Sidecar mounting - alignment with factory markings

Newbies, introduce yourself here. Are you thinking about getting one and have questions? Ask your basic questions here. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of The Greasy Wrench" section.
Forum rules
Here's the place for those who are newb or thinking about buying a Ural or Dnepr to introduce themselves ask those typical "newbie" questions. Try using the "Search" link at the top of the page to see if your question may have been asked before. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of the Greasy Wrench" section.
LVGS
Comrade
Comrade

Sidecar mounting - alignment with factory markings

Post by LVGS » Mon May 13, 2019 1:59 pm

While trying to figure out where to mount a fuse block, I noticed that one of the frame-to-sidecar mounts was not aligned with the factory markings (see pic). Is this a concern and more to specifically, should I be paying attention to anything in particular while riding to determine severity of mis-alignment?

Thanks for your feedback and please forgive the painfully naive newbie question...many more to follow.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nanoose Bay (Vancouver Island), BC CANADA

In the garage:
‘18 Ural Gear Up
‘17 BMW R1200RS
‘10 BMW R1200GS

Lokiboy
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019

Re: Sidecar mounting - alignment with factory markings

Post by Lokiboy » Mon May 13, 2019 3:08 pm

The mark (horizontal in the picture) may be from the dealer as an initial reference point, away from the dogleg sleeve. If your rig is tracking straight (it will never be perfect) and you’re happy, then erase the mark and reapply it so you’ll have reference in the future. I take a Dremel tool and make two small cuts then paint - it can’t be easily erased.

Make sure the two pinch bolts (holding up the guard) are pretty tight. They are part of what keeps the side car in place.
2011 Gear Up - "Erika"
Yorktown, VA

Mains: 127, Idle: 40, Needle: 1 shim
MKIII air filter
90,000 km and counting

heindlengineeringural
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by heindlengineeringural » Mon May 13, 2019 4:36 pm

The white marks are a starting reference point from the factory. When they are setup at the dealer, many times the marks will not be aligned. I have seen some way off and others close. You will note that the front is adjustable as well and it will not have a mark from the factory. It all depends on how well you rig currently drives as to if you need to make adjustments....
Heindl Engineering, LLC
Ural Dealer in Southwest Ohio
(937) 787-3686
www.heindlengineering.com
sales@heindlengineering.com

LVGS
Comrade
Comrade

Post by LVGS » Mon May 13, 2019 6:33 pm

Thank you both very much.

The rig appears to be tracking straight - to the extent I can determine as a new rider. Are there any guidlines or tests to help determine how ‘true’ the alignment might be i.e. that I can do myself?

In the garage:
‘18 Ural Gear Up
‘17 BMW R1200RS
‘10 BMW R1200GS

Lokiboy

Post by Lokiboy » Mon May 13, 2019 6:38 pm

LVGS wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 6:33 pm
Thank you both very much.

The rig appears to be tracking straight - to the extent I can determine as a new rider. Are there any guidlines or tests to help determine how ‘true’ the alignment might be i.e. that I can do myself?
If it’s tracking straight, then leave it alone. If you don’t remember anything else... the adage, “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.” applies to a Ural
2011 Gear Up - "Erika"
Yorktown, VA

MKIII air filter
90,000 km and counting

LVGS
Comrade
Comrade

Post by LVGS » Mon May 13, 2019 6:49 pm

Lokiboy wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 6:38 pm
If it’s tracking straight, then leave it alone. If you don’t remember anything else... the adage, “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.” applies to a Ural
Point taken, however I have no memory or frame of reference except that it pulls to the right when under throttle and left when not...

In the garage:
‘18 Ural Gear Up
‘17 BMW R1200RS
‘10 BMW R1200GS

Lokiboy

Post by Lokiboy » Mon May 13, 2019 7:10 pm

LVGS wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 6:49 pm
Lokiboy wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 6:38 pm
Point taken, however I have no memory or frame of reference except that it pulls to the right when under throttle and left when not...
If it’s pulling left when not under throttle then the reference mark may be correct. You have too much toe in. Loosen the rear strut mount between the bike and sidecar, and loosen the two pinch bolts. Slide the dogleg / sidecar towards the bike. Use the reference mark. Tighten everything up and take it for a spin.

There are plenty of threads talking about the exact measurements for the sidecar. And you’re more than welcome to try the Rube Goldberg set up. But the way I just described is the easiest.
2011 Gear Up - "Erika"
Yorktown, VA

MKIII air filter
90,000 km and counting

LVGS
Comrade
Comrade

Post by LVGS » Mon May 13, 2019 7:13 pm

Lokiboy wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 7:10 pm
If it’s pulling left when not under throttle then the reference mark may be correct. Loosen the rear strut mount between the bike and sidecar, and loosen the two pinch bolts. Slide the dogleg / sidecar towards the bike. Tighten everything up and take it for a spin.
Thanks, I’ll give that a try.

In the garage:
‘18 Ural Gear Up
‘17 BMW R1200RS
‘10 BMW R1200GS

RC20
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by RC20 » Tue May 14, 2019 10:28 am

If you mean letting off on throttle then it will go left.

Someone posted a helpful test, more or less if at speed and its not pulling one way or the other you are ok.

Road camber will vary so that is a factor.

Rather than make adjustments get the whole story, even worth a trip to Bellingham (Ferndale Ural dealer) if you need to see a dealer and get an experienced view on how its setup.

I wouldn't just jump in and start adjusting if its decent for you right now.

When I pick mine up I have the option to swing back by the dealer to get corrected if its not quite right for me. But I will have some travel on it and a good idea how its all working. You are realy shooting for average comfort.
Formerly Owned: ( various rides on others)
Honda 90
2 x CB750K (one a true Japan Model flown to Hawaii by a P3 Orion Sub Patrol Aircraft!)
1 x CB700 SC (RC20 is the actual in house production Model)
1 x R80GS (ok to start with, learned to love it for what it was)
1 x CB450K
1 x 2019 cT Terracotta On Order
1 x 5 miles run on a Norton Sidecar and thought it was great (main reason I followed Ural)

Mechanic/Technician/Engineer: Electro Mechanical Systems

Snakeoil
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by Snakeoil » Wed May 15, 2019 9:50 am

Although there are specs for toe (a range, actually), and attitude, after a rig has been set up, I think there are two metrics that determine correct alignment. Tire wear and easy of operation. If you find that riding the rig the way you most frequently ride it (load in the hack or empty) is work and you have to put extra effort to keep it going down the road straight, then you probably need to address the alignment. If it is relatively easy to motor down the road with only minor corrective input like you would make with just about any vehicle, I'd leave it alone. Just keep an eye on your tires for any uneven wear, again, like you would with any vehicle.

I'm no expert. This is an opinion I've developed thru riding mine. My rig tracks straight, tire wear is uniform and input to the bars when going straight is minimal.
Regards,
Rob
Proud member of the Peanut Gallery
2000 Ural Tourist
40 Pilots, 122 Mains
Before you say something stupid, always ask yourself, "What would Harpo say?".

54vintage
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by 54vintage » Wed May 15, 2019 11:27 am

check this out.....easy to do at home

https://youtu.be/lxq2pExzwmQ
Chuck Loftin

2014 Sage Green GU

1974 R90S----gone
2009 G650GS---outtahere

BinDerSmokDat

Post by BinDerSmokDat » Wed May 15, 2019 2:13 pm

Mine must have not come with reference marks, because I didn't see any when I had to mess with the alignment straight from the dealer.
The dealer had about 15 degrees of left bike lean dialed in, :shock: felt like I was falling off with the bike standings till, riding it as a noob was even scarier.

Ideally...

Sidecar frame should be aligned 90 degrees to the ground Left to Right
Sidecar frame should be aligned 90 degrees to the ground Front to Back
Both the front and rear dog legs should be level to ground or as close as possible and matching angles; i.e. not one up and one down.
Adjust bike lean, about 0-5 degrees left lean.
Toe-In is about 3/8" but you might need a smidge more/less.

One last thing, most Ural sources I've seen have shown the straight edge set against BOTH the bike's rear and front tires to establish the toe-in measurement.
Most non-brand specific sidecar alignment guides show the straight edge set to the REAR wheel only, spaced with a short board, ignoring the front wheel altogether.

I have done the alignment both ways and find it handles better when you do the latter.
This makes sense when you consider that the front wheel will almost always be turned a smidge even when going straight to account for crown, acceleration, deceleration, etc.

BinDerSmokDat

Post by BinDerSmokDat » Wed May 15, 2019 2:16 pm

One more thing if you don't have a nifty angle finder, hang a string off the top of the rear tire with a washer tied to the end for some weight.
The string should touch the tire at the sidewall at the top and be about a 1/8-1/4" from the tire at the bottom.

RC20
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by RC20 » Wed May 15, 2019 4:52 pm

I have an angle finder, what do you use as the base reference to put it on?

I can think of several but experience beats speculation all day.
Formerly Owned: ( various rides on others)
Honda 90
2 x CB750K (one a true Japan Model flown to Hawaii by a P3 Orion Sub Patrol Aircraft!)
1 x CB700 SC (RC20 is the actual in house production Model)
1 x R80GS (ok to start with, learned to love it for what it was)
1 x CB450K
1 x 2019 cT Terracotta On Order
1 x 5 miles run on a Norton Sidecar and thought it was great (main reason I followed Ural)

Mechanic/Technician/Engineer: Electro Mechanical Systems

LVGS
Comrade
Comrade

Post by LVGS » Wed May 15, 2019 8:03 pm

Thank you EVERYONE for the extremely helpful feedback. I will go through the process of determining the magnitude of (mis)alignment if any, as described by BinDerSmokDat, and review with the dealership at my first service.

I will also review the youtube video recommended earlier.

Thanks again; its proving to be a great experience being part of this community. Hopefully, I will be able to make a meaningful contribution soon!

In the garage:
‘18 Ural Gear Up
‘17 BMW R1200RS
‘10 BMW R1200GS