older ones there are dealers like Holopaw Gene, Wagner's and Crawford's that still have a lot of the older parts.

I understand where you are coming from, I got into Urals as I was tired of the V-Twin cruisers, everybody has one of those in their garage parked next to their sport bike.

Best of luck. :roll:
Last edited by JohnBG on Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Grocke aka "JohnBG"
Site Administrator - sovietsteeds.com

Current Rides:
'06 Ural Raven - "Vorona"
'09 Kawasaki KLR650 - "Madea"

History:
'98.5 Ural Tourist - "Valentina" - Gone but not forgotten.
2002 Harley Road King FLHPI
1997 Harley Electra Glide FLHTPI
Honda Nighthawk 650 from the mid-80's
1980 Suzuki RM125T
1970 Honda CL100

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle.” ― Hunter S. Thompson

propwash
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by propwash » Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:34 pm

I agree with John, mostly... (still don't think $3500 is that bad)
JohnBG wrote:Only major drawback for a Dnepr is that parts are harder to come by.
I do not know where this comes from... several people have mentioned it.
US:
RAMCO
Borg
Yuri
These alone will have most parts covered. If not there are numerous sellers on eBay for parts.
Echokg
Mastersss
Arbalet
If they don't list it, ask for it - they find them.
Personally I have bought from all of the above and more - never had a problem. PARTS ARE EVERYWHERE... Heck a good number of Ural 650 parts and even modern 750 swap. I have a couple parts from Holopaw on my Dnepr. Granted, you cannot go to a local moto shop for them and from time to time you will need to wait a week or two, but time and $ is only issue, not supply.

JohnBG
General Secretary
General Secretary

Post by JohnBG » Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:43 pm

propwash wrote:I agree with John, mostly... (still don't think $3500 is that bad)
JohnBG wrote:Only major drawback for a Dnepr is that parts are harder to come by.
I do not know where this comes from... several people have mentioned it.
US:
RAMCO
Borg
Yuri
These alone will have most parts covered. If not there are numerous sellers on eBay for parts.
Echokg
Mastersss
Arbalet
If they don't list it, ask for it - they find them.
Personally I have bought from all of the above and more - never had a problem. PARTS ARE EVERYWHERE... Heck a good number of Ural 650 parts and even modern 750 swap. I have a couple parts from Holopaw on my Dnepr. Granted, you cannot go to a local moto shop for them and from time to time you will need to wait a week or two, but time and $ is only issue, not supply.
I can't say from experience with Dneprs as I don't own one. But anytime I have needed a 650 Ural part, Gene has ALWAYS had it in stock.
John Grocke aka "JohnBG"
Site Administrator - sovietsteeds.com

Current Rides:
'06 Ural Raven - "Vorona"
'09 Kawasaki KLR650 - "Madea"

History:
'98.5 Ural Tourist - "Valentina" - Gone but not forgotten.
2002 Harley Road King FLHPI
1997 Harley Electra Glide FLHTPI
Honda Nighthawk 650 from the mid-80's
1980 Suzuki RM125T
1970 Honda CL100

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle.” ― Hunter S. Thompson

ReCycled
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by ReCycled » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:17 pm

I have owned and liked Urals and a Dnepr.

My advise to a young guy in Florida, looking to buy his first Russian/Ukranian rig is to find another $2000 and look at Lumpy's ad in the classified section here. This Dnepr is likely to have many teething pains that might be tolerable if the bike was not on the high end of market price to begin with.

The '06 Tourist on the other hand is way more likely to be gas-n-go, is at the bottom of the market price and I think is still under warranty.

If you really have your heart(and budget) set on a $3500 Dnepr, I'll sell you my titled, running, low mileage 2wd Dnepr for that and I'll buy Lumpy's bike. You want to meet me halfway? Say South Carolina?
David B.
'07 Ural Twourist

seth
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by seth » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:30 pm

recycled is on the $. either way you win.
i 2nd that.
seth

Mud Pie
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by Mud Pie » Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:27 am

Since you are coming from the sport bike world, I feel it's REAL important for you to know that Urals/Dnepers TOP speed is slower than first gear on your sport bike....

Or damn close...... :P

And to save you the grief before you ask, there are NO mods to the engine/tranny/final drive that will get you to all that much faster.

We foilheads feel that even a 5 mph increase is part of the "WOW" factor.
2005 Ural Gear Up with DP-28 replica
Patriot Guard Rider

"I don't drive a Ural to make great time, I drive a Ural to have a great time."

"There is no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws." - Ayn Rand "Atlas Shrugged"

Possum
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by Possum » Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:42 am

I third lumpy's bike....

a1930ford
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Just a different take on it

Post by a1930ford » Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:46 am

:lurker:
Last edited by a1930ford on Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

CCCPBike
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by CCCPBike » Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:31 am

Serious thoughts from our Comrade from Abilene (Tx). Wise words, great advice for a young Comrade.
And remember: it's not always riding, it's gunna take a lot of wrenching too...
And like I said: " a reliable Dnepr = ... + ... + ... with or without a bit of fun :wink: :D "

... but it's a great hobby, an addiction :P
CCCPbike

MT11 - K750
"Dneprs don't leak oil, they mark their territory"

http://vmcuraldnepr.freeforums.org/index.php

M72Max
Comrade
Comrade

Post by M72Max » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:57 am

Here is my 02 cents. If you are into working on stuff, maybe not a mechanic but willing to learn, get yourself a bike that's under 3k and ride it - fix it- ride it again - fix it - and so on...Th Parts are still plenty - but it makes sense to stock up a little. And with people like Ken who can always bail you out if you screwed up your motor or tranny - there is no need to worry so much. We are not talking Ferraris here! It's a small investment for a life long fun affair!
Also, don't forget that some people here bought brand new Urals for over 10k ... and still have to deal with issues. Everytime my m72 throws a curve ball at me a thought appears in my head - should've bought a new ural. But then again... maybe not :)
Max (Mracer on RI) 1958 M72H

uniquemetalworks
Comrade
Comrade

Post by uniquemetalworks » Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:14 pm

Ok, so i went and saw it.

The guy had a hard time getting her going, but after 2 min he did.

He said that it has been sitting around for the last 2years without riding. Thats why it didnt start up so fast. once he got it going it sat and idled.

Here are some pics. I also noticed some rust one the wheels. but not to much anywere else.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2001 Dnepr
2005 ZX6R 636
2006 GSX-R 600
2004 GSX-R 750
2003 R1

uniquemetalworks
Comrade
Comrade

Post by uniquemetalworks » Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:19 pm

another
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2001 Dnepr
2005 ZX6R 636
2006 GSX-R 600
2004 GSX-R 750
2003 R1