Convert headlight socket for H4 headlight

The "Pimp my Ride" section for Soviet bloc bikes. Everybody seems to have their own custom add-ons, modifications & accessories. Share your tips and post pictures of them here.
Forum rules
This is the place for topics concerining modifying and accessorizing your Ural or Denpr.
sKiZo
Party Member
Party Member

Convert headlight socket for H4 headlight

Post by sKiZo » Sun May 26, 2019 7:45 pm

Ran into a surprise while working on the 2012 T here. Some weird 6 position square plug. Only three wires using it, so I figure it's just finding out the color code used on the Ural's plug.

Oh. Not converting from the stock headlamp - just trying to add a modulator, and couldn't find one with the Ural type connectors. I should be able to just snip the connectors on the modulator and replace those with standard female blade connectors, then just slip those onto the stock connections without having to modify the Ural harness.

** And if anyone knows a source and part number for both male and female sides of the stock Ural connector, pass that on please. With those, I'll be able to keep the module plug 'n pray ...

Been there, done that anyone?

sKiZo
Party Member
Party Member

Re: Convert headlight socket for H4 headlight

Post by sKiZo » Sun May 26, 2019 8:22 pm

I may have answered my own question when I opened up the headlight shell and found an H4 connection. dOH! Most difficult part now might be fitting the modulator and it's harness inside the shell.

siberman1
Hero of the Soviet Union - 2019

Post by siberman1 » Mon May 27, 2019 11:13 am

sKiZo wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 8:22 pm
I may have answered my own question when I opened up the headlight shell and found an H4 connection. dOH! Most difficult part now might be fitting the modulator and it's harness inside the shell.
I added a 5000K 35w HID light to a Hella Glass lens. A HID light requires a small ballast, about 2/3 size of deck of cards. There was no room for it IN the headlight bucket, so I put it behind the bucket near the relays under the speedo/handle bars. There is room in there if you carefully move/adjust the relays and wires in there. It is just a suggestion.

Also, I had to cut the Ural headlight wiring to get the plug out of the headlight bucket. Then re-connect the plugs>>ballast wires. Not difficult, easy to do. It has been there for about 3 years now, survived rain-wind-snow-hail-etc and Moab/Canyonlands 2 times, zero problems or issues.

YMMV
Sent from my laptop using OEM fingers, ordinary Mouse, and LCD-screen
2014 полынь зеленый гU
Сибирь Экспресс #2

Zero payments

sKiZo
Party Member
Party Member

Post by sKiZo » Mon May 27, 2019 1:49 pm

Wondered about how sensitive all the open wiring is in the space behind the bucket, but apparently not an issue. That said, I do plan to add some flexible rubber weather stripping around the front of the shroud and along the bottom of the bucket. Won't be water tight, but should stop a lot of stuff from getting in there.

Looks like I should be able to remove the female H4 connector that attaches to the headlight temporarily and route the modulator harness thru the factory hole, leaving the rest of it behind the bucket. Plenty of room back there now that I've
relocated a bunch of accessory relays and such that had been crammed in there over the years. Should be simple enough to change the male H4 connector on the modulator out with the original Ural connector so no changes to the bike harness, or just make short extensions using standard blade connectors to slip onto the stock pins. Also, from the looks of the fins on the modulator's controller, it could probably enjoy some extra room for air circulation.

PS - anyone wondering about the green wire - that "T"'s into the horn wire. You can program the modulator to change flash modes when you hit the horn for a visual signal as well. Kind of a neat feature.

Mr Wazzock

Post by Mr Wazzock » Mon May 27, 2019 2:50 pm

What's a modulator?
Mike H
2016 Ural cT, in glorious terracotta
(aka Oranzhevaya Opasnost, "The Orange Peril")

sKiZo
Party Member
Party Member

Post by sKiZo » Mon May 27, 2019 5:15 pm

It's somebody who wants to kick me off any forum I've ever been to.

Oh, wait ... that's Moderator ... my bad. <G>

Headlight modulators were made legal in US and Canada using the same regulations some time back. Don't know about other areas. What it does is pulses the high beam while the low beam stays solid, making for a strobe effect. Real eye catching - some coming the other way might say annoying, but hey ... those folk probably wouldn't have seen me coming otherwise. I've had them on several bikes since they became legal.

Fun fact ... even after all this time, you might get someone questioning whether they're legal, so I carry a handy dandy wallet size regulation along on rides.

Here's a video of the thing in action. Also covers their "back off" brake light modulator. It's all about being seen, eh.

https://youtu.be/IbQcIGUy4CY

PS ... just did a google and apparently they're not legal in the UK ...

sKiZo
Party Member
Party Member

Post by sKiZo » Tue May 28, 2019 8:10 pm

Well then. Mission accomplished, or at least nothing's exploded yet.

The whole thing fit nicely into the area behind the headlight. Can't see the modulator itself as that's pretty small and just bonded to the lower shell to keep it out of the way. You can also see I didn't hook up the PANIC feature to the horn yet. I'll try it both ways, and maybe just hope not to get into any situations where I have to PANIC.

I think I got a good spot for the daylight sensor too. I made sure the headlight shell still has room to pivot as needed.

Anyone want's to give it a go, the wiring to the URAL harness connector was a bit of a head scratcher, but common sense prevailed. Ural orange wire to modulator red, Ural blue wire to modulator blue, and Ural brown wire to modulator black. Not seen is bullet connectors for the three wire harness into the headlight shell. That way I could disconnect the H4 connector temporarily as it wouldn't fit thru the hole in the shell. I took the modulator's OEM wire loom covers off to use less space.