Neval Dnepr Castrol

Newbies, introduce yourself here. Are you thinking about getting one and have questions? Ask your basic questions here. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of The Greasy Wrench" section.
Forum rules
Here's the place for those who are newb or thinking about buying a Ural or Dnepr to introduce themselves ask those typical "newbie" questions. Try using the "Search" link at the top of the page to see if your question may have been asked before. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of the Greasy Wrench" section.
Cheyenne
Comrade
Comrade

Re: Neval Dnepr Castrol

Post by Cheyenne » Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:09 am

Thank you

Radlad wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:08 am
Nevals recommendations for all MT10-36 , MT11 and MT16 in the UK Was straight dino 20w-30 in the engine and dino SAE 80 gear oil in gearbox and all the drive units

Many people over here ran the engine and gearbox on the recommended but used SAE 90 + a little dollop of molyslip in all the drive components

Mr Wazzock
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by Mr Wazzock » Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:03 pm

Cheyenne wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:53 pm
Well the bike is from the 80's and I have a feeling some of the names have changed or not avail in the states. This is from the Neval sticker on teh alternator anyone familiar with these ?
Neval was a British importer's name.

Motor Castrol Grand Prix 4 Stroke Motorcycle oil
I remember using this in my Moto Guzzi Spada, would be around 1982 - 84, because the grade was supposed to be similar to the Italian spec'd 'SINT 2000' – be like a modern 10W-40 I'm thinking. A bit on the 'thin' side.

Gearbox Castrol GTX ( but not sure what weight )
If memory serves I don't think we ever knew what the viscosity of this was, don't remember seeing it written anywhere. It was heavily promoted in advertising including TV back in the day. Basically be like a bog standard 20W-50 engine oil.

Final Drive Castrol Hypoy EP90 ( appears to still be avail )
Yep a SAE 90 gear oil. Again not a lot of variety to choose from back then.

:D
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta
(aka Oranzhevaya Opasnost, "The Orange Peril")

GregAus
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by GregAus » Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:03 pm

A quick search shows that Castrol Grand Prix was/is available in both 10W-40 and 20W-50.

jaybird
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov
Location: The foothills of the Forked River Mountains, West Barnegat NJ (Do It In The Pines!) 08005

Post by jaybird » Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:59 pm

Cheyenne wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:06 am
That seems to be a huge issue on this site. Asking about Dnepr yet most reply to it as a Ural

GregAus wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:08 am
jaybird wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:51 pm
I’m running gear oil in the transmission and final drive, 15/40 all fleet diesel rated oil in the engine.

Happy trails,
Jaybird
It's a Dnepr, NOT a Ural. Completely different engine and gearbox. It would help if people would read the heading.

Dnepr factory recommendations were SAE 20W-50 for engine and gearbox and SAE EP90 for the final drive. Some people use SAE 75W-90 in the gearbox. It has the same viscosity as SAE 20W-50.
I have both Ural and Dnepr machines.
I’m not going to waste my time searching for, or my money buying the oils you asked about. The oil I use is a heavy duty oil that is approved for plain and roller bearing engines and it works for me, you can use whatever oil you want it’s your machine, I really don’t care. I was just offering you a practical alternative.
Aside from that, your engine is probably going to break anyway, no matter what oil you use, it’s a polished turd.
Good luck.

Happy trails,
Jaybird
2005 Gear-Up, Mr. Nat_ural 108,000+ Kilometers and counting
2013 Retro, Black beauty, AKA Lucky "13"
1995 Olive Tourist
1975 Enfield Diesel Bullet
2008 Enfield Bullet 500
1974 BMW R 75/6
Etc.

jaybird
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov
Location: The foothills of the Forked River Mountains, West Barnegat NJ (Do It In The Pines!) 08005

Post by jaybird » Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:28 pm

GregAus wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:54 am
jaybird wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:12 pm
GregAus wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:08 am
jaybird wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:51 pm
I’m running gear oil in the transmission and final drive, 15/40 all fleet diesel rated oil in the engine.

Happy trails,
Jaybird
It's a Dnepr, NOT a Ural. Completely different engine and gearbox. It would help if people would read the heading.

Dnepr factory recommendations were SAE 20W-50 for engine and gearbox and SAE EP90 for the final drive. Some people use SAE 75W-90 in the gearbox. It has the same viscosity as SAE 20W-50.
:lol: Thanks Greg.
I did read the heading, and I do know what the factory calls for.
Other than the engine oil, you’re telling him the same thing I did.
As far as the engine oil goes, I’m simply stating what I run in my rigs, and in fact I’ve heard you approve of that very same oil in the past.
The Ural and Dnepr are different engines, but not that different.
The Dnepr factory recommendations you cite above happen to be the same as the Ural factory recommendations, so I’m not sure what you’re blathering about.
Also, if you took the time to read the original post you would see that the OP already knows what was recommended for his rig, he was asking about availability and compatibility, I was just offering a practical alternative.
A roller bearing crankshaft and a plain bearing crankshaft are very, very different. I have recommended SAE 15W-40 for Ural engines, I would never recommend it for a Dnepr engine. If you think that there are minimal differences between the two engines, there is no hope for you. Urals recommendation of SAE 20W-50 comes from the original US importer who knew that Urals were basically BMW engines. BMW never recommended SAE 20W-50 for their roller bearing engines, and neither did IMZ. IMWA had to recommend SAE 20W-50 or recertify their engines. Your "practical alternative" is completely inappropriate for the Dnepr engine.
You’re not making much sense there bub.
What you’re saying is that a heavy duty oil designed for engines that primarily use plain bearings is ok to use in a Ural with roller bearings but not ok to use in a Dnepr because it has plain bearings. I realize you consider yourself the last word and final authority on Russian/Soviet motorcycles but I’m not buying your oil story.
I liked that comment about there being no hope for me, that was humorous.

Happy trails,
Jaybird
2005 Gear-Up, Mr. Nat_ural 108,000+ Kilometers and counting
2013 Retro, Black beauty, AKA Lucky "13"
1995 Olive Tourist
1975 Enfield Diesel Bullet
2008 Enfield Bullet 500
1974 BMW R 75/6
Etc.

SafetyBob
Party Member
Party Member

Post by SafetyBob » Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:36 pm

12 or so Dnepr units here... NAPA 20-50 in each with a pint of hyperlube. Change every 500 mi or so, that figures out to be about once a year..
No issues... No worries...
Gentlemen, this is a hobby... You should be have fun....
Stay Safe,
SB#3
Dnepr Mt-11
Dnepr MT-11 Solo
Dnepr Mt-9
Dnepr K-750
Dnepr Mt-11 Gumbo
Ural Patrol