Ural handlebar fairing

The "Pimp my Ride" section for Soviet bloc bikes. Everybody seems to have their own custom add-ons, modifications & accessories. Share your tips and post pictures of them here.
Forum rules
This is the place for topics concerining modifying and accessorizing your Ural or Denpr.
DanKearney
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019

Ural handlebar fairing

Post by DanKearney » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:54 pm

Greetings All,

I've never owned a bike with a windshield or full fairing. I am considering purchasing one of the Ural OEM fairings for my 2003 Patrol. However, I've already experience what high altitude and headwinds can do to my top speed when I'm loaded down with camping gear.

I've heard folks on another forum I frequent say that putting a windscreen on their bike (In this case a Yamaha XT225 -- One of my other steeds) enabled them to obtain a higher top speed and did not affect them adversely.

I'm wondering if there's any other folks on this forum who've ridden their Ural both with and without this fairing.

Is it worth the bucks? Does it do any good at keeping rain and bugs off? Does it significantly (Or at all) affect top speed?

Cheers,

Dan K.
Black Hawk, CO

Slow Joe
Party Member
Party Member

Post by Slow Joe » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:18 pm

Dan,
I can not give you first hand information on riding a Ural with a fairing. Prior to buying my Retro, I had a long conversation with my local Ural dealer about a Gear-up, and I mentioned at that time the possibility of putting one of the factory fairings on the bike. The dealer (a very knowledgeable guy) strongly advised against a factory fairing. His observation was the "solid" lower portion of the fairing prevented people riding offload from watching where their front tire was going. His recommendation, a clear fairing, top to bottom. Not an answer to your question, but something to think about....
Joe
The Democrats are the party of government activism, the party that says government can make you richer, smarter, taller, and get the chickweed out of your lawn. Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work, and then get elected and prove it. P.J. O'rourke

Bilgekeeldave
Commissar
Commissar

Post by Bilgekeeldave » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:02 pm

I bought a windshield for my Dnepr, it looks cool but it is a big air dam and it makes a noticeable difference in performance at speed and it killed the mileage.
I took the windshield off and got a full face, flip front helmet. I like it much better. The flip front helmet doesn't look as retro as the rig but it is warm in the winter and is comfortable in the summer. I also got my mpg back.

Dave
Dave

RAMCO-Dnepr MT-16

jndomin
Comrade Colonel
Comrade Colonel

Post by jndomin » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:12 am

My windshield drags me down too, but I like the protection.
JD

2006 URAL Patrol
1968 HONDA CL 350

Right is right, even if everyone is against it;
and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn

Paindoc
Comrade General
Comrade General

Post by Paindoc » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:04 am

Slow Joe wrote:Dan,
I can not give you first hand information on riding a Ural with a fairing. Prior to buying my Retro, I had a long conversation with my local Ural dealer about a Gear-up, and I mentioned at that time the possibility of putting one of the factory fairings on the bike. The dealer (a very knowledgeable guy) strongly advised against a factory fairing. His observation was the "solid" lower portion of the fairing prevented people riding offload from watching where their front tire was going. His recommendation, a clear fairing, top to bottom. Not an answer to your question, but something to think about....
Joe
Clear top to bottom doesn't solve the view of the road problem. My full clear screen becomes opaque with dust if dry and mud if wet, so I take it off if riding serious dirt. It is also risky to ride severe rough with a full clear because the mounting holes will develop cracks from strain and shake.
2007 Arctic Camo Gear-Up

DanKearney

Post by DanKearney » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:24 am

Thanks everyone for the input. SInce I've never used a fairing before, I never thought ofthe reduced view of the road immediately ahead. I do a lot of trail riding, so that wouldn't work for me then. Seems the consensus in these few replies are that it is as I suspected about the negative impact on top speed then also.

I've been using a full face helmet since the day I first rode back in 1983, so I guess I'll just stick with it.

Thanks all.

Dan K.

pigdog
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by pigdog » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:05 pm

You may want to look at what Mr. COB uses on his bike; it is a smaller fairing, clear, but big enough to take some of the wind off of you.
'00 Ural BC 650 "Strekoza" Gone but not forgotten.
'11 Ural Patrol T
'04 Silverado 2500HD "Old Shaky"
'97 Honda Foreman 400

"Physics is like sex. Sure, it may give some practical results, but that's not why we do it." - R. Feynman

DirtyDR
Order of Lenin
Order of Lenin

Post by DirtyDR » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:13 pm

Dan,
I've ridden mine with and without and I much prefer having the fairing on. I rode it once without since I got used to it and I won't ride without it again. Of course riding in the snow all Winter has a lot to do with it but I leave it on even when off roading in the Summer and I don't have any trouble seeing the trail. Lastly the hack windshield is the piece that I can't stand, it drags me down and makes for some real interesting wind currents in the wind tunnel between the bike and the hack but since I don't carry a monkey I don't care about the hack windshield.
Dana
Dana
Моё судно на воздушной подушке полно угрей
2006 Patrol in Blue

Proud member of the Patrol Patrol

S 854
Commissar
Commissar

Post by S 854 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:04 pm

I've been using a National Cycle shield this past winter, it's just large enough to deflect the wind from my torso, my helmet is in the airstream, keeps the fogging down a little. Bar mitts and gloves keep my hands toasty.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'07 Arctic: The Russian Raucous Ship

Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out...

n3303j

Post by n3303j » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:35 pm

Fairing made the difference when riding below 25F.

Fairing made riding at 0F quite acceptable.

Fairing will come off at 40F+.

Clothing takes care of rain.

Fairing takes care of "wind chill factor".

Doesn't seem to make too much difference on top speed (750 with 650 transmission gearing). Rode in some heavy gusting conditions last week. The bike was not a problem.

If the fairing is blocking your view of the front wheel you are probably not looking far enough ahead to be able to react to the obstacle anyway.
Ron Cichowski

1998 Moto Guzzi V11 EV STOCK
1996/2014 Ural Sportsman.
Severely Upgraded, Modified and Remanufactured.
1977 Moto Guzzi 850 T3-FB ALMOST STOCK