just bought a 2017 Gu how bad is going to be

Newbies, introduce yourself here. Are you thinking about getting one and have questions? Ask your basic questions here. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of The Greasy Wrench" section.
Forum rules
Here's the place for those who are newb or thinking about buying a Ural or Dnepr to introduce themselves ask those typical "newbie" questions. Try using the "Search" link at the top of the page to see if your question may have been asked before. Please post any tech questions in "The Order of the Greasy Wrench" section.
solo1966
Party Member
Party Member

Re: just bought a 2017 Gu how bad is going to be

Post by solo1966 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:00 am

I just wanted to make this comment. I don't understand why these bikes are knocked so much. I have now over 12185 miles with no problems whatsoever, other than parking brake, and speedometer. I picked up the bike with 345 miles on it. I got the bike last July.
:foilhead: Love my GOD,country,and fear my government,2017 GU

hotflash44
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2018

Post by hotflash44 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:43 am

solo1966 wrote:I just wanted to make this comment. I don't understand why these bikes are knocked so much. I have now over 12185 miles with no problems whatsoever, other than parking brake, and speedometer. I picked up the bike with 345 miles on it. I got the bike last July.
i agree also my 2016 GU has only 5000km but no issues, after being on the forum i see a pattern with a Ural unlike other brands you can get a lemon for sure, just the nature of the UMZ operation. but cant help but feel that some folks just cause issues. bad riding skills poor maintence etc. asking more from the Ural than she can deliver is a real problem. :cheers:
drive a 2016 gear up asphalt grey .Air America CIA circa 1967/8 Vung Tau Viet Nam USS Tutuila ARG-4 (AND JUST A TOUCH OF AGENT ORANGE!)

Donbmw

Post by Donbmw » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:55 pm

Just roll over 25000K on my 2015 bought December 2016. Besides the fuel sensor only issue early on. Most fun on a motorcycle I have had.
2015 Patrol, 1980 R65, 1982 R65 bought new, 1975 R 90/6, 1959TR3 Triumph

Don

windmill

Post by windmill » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:29 pm

I think a large part of many issues is when folks try to ride them like a solo. The Dynamics of a sidecar put a lot of additional stress on everything, therefore one needs to be more deliberate with the throttle, clutch, gearbox, and brakes.
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2007 Patrol 100k km and counting,
2018 M70

RC20
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by RC20 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:55 pm

I just wanted to make this comment. I don't understand why these bikes are knocked so much. I have now over 12185 miles with no problems whatsoever, other than parking brake, and speedometer. I picked up the bike with 345 miles on it. I got the bike last July.
Only 4 tanks were lost in action. 10 crewmen died. For the ones in tanks not lost, or survived, life is good. For the dead ones (more accurately family and friends) not so much.

Subsets of one off data don't tell the story. You need the whole data set to be relevant though people tend to be selective (pre conceived notions, long story of getting people mad at me my first trip in an AK licensed vehicle because I told them what Alaska was really like, had to give up (actually yes to igloos) or get into fights)

They have gotten a lot better. The guy who has his break down in the first 50 miles will feel differently. The guy who has repeated problems and or with no solutions or end in sight, ditto.

All the good maint in the world will not help out a defective bearing.

Best is keeping in perspective, knowing its better but also knowing you could have one problem or even more.
100k estimated cycle driving:

Formerly Owned: ( various rides on others)
Honda 90
2 x CB750K (one a true Japan Model flown to Hawaii by a P3 Orion Sub Patrol Aircraft!)
1 x CB700 SC (RC20 is the actual in house production Model)
1 x R80GS (ok to start with, learned to love it for what it was)
1 x CB450K

Mechanic/Technician/Engineer: Switchgear/ Generators/Fire Pumps/Computer Controlled Building Systems

EASirider
Party Member
Party Member

Post by EASirider » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:15 am

harryball wrote:Welcome! I am THRILLED you purchased that rig. Believe me, THRILLED. I thought my July 4th may have involved a trip to Charlotte. Today I discovered the pinion shaft on my Wife's 2010 Patrol is broken and we will not be going to BURP this year. She immediately located this rig in Charlotte and identified it as an "option". I explained a broken pinion shaft does not require an entire rig replacement but somehow she wasn't listening. She explained how great the rig was, the right color and options and a good price. She will be thrilled it found a good home... though I suggest if you meet her you approach slowly and be ready to run, you know, like you would a bear, and avoid direct eye contact.

But hey, fantastic, enjoy! :cheers:

EDIT: she just read this. Don't put your location on the forum, in fact, have you considered witness protection? :| 8)
That's funny right there!
Have fun now, while you still can.

windmill

Post by windmill » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:47 pm

RC20 wrote:
Only 4 tanks were lost in action. 10 crewmen died. For the ones in tanks not lost, or survived, life is good. For the dead ones (more accurately family and friends) not so much.

Subsets of one off data don't tell the story. You need the whole data set to be relevant though people tend to be selective (pre conceived notions, long story of getting people mad at me my first trip in an AK licensed vehicle because I told them what Alaska was really like, had to give up (actually yes to igloos) or get into fights)

They have gotten a lot better. The guy who has his break down in the first 50 miles will feel differently. The guy who has repeated problems and or with no solutions or end in sight, ditto.

All the good maint in the world will not help out a defective bearing.

Best is keeping in perspective, knowing its better but also knowing you could have one problem or even more.
I think self fulfilling prophecy can be part of it too. Ones expectations can influence their their actions in a negative, or positive manner.
Barry

"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".

2018 M70

RC20
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by RC20 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:32 am

Agreed. What is routine to be solved to one is a catastrophe to another.

Worth reading "Survive the Savage Sea". Keep in mind my folks lit out of Wisconsin when I was age two headed to AK in a Willeys jeep. My dad could and did fix anything.

Still a major blow up and you perfection can go one way. Someone makes a big deal out of a miner issue and put that in perspective.

For anyone involved in this, its a balance. Don't be blind, don't be more negative than the situation really is.

Sorting through it, you see problems, some really serious, but having watched it for some time, there is major progress as well.

If you have the time and place to work on things, fixing problems can be fun. Out on a trip like I plan, pretty well wrecks it.

Mine tend to be long runs far from home, so that changes what works and what does not. I have a shop but not a garage. A major repair would be an issue (call Brothers!)

Also to be kept in mind, no one makes anything like it. So you buys your tickets and hope for the best, deal with it as best you can if its not as good as you hoped for (or your break down is close to home!)
100k estimated cycle driving:

Formerly Owned: ( various rides on others)
Honda 90
2 x CB750K (one a true Japan Model flown to Hawaii by a P3 Orion Sub Patrol Aircraft!)
1 x CB700 SC (RC20 is the actual in house production Model)
1 x R80GS (ok to start with, learned to love it for what it was)
1 x CB450K

Mechanic/Technician/Engineer: Switchgear/ Generators/Fire Pumps/Computer Controlled Building Systems

windmill

Post by windmill » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:56 pm

One can have a rig built like it, but it will cost a lot more. When HD discontinued their sidecar rig back in 2010, it was $30k.
Barry

2018 M70

Happytrails
Party Member
Party Member

Post by Happytrails » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:51 pm

windmill wrote:One can have a rig built like it, but it will cost a lot more. When HD discontinued their sidecar rig back in 2010, it was $30k.
$30k is a pile of money. Before I went Ural shopping (still haven't bought one yet) I went and looked at a 96 goldwing with a Hannigan sidecar. The sidecar was very nice and the owner showed me the sales slip for the sidecar and it was $13k installed. Its apples to oranges compared to a Ural but I'm starting to see why Urals cost what they do and its not just the sidecar.
-JR

2018 Ural GearUp, Urban Camo
1991 Honda Goldwing SE

"riding is good therapy"

windmill

Post by windmill » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:43 pm

Happytrails wrote:
windmill wrote:One can have a rig built like it, but it will cost a lot more. When HD discontinued their sidecar rig back in 2010, it was $30k.
$30k is a pile of money. Before I went Ural shopping (still haven't bought one yet) I went and looked at a 96 goldwing with a Hannigan sidecar. The sidecar was very nice and the owner showed me the sales slip for the sidecar and it was $13k installed. Its apples to oranges compared to a Ural but I'm starting to see why Urals cost what they do and its not just the sidecar.
I considered an Indian Chief tomahawk rig, but what advantages it offered didn't justify the $41k price tag for my needs.
Barry

2018 M70

WEGUNTER
Order of Suvarov
Order of Suvarov

Post by WEGUNTER » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:46 am

Been following this conversation here with great interest. Solo has a winner here. Must have gotten a rig built on Tuesday. Based on my own limited knowledge, I think there are three main factors leading to long term reliability: proper dealer set up, rig break in procedures, and riding the rig within its design limitations. However, there are some true lemons out there and they generally reveal themselves very early on. More than a few threads on this forum of rigs going catastrophic within a few hundred klicks. That being said and after reading Illya's recent interview (on You Tube), I think Ural's concentration on Quality Assurance is finally reaching fruition. Back in the early days catastrophic failure was common and expected. Now it is an exception.

Just my thoughts,
Bill

hotflash44

Post by hotflash44 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:19 am

WEGUNTER wrote:Been following this conversation here with great interest. Solo has a winner here. Must have gotten a rig built on Tuesday. Based on my own limited knowledge, I think there are three main factors leading to long term reliability: proper dealer set up, rig break in procedures, and riding the rig within its design limitations. However, there are some true lemons out there and they generally reveal themselves very early on. More than a few threads on this forum of rigs going catastrophic within a few hundred klicks. That being said and after reading Illya's recent interview (on You Tube), I think Ural's concentration on Quality Assurance is finally reaching fruition. Back in the early days catastrophic failure was common and expected. Now it is an exception.
think your correct, basic observation of this forum would make one see that conclusion. been some long trips with just regular mechanical issues, IE Frans big trip for instance,many Uraliestas with good reliability reports is a testament to big improvements in Quality from the IMZ plant. :cheers: Just my thoughts,
Bill
drive a 2016 gear up asphalt grey .Air America CIA circa 1967/8 Vung Tau Viet Nam USS Tutuila ARG-4 (AND JUST A TOUCH OF AGENT ORANGE!)

solo1966
Party Member
Party Member

Post by solo1966 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:42 pm

EASirider wrote:
harryball wrote:Welcome! I am THRILLED you purchased that rig. Believe me, THRILLED. I thought my July 4th may have involved a trip to Charlotte. Today I discovered the pinion shaft on my Wife's 2010 Patrol is broken and we will not be going to BURP this year. She immediately located this rig in Charlotte and identified it as an "option". I explained a broken pinion shaft does not require an entire rig replacement but somehow she wasn't listening. She explained how great the rig was, the right color and options and a good price. She will be thrilled it found a good home... though I suggest if you meet her you approach slowly and be ready to run, you know, like you would a bear, and avoid direct eye contact.

But hey, fantastic, enjoy! :cheers:

EDIT: she just read this. Don't put your location on the forum, in fact, have you considered witness protection? :| 8)
That's funny right there!
I remember the warning you gave me Harry, don't tell her how good this thing has been.

solo1966
Party Member
Party Member

Post by solo1966 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:45 pm

The only real gripe I have is the thing eats back tires like candy. I am hunting for tires that will last.