Could someone tell me the difference!

Newbies, introduce yourself here. Are you thinking about getting one and have questions? Ask your basic questions here. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of The Greasy Wrench" section.
Forum rules
Here's the place for those who are newb or thinking about buying a Ural or Dnepr to introduce themselves ask those typical "newbie" questions. Try using the "Search" link at the top of the page to see if your question may have been asked before. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of the Greasy Wrench" section.
uniquemetalworks
Comrade
Comrade

Could someone tell me the difference!

Post by uniquemetalworks » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:35 am

Im new to the forums, and im new to the Ural. Im just NEW to everything dealing with Urals and sidecars.

My newbie question is.... :D

What is the difference in the years of the Urals. I ask because im about to buy a 2001 Ural. I have been driving sportbikes, and now i just want to be different.

So, am i getting myself in too deep with a 2001. Is it going to have lots of problems? It have 200 miles on it, and the PO said that he is the first owner.

Thanks for the help!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2001 Dnepr
2005 ZX6R 636
2006 GSX-R 600
2004 GSX-R 750
2003 R1

uniquemetalworks
Comrade
Comrade

Post by uniquemetalworks » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:37 am

Here is another pic.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2001 Dnepr
2005 ZX6R 636
2006 GSX-R 600
2004 GSX-R 750
2003 R1

propwash
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by propwash » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:19 am

The motorbike in these photos is a Dnepr. Most likely Dnepr MT11 if 1WD or MT16 if 2WD.

cubituscubitus
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by cubituscubitus » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:32 am

propwash wrote:The motorbike in these photos is a Dnepr. Most likely Dnepr MT11 if 1WD or MT16 if 2WD.
Nice paint scheme, although not original.
One mudflap missing (sidecar fender).
Check all the bike's papers (frame number ASO).
Thierry aka Terry
Thierry aka Terry

CURD Ambassador to Wallonia

'03 Ural Tourist (in a barn for several months)
1999 Mercedes C200 CDI Estate
-------------------------------------
Be happy on three wheels !

uniquemetalworks
Comrade
Comrade

Post by uniquemetalworks » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:44 am

Ok, so this is not a Ural. On his add he said it was a Ural Dnepr.

Well then i got another question, what is the difference with the Dnepr and the Ural?

Is this a good bike to buy? The owner said that he has florida title in hand.
He also said its 1WD.
2001 Dnepr
2005 ZX6R 636
2006 GSX-R 600
2004 GSX-R 750
2003 R1

Bilgekeeldave
Commissar
Commissar

Post by Bilgekeeldave » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:47 am

From the lead on the sidecar wheel, it looks like a Dnepr MT-11.

Dneprs have a more durable engine, when well sorted out. They have a single piece crank and pressure lubricated babbitt bearings. The Dnepr transmission is more sturdy and it has the semi-automatic clutch.

Sadly, the factory closed down recently, but parts are available from many different sources.

Dave
Last edited by Bilgekeeldave on Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dave

RAMCO-Dnepr MT-16

propwash
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by propwash » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:55 am

There is no such thing as a Ural Dnepr. This should tell you something about the seller. That is similar to saying it is a Ford Chevy.
Ural is made at IMZ factory in Irbit, Russia
Dnepr was made in KMZ factory in Kiev, Ukraine.
I wouldn't believe any paperwork produced about a Dnepr in the USA - except the ones sold by Lloyd at RAMCO.

Is it a good bike to buy - I don't know; this is more a question to yourself and your abilities. Expect the worst - needing total re-work. If this does not bother you, then you may be OK. Expecting to buy it and gas-n-go... you may be disappointed. I have many kms on my Dnepr and less problems than my buddy's new Ural - but I have never been normal.

Here is a good link to get started in your quest for knowledge
http://sovietsteeds.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=278

seth
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by seth » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:03 am

is it 200 kms on a new engine or tranny or is it 200 kms since 2001?
that could indicate/predict some problems.
does it currently run?
If it's running i'd have the owner go for a little spin and i'd follow him in my truck. have your head out the window and listen to the noises the bike makes.
if it runs and can take a spin, shut it down while you b/s with the owner about the bike. The real test is if you'll be able to fire it up again.
It'll prolly need all the attention you can give it but after you've gone over it a few times and worked most of the bugs out you should be fine.
I'm not sure what a fair asking price would be....in the neighborhood of 2500 is as far as i'd go...if that much.
good luck
seth

csbdr
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by csbdr » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:22 am

Nice bike. I think I've seen it on ebay? Prolly listed as Ural DNEPR to have it pop on both searches....Definately not a Ural. DNEPR's are also great bikes. In fact, I've seen a couple lately that I wouldn't mind having.... :drool: Anyhow, it SEEMS that it can be more challenging to find parts, compared to a Ural, but there are some very good vendor's out there online and some great webboards specific to DNEPRs as well. "2001" may be meaningless beyond when it was assembled, from what I've gathered reading here. You may really have to do your own work on it, depending. I know of one fellow near me who had the local Ural dealer refuse to work on his DNEPR " because they're the competition" :?

With Urals, 2001/2 was the switch from CMSI to IMWA, IIRC, and there were some changes to the bikes. That was the point they went from 650 to 750 cc. I have a 2002 Tourist. The alternater and ignition both went and are known for it, and have been upgraded since. Searching here and RIMC should give you plenty of discussions of the incremental differences as the years have gone by. Ignition systems have been changed a couple times, and the last 2 years have seen a series of improvements in a variety of systems on the bike.

Overall I'm definately not the best to comment on DNEPRs as I haven't owned one, just learning from reading discussions. Good luck with your decision! Chris
2002 Ural Tourist "Pikop Andropov" 39,000 km
2003 Yamaha Roadstar (hardly ridden anymore)
2009 Royal Enfield Bullet C5

propwash
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by propwash » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:34 am

I think Seth is being a bit harsh. If it is all there and not been abused, it is worth more than that. Read my last entry on the above link.
Personally, I would steer away from the following Dneprs:
- ones with electric start
- ones with the spin on oil filter
Although portions of these "upgrades" were done at the factory, this was near the end of production at KMZ and very poor quality. I know each of these things sounds like a good idea, but they are not in this case.

The key is proper break-in. If you (or anyone) gets a low mile/km Dnepr, take a weekend to go through it, again check my entry on the above link. RTFM and break-in properly. I know a new buyer is wanting to ride, to get significant other, kids, dog in sidecar and go, test top speed, but this is NOT the think to do!! IIRC, only 50% of max load is recommended during break-in and top speed of 60 kph during phase 1 (yep, that is about 40 mph).

There are Ural folks and Dnepr folks out there - each are passionate about their machines. I have Dnepr and an old IMZ machine, really not much different about them. My Dnepr is just as reliable as a new Ural. This pictured Dnepr is more like the 650cc Urals brought into US in the mid-late 90s. Now a new Ural is considerably different than the ones produced for Soviet/Russian market and the ones originally shipped to US. A modern Ural has had around 15 years of western influence (good or bad), hence all the goodies, higher speeds (relatively), a different engine etc.[/url]
Last edited by propwash on Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

seth
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by seth » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:10 pm

propwash wrote:I think Seth is being a bit harsh. If it is all there and not been abused, it is worth more than that.[/url]
i didn't mean to sound like it wouldn't be worth more than a few thousand but if you look around you can find older bikes in that price range. i looked at a 98 tourist with iirc less than 5000 kms on it for just over $3000. other than me it seemed there was no interest in the bike.
If the bike is close to you that should increase it's value to you because you would be saving that $ in transportation costs.
I would say the bike is worth what ever you feel comfortable paying for it and what ever yor wife will let you part with.
I wouldn't part with my 06 gu for double what i paid for it. i love these bikes.
these have the potential to be great machines and their maintenance becomes allmost a lifestyle.
If i had the $ and the space i'd buy em all just to experience each different brand and models quirks and strong points.
Just keep in mind there are quirks and don't forget these bikes still have their strong points.
good luck
seth

JohnBG
General Secretary
General Secretary

Post by JohnBG » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:11 pm

That's not a Ural. It's a Dnepr. To advertise it as a Ural would be at least misleading, if not fraudulent.

Looks like a Yuri bike or DneprMaster/OrangeShark rig that they were peddling on eBay a while back. DenperMaster/Orange Shark was set up out of Ormond Beach for a while. They had some of thier rigs on display for sale on the side of US1 at their shop during Bike Week.

I looked at ones like this one and was not impressed. A lot of mismatched parts cobbled and thrown together with a new paint job for $6000-7000.

Now I am not bashing Dneprs by any means, but it's prolly gonna take some good mechanical skills and some time to this one into a relaible running machine.

Caveat Emptor.
John Grocke aka "JohnBG"
Site Administrator - sovietsteeds.com

Current Rides:
'06 Ural Raven - "Vorona"
'09 Kawasaki KLR650 - "Madea"

History:
'98.5 Ural Tourist - "Valentina" - Gone but not forgotten.
2002 Harley Road King FLHPI
1997 Harley Electra Glide FLHTPI
Honda Nighthawk 650 from the mid-80's
1980 Suzuki RM125T
1970 Honda CL100

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle.” ― Hunter S. Thompson

Bural
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by Bural » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:26 pm

uniquemetalworks wrote:Ok, so this is not a Ural. On his add he said it was a Ural Dnepr.

Well then i got another question, what is the difference with the Dnepr and the Ural?

Is this a good bike to buy? The owner said that he has florida title in hand.
He also said its 1WD.
A clear title on a Dnepr means alot. But, on the other hand, there have been some 2 WD models for sale with titles, in the $3500 to $4500 price range. So, it all depends on how much he is asking and how much work you are willing and able to do.
Richard & Jan
1996 Ural Tourist R90 sold
Dnepr MT 16 R80 A work in progress
BMW R90/Dnepr Project (The Beepr)

CCCPBike
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by CCCPBike » Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:10 pm

Bilgekeeldave wrote:From the lead on the sidecar wheel, it looks like a Dnepr MT-11.

Dneprs have a more durable engine, when well sorted out. They have a single piece crank and pressure lubricated babbitt bearings. The Dnepr transmission is more sturdy and it has the semi-automatic clutch.

Sadly, the factory closed down recently, but parts are available from many different sources.

Dave
Yes it's a MT11
I have also one ... with a very durable engine.
http://sovietsteeds.com/galleries/displ ... m=1&pos=26 :)
Dneprs, they are very good bikes when mechanical OK (=rare :( )
And a reliable Dnepr costs at least 3500 usd (in Belgium)
reliable = K68-carb and electronic ignition + extra oilchanels + new pistons + ... + ... :P
CCCPbike

MT11 - K750
"Dneprs don't leak oil, they mark their territory"

http://vmcuraldnepr.freeforums.org/index.php

uniquemetalworks
Comrade
Comrade

Post by uniquemetalworks » Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:41 pm

Ok, i just spoke to the guy over the phone. He said that its a dnepr with original 200km. He is Russian and last time he was in Russia he got this motorcycle. He said that he would take no less then 3,500.

He said that he is selling because he never uses it, took his kid to school on it. I ask if it started and ran, he said it starts and runs ok.

Well im going to go look at it tomorrow, what should i look for? What should i pay close attention to? Title, vin numbers?

A little about me,

Im 21 and sick of the sportbike seen. I have a sportbike right now and love riding it, but everyone has one. i want to be different. Im mechanically inclined and never taken anything to someone else. Whats the point, when you can get everything you need to know from forums like this one.

Thanks for all the help again!
2001 Dnepr
2005 ZX6R 636
2006 GSX-R 600
2004 GSX-R 750
2003 R1