Ural or "Custom" question for Folks who have (or have had) BOTH

Newbies, introduce yourself here. Are you thinking about getting one and have questions? Ask your basic questions here. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of The Greasy Wrench" section.
Forum rules
Here's the place for those who are newb or thinking about buying a Ural or Dnepr to introduce themselves ask those typical "newbie" questions. Try using the "Search" link at the top of the page to see if your question may have been asked before. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of the Greasy Wrench" section.
jphish1

Ural or "Custom" question for Folks who have (or have had) BOTH

Post by jphish1 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:25 pm

I noted where there appear to be a number of "Hooligans' on this site with both a Ural & other Hack rigs. (elizilla & on2wheels52 to name a few) I was wondering out of both idle curiosity & genuine interest in your comparisons / preferences & the pros / cons of both. I only have experience with Ural & minimal at that. So curious as to your thoughts & why 2 sidecars ? Purposed different ? Like the Beemer better but cant sell the Ural :P I have friends who have asked me these questions - I have no relevant experience to provide an answer. :lurker: Thots ?
current machines: 2015 GU (invisible urban camo) / 2011 Tiger 800Xc Past: 650KLR/ST1300/Buell Ulysses/955 Tiger/Tiger 110/1200 Sportster etc.

hotflash44
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2018

Re: Ural or "Custom" question for Folks who have (or have had) BOTH

Post by hotflash44 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:43 pm

jphish1 wrote:I noted where there appear to be a number of "Hooligans' on this site with both a Ural & other Hack rigs. (elizilla & on2wheels52 to name a few) I was wondering out of both idle curiosity & genuine interest in your comparisons / preferences & the pros / cons of both. I only have experience with Ural & minimal at that. So curious as to your thoughts & why 2 sidecars ? Purposed different ? Like the Beemer better but cant sell the Ural :P I have friends who have asked me these questions - I have no relevant experience to provide an answer. :lurker: Thots ?
similar, but 2 different worlds, Ural is one of a kind in looks handling and of course crowd interest. the others, are IMHO a little less interesting, but do have a purpose. that being faster and probably more comfortable and less maintence. And you don't get UDF (Ural delay Factor), with brand X. You might suggest im a little Bias,NAW! :cheers:
2016 gear up asphalt grey, name Seryy Medved ,Air America CIA circa 1967/8 Vung Tau Viet Nam USS Tutuila ARG-4 (AND JUST A TOUCH OF AGENT ORANGE!)

jphish1

Post by jphish1 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:56 pm

Yeah - I only now get the "crowd interest" dynamics. I just picked up a 2015 GU last week in the invisible urban camo - Rode it today to run some errands - had people at stop lights say "Cool Machine!" about 3 or 4 times - Even a pretty sad lookin homeless guy smiled & gave a thumbs up as i passed by. Not to mention copious parking lot admiration activity. As a result I was late to all my appointments! Must either factor in future UDF or take subaru. I thot UDF was sort of an urban myth - I now stand corrected. Guess thats what the Urban camo paint is for? :roll:
current machines: 2015 GU (invisible urban camo) / 2011 Tiger 800Xc Past: 650KLR/ST1300/Buell Ulysses/955 Tiger/Tiger 110/1200 Sportster etc.

chaos2
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by chaos2 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:05 pm

Long ago I had a Flexit sidecar on my K75S. It was fun, but not being designed as a rig had some drawbacks I didn't like, suspension and geometry not quit optimized, no reverse and clash of styling between the bike and car. I eventually converted it back to a 2 wheeler as god intended and decided my next sidecar would come that way from the factory..
past afflictions include limey motocars and bikes, R60/2 & a R65ls, and a Citroen.
Now a 2012 rusty GU and a 87 K75s with 200k miles both bought new
dual K&N cones on homemade intake, 40/137.5
Raceway needles
Modtop exhaust
$29 VW Hydraulic steering dampener

jphish1

Post by jphish1 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:20 pm

Oooo - I like the P40 Warhawk teeth! I agree - Factory (even if its from 1943) was a good idea for me - as I have NO idea what I'm doing!

INSUBORDINATOR
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by INSUBORDINATOR » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:20 pm

IF I wanted to drive a Sidecar on a long super slab trip, it would not be a Ural. With adequate resources, I would probably build up a Goldwing tug, & probably use a Ural hack. Because I'm old - I ride my Ural locally only, because my enthusiasm no longer outweighs the discomfort of getting extra cold, wet, & over taxing my myself.
Always prudent to use the right tool for the job & ones capabilities.
Current Motorcycles: 02 Ural Tourist, 2010 modified Royal Enfield G5 Deluxe.

"Be who you are & say what you feel. Those that matter won't mind, those that mind - don't matter."

rivers

Post by rivers » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:59 pm

Why do some folks own two or more? Same reason folks own more than one 2 wheeler...cause they can. Two are nice if you want one as a daily driver and one to pound dirt with. Or one as a DD and one for a freeway flier. If I wanted a freeway flier (I don't) I would go custom. Otherwise the Ural is just fine for my use...off pavement and paved back roads. It's short comings are freeway flying and off roading use.
Joe
014 GU
"I'm lost but I'm making good time."

jphish1

Post by jphish1 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:25 pm

I fully agree with the "right tool for the job" theorem...including skill set. I totally get the freeway flying - but ya mean Short comings 'OFF' off road or more like a bad USFS road? I dont plan on blazing any new trails - but might get it a bit muddy :mrgreen:

rivers

Post by rivers » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:00 am

jphish1 wrote:I fully agree with the "right tool for the job" theorem...including skill set. I totally get the freeway flying - but ya mean Short comings 'OFF' off road or more like a bad USFS road? I dont plan on blazing any new trails - but might get it a bit muddy :mrgreen:
No. when I said "off road" off road is what I meant . Sorry the things love off pavement aka dirt roads. These goofy rigs were designed for dirt roads and related speeds and IMHO work excellent on not too steep dirt even when it turns to mud or is snow covered or generally turns to crap. Urals do not have the proper gearing or HP for off road work. Lotsa folks mistakenly assume with Ural 2WD they can follow their buds running mega buck/built locked-n-loaded 4x4's. Ain't happening. :(
Joe
014 GU
"I'm lost but I'm making good time."

Claus

Post by Claus » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:35 am

I own my Ural since 1993 and it was my DD for the first couple of years. Meanwhile if have become older and own a car to commute. And I´m tired to carry all my tools along when I just want to visit my parents some 750 kilometers away and make a motorcycle trip out of it. So I made up my mind to build up a Suzuki GSX1100G with a self built hack, leading link forks and a combined disc brake system. This rig is for Autobahn use and is great fun on well paved winding roads as well. It´s as fast as 110 mls per hour if I want to and it has plenty of space in the sidecar to haul things. Plus I start the thing and ride where ever I want to without any problems. This rig allows me not to get fed up by the Ural´s limited possibilities and to still love and use it.
The third rig we own is my partner´s BMW R100R with ural hack, because she does not like to ride solo bikes. And we have her 750 Ural rig, because she doesn´t want to ride her BMW rig in winter because of salt. As long as I am able to maintain and repair our bikes myself, all of them will stay. If I had to sell I would keep the Ural.
owned bikes: 93 Ural hack domestic model, 01 Ural 750 hack
92 BMW R100GS, 92 Suzuki GSX1100G hack, 95 BMW R100R hack with Ural sidecar

jphish1

Post by jphish1 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:03 am

I get the limitations - back to the "right tool for the job" thing. DNR / FS & BLM roads are about about all my skills will allow & as I begin my 70th trip around the sun - thats plenty "off road" for me. 110 mph !!?? I'm still trying to get over 10 mph on right hand turns :o . The GSX must be a sweet ride!

Claus

Post by Claus » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:26 pm

Honestly speaking: everything over 100 mph is no fun but possible (and legal in Germany).The asymmetrical ride becomes a bit nervous at that speed.
But doing long distance rides at between 80 and 95 mph is comfortable and the rig behaves very well. (perhaps the fuel consumption is a bit questionable ;-) )
As it is with my 650 Ural (22 mpg at 55 mph for the Ural and 18.8 mpg at 100 mph for the Suzuki. Where the Ural never goes under 25 mpg and the Suzuki goes to 35 mpg when cruising on normal highway ).
Image the right hand side one with the auto tyre on the front wheel

GHGoodwin

Post by GHGoodwin » Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:06 am

One BSA post/mail delivery rig with a solid welded frame. One BMW K75 with a Hannigan. One Honda 750 with fiberglass something. Two Urals and a host of (now sold) 2 wheelers. I kind of miss the K75 rig but I'll keep the Urals. At 68 these are my last bikes. I'm not foolish enough to think I can ride forever.
Hal

2011/12 Tourist - "The Russian"
It's a long list.
2014 Patrol - "Blackbird"

Claus

Post by Claus » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:23 am

Hal, my father is going to celebrate his 80 st birthday end of June. He still rides a Honda CB 500 and a Simson S51. He is not doing lots of miles anymore. But he is happy to do cruise a few miles when the weather is fine and he wants to forget about his geriatric issues.
And I am thankful that he is able to do that...

CarlS
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by CarlS » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:54 am

Hal, I am 74 and still riding two wheels. I rode 200 miles yesterday. I am looking a buying a Ural for when the day comes I will not be able to ride two wheels.
Carl S
Old Soldier

Current rides: 2012 Triumph Tiger 800XC, 2003 Triumph Bonneville T100, 1968 Triumph Trophy TR6R

Past Rides: Too many to list; but of interest here - 2003 Triumph Bonneville T100 w/Velorex sidecar, 2013 HD Sportster w/Texas sidecar, 1974 Yamaha TX650, 1966 Triumph Trophy TR6R