Just Joined... Any help would be welcome!

Newbies, introduce yourself here. Are you thinking about getting one and have questions? Ask your basic questions here. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of The Greasy Wrench" section.
Forum rules
Here's the place for those who are newb or thinking about buying a Ural or Dnepr to introduce themselves ask those typical "newbie" questions. Try using the "Search" link at the top of the page to see if your question may have been asked before. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of the Greasy Wrench" section.
Desantnik-VDV
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Re: Just Joined... Any help would be welcome!

Post by Desantnik-VDV » Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:49 pm

Thomas, you can download the 650cc service manual for your -10 model: http://www.waghornswood.net.nz/Manuals_ ... manual.pdf

Gentle on that kickstarter lever. :cheers:
Alex
2007 GearUp - '007's БМД :wink:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The rest is just history... 4 previous Urals with telescopic front ends, BMW airheads, bigger Hondas, bigger sidecars...

IpswichUral

Post by IpswichUral » Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:58 pm

Chaos2... thanks for the simple instruction. I can't wait to put it in reverse and try it.

Desantnik-VDV... Thank you for the service manual link. I have already downloaded it. Don't think I'll print it all out at once... maybe sections at a time as I need them. Is there a good source for parts? Looking at the electrical system I'm wondering if maybe a new wire harness would provide reliability and peace of mind.

And, My statement "my bike is a Russian bike built in Russia for a Russian" certainly was not correct and was not meant to be disrespectful towards the Soviet people.

Desantnik-VDV
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by Desantnik-VDV » Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:01 pm

When you finish all mecanical work you can check your outfit alignment if there is any handling issues. Here are many threads. Service or owners manual will give you all needed info for a starter and should have alignment information as well.

Thomas, I did not feel any disrespect from you. You can respect all nationalities (over 170) of former USSR as much as you like. LOL
And there were over 130 languages. 15 major republics, many autonomous states, and we all spoke Russian as our second language. Some of us non ethnic Russians still speak Russian in aditon to other languages.

Export Ural models were made in limited quantities with better parts, I guess not made on Mondays and last days of any given month and quarters. :lol:

As for old 650 Ural parts ... there are two dealers who might still have some.
Unfortunately, due to sanctions we are not able to buy any parts from Russia and have them shipped here. There are still a few sellers outside of Russia (Belarus, Kazakhstan, Ukraine) and in Europe. Non IMZ made NOS parts might not have any quality.

Good, you have that parts bike as well. If parts are hard to come by for your 650, it can be replaced with a newer 750cc engine in the future if you are going to keep it forever.

There is tremendous information here and nice members who will always help with answering your questions. Another helpful place is Bill Glasser's myura.com.

Good luck to you and have unlimited miles of fun.
Alex
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The rest is just history... 4 previous Urals with telescopic front ends, BMW airheads, bigger Hondas, bigger sidecars...

chaos2
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by chaos2 » Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:34 pm

IpswichUral wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:58 pm
Chaos2... thanks for the simple instruction. I can't wait to put it in reverse and try it.

Captain Obvious here, pull the clutch in when you shift into reverse, same as if you were shifting into 1st :cheers:
Past afflictions include limey cars and motorbikes, an R60/2, R65ls, & a Citroen.
Now bunch of bicycles, a still running '87 K75s,
and a trusty & rusty 2012 GU bought new
Dual K&N cones on homemade PVC intake, 40/137.5
Raceway needles, Modtop pipes, E starter delete
$29 VW Hydraulic steering dampener

Desantnik-VDV
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by Desantnik-VDV » Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:24 pm

Mistyped, sorry.
Make it http://myural.com/
Alex

IpswichUral

Post by IpswichUral » Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:55 pm

Desantnik-VDV wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:01 pm

Thomas, I did not feel any disrespect from you. You can respect all nationalities (over 170) of former USSR as much as you like. LOL
And there were over 130 languages. 15 major republics, many autonomous states, and we all spoke Russian as our second language. Some of us non ethnic Russians still speak Russian in aditon to other languages.
Thanks !

I found that Myural site. And I am not afraid to ask questions. I’m not looking to restore her to showroom condition, just to look good and be reliable for some fun rides. I still have boxes to go through. I’ll be sure to post pics

lee 303
Party Member
Party Member

Post by lee 303 » Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:55 pm

Better tighten the nut that attaches the clevis at the bottom of the front strut( frame leg). You have a busted spoke on the back wheel.The whole chair was kind of loose,so go over all the attaching hardware.I looked at those bikes a few weeks ago. I decided that I don't need anymore projects. The Blue bike had some very strange looking carburetors and the blue side car body was perforated in multiple places and had no brakes. Might make a good project start for a cargo box. I looked through some of the boxes of parts/stuff wrapped in Russian language newsprint. Found some fork bushings of course they could be for a IZH Planeta which one of old gas tanks fits. Have fun!
1996 tourist with mid 70s sidecar
1984 r80rt with sputnik
1967 r60/2 solo

IpswichUral

Post by IpswichUral » Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:49 pm

Hey Lee…. Thanks for your thoughts. Ya the wooden box had many used pistons and loose rings. A ton of miscellaneous parts I have no idea what they are for. I still want to identify the green one. So I can be sure to purchase compatible parts. Gonna start to disassemble the basic components. I’ll keep posting pics