Ear plugs

Newbies, introduce yourself here. Are you thinking about getting one and have questions? Ask your basic questions here. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of The Greasy Wrench" section.
Forum rules
Here's the place for those who are newb or thinking about buying a Ural or Dnepr to introduce themselves ask those typical "newbie" questions. Try using the "Search" link at the top of the page to see if your question may have been asked before. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of the Greasy Wrench" section.
RC20
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019

Re: Ear plugs

Post by RC20 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:45 pm

Its a very subjective area, what works for one is a miss for someone else though the foam squeeze insert seem to be the best broad band as it were.

I had one guy who hated the squeeze but did well with the harder version, go figure.

So, start simple and work up if that is not working for you.

As noted, around town no, longer trips yes.
Fear No Gravel
Formerly Owned: ( various rides on others)
Honda 90
2 x CB750K (one a true Japan Model flown to Hawaii by a P3 Orion Sub Patrol Aircraft!)
1 x CB700 SC (RC20 is the actual in house production Model)
1 x R80GS (ok to start with, learned to love it for what it was)
1 x CB450K
1 x 2019 cT Terracotta

Mechanic/Technician/Engineer: Electro Mechanical Systems

BinDerSmokDat

Post by BinDerSmokDat » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:58 pm

antimatter wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:04 am
I personally think the helmet intercom industry is ripe for inclusion with noise cancelling technology, where your intercom would use a sensor inside to send a cancelling wave form for the wind noise outside. But, so far no-one seems willing to offer that.
Sena has it...

https://www.sena.com/product/momentum-inc

A helmet is a bigger space and subject to a lot of noise so the system has to be more complex (and more expensive) than a set of headphones or earbuds. It's taken a little time for the price of the tech to come down where it could be included in a helmet. Sena even does a version with a built-in HD camera dead center in the top of the helmet.

Personally I find using a set of E.A.R.Soft 3M ear plugs reduces noise, fits well and doesn't interfere with traffic sounds...and works with all my helmets. (READ: I'm cheap and ain't buying new helmets with noise cancelling just yet.)
I have used them for years, including in conjunction with a hearing loss monitoring program with fitment testing at a chemical plant I worked at, so I know they work and that I'm installing them correctly.

My next helmet purchase, I'd definitely consider noise canceling.

BinDerSmokDat

Post by BinDerSmokDat » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:04 pm

RC20 wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:45 pm
Its a very subjective area, what works for one is a miss for someone else though the foam squeeze insert seem to be the best broad band as it were.
Don't ever squeeze, roll.
By rolling the plug between your fingers you get a uniform compression, making it easy to insert.
Roll gently at first to reduce the diameter to 3/4 of starting diameter and then gently increase pressure while rolling.
You should be able to get the plug almost down to Q-tip thickness.
The softer foam holds its shape better when rolled, I don't like and don't recommend stiffer foam ones.

Another tip, reach behind your head with the opposite hand and pull your ear up and back slightly, this opens the canal and allows for easier insertion.

GHGoodwin

Post by GHGoodwin » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:52 pm

:FI:Igor wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:35 pm
When I use ear plugs I use regular rolled up foam type. However, most of my noise was coming from wind rushing across the bottom of my full helmet. Discovered I can greatly reduce the noise by wearing a rolled up shamagh around my neck to break up the wind.
My favorite also.
Hal

2011/12 Tourist - "The Russian"
It's a long list.
2014 Patrol - "Blackbird"

RC20

Post by RC20 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:57 pm

:roll:

I will go with good intent but you might check before putting out that kind of advice. I am 67 years old and have worked around machinery (hiint , Mechanic /Technician/Engineer) for 30 some years and consr9iton before that.

Squeeze is what the field guys call em even though yes we roll em.

I do know how to insert the devices and how to wear muffs thank you. :oops:
Fear No Gravel
Honda 90
2 x CB750K (one a true Japan Model flown to Hawaii by a P3 Orion Sub Patrol Aircraft!)
1 x CB450K
1 x 2019 cT Terracotta

PoppyAOK

Post by PoppyAOK » Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:23 am

BillyG wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:22 am
Back story. I have bad tinnitus. In a quiet room the sound in my head is somewhere between a jet engine and the sound of water coming out of a fire hose. Life time of standing too close to things that go "boom", motorcycles, airplanes, helicopters, tools, blah, blah, blah. Wearing ear protection was unheard of in my youth...and when it became main stream you were a pu$$y for doing it...if the clock could be turned back. Can't stand going to bed at night unless at least 3 fans are going as that frequency seems to counter the whine in my ears. During the day...I listen to music at loud levels to drown out the whine...yeah...I know...it's counter intuitive and doing more damage...but the whine...oh the whine.

I've spent a lot...and I mean a lot of time researching hearing protection. So I'm going to attempt to pass along some info on a very complex subject. I will make a bunch of generalizations which is dangerous. Don't nit pick. Here we go....

No muff, active or passive...no $$$ custom molded ear plug (no matter what your audiologist tells you) surpasses the lowly, cheap polyurethane foam ear plug WHEN PROPERLY INSERTED. Short of encasing your gourd in cement (not cement, but this has been done) you cannot get more than 33 dB reduction in noise and that is with foam plugs. Any other device whether passive or active (electronic sound suppression) does not make the 33 dB bar.

The main reason is bone conduction of sound. Sound energy travels through the bones in your head, neck and chest and still trickles up to your ears. Experiments in which the test subjects head was encased in various substances/devices resulted in a reduction of only 40 dB due to the above.

For those of you who use muffs or custom molded plugs...if they are more than 3 years old...they are toast. Seals degrade (no matter how they "look" and your ear canal grows throughout your life so after 3-5 years the custom plugs are not sealing properly and noise is leaking in. It's a fact. Don't argue. Foam plugs when INSERTED PROPERLY and only used once or twice (even foam plugs don't last forever skin flints) excel at noise reduction. For those who say they are too big and hurt...many companies like Howard Leight make "Small" for you guys with sissy size ears.

Let's move on to the good stuff. Any exposure at or above 85 dB causes damage to hearing. You can be exposed to 85 dB for 8 hours without hearing damage. 140 dB's and above causes instant, irreversible damage to your hearing. As the dB's go up the exposure time drops dramatically. Now this is important, EVERY 3 dB INCREASE IN NOISE DOUBLES THE SOUND ENERGY TO THE EAR. Stop. Think about that. Every 3dB reduction in noise IS A BIG, BIG DEAL. Every 3 dB INCREASE in noise to the ear cuts the exposure time IN HALF. That means if you are wearing hearing protection rated at 30 dB and I am wearing protection rated at 33 dB, I would be getting 1/2 the noise energy pounding my ears as you would be. Some will say that doesn't sound so bad. dB energy is exponential. Going from 0 dB (a whisper) to 10 db (a pin dropping on a floor) is 10X the noise energy. Going from 10 db to 20 db is 100X the noise energy. From 20 dB to 30 dB is 1000X the energy...you can keep doing the math...but I think you may get the idea. Another way to look at it is exposure to 140 dB (jet taking off) causes instant hearing damage. Exposure to 190 dB and above causes death (sound energy turns to shock waves). That's only a 50 dB increase kiddies.

There are no half measures in hearing protection. Use the highest dB reducing (33 dB) foam plugs to protect what hearing you have left. Even with 33 dB if you are into loud hobbies like the shooting sports (impulse noise vs. continuous), you are just damaging your hearing by nibbles instead of big chomps.

Attached are two charts; one showing noise dB's by activity...the other showing exposure time by increasing dB's. Note how that exposure time cuts in half with each 3 dB. I'll say it again. EVERY 3 dB REDUCTION IS A BIG, BIG DEAL.

To wrap this back into motorcycles...note on the noise activity chart that riding a motorcycle is 100 dB's. Looking at the exposure chart you will see that exposure to more than 15 minutes at 100 dB causes hearing damage. Assuming you are wearing properly fitted 33 dB plugs you would now be at 67 dB (perfect world) which is below the 85 dB threshold and you could now ride 8 hours plus with no hearing damage. Technically, you could wear hearing protection that gives 15 dB or better of reduction (100 dB - 85dB = 15 db) and be "safe". But every 3 dB reduction counts! The more sound energy you can keep from bouncing off yours ears the better.
Man, I use a pair of earplugs just like this one from Big Ear.

RC20

Post by RC20 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:06 pm

By rolling the plug between your fingers you get a uniform compression, making it easy to insert.
Roll gently at first to reduce the diameter to 3/4 of starting diameter and then gently increase pressure while rolling.
You should be able to get the plug almost down to Q-tip thickness.
The softer foam holds its shape better when rolled, I don't like and don't recommend stiffer foam ones.

Another tip, reach behind your head with the opposite hand and pull your ear up and back slightly, this opens the canal and allows for easier insertion.
While good advice for a newbie, after 50 years of work I did figure a few things out. :clap: :lol:
Fear No Gravel
Honda 90
1 x CB450K
1 x 2019 cT Terracotta

harryball
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by harryball » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:14 pm

For those that experience pain from ear plugs...
I was never able to find ear plugs that didn't cause so much pain after 45 minutes I had to take them out. I finally found some, I've had them in my ears for more than 3 hours straight with no pain on a single trip and now have multiple trips of more than an hour with them. NO PAIN! I love wearing ear plugs now. (I paid for these, this is not a paid review, this is what I really think about them).

---
2017 - cT - "Georgia" My wife's rig.
2017 - M70/Retro, Sigmund. My wife's other rig.
Robert
http://HabitatForBats.org - Give a bat a home!

RC20

Post by RC20 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:33 pm

If plugs hurt then whatever it takes.

I ran upwards of 12 hours with the (rolled not squeezed) plugs in and was fine.
Fear No Gravel
Honda 90
1 x CB450K
1 x 2019 cT Terracotta

harryball
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by harryball » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:38 pm

RC20 wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:33 pm
If plugs hurt then whatever it takes.

I ran upwards of 12 hours with the (rolled not squeezed) plugs in and was fine.
Completely agree, for the lucky 97% that don't experience pain from ear plugs, use what you like best. Kind of like shoes, most people (including me) can buy off the shelf, but some must have custom shoes or walk in pain. Love my ear plugs, works on motorcycles, tractors, lawn mowers, gun fire, wives, traffic, crowds and more!
---
2017 - cT - "Georgia" My wife's rig.
2017 - M70/Retro, Sigmund. My wife's other rig.
Robert
http://HabitatForBats.org - Give a bat a home!

rebelrider
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by rebelrider » Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:52 am

I have the same issue as Harryball. After about 5 minutes, my ear canals are itching, burning, and going numb at the same time. Doesn't matter how I put them in. At home I use earmuffs, but for riding, I found some make-your-own custom earplug 2-part putty on Amazon. Mix the two parts together, squash them in your ears, and wait a few minutes for them to cure. Then take them out, trim off excess, and you're done.
Mike
Image2014 Ural M70 "Trogdor"
1987 Honda CMX250C "Rebel"
1979 Puch Moped "Wasp"
1971 Honda SL100

RC20

Post by RC20 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:13 pm

[/quote]Completely agree, for the lucky 97% that don't experience pain from ear plugs, use what you like best. Kind of like shoes, most people (including me) can buy off the shelf, but some must have custom shoes or walk in pain. Love my ear plugs, works on motorcycles, tractors, lawn mowers, gun fire, wives, traffic, crowds and more!
[/quote]

My issue was flat feet and concrete floors. I thought I was a gonner foot wise 15 years ago as it started to kill my feet (when your feet act up they don't go back to being good again) - not getting away from it, all my equipment was on concret4e floors and allt he floors sans a few were concrete to get to the equipment.

One of the guys had just gotten Wolverines and they looked impressive for cushions (like 3 different methods in one shoe) . So I went down and tried two types. One was a woosey hiker style more for Yuppies and the other was a by god work boot.

Both felt better, the Yuppie ones felt best by enough I could tell (I am not a sensitive kind of guy) - I tried to convince myself to go with the he man style but my poor hurting feet voted for the Yuppiie hikers.

first time I even wore a pair of work shoes out of a store and for the rest of the weekend, then onto work and and been buying them and variations ever since (they dropped my original hiker line, sigh) . They were my weekend shoes as well.

Good news is that the new ones are almost as good and Gortex so I do't have to shift to rubber boots when it rains, they stay dry. Get on the Helly Hanson Rain Gear (bibs and coat though the Coat is now Carheart) and I am good up through a gully washer.
Fear No Gravel
Honda 90
1 x CB450K
1 x 2019 cT Terracotta