I dream of Ural

Newbies, introduce yourself here. Are you thinking about getting one and have questions? Ask your basic questions here. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of The Greasy Wrench" section.
Forum rules
Here's the place for those who are newb or thinking about buying a Ural or Dnepr to introduce themselves ask those typical "newbie" questions. Try using the "Search" link at the top of the page to see if your question may have been asked before. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of the Greasy Wrench" section.
Ducati Pilot
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2020

I dream of Ural

Post by Ducati Pilot » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:23 am

Howdy, everyone. I’m a noob member who doesn’t yet own a Ural, but I will at some point. I’m going to try and thin the herd a bit this spring, and hopefully 2020 will be my year.
I’ve been enjoying the forum here a great deal, and I must say that this seems to be the friendliest group of people I’ve ever seen in any transportation related site. It’s nice to visit a forum where 60% of the people don’t live to simply flame others.
That said, I’m excited to get a hack soon and put my OCD to use on a Russian sidecar. I have a halfway decent shop (enjoy welding, metal fab, etc.) and look forward to making some of my own racks and things. I really love my Ducati, but I’m not getting any younger. I find the prospect of a more relaxed pace on a more comfortable machine very appealing. Especially when I can strap fishing equipment to it and head out, or simply wander around our beautiful New England roads.
Thanks again for a great forum. I can’t wait to post my progress on the evolution of a new Ural!
Southern Vermont.
Current rides:
2006 Ducati S2R1000 “hot rod” build
1980 Yamaha SR250 Scrambler build
1979 Kawasaki KZ750 B-Twin “War Pig”
I will own a Ural, hopefully sooner than later.
I’m loving this forum!

jeffsaline

Re: I dream of Ural

Post by jeffsaline » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:29 am

Welcome! Hope you find a good machine for you and have fun with the mods and fabrication work. I have a dedicated Tenkara outfit in my Gear Up trunk so when I come across some promising water I can spend a few minutes or hours checking it out. I learned to fly fish on the Battenkill back in the late 60s.

Best,

Jeff
Jeff Saline
2010 Gear Up
-Good, Fast, Cheap. Pick Two
-Just because something isn't true, no reason you can't believe it. Hub McCann Second Hand Lions
-Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.

atlasheating
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by atlasheating » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:08 am

You have alot of choices. New or Used. 2wd or 1wd. Age and condition will drive the price. Some model years are better than others. People here are very helpful. When you get your Ural, it may need some mechanical attention. There are many videos that will help you get through your project.
Good luck

chaos2
Order of Victory
Order of Victory

Post by chaos2 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:50 pm

Well, they're different than a Duck! My advice is keep your expectations low and you won't be disappointed, you may even be pleasantly surprised by how much you like it. I'm reliving my youth spent with limey cars and bikes. Having a good dealer nearby is an asset.
Past afflictions include limey motocars and bikes, R60/2, R65ls, & a Citroen.
Now a DB Haanjo and Canyon CF SL Endurace, '87 K75s,
and a rusty 2012 GU bought new
dual K&N cones on homemade intake, 40/137.5
Raceway needles, Modtop exhaust, E starter delete
$29 VW Hydraulic steering dampener

Peter Pan

Post by Peter Pan » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:28 pm

MPV: multiple purpose vehicle in its best sense.
best tool to make family
great grand kid and dog carousel
excellent object to train mechanical skills.
lot of space for ice box and tackles.
(you even can sleep in it.!)

Mr Goethe said:
"Don't dream your life,
live your dream!"

and it has a boat incorporated just like its forefather:
Sophie Travelair = Patrol 2013
8 weeks 12.000km Oregon-Alaska-Oregon
With a DIY foam air filter the rig runs well even in tropical rain = :moto:
Final drives: 1. at 5000km, 2. at 34.000km(+friction plates) 3. at 42.386km
transmission: 1. 40.000km. 2. installed
Engine: 1. 43.388km crank replacement: Back on the road since 23.Okt.2019 :party:

The Avatar are 2 rice grains stating life's essence:
"The most important you cannot see!"
=> Attitude makes the difference!

RC20

Post by RC20 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:25 pm

Welcome DP:

I would do some thinking on what you are going to do missions wise and what your mechanical abilities are.

As it turned out, I could have got a under 500 mile 2016 GU when I got back, but only found out after I got my cT.

That in turn has got me to thinking (can I afford that other one! no, no, no).

You have other machines so if inclined to work on a Ural with issues from time to time that opens up things.

I have a bad back and I quit work (pretty much permanently) so I have both physical and financial limits to deal with (Ural works fine in regards to the back problem)

The advantage to the 2019 is better get up and go for highway use, so if there is enough of a mix of that then 2019 and up.

On the other hand, local roads and shorter trips? Up here while my trips will be 500-800 mile multi day camping, the roads are poor so high speed is not a major factor (the cT is as it handles the twisties better).

The 2014 to the 2018 were steadily improving so that is the in between option.

I rand into one guy locally who had a carb model (we were in a hurry so did not get the year) and it clearly ran well, he would not take it on the highway any more as he felt it did not have the get up and go he wanted.

I am not going into anything remotely boggy due to the back so a cT type works for what I want (my other rigs were pretty good handling type other than the R80GS and that made up for it in rough road capability that was a dream)

An awful do not use the 2WD so you should put the cT on the list for better handling. If you are thinking of mud or sand runs then the 2WD comes into play (but gea winch if you do!)

Great group even if many of us really don't own the Urals we claim to (that is a joke on a guy who thinks most of us are fake)
Fear No Gravel
Formerly Owned: ( various rides on others)
Honda 90
2 x CB750K (one a true Japan Model flown to Hawaii by a P3 Orion Sub Patrol Aircraft!)
1 x CB700 SC ala Shaft Drive Nighthawk S (RC20 is the actual in house production Model)
1 x R80GS (ok to start with, learned to love it for what it was)
1 x CB450K

Current:
1 x 2019 cT Terracotta

What I Did (I quit June 2 , 2019)
Mechanic/Technician/Engineer: Electro Mechanical Systems

Ducati Pilot

Post by Ducati Pilot » Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:28 pm

RC20 wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:25 pm
I would do some thinking on what you are going to do missions wise and what your mechanical abilities are.
Anyone here ever do a complete valve service and time the cams on a Desmodromic Ducati? My mechanical abilities will really, really enjoy having a relatively archaic Ural engine and drivetrain to service. Until the cows come home. I’ve been wrenching my own bikes (and there have been many) since I was a kid in middle school and couldn’t afford to take them to a shop to fix the many things that I broke with stunning regularity.
As for missions, I will likewise enjoy tossing my knee pucks and letting go of the mindset that, if I’m not riding at 8 or 9/10ths much of the time and wearing out the extreme edges of the tires before the center section than I’m not really worthy of the bike. Like I said, I’m not getting any younger. Fishing trips, regional touring, and trips to the grocery store sound absolutely freaking fantastic.
I’m hoping for a ‘19 Gear Up with interchangeable rims and the new FI system. That said, I haven’t heard anyone here mention the availability of a software program that allows owner remapping? Can most dealers load the “off-road” maps in the ecu now? Just curious.
Long story short, I’m looking forward to a workhorse of a machine that I can load up, ride in the winter in New England when I’m feeling feisty, and service easily when it breaks down for reasonable replacement parts cost. And if I can coerce the wife and/or the dog to join me in a few adventures then it’s the cherry on top.
I think my expectations are realistic (not expecting BMW or Honda reliability, fit and finish, or dealer support) and actually enjoy maintenance activities on a good machine, whatever that may be. I can’t wait to start this very new adventure after being on two wheels for over 40 years.
Any young ‘uns out there that want to buy a VERY groovy hot rod Ducati? I’ll even throw in a new Italian AGV Valentino Rossi replica helmet. Go Vale! Old guys rule!
Southern Vermont.
Current rides:
I’m loving this forum!

mtrdrms
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by mtrdrms » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:26 pm

Hey there and welcome to the slow lane!
I see you're in VT. If you find yourself around NW CT and want to try out a ural, let me know.
Good luck in your search!
- Andy

Everyday. No excuses.
2013 Patrol

Geno89074

Post by Geno89074 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:18 am

Ducati Pilot wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:28 pm
RC20 wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:25 pm
Anyone here ever do a complete valve service and time the cams on a Desmodromic Ducati? My mechanical abilities will really, really enjoy having a relatively archaic Ural engine and drivetrain to service.
Yes Sir - around every 18 months on my M-750 when i change the belts.
I use ems duc shims and sand the closers

The ural valves are much easier
Recommend a good torque wrench for the cylinder head nuts to avoid pulling out a stud

Best of Luck in finding your Ural and Welcome from Henderson, Nevada!!
2014 Ural Patrol

VWK75S

Post by VWK75S » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:47 am

mtrdrms wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:26 pm
I see you're in VT. If you find yourself around NW CT and want to try out a ural, let me know.
Or Sebago Lake Maine,
:cheers: John
The Ural's made Maine a much bigger state.

2009 GearUp 150,000kms
2007 Retro 25,000kms
1991 VWK75S 110,000miles

Ducati Pilot

Post by Ducati Pilot » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:13 am

VWK75S wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:47 am
mtrdrms wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:26 pm
Or Sebago Lake Maine,
:cheers: John
Thanks very much! Like I said, what a friendly group of people here. I’m looking forward to the slow lane indeed!
Cheers back ‘atcha.
Dan. :cheers:
Southern Vermont.
Current rides:
I’m loving this forum!

Ducati Pilot

Post by Ducati Pilot » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:18 am

And while we’re sort of on the subject, a question for my fellow New Englanders Andy and John: if you have some aggressive knobbies, are studs really necessary on winter roads? I wouldn’t think so at all for regular or even deep snow, but maybe for ice? Or can one just cool their jets, take it slowly and carefully and not have too big of an issue. Looking forward to some “local” perspectives...
Southern Vermont.
Current rides:
I’m loving this forum!

Peter Pan

Post by Peter Pan » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:38 am

RC20 said:
Great group even if many of us really don't own the Urals we claim to (that is a joke on a guy who thinks most of us are fake)
This is a fact. We do not own our rigs, They own us. :roll:
Just like our cats are(were) the real owners of the house.
:wink:

Dan, be careful: a long term 2 wheel rider has a harder time to learn the new needed 3 wheeler reflexes, which are opposite of the ones for 2 wheeler. The tough adrenaline moment uses to come when you start to feel comfortable. To me it happened with each rig after about a month of riding it. "Ok, I have got it, what a nice wheather----OH, HOLY $H.T :bs: :puke: What happened? ... That was close."

Examples:
First rig Germany December 13th 1986:
first day 3 times straight into the pasture, second day road side plock, 3 weeks later in Norway 3/4 salto mortale into the left ditch in 1 m deep snow, rig got to stay on its number plate and I got hanging from it like the pig to slaughter breathing snow

Second rig Costa Rica December 13th 2004:
first day ride was extreme, sidecar break bounded in several left hand serpentines over steep cliffs... 4 weeks later other dirty pants occurrences.

3rd rig Oregon-Alaska July 2013.
4th week in Anchorage: a target fixed old indian lady heading right into us crossing all lanes => sway right ...shout out of the tub "Hey, the taxi"...sway left => :hot: ... an hour later a flat tire....3 spokes were broken.

Luckily my guardian angel took care each time. But beware some people learned the hard way that night mares are dreams too.

(A few years ago one guy lost rig and his young son on his way back from a rig meeting.)

Sven
Last edited by Peter Pan on Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:16 am, edited 4 times in total.
Sophie Travelair = Patrol 2013
8 weeks 12.000km Oregon-Alaska-Oregon
With a DIY foam air filter the rig runs well even in tropical rain = :moto:
Final drives: 1. at 5000km, 2. at 34.000km(+friction plates) 3. at 42.386km
transmission: 1. 40.000km. 2. installed
Engine: 1. 43.388km crank replacement: Back on the road since 23.Okt.2019 :party:

The Avatar are 2 rice grains stating life's essence:
"The most important you cannot see!"
=> Attitude makes the difference!

windmill

Post by windmill » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:59 am

I had a Ducati E900,, doing the valves looked like a frame up rebuild. I'll never own a Ducati again. In comparison, the Ural is an absolute pleasure to service, and takes a fraction of the time.

I'm currently running a K37 with screw in studs on the pusher of my M70. In the Seattle metropolitan area we don't get much snow, but when we do it can be a real problem with our hills, little in the way of plows, and a tendency to thaw and freeze. As soon as the snow is gone, the studded tire will come off as dry roads and higher speeds cause them to come out. I would avoid studs unless ones terrain demands them.
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2007 Patrol 100k km and counting,
2018/20 M70

Ducati Pilot

Post by Ducati Pilot » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:38 am

windmill wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:59 am
I'm currently running a K37 with screw in studs on the pusher of my M70. In the Seattle metropolitan area we don't get much snow, but when we do it can be a real problem with our hills, little in the way of plows, and a tendency to thaw and freeze. As soon as the snow is gone, the studded tire will come off as dry roads and higher speeds cause them to come out. I would avoid studs unless ones terrain demands them.
Interesting take on only running studs on the pusher. Here in New England our winters are no joke. Even in a mild winter our annual snowfall is measured in feet, sometimes many of them. Except for my F250, all our cars and the kids cars wear studs from October to March, typically. The 4WD F250 stays home in ice storms. I would love to hear from someone here that has traversed winter roads regularly.
Southern Vermont.
Current rides:
I’m loving this forum!