Newb intro

Newbies, introduce yourself here. Are you thinking about getting one and have questions? Ask your basic questions here. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of The Greasy Wrench" section.
Forum rules
Here's the place for those who are newb or thinking about buying a Ural or Dnepr to introduce themselves ask those typical "newbie" questions. Try using the "Search" link at the top of the page to see if your question may have been asked before. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of the Greasy Wrench" section.
inked1

Newb intro

Post by inked1 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:52 pm

Hey there. Quick, I hope, (I can be long winded at times), intro. First and foremost, complete virgin when it comes to side hacks. Never driven, never ridden in one. Sat in one once. LOL Anyway, from there, a bit more experienced. I've been riding two wheels on the street for 41 years. Had a street bike before I owned my first car, and have had at least one bike in the garage ever since. Currently have 4 in there. My daily, if there's no snow, is a 2017 Harley Limited. Yeah, a geezer bike. I have a 1988 1200 Sporty I bought new and can't part with. An 86 1100 Sporty I bought at a cop auction and proceeded to cut the back off of to hardtail. Yeah, who needs kidneys or a working flexible spine? That bike is a long term work in progress. I also have an 81 GS550 Suzuki that is currently carbless as I rebuild the four on there. Although I own more Harleys, I just really like anything with two wheels, so have no fear of prejudices from me. I like em all.

I'm a service tech in the pump industry, very experienced working with the hands. Been doing all my own auto and bike maintenance since the early days when I was too broke to pay anyone. In my defense, I raised four kids and somehow managed to keep all of them with running driving vehicles. LOL From the lurking I've already done here, and other sites, it seems that those skills will be used/tested if and when I buy my first Ural. Ain't skeered.

Central Illinois born, Peoria area, (don't hold that against me please), and that area is where I'm currently living. Would be great to hear from anyone here on the forum that lives nearby.

Nearest dealer is at least 2 1/2 - 3 hours away, so kinda a chore to just "drop by" for a look see. Not many Urals advertised on the obvious, to me obvious anyway, sites near by. Craigslist and FB marketplace being those sites. Any recommendations as to other sites to check would be great. I'll be checking out this sites sales area soon as well.

As I mentioned, Central Illinois. I'm looking at rigs for a couple of reasons. First and foremost, I'm not getting any younger and I know that someday, that 1000 pound Harley is gonna be real heavy and hard to hold up. Better to plan ahead before I actually need it. Trikes really don't appeal to me, so sidehacks are the next option, and one I like. I fully understand LONG distance travel isn't recommended, at least not if miles per day is the goal. On the Limited, that's usually what happens. My wife and I like to travel on vacations aboard the bike. If it comes time to travel on three wheels, I'd probably look at something bigger with more power than a Ural to do the work. Right now, I'm looking for something fun. Something to extend my riding season a bit later into the year, if there's a light snow on the ground. A fun means of getting to and from work one or two days a week, I live 35 miles from the office, and in a rural area, so the two wheel drive option appeals to me from a, "looks like it may snow a bit" prospective. My rural road isn't first on the plowing list. Some high way riding on the way to work, (about 6 or 8 miles), and some two lane 55 mph roads.

Anyway, long winded intro. Thanks for reading if you didn't fall asleep before you made it this far. I'll just be lurking and learning, and possibly looking for answers here. Thanks.
Current
2017 Harley Ultra Limited Low
1988 1200 Sportster
1986 1100 Sportster Hardtail project
1981 Suzuki GS550
A few old Pontiacs, yeah I know, at least one too many wheels on the ground.

Lofty
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019

Re: Newb intro

Post by Lofty » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:24 pm

Welcome to the forum.

As for Sale listings, have a look at Cycle Trader.

https://www.cycletrader.com/Ural-Gear-U ... radius=150
Inventory:
2018 Ural Gear Up
2015 Suzuki DR650
1991 Bianchi Osprey
1952 Columbia RX-5 ('87, NOS)

rivers

Post by rivers » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:44 pm

Welcome. Couple bits of advice. All your 2 wheel experience means nothing to driving a sidecar outfit so don't rely on it. There is a learning curve and you'll have to go through it/learn like everyone else. Not trying to hurt your sensibilities, just stating a fact. Once you get one I highly recommend getting the best training manual out there. "Driving a Sidecar Outfit" by David Hough. AKA "the yellow book".
Very few of us live near a dealer so yeah it's a pain but even fewer of us live near a "good" dealer. You're lucky you have one of the best and most knowledgable dealers in the country about 300 miles from you. Heindl Engineering in Eaton, OH.
Joe
014 GU
"I'm lost but I'm making good time."

Marine Corps Codu

Post by Marine Corps Codu » Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:18 pm

Welcome and ditto with what Joe (Rivers) said about 2 wheel experience. You WILL have a few pucker moments while understanding the learning curve of 3 wheels vs 2 wheels. But we all did it and survived!!
Keith Birkhofer
Marine By Choice
2018 Gear Up
Former Bikes:
1947 Cushman Motor Scooter
1958 Cushman Motor Scooter
1964 Yamaguchi
1965 Honda 250
1968 KZ100
1960 Honda 55 (2 of them)
2002 Honda Gold Wing
2006 Ural Patrol
2005 BMW GS1200
2018 Ural Gear Up

Happytrails

Post by Happytrails » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:57 pm

Welcome to the forums :)
-JR

2018 Ural GearUp, Urban Camo
1991 Honda Goldwing SE

"riding is good therapy"

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:32 pm

Greetings from a limey :D

Image What they said took me 4 months to learn the basics and 2 years to start getting really comfortable with it. Not regretted a second of it tho, my annual riding mileage has at least doubled, I even want to go out in winter. Only regret is should've done it years ago – altho wouldn't have been one of the newest rigs.
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta
(aka Oranzhevaya Opasnost, "The Orange Peril")

mattzahr

Post by mattzahr » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:57 pm

Welcome to the nuthouse....St. Louis area here...check out the dealer in Edwardsville, IL and in Pacific, MO. Both good places if you're not wanting to go over to the Chicagoland area. Also a few places in IA and a place in Lincoln, NE. Try Terry Crawford (MI) - and Heindl (SE OH) are VERY strong supporters of this site that are relatively close to you.
'16 cT - Terracotta aka Orange
Proud member of the "Group W Bench"

Geno89074

Post by Geno89074 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:45 am

Hahahahaha...Welcome
Those GS Suzukis were quite the machines...
Had a GS 850 w/ shaft drive as a kid and it would go faster than it liked to corner....
I now have one of its Grandsons a Bandit 1200 for my touring bike
2014 Ural Patrol

Geno89074

Post by Geno89074 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:47 am

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=55612

carbed starter rig
2014 Ural Patrol

Geno89074

Post by Geno89074 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:48 am

...And a nicer more spendy 2 wheel drive model
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=55550
2014 Ural Patrol

Geno89074

Post by Geno89074 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:51 am

...AND a Super Nice well-maintained and accessorised Fuel injected model ready to ride!!

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=55577
2014 Ural Patrol

Geno89074

Post by Geno89074 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:56 am

And a really sweet carbed model....this is the one i would buy if i didnt already have a rig!!
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=55361
2014 Ural Patrol

inked1

Post by inked1 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:23 am

Thanks all. Yeah, I knew the drive versus ride will be completely different, and know there will be a learning curve. I'm fortunate to have a few acres of yard, well except at mowing time, to practice in, as well as a number of large weekend abandoned parking lots that won't mind me driving in circles. LOL The farmers around me, (not me, I couldn't grow anything if my life depended on it) are very relaxed about using their fields as long as they don't get torn up, so there's that too. If/when the time comes and I take the plunge, plenty of practice areas before I take it to the streets.

Thanks again for the welcome, and thanks for all the sale links Geno. Do you also have links to couches to sleep on when I try and sneak one of these home? LOL
Current
2017 Harley Ultra Limited Low
1988 1200 Sportster
1986 1100 Sportster Hardtail project
1981 Suzuki GS550
A few old Pontiacs, yeah I know, at least one too many wheels on the ground.

RC20

Post by RC20 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:50 pm

The biggest key is taking the ego down to low blower. Very low blower. I have been on bicycles, cycles, front end loaders, rock trucks (the kind with no tailgate you see in mines, 25 yard beds ) dump trucks of all types, dozers, jeeps, plow trucks, 4 wheelers - I could write a book. The one I had no time on but was the kind of treachery of a Ural was the Honda 3 Wheeler (my brother who was the Mario Andretti type tried to do himself in innumerable times with one of those)

I thought I did a good job of it and tried to do myself in 3 times and I was in no way pushing things (well the pusher was but you know)

The areas of cycle cross over are the heads up full alert at all times.

Its not the off road though I suspect it has its own areas.

Its on road. What got me was the sudden jerk to the left throttle off in lower gears. Ditto, somewhat less but hared accell and the hard pull to the right.

My advice is to practice on local roads at lower speeds and work up.

When I got mine I had a trip to work out as well, had a ball but Learned more after I got home as far as handling. I learned enough on the trip to mostly stay out of trouble.

5 -10 mile trip and think about how you and the Ural did, repeat and more better.

Side car course if you can find one.

Finding a place and working on the right hand turns, still need that though I have lifted her up off the road good forcing right turns deliverable hard knowing I was doing so and ready for it.
Fear No Gravel
Formerly Owned: ( various rides on others)
Honda 90
2 x CB750K (one a true Japan Model flown to Hawaii by a P3 Orion Sub Patrol Aircraft!)
1 x CB700 SC (RC20 is the actual in house production Model)
1 x R80GS (ok to start with, learned to love it for what it was)
1 x CB450K
1 x 2019 cT Terracotta

Mechanic/Technician/Engineer: Electro Mechanical Systems

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:36 pm

RC20 wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:50 pm
Its on road. What got me was the sudden jerk to the left throttle off in lower gears. Ditto, somewhat less but hard accell and the hard pull to the right.
Yeah need to slow right down before changing down, then release the clutch gently while matching rpm to the lower gear (as best you can!). Best way to think of it is, what gear do I need to be in to accelerate from this, now lower, speed.

I've said this before, the way I was taught, right from the get go, was to use the inertia of the sidecar to help you make turns. So in other words, you throttle off in left handers, and accelerate thru right handers. (For me in the UK, would be the other way round.) This means, ideally, you go into left handers a wee bit quicker, i.e. like late braking, then throttle off at the start of the curve; for right handers slow right down (especially for noobs! Slow way WAY down! Then slow down some more! Until you figure how it's going to behave) then you can accelerate thru the turn and the bike will pull right helping to make the turn. The effect is nothing like as pronounced in top gear as it is in the lower gears so you can be caught out that way too. I have been! My sidecar tire got very intimate with several kerbs in the beginning. No damage tho fortunately :D
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta
(aka Oranzhevaya Opasnost, "The Orange Peril")