Found a Dnepr cache what should I do?

Newbies, introduce yourself here. Are you thinking about getting one and have questions? Ask your basic questions here. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of The Greasy Wrench" section.
Forum rules
Here's the place for those who are newb or thinking about buying a Ural or Dnepr to introduce themselves ask those typical "newbie" questions. Try using the "Search" link at the top of the page to see if your question may have been asked before. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of the Greasy Wrench" section.
Thorsrevenge1

Found a Dnepr cache what should I do?

Post by Thorsrevenge1 » Fri May 22, 2020 5:47 pm

Hey everyone I was just put in contact with a shop here in Colorado who used to service and deal in Dneprs and parts. They no longer do however apparently and I have yet to visually confirm it, have a large quantity of new old stock and newer dnepr parts including rolling frames, sidecars and everything needed to build a number of rigs both solo and with a hack. So here comes my question, I've been debating buying a Ural or a Dnepr of either project quality or running. I'm willing to build it but is it worth it to do so? Can I build a Dnepr that will be able to run around forest service roads and light Mt. Passes like I've seen newer urals do?
1998 Honda Shadow ACE Tourer vt1100t aka Mesa Verde

(Soon to be added Russian Ural or Dnepr)

Cows die, friends and family die,
you will die just the same way.
But if you have a good reputation,
that might survive you.

“The Cowboy Havamal,”

Tomcatfixer
Commissar
Commissar

Re: Found a Dnepr cache what should I do?

Post by Tomcatfixer » Fri May 22, 2020 6:35 pm

Answering your question depends upon what you're after. Do you crave the experience of building a bike? Are you hoping to create something that you can sell for profit? No 650cc machine will perform like the new Urals do, but the older rigs have a charm all their own.

If you're willing to share the dealership information, I'm in the market for some Dnepr swingarm bushings and "stake washers".
- Chad

Gordonsville, Virginia, USA

Current rides:
2015 Ural cT "Mobile Chernobyl", 2001 Ural Patrol "Little Red Bear", 1999 Ural Tourist "The RPOC", Mid-Nineties Ural Tourist "The Heap", 1994 Honda VFR750F

Previous rides:
2007 Honda VTR1000 FireStorm (Super Hawk in U.S.)
2001 Buell Blast! - - - - - - - 2005 Yamaha FJR1300
1993 Honda CBR600F2 - -1984 Yamaha FJ1100
Two different 1986 Yamaha FZX700S Fazers

GoatTracks
Party Member
Party Member

Post by GoatTracks » Fri May 22, 2020 6:57 pm

I'm looking for a spare set of Dnepr brake shoes....my Ural is a bastard hybrid Frankenstein with a Dnepr front end.
"Dog is my Co-Pilot"

Central Iowa, USA
'07 "FrankenUral" Gear Up
'99 HD Bad Boy Custom
'84 Yamaha 175 Enduro
Mattel "Big Wheel"

Thorsrevenge1

Post by Thorsrevenge1 » Fri May 22, 2020 9:41 pm

I'm Willing to share info, they have been mentioned here on and off just not since they stopped servicing the bikes. It's Linden Engineering in Golden. I don't know if he will ship parts.

As to the rest I do want to build a custom bike that can be mine, I'm not looking to sell but I'm not so in love with the idea to sacrifice what I want to be able Todo. If I can't run around on some forest service roads and blm roads with it then I'll keep looking for a Ural. However if someone can convince me that a Dnepr can do those things then I'm all for it.

that might survive you.

“The Cowboy Havamal,”

DneprTim
Party Member
Party Member

Post by DneprTim » Fri May 22, 2020 10:08 pm

A Dnepr can do what you want, but its going to take some effort on your part. They can be made dependable, but expect to pretty much rebuild the engine from the beginning. Mine is great for riding around back roads with a comfortable top speed of about 45MPH,
although I have gone highway speeds (55) for several hours.
If you're mechanically inclined at all, I say go for it !
Do they have titles for the bikes ?
Anybody with enough money can ride a Ural, but you really have to want to ride a Dnepr.

Thorsrevenge1

Post by Thorsrevenge1 » Fri May 22, 2020 10:31 pm

I believe they do have titles and there is one complete running Dnepr for sale but that ones out of budget for me around 6k because it was converted to a 750.

As to being mechanically inclined I am fairly I own a welding and fab shop. A quick question that has always steered me towards urals. I'm fine with drum brakes infact I prefer the ability to swap all three wheels if need be but I want a leading link front end like urals have rather than a plunger style one as seen on most Dneprs. Can I put a leading link on a dnepr? And while I know there is no manual can someone point me towards a blog, book, or some spot that has a good bit of of spec info such as bearing sizes, torque specs, and the like.

If I do this I'm going whole hog and starting from the ground up with a sand blasted frame.

that might survive you.

“The Cowboy Havamal,”

DneprTim
Party Member
Party Member

Post by DneprTim » Fri May 22, 2020 10:57 pm

yes, Dnepr also made a leading link front end.

Some Dnepr info here:
http://hem.bredband.net/trevorou/

DneprTim
Party Member
Party Member

Post by DneprTim » Fri May 22, 2020 11:12 pm

Thorsrevenge1

Post by Thorsrevenge1 » Sat May 23, 2020 12:01 am

Thanks for the info. I plan on going and taking a look this week. When I do I'll post pics to this thread. I'm almost convinced to go for it only three things remain. Firstly what kind of price I can get, the other two you guys can answer. Can a 650 dnepr 2wd haul around a 300# guy with maybe 60#s of gear? And lastly and I think this might be a pipe dream with either a Dnepr or Ural. Do you guys think a Dnepr that's been properly sorted and has a mechanically inclined rider tackle the TAT? Thats my dream ride and one of the main reasons I want a Ural or Dnepr is to someday run the entire TAT and the Great divide trail. I know both bikes have limits especially with a hack but I think even with a hack only 20% of the tat would not be traversable on a Ural but could a Dnepr do it?

that might survive you.

“The Cowboy Havamal,”

Eric N
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

Post by Eric N » Sat May 23, 2020 1:20 am

There's a guy, I believe in the Ukraine, that periodically offers different gear sets for Dnepr gearboxes. I believe they're hand cut, questionable metalurgy, but would be a path to making a Dnepr more offroad friendly. One of the main challenges both the Ural and Dnepr have is no creeper gear. First gear is good to 15 mph and without the ability to change sprockets, it's just geared too high for most offroad.

For the trails you want to run, the Ural and Dnepr will have similar limitations.
2018 Gear Up
2013 Retro Solo
2001 Patrol - Sold

dneprlover
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by dneprlover » Sat May 23, 2020 5:16 am

Thorsrevenge1 wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 10:31 pm
I believe they do have titles and there is one complete running Dnepr for sale but that ones out of budget for me around 6k because it was converted to a 750.

As to being mechanically inclined I am fairly I own a welding and fab shop. A quick question that has always steered me towards urals. I'm fine with drum brakes infact I prefer the ability to swap all three wheels if need be but I want a leading link front end like urals have rather than a plunger style one as seen on most Dneprs. Can I put a leading link on a dnepr? And while I know there is no manual can someone point me towards a blog, book, or some spot that has a good bit of of spec info such as bearing sizes, torque specs, and the like.

If I do this I'm going whole hog and starting from the ground up with a sand blasted frame.
Dneprs will do everything a Ural will do and more. Remember they were a Military bike so are built more rugged than the Ural. It just might be a challenge to get a reliable one as the engines can be a little problematic. gearboxes and final drives are built stronger and better than the Ural equivalents. Manuals and parts catalogues are easily downloaded from places such as Charlie Harmons goodkarma site or bought from the East European sellers. The cache of parts you have located will be old stock and therefore better than most bits available today. Later Dneprs came supplied with leading links but the Ural set up will bolt straight on if needed. Standard forks suited the Russian army for over 30 years and they will do the job just as well. Don't be led into thinking the steering geometry is different, it isn't , but L/L forks have more rigidity which can sometimes be an advantage.

My idea of a perfect Dnepr for mountain trails would be an MT11 with MT16 gearbox ratios , 4.62 final drive and a Bavarian Money Waster motor.
Neval BMW/MT11 800cc hybrid, Neval 2wd MT10-36, Neval standard MT10-36, Neval MT16, another MT11, BMW/MB650 hybrid , K750m , MB750 and a standard MT10-36 outfit + 2 large sheds full of spares for them.

VWK75S

Post by VWK75S » Sat May 23, 2020 6:06 am

dneprlover wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 5:16 am

Don't be led into thinking the steering geometry is different, it isn't ,
Are you sure?
John
The Ural's made Maine a much bigger state.

2009 GearUp 150,000kms
2007 Retro 25,000kms
1991 VWK75S 110,000miles

ReCycled
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by ReCycled » Sat May 23, 2020 7:37 am

In general a Dnepr will be a more hands on experience than most newer Urals. If you're comfortable with that then go for it. A fair price for the cache and selling off some of the extras might mean you're into it mostly for your time.

Dneprlover describes his dream off road tide as 1wd. There is some advantage to the simplicity of that logic. Remember, all but the earliest 2wd Dneprs use an open differential. They work fine in most conditions but do slip when you need them most. Though, you can get a slight work around with separate brake pedals or there is a $$$ lock out kit available.
David B.
'07 Ural Twourist

Rich Maund
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by Rich Maund » Sat May 23, 2020 9:20 am

I was one of the first people in the USA to have a Dnepr MT16 and make it reliable enough to drive state to state without needing towed home. I did this back in the 90's and attended the old Hack'd magazine rallies. I'd drive all day at 50-55 mph to get there. About 12 hours each way for me.
Some issues with the old Dneprs:
Out of round wheels. They are round in theory only. Can you true them?
Many of the ball bearings in mine were missing some of the balls in them. You'll need to know how to measure, ID and then source new bearings. The input on the rear drive was the main issue on mine.
Metalurgy. The fasteners are made of stale cheese, not steel. It may be metallic cheese and a magnet sticks to it. But don't let it fool you. Be prepared to change out all the fasteners for better grade Metric 8.8 stuff. And use blue locktite!
Their tapping of threads into castings like on the motor and rear drive used worn out tooling and they strip out easily. Can you accurately remove broken fasteners, bore out the castings and install helicoils?
Do you understand how carbs work and can adjust the settings on a strange set of carbs and then balance them well?
Do you know how to source appropriate gasket materials and then make your own gaskets? That is assuming you care about oil leakage.
Most of the wheel bears are tapered rollers. That is a good thing. Most are also defective and you'll feel "ticks" in them as you rotate them in your hand. You'll need to source new ones.
They use the old style 12 amp alternator. The bike requires 10 amps to run and charge the battery. So on a good day it is barely adequate. The rotor on them is not epoxy sealed after winding it. Once a wire in it breaks from vibrations, the rotor is toast. Good luck finding a shop willing to rewind it. Diodes on it's board can be defective too.
If it has points ignition, DO NOT use the same procedure to set the timing as you would a Ural with points ignition! It'll be too far advanced and will hole a piston. A Dnepr gets set with the flyweights held out at full advance to static set the timing.
I could go on, but it has been 20 years since I owned mine. The PTSD from it is finally fading. ;-)

I was a professional mechanic with years of engineering training, welding skills and machinist skills and owned my own lathe and mill. Unless you have similar skills and a burning desire to use them, A Dnepr may not be what you want to own.
JMO. YMMV.
This is my step ladder. I never got to know my real ladder.

Thorsrevenge1

Post by Thorsrevenge1 » Sat May 23, 2020 9:54 am

Thanks for the pointing out the other side of things Rich. It is very much needed. Many of those skills you've mention that relate to metal fab I have. I am not however a professional mechanic so carbs, valves and electrical are not my forte even though I have done some work with them. My hope for this cache is that I can talk the owner into sorting out a engine since he was a fairly well known service center up until 2013 or so and then I can sort out the frame. I'm not looking to build a true year specific Dnepr my best hope is to Frankenstein together the best parts he has available. I'm not so set on a dnepr that if a newer Ural even a project one appeared I'd probably go with that one.

To sum up I'm comfortable with my skills and know my own limitations. If it looks like it is beyond what I can do I'll pass and keep looking. It's more important for me to find the right bike rather than just any bike

that might survive you.

“The Cowboy Havamal,”