A couple of possibly stupid questios from a newcomer

Newbies, introduce yourself here. Are you thinking about getting one and have questions? Ask your basic questions here. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of The Greasy Wrench" section.
Forum rules
Here's the place for those who are newb or thinking about buying a Ural or Dnepr to introduce themselves ask those typical "newbie" questions. Try using the "Search" link at the top of the page to see if your question may have been asked before. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of the Greasy Wrench" section.
iwalk

Re: A couple of possibly stupid questios from a newcomer

Post by iwalk » Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:47 pm

Thanks
yes it does have manual advance. Have just been sorting out a leaking carb on the RHS. it was dripping petrol onto the exhaust (nasty) when i stopped. stripped carb PZ28 and found the float was being fouled by the tickler pin so it could not completely close. luckily i had a couple of spare carbs came with the bike and i discovered that the float had not been properly glued together making it about a half mm deeper than the other one and causing it to foul. have swapped float over and all seems good. next job is to check out ignition but that is for another day. i am contemplating fitting an electronic module and would be glad of opinions.

The manual lever does drop the idle when pulled back and will stop the motor if fully pulled but the power only really comes with the lever pushed fully forward. i haven't found it to make starting any easier.
Is this normal??

Cheers Ian

ReCycled
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by ReCycled » Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:37 pm

No, it sounds a little off. You will get more power when pushed forward(advanced) at higher RPMs. But it should still run when pulled back and you should be able to start it in that position with less fear of it kicking back.

Read up on gapping the points properly and see how that compares to your present set up. That determines timing and the thumb lever will fine tune on the fly as needed. Generally you will keep it advanced as you're on throttle going down the road and retard it while idling at a traffic light, etc.
David B.
'07 Ural Twourist

iwalk

Post by iwalk » Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:11 am

Hi
So can anyone help with latest problem?
I have an oil weep seems to be coming from the front bottom head bolt on the LHS.

Do not really see how oil could be coming from here but that's what it looks like.

Ian

iwalk

Post by iwalk » Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:54 am

just an update.
as the weather gets worse and its unlikely i will be riding out much i decided to tackle the final drive as i knew it had problems.

Stripped off the final in about 30 min which really surprised me. Found the boot for the rear brake lever to be rotten.
I then removed the copper wire someone had used instead of a cardan clip and the jubilee clip they had used at the other end. Fortunately the shaft was all good
So moved on to examine the joints after removing the covers found one of them had been attacked with an angle grinder cutting a slot in the bottom of it where it could not be seen. and that one of the joints was thoroughly shot. I was able to replace it as i had a spare in a box of bits that came with the bike. So now i have a uj cover and brake rod on order but will have to wait a few weeks till they arrive.

I need to decide whether to paint the uj joint covers black like the frame or sand like the rest of the bike and i just don't know which.
does anyone have an opinion that may help me decide?

cheers Ian

Scampy

Post by Scampy » Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:40 am

iwalk wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:12 am
Bike was already licensed when i bought it. so no issues there. It is classed as a heritage vehicle so requires no vehicle tax or MOT test (road-worthiness)

You can not now register a bike with the sidecar on the right at all in the UK.
Newbie too here, what’s this with not being able to register a bike with a RH sidecar ? I thought you could register it but couldn’t legally ride it on the road. Or are they clamping down on the registrations too
DL 650 2008 52k miles and rolling

stagewex
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Post by stagewex » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:37 am

He's in the UK. Are you?

Put your location and model (if you have one) in your signature line.
And Welcome.
Stagewex

Current Herd all running amok:
2019 Honda CRF450L (Elec Start)
2008 Vespa 150S (Elec & Kick Start)
2007 Ural Patrol (2WD, Elec & Kick Start)
2006 Honda "Big Ruckus" PS250 (Elec Start)
1991 Honda XR250L (Kick Start Only) *NOT running amok, out for Bottom & Top-End Rebuild.
1986 Yamaha BW200ES (Elec & Kick Start)

List what you "have", keep the others in your precious memory bank.

iwalk

Post by iwalk » Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:19 pm

Actually you are quite correct. as i understand it, i believe you can register a bike but not actually use it on the road unless it is pre 1981.

However what i cannot work out is if you cannot use it on the road, why would you bother to register it??

"No person shall use or cause or permit to be used on a road any two-wheeled motor cycle registered on or after 1st August 1981, not being a motor cycle brought temporarily into Great Britain by a person resident abroad, if there is a sidecar attached to the right (or off) side of the motor cycle."

Clear as mud!

Ian

Scampy

Post by Scampy » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:50 pm

iwalk wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:19 pm
Actually you are quite correct. as i understand it, i believe you can register a bike but not actually use it on the road unless it is pre 1981.

However what i cannot work out is if you cannot use it on the road, why would you bother to register it??

"No person shall use or cause or permit to be used on a road any two-wheeled motor cycle registered on or after 1st August 1981, not being a motor cycle brought temporarily into Great Britain by a person resident abroad, if there is a sidecar attached to the right (or off) side of the motor cycle."

Clear as mud!

Ian
I think there is a grey area between registered in the Uk pre 81 or just registered pre 81 it doesn’t actually say. I wonder has it been tested in court, not that I would want to.
DL 650 2008 52k miles and rolling

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:56 pm

I interpret it to mean age, so the latter; generally when we (UK) talk about when was it first registered, we mean how old is it, as usually the manufacture date is not too disimilar. So therefore you'll need to prove when it was made and first registered abroad. A dating letter from an owner's club might suffice, it does for registering old restored vehicles and keep the original age related tag, that never made it onto the DVLA database because of being in a shed for 40 years.
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta
(aka Oranzhevaya Opasnost, "The Orange Peril")

iwalk

Post by iwalk » Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:43 pm

There are a few other threads around about this in other places. On the V5 there is a place for date of first registration and mine has a date newer than 1981.
However i prefer your interpretation and i will just continue to ride mine around.
I have passed seen many police vehicles but none showed any interest. i think they had bigger things to do.
Ian

iwalk

Post by iwalk » Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:02 pm

Just a quick update
Final drive back in place with correct rubber bits and proper cardan clips, A quick test drive and all seems OK Sorted out broken fastenings on canister holder and just need to get a canister (fuel can) to fit. Painted a palm tree on front of sidecar, made a paper template and sprayed it on. Some slight over spray but nothing i could not clean up with a bit of turpentine spirit.

list of jobs remaining (that i know about):-

go over sidecar reducer, it has not been touched by me as yet.
drill out the turnbuckle i have to replace the stock on the front TLS brakes
Seal weeping head bolt.