I'm in! Finally got a rig and have questions

Newbies, introduce yourself here. Are you thinking about getting one and have questions? Ask your basic questions here. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of The Greasy Wrench" section.
Forum rules
Here's the place for those who are newb or thinking about buying a Ural or Dnepr to introduce themselves ask those typical "newbie" questions. Try using the "Search" link at the top of the page to see if your question may have been asked before. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of the Greasy Wrench" section.
Wildhorse Cafe
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Re: I'm in! Finally got a rig and have questions

Post by Wildhorse Cafe » Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:52 am

The original airfbox may have an electric solenoid and a manifold pressure activated air intake valve, all held together with 6mm nuts and lock washers. Get rid of the nuts and lock washers ASAP and get nylon lock nuts, unless you like to hear them rattling around in your heads.
Last edited by Wildhorse Cafe on Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2011 Patrol, The Higgs Bison Super Collider, formally known as, the Orange and Silver Pumpkin Coach.

2013 Black Retro, Chernaya Krasota, formally known as, my name is nobody.

When you set out on your journey to Ithaca
pray the road is long , full of adventure, full of knowledge
not expecting that Ithaca will offer you riches
Ithaca has given you the beautiful voyage

C.P. Cavafy

rougaroo

Post by rougaroo » Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:45 pm

Somewhere here Van posted a how-to on rebuilding the starter. They can get remarkably cruddy, but the good part is that they were made to rebuild, not pitch and replace.

Gene at Holopaw or Terry Crawford will be able to tell you the complete details, but the late 2002- early 2003 bikes were distributed by a distributor previous to IMZ named CMSI. The CMSI bikes were mostly 650's until late 2002 when they stepped it up to 750, but with mostly the same parts as the 650 - front drum brakes, Russian carbs, etc. From late 2002 until IMZ took over in late 2003 the bikes were kind of in transition parts-wise.

For sure the engine has a Russian gear tower, not sure about the alternator model but it isn't a Denso, etc.

I have a late 2003 IMZ 750, and - only a suggestion - I'd spec out exactly what you have on the bike and then look at what potentially you might want to upgrade as time and money permit. Some things are definitely "live with it until it breaks"; others are potentially "fix it now before it breaks".

One thing you should accept if you're prudent is limiting your speed to around 55 - 60 mph on that engine. The Russian timing gears (and the brakes for that matter) don't take kindly to higher speeds.

Rougaroo
2003 Tourist - lotsa upgrades
2004 Troyka - work in progress

Snakeoil
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by Snakeoil » Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:19 pm

If you had your foil hat on like you were supposed to, nobody would have been surprised.
Regards,
Rob
Proud member of the Peanut Gallery
Certified Blatherer
2000 Ural Tourist
40 Pilots, 122 Mains
Before you say something stupid, always ask yourself, "What would Harpo say?".

stagewex

Post by stagewex » Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:58 pm

rmcphearson wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:56 pm
Thank you for the warm welcome!

I do have the original starter and air intake. Haven't even had time to look at them close.

After my maiden voyage I now know what a nanosecond is! A nanosecond is the period of time between looking cool while idling at a red light in traffic on this rig and looking like a fool when the farking thing dies at a red light...with no electric starter...and no parking brake. I've got to get these carbs adjusted pronto.

Cheers

HaHaHa, hey that's Good Karma.
Big welcome to you and congrats on the rig.
Stagewex

Current Herd all running amok:
2019 Honda CRF450L (Elec Start)
2008 Vespa 150S (Elec & Kick Start)
2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
2006 Honda "Big Ruckus" PS250 (Elec Start)
1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only) *NOT running amok, out for Bottom & Top-End Rebuild.
1986 Yamaha BW200ES (Elec & Kick Start)

List what you "have", keep the others in your precious memory bank.

Geno89074

Post by Geno89074 » Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:56 am

Congratulations on your rig!
Sorting carbs can be a pain but once they are sorted it should run great!!

ENJOY!
2014 Ural Patrol
Green Valley
Henderson, Nevada

rmcphearson
Comrade
Comrade

Post by rmcphearson » Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:11 am

Thank you all. I fiddled with the carbs with little success. I think I will try pulling the plug and adjusting them while running on one cylinder. I think the original air intake (which I haven't installed yet) is the one that allows rain in. That's disappointing.
2003 Tourist
San Francisco CA
Golf Course Mechanic
www.rollertamer.com

stagewex

Post by stagewex » Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:33 am

Are you using a TwinMax or other device for syncing your carbs?

Where are you located? Add it and your model/year to your signature line. Kinda like all the folks that have responded to you.
Stagewex

Current Herd all running amok:
2019 Honda CRF450L (Elec Start)
2008 Vespa 150S (Elec & Kick Start)
2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
2006 Honda "Big Ruckus" PS250 (Elec Start)
1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only) *NOT running amok, out for Bottom & Top-End Rebuild.
1986 Yamaha BW200ES (Elec & Kick Start)

List what you "have", keep the others in your precious memory bank.

S 854
Commissar
Commissar

Post by S 854 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:43 am

Make sure you have a fan blowing across the cylinders as yer putzing with it... Urals are definitely air cooled and will overheat surprisingly fast...

Continue on man... yer doing good...
'07 Arctic: The Russian Raucous Ship

Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out...

rmcphearson
Comrade
Comrade

Post by rmcphearson » Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:14 pm

stagewex wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:33 am
Are you using a TwinMax or other device for syncing your carbs?

Where are you located? Add it and your model/year to your signature line. Kinda like all the folks that have responded to you.
I don't have a device yet. My understanding is that they are vacuum gauges. I don't see any vacuum ports to plug them in to.

I found the jet (marked 25) in the pass side carb plugged with crud so I cleaned that carb. The engine idles better and hasn't stalled since then but is backfiring when cold. The adapters between the carb and head don't even fit right. The hole spacing of those adapters is too wide for the threaded holes in the head which means the two bolts are just barely able to be forced in. To access the mixture screw on the drivers carb which is on the engine side I have to twist the carb about 20 degrees. There are no gaskets between the adapters and the head, I don't know if that's right. I also noticed the fuel filter for the pass side carb was backwards. There is no stop screw for the clutch lever so I really have to stretch my fingers way out to operate the lever. That's just what I've noticed so far. I tell ya, if I had a dime for every time I had to de-moron a vehicle... I thought I was going to be learning to ride, not redoing some assholes stupid $#!+. Damn it.

I'm thinking about just buying new carbs. Anyone have recommendations?

*EDIT*
Never mind. I see that Terry Crawford can hook me up with some custom carbs. I'm going to do a compression test. If the compression is good I may make a sizable investment from Mr. Crawford to get this rig "geared up".

Thanks
2003 Tourist
San Francisco CA
Golf Course Mechanic
www.rollertamer.com

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:06 pm

I tell ya, if I had a dime for every time I had to de-moron a vehicle... I thought I was going to be learning to ride, not redoing some assholes stupid $#!+. Damn it
I think that's been my experience with every used vehicle I've bought. Some were stupid niggly things, like silly mods, and some were serious c0ck-ups resulting in actual damage, if not the damage themselves. The most wonderful thing about buying brand new is that no previous fecker's been fecking about with it! The second most wonderful thing is that everything is new, no wear on anything. :D
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta
(aka Oranzhevaya Opasnost, "The Orange Peril")

GregAus
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by GregAus » Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:26 pm

The carbs are Mikuni VM. The exact size could be 28 (per 650) or 30 or 32. The manifold adaptor has a different spacing to those used on the later 750s. If you're lucky the starter ring gear is a bolt-on plate and can be bought as an aftermarket part - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Electric-start ... Sw5cNYjd7T