Making the change

Newbies, introduce yourself here. Are you thinking about getting one and have questions? Ask your basic questions here. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of The Greasy Wrench" section.
Forum rules
Here's the place for those who are newb or thinking about buying a Ural or Dnepr to introduce themselves ask those typical "newbie" questions. Try using the "Search" link at the top of the page to see if your question may have been asked before. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of the Greasy Wrench" section.
Msblu79
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019

Re: Making the change

Post by Msblu79 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:20 pm

The heck with the ballast, just learn to ride it like it is. I didn't do the ballast thing and never had a problem....yet. That was 9 years ago. :lol:
2010 Black Patrol

Happytrails

Post by Happytrails » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:49 pm

I tossed a couple sand tubes in the sidecar. I used to use em in my truck for the winters. They are about 60lbs each so 120lbs been haulin around. Lookin forward to taking them out this spring. :thumbsup:
-JR

2018 Ural GearUp, Urban Camo
1991 Honda Goldwing SE

"riding is good therapy"

hotflash44

Post by hotflash44 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:19 pm

Harbinger wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:16 pm
Mr Wazzock wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:43 pm
hotflash44 wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:20 am
only thing that i did on my first ride was try to put my leg/foot down at a stop felt real foolish, haven't ridden a 2 wheeler sense, could be a real problem if the reverse happens. :boogie: :shock:
Yep as I said above have to consciously think about keeping feet on the pegs every time you stop. :D

Say HF who'da thunk me and thee would be giving advice to noobs, why was only 2 years ago we was green rookies :lol:
Pffft... Give me a little time and about 10K on the bike and I'll be right there with you guys :-P

I help n00bs all the time on another forum. But yeah they are trying to learn on 2 wheels...

Again I appreciate all the advice I've received here. Most of it has gone in one ear and is still bouncing around in there somewhere while I take it all in.

I have to admit the one thing I have gotten mixed advice on is how much to weigh down the sidecar. I will for sure on the trip home from the dealership but not so sure about after. I do see the point in not over doing it as most of the time I will have nothing in the sidecar so best to get used to it. I'll try and find bags of weight in smaller increments so I can remove bags one at a time until I am comfortable not having the extra weight. I really cannot wait to play with this machine.
i also did the weight thing,approx 100 lbs on the floor of the car, but i took it out after a few days. i found that as long as i kept my wits and drove the Ural like its designed to be driven all has been good. just be aware a little wheel climb on the car can and probably will happen if you loose concentration in a tight right turn or even worse a long tightening right sweeper, like a freeway off ramp. just watch ahead and avoid these situations and the ballast probably isn't needed as much. Also there is also a issue sometimes but not so common when taking a left turn way to fast as the side car nosing down and lifting the rear drive wheel. :cheers:
2016 gear up asphalt grey, name Seryy Medved ,Air America CIA circa 1967/8 Vung Tau Viet Nam USS Tutuila ARG-4 (AND JUST A TOUCH OF AGENT ORANGE!)

Geno89074

Post by Geno89074 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:28 pm

So from the dealership in November 2018 put 2 50lb bags of playground sand in the tub - one on floor/one in trunk
Faced long ride across the valley in heavy traffic in the dark.
The chair wheel never came up which was the point so I could focus on just learning the inputs of the rig.
Took the sand out of the floor of the tub and added to the trunk.
Now 100 lbs of sand in trunk.
Practiced getting the chair flying during the day in an empty parking lot.
Having a neutral wrist on throttle was very important for rolling the throttle back off to help the chair touch back down same as on motorcycle while practicing wheelies.
After 3 or 4 weeks went down to 50lbs trunk only.
Sometimes I take it out but I am often carrying passengers so the sand helps maintain the stability I am looking for.
By FAR the best suspension mod I have done is Seans R3W Damper: https://sovietsteeds.com/forums/viewtop ... 11&t=53553

I had altered tire pressures and suspension/shock settings all over the place. Now I run the oem pressures with a little extra preload on the rear shocks 1 click from soft on the front and tub shocks. Seans Damper makes the transitions from on/off throttle, braking and bumpy roadways much more gentle and less pronounced. Highly recommend.
And Hat's off to Mister Penrod for pointing me in this direction, Sean for his excellent kit and all the other Good Board Members that had installed/tested this damper.....
CHEERS ALL-Off to work now!! -Geno
2014 Ural Patrol

MizzouRider

Post by MizzouRider » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:20 pm

I’ve put about 1,000 kms on my T since I traded my KTM 690 for it. I’ve been on two wheels for a long time. I found the transition to be easier than I thought it would be. I started with 100 lbs of sand in the sidecar, but pulled it out fairly quickly.
I’ve had the hack off the ground a few times. The first time in a parking lot (empty) and running clockwise faster and faster until I felt it come up. Then a few times more in the lot, just so I knew what it would feel like. I have no sand now, and had it come up on a quick right turn not long ago. It didn’t freak me out and it came right back down. I may, some day, get good at it, but at 64, I’m not planning on becoming an expert. I did find adding a steering damper a good addition. I bought the one from Sean, and have really liked it. It may give you some false confidence that you’re a better rider than you really are.
I love taking my T off the tarmac. The Ural is a hoot in the gravel, and does surprisingly well, even with one wheel drive.
I will say you are doing it right by just committing and going with a newer bike. I wish I would have gone ahead and bought a newer one, already loaded up, and with 2 wd. Now I’m kind of stuck wanting to upgrade, but I can’t justify it. Ha! My 2012 runs great, has only been stuck once (now I have a rope puller) and hasn’t had a mechanical hiccup. I’ll bet you have a blast.
Jeff
Ural 2012 T 1wd
Also ride a 2014 BMW R1200GS Adventure

Harbinger
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Harbinger » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:24 am

A few people have mentioned a winch or pulley is a good idea. Does anyone have this that can comment on it? I may consider getting it this summer once I have the bike. If I do should I have the dealer do the installation?

http://www.uralne.com/electric-winch-system-for-ural/
Cascade Green 2019 Ural GU. Waiting for delivery.
Toronto, ON

hotflash44

Post by hotflash44 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:38 am

Harbinger wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:24 am
A few people have mentioned a winch or pulley is a good idea. Does anyone have this that can comment on it? I may consider getting it this summer once I have the bike. If I do should I have the dealer do the installation?

http://www.uralne.com/electric-winch-system-for-ural/
could come in handy for sure. www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBizFqfR31g
2016 gear up asphalt grey, name Seryy Medved ,Air America CIA circa 1967/8 Vung Tau Viet Nam USS Tutuila ARG-4 (AND JUST A TOUCH OF AGENT ORANGE!)

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:36 pm

To be honest the ballast is probably more for psychological benefit. Just knowing it should be more difficult to tip it over if (when?) I cock up a turn. :D

I found after not too long that the extra weight was a nuisance and a hindrance, the rig actually cornered better without it, oh and, accelerate and brake a bit better too, well duh :D
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta
(aka Oranzhevaya Opasnost, "The Orange Peril")

hotflash44

Post by hotflash44 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:35 pm

Mr Wazzock wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:36 pm
To be honest the ballast is probably more for psychological benefit. Just knowing it should be more difficult to tip it over if (when?) I cock up a turn. :D

I found after not too long that the extra weight was a nuisance and a hindrance, the rig actually cornered better without it, oh and, accelerate and brake a bit better too, well duh :D
yeah i agree, we are all different when it comes to learning how to learn a new task, im the type that likes to take it easy and learn the particular ups and downs of doing things properly, like the fearsome raising of the side car wheel. it can happen thats for sure ,but need not be a scary situation if you understand why it happens and what to do to avoid a dangerous accident. all common sense and just learn and take your time. ballast is a good way for a beginner to avoid getting in over your head, but just going slow at first and using your head is IMO the best way. Learning the built in quirks of the Ural is a real challenge, not including all the other things.One thing i have noticed is that new Ural drivers start off all excited and after a few thousand KM you don't see them on the forum . sure Urals are cool looking and draw lots of UDF,but they arnt for everyone. i have been riding over 60 years and the Ural over 2 years and i love the machine and will ride as long as im able to. wish the new guys the best and hope the Ural makes them as happy as it does for me. :cheers:

Harbinger
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Harbinger » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:27 pm

Pretty sure I'll be one that sticks with it. The Ural is the perfect match for the stable and just like me a little quirky ;-)
Cascade Green 2019 Ural GU. Waiting for delivery.
Toronto, ON